Surf Cup - DA --- Accepted Teams

To clarify :
There are very poor ECNL teams, as there are DA ones I assume. MVLA doesn't fall in the category. MVLA will not have the competition in SoCal that it used to. Where as we have all heard the non ECNL vs ECNL war the last six years I think now that will be DA vs ECNL vs non label teams.
I think that this is the last two months for the 04 teams where the groups will play one another at all. I am saying that knowing this crowd they will take the results from the last two months and apply them for the next year which I feel is a mistake.

We would love to play MVLA again this surf cup but we all have selected our path and unfortunately that has left MVLA on the outside looking in. But that might not be for long and I am willing to bet our paths will cross again in the near future as the landscape continues to change.

We would love to play MVLA again this surf cup but we all have selected our path and unfortunately that has left MVLA on the outside looking in. But that might not be for long and I am willing to bet our paths will cross again in the near future as the landscape continues to change.
MVLA is really one of the few non-DA clubs at this point that is top notch, but are beatable, along with Legends Riverside - which I still don't know who's leaving for DA, who's guested for them in these early tourneys. MVLA did tie West Coast at Cerritos and lost to Slammers Segovia. Heat is also a strong ECNL team out of Vegas that can compete. SoCal and Texas have placed their top players on the DA landscape. No Cal is still ECNL bias, but with funding and first year skepticism many of these top non-DA clubs could eventually become DA clubs down the road. To do elite Academy correctly, probably should have had 1-2 SD area DA teams, 2 OC teams, and 2 LA teams, 2 NoCal teams, 1-2 in Nevada, 1-2 in Colorado, 1 in Washington and Oregon and that would be the best elite approach league - money and trying to "stomp" out ECNL wrecked this. Just my thoughts.

MVLA is really one of the few non-DA clubs at this point that is top notch, but are beatable, along with Legends Riverside - which I still don't know who's leaving for DA, who's guested for them in these early tourneys. MVLA did tie West Coast at Cerritos and lost to Slammers Segovia. Heat is also a strong ECNL team out of Vegas that can compete. SoCal and Texas have placed their top players on the DA landscape. No Cal is still ECNL bias, but with funding and first year skepticism many of these top non-DA clubs could eventually become DA clubs down the road. To do elite Academy correctly, probably should have had 1-2 SD area DA teams, 2 OC teams, and 2 LA teams, 2 NoCal teams, 1-2 in Nevada, 1-2 in Colorado, 1 in Washington and Oregon and that would be the best elite approach league - money and trying to "stomp" out ECNL wrecked this. Just my thoughts.
MVLA 04 has never played Slammers Segovia so never lost to them, never lost to West Coast, and didn't play in Cerritos. MVLA has played West Coast only once, last spring at the Pre-ECNL Showcase in San Diego, and MVLA won that game. San Juan 04 ECNL is on the same level as Legends Riverisde.

I also think they should have looked at geography and infrastructure. Due to so much pay to play I do feel that to truly elevate the game and get investment from players AND clubs in their "product" which is the player that a fully funded system helps that along.
I would have preferred to only allow DA clubs that could pay for their field space, ancillary training, etc.
It doesn't matter how many "world class players" were previously produced in a geographically closed system

MVLA 04 has never played Slammers Segovia so never lost to them, never lost to West Coast, and didn't play in Cerritos. MVLA has played West Coast only once, last spring at the Pre-ECNL Showcase in San Diego, and MVLA won that game. San Juan 04 ECNL is on the same level as Legends Riverisde.
My bad, got the initials mixed up with LV Premier, which is also a very strong club out of Vegas that is not DA. Saw MVLA play Arsenal in Surf Cup went into PKs. Solid team for sure. Both DeAnza and MVLA last year well coached and solid programs.

Heat 04 ECNL was one of the few teams to beat MVLA. MVLA is definitely a very solid team.

Using the "Hotel Registration List" trick, here are the teams that are listed (don't quote this as being official as I have no idea if all these teams were actually accepted and there were SO MANY teams I very easily could have missed/added some incorrect teams):

ECNL Teams:
Arsenal ECNL-Brown
Crossfire Premier ECNL
Crossfire United ECNL
Dallas Sting ECNL
DMCV Sharks ECNL
Surf ECNL
San Juan Spirit ECNL
SoCal Blues Kale ECNL
Strikers ECNL
West Coast ECNL

Non-ECNL/DA Teams:

Heat FC KR

For the record Heat FC 04 is ECNL as well. Thanks for the list. That took some effort at this point.

68 Teams at 04! I think that is pathetic. What a waste of money. 1 flight for DA and 1 flight for what ever they can put together after that. 24-32 - done! IMO.

68 Teams at 04! I think that is pathetic. What a waste of money. 1 flight for DA and 1 flight for what ever they can put together after that. 24-32 - done! IMO.

This ridiculous number of teams is only acceptable if they are planning on putting all the teams in one giant bracket and having a "March Madness" style single elimination tournament!

Seriously though---826 teams paid ~$1400 dollar to play in this tournament. That is going to buy a lot of tracksuits for some lucky soul!

It's the ole bait and switcharoo. They cash your check before revealing which flight you play in. Sneaky. Who would pay $1500 to play in flight 3?

Seriously though---826 teams paid ~$1400 dollar to play in this tournament. That is going to buy a lot of tracksuits for some lucky soul![/QUOTE]

and that doesn't even take into consideration T-shirt/sweater sales, parking, food, concession........

This ridiculous number of teams is only acceptable if they are planning on putting all the teams in one giant bracket and having a "March Madness" style single elimination tournament!Thank your teams for funding SD Surf DA....

Seriously though---826 teams paid ~$1400 dollar to play in this tournament. That is going to buy a lot of tracksuits for some lucky soul!

Who would pay $1500 to play in flight 3?

Me! I've been waiting five years for an invite to the big dance, and I'm going goddamit. You'll see me with "best of the best" gear from head to toe. If anybody asks what flight were playing in, I'll do the "turn, cough, and mumble" flight 3 routine.

Me! I've been waiting five years for an invite to the big dance, and I'm going goddamit. You'll see me with "best of the best" gear from head to toe. If anybody asks what flight were playing in, I'll do the "turn, cough, and mumble" flight 3 routine.

I have yet to see a Facebook/INSTA post that ever lists flight.
It's usually "WINNERS OF SURF CUP SO PROUD OF OUR LADIES"
Then I scratch my head and they won the raffle soccerlocco does for gear. Every. Single. Time

DA teams aren't allowed to play non-DA teams. It's a shame because I know a couple of the teams that I see listed on the DA list are about to get blasted when they play at surf. It would nice to have the best play against the best, but it won't happen in today's landscape.

Do you know whether this applies to Surf Cup this year? Anyone know? The GDA season doesn't start until September, so I'm curious whether the DA only brackets are required for the summer tournaments. I didn't see anything on the Surf website that suggests that there are DA only brackets. Maybe someone has a link?

Back