Surf Cup - Best of the Best ECNL vs DA

B03 parent here. It was either Surf Cup or Silverlakes. Unless you are a an out of town "Best of the Best", (or just out out town) then you didn't get into Surf Cup. You can't really expect Surf to accept anything more than a token local team (other than 2 mediocre Surf teams) who aren't staying at the $150 a night hotel. Norco was hot but not unbearable. All the brackets that I followed only played one game a day. As someone whose kid plays at Norco all season, I can say that I prefer the fields and the amenities over Polo grounds or Oceanside. If it wasn't the wind, then Norco would be perfect.

The year my younger son got to play in Surf Cup it was as a guest player on a guest team - the National Cup winner in their Cal South age group had won admission, but when they won at Regionals they were no longer available for Surf Cup - so the team my son frequently guested with (ed: - deleting a long story about friends of friends) was asked to fill in, apparently at a huge discount from SC list price.. In their pool round they played three teams from east of the Mississippi, all supposedly their State Cup-equivalent champions or finalists, didn't lose a game, won the group - and then were eliminated by the sister team of the team who was away at Nationals.

Day 1 take away from Oceanside. My dd had fun :) Fields were awesome!!! Branding/Marketing excellent. College Coaches on hand, great weather and very professionally run. A few negatives. I'm not getting the "Best of the Best" tagline. It was everywhere. It's also the name of the the top group in each age group. A slap in some teams faces IMO. Too many customers confused with it. Fix that and no one can touch this tournament. I did smell some stuff that made me feel like I was in Norco and we did have some wind in the afternoon. All and all I give $urf Cup $ports a b+ and for those who score stuff like this "8.978." They would easily get A+ 0r a 10 if they truly fix the "Best of the Best." Lets here from the Norco folks.......

I can tell you that UCLA was at Surf Cup recruiting not at Silverlakes.

Outside of getting in and out of Silverlakes it was a good tournament. Reffing was solid. Fields were good (couple keeper areas sandy but expected). Plenty of pop ups, water stations and a roll out area to use. Friday night was windy but not to hot. Saturday was hotter but a light breeze and not Vegas hot. Late game yesterday was rough only because the drive home. But the 3.5hr drive beats the 5.5hr drive after a surf late monday consolation match. Good deal of coaches in attendance. I could see playing it again.

SL might never have the prestige of Surf, however SL is working very hard at producing a quality event. I was there all weekend and was pleased by the event. Even with the heat they went out of their way to provide amenities to help combat. For example large water cooling fans on the turf fields that were pointed at benches.

2 kids and 11 years of club total, not once did we miss a game due to heat. I also don't recall any teammates missing games due to heat. The only time I seen a player with heat exhaustion was U6 AYSO, and it wasn't serious.

As a referee, I see several players with heat related injuries every year. Usually at the 14-18 ages and boys.

N
UCLA was at Silverlakes. I'm sure their staff can cover both events.
No UCLA was at the Polo Fields watching the players on the game I refereed. Agree, they split their staff. I did talk to two D1 men’s coaches on Saturday and asked them if they were going to Silverlakes. The one coach said “no” and the other coach said “I sent my assistant to that god forsaken place.”

As a referee, I see several players with heat related injuries every year. Usually at the 14-18 ages and boys.

I've gone down myself with heat exhaustion twice, both times during unavoidable exertion in the Navy. The first time was while marching back to the barracks after a timed cross-country run. I suddenly got rubbery legs and couldn't stand up, so they took me away in an ambulance. The Doctor gave me a Coke and let me take a nap in the air-conditioned clinic. The second time was after practicing ground director signaling with live aircraft taxiing just like we told them to, and I passed out when I went back into the air-conditioned classroom. Somebody asked me a question, and I found that even though I knew the answer I couldn't speak the words out loud, and then I was on the floor. The Doctor that time gave me one pill in a bottle and told me to get ready for bed before taking it. It was chloral hydrate - I slept like a rock.

I've gone down myself with heat exhaustion twice, both times during unavoidable exertion in the Navy. The first time was while marching back to the barracks after a timed cross-country run. I suddenly got rubbery legs and couldn't stand up, so they took me away in an ambulance. The Doctor gave me a Coke and let me take a nap in the air-conditioned clinic. The second time was after practicing ground director signaling with live aircraft taxiing just like we told them to, and I passed out when I went back into the air-conditioned classroom. Somebody asked me a question, and I found that even though I knew the answer I couldn't speak the words out loud, and then I was on the floor. The Doctor that time gave me one pill in a bottle and told me to get ready for bed before taking it. It was chloral hydrate - I slept like a rock.

Softy

and now we debate who was where..... Silverlakes had many coaches as well. Many head coaches and many assistants. Does it matter which if they are taking notes and looking at players? Head coaches trust their assistants to recruit too. uggh.

Good luck to my Bruins. My son went SDSU so might be rooting for the Aztecs this year in football

Two of my brothers are SDSU alums. They are required to cheer for UCLA when their niece plays their alma mater so I get it. This is the first year since she has been in college that they don't play them which is kinda sad but I am looking forward to them playing in football this year.

and now we debate who was where..... Silverlakes had many coaches as well. Many head coaches and many assistants. Does it matter which if they are taking notes and looking at players? Head coaches trust their assistants to recruit too. uggh.

Are we debating? One person makes offers for this particular university. If they haven't seen the person play nothing else matters. Assistant coaches would come and watch my kid play all of the time. The offers came from the head coach in the case of the 3 schools that interested my player. No debate when you can text message the coach and your player is in the loop.

There are many roads to Rome and to be quite honest they are looking at incoming freshmen in high school right now (2023 class).

Good luck to you and your player.

I don't have a daughter and I am not debating with anyone. I am laughing at those who are saying which UCLA coach was at which fields because in my opinion it is funny.
They are looking at freshman and sophomores (scouting) but not talking to them or texting them or at least they should not be as of 5/1/19. Assistants scout and report and then the head coach scouts and the head coach offers in most cases it get the loop and how it works. No offers were made to freshman and sophomores last week.

I don't have a daughter and I am not debating with anyone. I am laughing at those who are saying which UCLA coach was at which fields because in my opinion it is funny.
They are looking at freshman and sophomores (scouting) but not talking to them or texting them or at least they should not be as of 5/1/19. Assistants scout and report and then the head coach scouts and the head coach offers in most cases it get the loop and how it works. No offers were made to freshman and sophomores last week.

They weren't looking at sophomores. The 2022 class is built out.

They weren't looking at sophomores. The 2022 class is built out.

SG was watching 2021 and 2022 games at Silverlakes. She was likely keeping tabs on girls that have already committed, particularly the MVLA team.

Maybe she was also looking at some new kids too. UCLA lost their top recruit from the 2020 class to Stanford and have one or two questionable commitments that were made pre-college admissions scandal (if you know what I mean).

SG was watching 2021 and 2022 games at Silverlakes. She was likely keeping tabs on girls that have already committed, particularly the MVLA team.

Maybe she was also looking at some new kids too. UCLA lost their top recruit from the 2020 class to Stanford and have one or two questionable commitments that were made pre-college admissions scandal (if you know what I mean).

I hear you but they are not recruiting any more sophomores they already have spent their money for that year. They are working on replacing the class that will be freshman this year so 2023 graduation year. Obviously with overlapping high school graduation years they could be different birth years.

They only player that they lost to Stanford was a keeper and she most likely looked at the roster and realized that she was going to ride the pine for 3 years. The other player went to Colorado and was a very low ranked recruit who likely was getting little to no money. I don't think that anyone cares about the allegations. If they do they aren't very smart because they are BS and have already blown over. The team is going to be fine for many years to come....

Good luck to you and your player.

Back