Surf Cup - Best of the Best ECNL vs DA

UCLA is ROME bro!!! They kinda get the first pic of the 8th graders and soon to be 9th graders around the world. But it got a little out of hand, right? AC even says its wrong. It's embarrassing what I have witnessed and its stupid. It's like the movie "Click." Everyone is clicking FF instead of slowing down a little. I understand UCLA and others have to go after what they perceive to be future studs and it seems AC has picked well every year :) I know in the top male sports those signing 8th or soon to be 9th graders get mocked hard for it. I was tempted to get my dd in the game early by emailing coaches but we decided to wait. Only one school would have made her decide early at that is our beloved UCLA. However, she would need a full ride for financial reasons and that's not going to be happening :( or maybe be a practice player and get her books paid for. If I had the cash, She would walk on and get on that way :). Always the smallest, but just grew to 5'5 with more to come :)

Stanford gets first pick and even can put gpa requirements on players. Truth be told my player was almost ready to commit there but one last trip to UCLA as a recruit made her remember the propaganda that both of her parents had been indoctrinating her into her whole life and according to her, “it just felt right.”

Rome, Alexandria, Byzantium, Tenochitlan, all great destinations.

Good luck to you and your player.

So let's say my little one decided to commit early because dad is poor and a free ride to ASU is too good to pass up and her coach is "Amazing." She gets to her SR year and her coach bails for a new club deal. The new coach is an asshole and she finally confesses that she hates the dessert and really wanted to play by the beach. She is 18 now too. Now what??????????? This is happening all over the country except at UCLA and few others.
UCLA just got a transfer because a coach left for a better job and I have seen another local kid that was a two year starter at North Carolina and bailed for the SoCal lifestyle, so I know that it happens.

I am not a fan of early commitments. The more info for both parties the better the fit.

Good luck to you and your player.
UCLA will be better for it for sure and so will all the girls looking to make a big decision. I wonder how many dads from SoCal get a call from their dds crying wanting to come back to where it all began. Dad: Why dd?" DD: Coach is not nice like he/she was when he was recruiting me, it's harder than I thought, I won't start, it's humid as shit out here and I can't take it anymore." Dad: "But you committed yourself. Remember dd, we honor our commitments. Now you back to practice and work hard, ok?) 18 Year old DD: "BS dad, this was your freaking decision and I saw how much you loved watching me play. In fact, I think all we talked about in those days was soccer and if I'm keeping my grades up. You spent lots of $$$$$$ and time into this deal and ultimately Dear Father, I didn't want to disappoint you."

UCLA will be better for it for sure and so will all the girls looking to make a big decision. I wonder how many dads from SoCal get a call from their dds crying wanting to come back to where it all began. Dad: Why dd?" DD: Coach is not nice like he/she was when he was recruiting me, it's harder than I thought, I won't start, it's humid as shit out here and I can't take it anymore." Dad: "But you committed yourself. Remember dd, we honor our commitments. Now you back to practice and work hard, ok?) 18 Year old DD: "BS dad, this was your freaking decision and I saw how much you loved watching me play. In fact, I think all we talked about in those days was soccer and if I'm keeping my grades up. You spent lots of $$$$$$ and time into this deal and ultimately Dear Father, I didn't want to disappoint you."

I always recommend picking the school not the soccer. I have seen players happy with the school they picked even though they played less than a full game their entire career. She was proud of her role on the team. She was a scout team player that had to pretend that she was someone else each week. She had pride in her role and they even had a name for tge scout team ALCU (UCLA spelled backwards). She was happy to graduate from her dream school and go to the College Cup and proud of how she contributed to it.

I always recommend picking the school not the soccer. I have seen players happy with the school they picked even though they played less than a full game their entire career. She was proud of her role on the team. She was a scout team player that had to pretend that she was someone else each week. She had pride in her role and they even had a name for tge scout team ALCU (UCLA spelled backwards). She was happy to graduate from her dream school and go to the College Cup and proud of how she contributed to it.
I so agree. It's hard asking most, not all, 8th graders to pick the school over soccer. How did this girl get on the team? She didn't commit in 8th or 9th right? That's a super cool Rudy story :)

I so agree. It's hard asking most, not all, 8th graders to pick the school over soccer. How did this girl get on the team? She didn't commit in 8th or 9th right? That's a super cool Rudy story :)

She was a YNT player that committed as a sophomore in high school same as most players on the roster (other than the foreign players who typically commit as juniors). I can only think of one current player on the roster that committed to UCLA prior to the start of their sophomore year and she was an all-American last season.

She was a YNT player that committed as a sophomore in high school same as most players on the roster (other than the foreign players who typically commit as juniors). I can only think of one current player on the roster that committed to UCLA prior to the start of their sophomore year and she was an all-American last season.
What happen? Did she get hurt? How many of the 37 are YNT team players. How do "scout" players get recruited?

Map, thanks for chatting too. I've had the flu and I'm bored and obviously venting on a Saturday. You see, I was asked not to post on here at her other clubs. I'm free now and ready to let some things off my chest. I've respected the Golden Age parents. CSL baby!!!

What happen? Did she get hurt? How many of the 37 are YNT team players. How do "scout" players get recruited?

No she didn’t get hurt. UCLA is the Hunger Games. There are 30 of 36 players on the roster that have UNT of Full WNT experience on the roster. Players become scout players by not being in the first 16-18. Scout players at UCLA are starters elsewhere. Being player #30 on their roster doesn’t mean that you aren’t a good player. There are just a lot of great gladiators in Rome.

Map, thanks for chatting too. I've had the flu and I'm bored and obviously venting on a Saturday. You see, I was asked not to post on here at her other clubs. I'm free now and ready to let some things off my chest. I've respected the Golden Age parents. CSL baby!!!

I’m just sitting around watching soccer.

No she didn’t get hurt. UCLA is the Hunger Games. There are 30 of 36 players on the roster that have UNT of Full WNT experience on the roster. Players become scout players by not being in the first 16-18. Scout players at UCLA are starters elsewhere. Being player #30 on their roster doesn’t mean that you aren’t a good player. There are just a lot of great gladiators in Rome.
Wow!!! Are there any of the 19-30 YNT types from previous Bruin Teams playing pro or making the actual WNT that you know of? So if you want to go to UCLA like my dd coach said at Surf, then you meed to make the first U14 YNT list or the U16 (04' is even) at the very least? So not only do kids that don't play DA in SoCal miss out on YNT opportunity, UCLA probably won't recruit you because they don't know about you? My dd has an old teammate who went to UCLA ID Camp who made YNT and she walked out thinking scout team by the offer. I'm shocked how so many YNT kids ride the pine at UCLA. Just wow!!!!

No she didn’t get hurt. UCLA is the Hunger Games. There are 30 of 36 players on the roster that have UNT of Full WNT experience on the roster. Players become scout players by not being in the first 16-18. Scout players at UCLA are starters elsewhere.

Wow!!! Are there any of the 19-30 YNT types from previous Bruin Teams playing pro or making the actual WNT that you know of? So if you want to go to UCLA like my dd coach said at Surf, then you meed to make the first U14 YNT list or the U16 (04' is even) at the very least? So not only do kids that don't play DA in SoCal miss out on YNT opportunity, UCLA probably won't recruit you because they don't know about you? My dd has an old teammate who went to UCLA ID Camp who made YNT and she walked out thinking scout team by the offer. I'm shocked how so many YNT kids ride the pine at UCLA. Just wow!!!!

It’s the Hunger Games. Stanford has a higher percentage of YNT players than anyone. My daughter made her first YNT after she had committed to UCLA so don’t think that they are just picking resumes. She was the second committed player of her recruiting class and was the lowest rated domestic recruit yet has started the most games and played the most minutes of anyone in her class. It takes a great deal of confidence to go to Pali Alto or Westwood to play soccer.

No worries. The USA vs Ireland game is one sided and the last NWSL game just started. My daughter and her brother are just playing video games so I have time for a chat.

No worries. The USA vs Ireland game is one sided and the last NWSL game just started. My daughter and her brother are just playing video games so I have time for a chat.
Regarding the YNT list, I was referring to the 04s (2022) and the rush to commit before the rule changed. I heard UCLA usually waited but this last year went quicker?

No she didn’t get hurt. UCLA is the Hunger Games. There are 30 of 36 players on the roster that have UNT of Full WNT experience on the roster. Players become scout players by not being in the first 16-18. Scout players at UCLA are starters elsewhere.
In your experience, do you think its odd that US Soccer picked 12- 05s out of 48 spots in the 04's first year of eligibility for u14? Is that normal in past selections for that many "youngers" getting the early call up? Making that list gets you a meeting with the DM at a big time University. Freaking UCLA and Stanford is ROME to many as is some other gr8t schools. This was right when DA was starting and the new rules were coming. Just curious on your thoughts.

Regarding the YNT list, I was referring to the 04s (2022) and the rush to commit before the rule changed. I heard UCLA usually waited but this last year went quicker?

I’m sure that they were reacting to the landscape in which they found themselves.

In your experience, do you think its odd that US Soccer picked 12- 05s out of 48 spots in the 04's first year of eligibility for u14? Is that normal in past selections for that many "youngers" getting the early call up? Making that list gets you a meeting with the DM at a big time University. Freaking UCLA and Stanford is ROME to many as is some other gr8t schools. This was right when DA was starting and the new rules were coming. Just curious on your thoughts.

I’m not sure what US Soccer was thinking but the U14 is usually a mix of different birth years.

"Slated to start play in September 2019,the DPL Schedule will allow players to continue playing high school soccer
while developing their technical and tactical skills through club soccer."

Wow, wow, wow and wow!!!!! let me seriously talk to my dd to see if she would like to reconsider her decision to play ECNL this upcoming season. This could be a game changer. Let me see, have dd play DPL first half and then join the DA Team (if she can make it since she's been playing that horrible brand of soccer in HS) after HS Soccer. At DPL she can practice juggling and dribbling while all the other players play in the big leagues. Listen all you fools at DA, yes you. Allow HS Soccer!!!!!!! End of story. This is so stupid. I think I might make this my mission in life. #letthemplayHS.......#letthemplayboth.......I have some advice for everyone: DA can be DA, ECNL can be DPL. DPL can be a local league, CRL and that's that. No need for this BS anymore.

Back