Surf Cup - Best of the Best ECNL vs DA

They weren't looking at sophomores. The 2022 class is built out.
At SurfCup I didn't see coaches watching 2023 games (birthyear 2005), but I did see a lot of coaches watching 2022 games (birthyear 2004). Are you sure AC has her stock already set for 2022 MAP? If so, then she got all her work done before the new recruiting rules kicked into play. Offers to 2023 cannot be made now until two more years (June 2021). That would make sense why 2023 not getting looks now--2 years a long time to watch and decide. And, a lot can happen in two years on both sides (player/coach).

I saw one pac12 school watching 05s game at surf cup mostly class of 2023 and a couple watching 04's which some 04s are 2023. At DA showcase there were a lot college coaches watching 04s

At SurfCup I didn't see coaches watching 2023 games (birthyear 2005), but I did see a lot of coaches watching 2022 games (birthyear 2004). Are you sure AC has her stock already set for 2022 MAP? If so, then she got all her work done before the new recruiting rules kicked into play. Offers to 2023 cannot be made now until two more years (June 2021). That would make sense why 2023 not getting looks now--2 years a long time to watch and decide. And, a lot can happen in two years on both sides (player/coach).
Just a point of order.....my DD is an ‘04 and 2023.

They are all set for 2022 at least all set giving out money. If a player doesn't care about money (or playing for that matter) then maybe. They have one 2023 commit that I know of. Also, they used to watch almost every one of my players games at a showcase (at least for a half) even after she had committed early her sophomore year. They have 35 players on the roster currently with 8 graduating and 12 coming in. That means they are going to have a roster of 39 players next year. I know personally that several players were cut (non-scholarship) and some transferred due to being made aware that they weren't going to be seeing the field. It's the Hunger Games there.

They were likely watching committed players.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...-details/women/ucla/clgid-266/tab-commitments

Good luck to you and your player and keep sending UCLA more Canadians. They are awesome.

I saw one pac12 school watching 05s game at surf cup mostly class of 2023 and a couple watching 04's which some 04s are 2023. At DA showcase there were a lot college coaches watching 04s

Trust me the top teams are looking at freshmen. If they were watching 2022/21/20 players then they were already committed.

They weren't looking at sophomores. The 2022 class is built out.
I'm sad now MAP. I hope you mean UCLA? The only problem I see with UCLA is you don't want to pick too fast. Just saying, but UCLA will always be ROME to me and I'm sad my kid was not on their radar. Coach came to practice, looked and like a fart in the wind she was gone and picked her top players according to the rules.

I'm sad now MAP. I hope you mean UCLA? The only problem I see with UCLA is you don't want to pick too fast. Just saying, but UCLA will always be ROME to me and I'm sad my kid was not on their radar. Coach came to practice, looked and like a fart in the wind she was gone and picked her top players according to the rules.

I wish that all roads led to that particular version of Rome but the truth is that there are many great schools out there and sometimes there are forks in the road that lead to cities greater than Rome.

Alexandria was a city in the Nile delta that was the seat of Cleopatra’s power when she ruled Egypt. Now as you know she was the last Pharoah of Egypt (although she was a Ptolemy and thus mostly genetically Greek) and Alexandria was her capital. When Caesar and later Marc Anthony came to the city it was larger and more incredible than the city that they had left. My point is that if UCLA is your kid’s Rome and it didn’t work out for your player then maybe where she landed can be her Alexandria.

Good luck to you and your player.

I wish that all roads led to that particular version of Rome but the truth is that there are many great schools out there and sometimes there are forks in the road that lead to cities greater than Rome.

Alexandria was a city in the Nile delta that was the seat of Cleopatra’s power when she ruled Egypt. Now as you know she was the last Pharoah of Egypt (although she was a Ptolemy and thus mostly genetically Greek) and Alexandria was her capital. When Caesar and later Marc Anthony came to the city it was larger and more incredible than the city that they had left. My point is that if UCLA is your kid’s Rome and it didn’t work out for your player then maybe where she landed can be her Alexandria.

Every player needs to cast a wide net and be open to opportunities that come their way. Find as strong an academic university as they can get into where she can be at the top of their recruiting list (to maximize playing time and athletic money) and their experience (and your bank account) will be great. Taking the ‘last recruit’ spot at a dream school likely results in little to no money and little to no playing time and potentially a transfer...

Every player needs to cast a wide net and be open to opportunities that come their way. Find as strong an academic university as they can get into where she can be at the top of their recruiting list (to maximize playing time and athletic money) and their experience (and your bank account) will be great. Taking the ‘last recruit’ spot at a dream school likely results in little to no money and little to no playing time and potentially a transfer...
Funny...you sound like my DD.

I hear you but they are not recruiting any more sophomores they already have spent their money for that year. They are working on replacing the class that will be freshman this year so 2023 graduation year. Obviously with overlapping high school graduation years they could be different birth years.

They only player that they lost to Stanford was a keeper and she most likely looked at the roster and realized that she was going to ride the pine for 3 years. The other player went to Colorado and was a very low ranked recruit who likely was getting little to no money. I don't think that anyone cares about the allegations. If they do they aren't very smart because they are BS and have already blown over. The team is going to be fine for many years to come....

Question is...given the new recruiting rules and the fact that they can’t talk to 2023’s for almost 2 more years...how long will she be looking at this grad year?

Question is...given the new recruiting rules and the fact that they can’t talk to 2023’s for almost 2 more years...how long will she be looking at this grad year?

Hopefully a really long time. That will lead to a better fit on both sides of the equation. My daughter was very fortunate. I want everyone’s daughter to be just as happy with her decision as mine is with hers and it took a lengthy process to get there.

I like the new rules. Nobody likes to say goodbye to a friend after a year or two because of unhappiness. Also it sucks for a player when one of her roommates for the upcoming season is getting cut and doesn’t know it. It puts unnecessary pressure on young women who already have a lot of pressure.

Just a point of order.....my DD is an ‘04 and 2023.
Very nice :) Mind is 04' 2022. UCLA picked already as did all the other top schools. Many kids also decided to wait and not feel the freaking pressure to live in the snow for free and try and earn a degree. My dd has never emailed a coach, talked to a coach on the phone, paid a freaking service so my kid can be ranked or never took the advice from coaches who said the following, "Rules are challenging, you better get your deal now." This is the biggest part of the toxic shit were all going through." Pressure Pressure Pressure on young little girls of which 80% of the already 2022 commits will NOT play for the school that they Instagram all over the place before the rule change. That's why the rule change folks. These "Super Clubs" market three big things. Most signed college scholarships for the year, Most National Championships and if they can, National Team Players. Coaches do the same. I believe patience will pay off for those who waited. Maybe, just maybe one of the top schools on my dd soon to be list will have a 2022 commit change their mind, coach is fired and new coach wants his players or God forbid they get hurt.

Very nice :) Mind is 04' 2022. UCLA picked already as did all the other top schools. Many kids also decided to wait and not feel the freaking pressure to live in the snow for free and try and earn a degree. My dd has never emailed a coach, talked to a coach on the phone, paid a freaking service so my kid can be ranked or never took the advice from coaches who said the following, "Rules are challenging, you better get your deal now." This is the biggest part of the toxic shit were all going through." Pressure Pressure Pressure on young little girls of which 80% of the already 2022 commits will NOT play for the school that they Instagram all over the place before the rule change. That's why the rule change folks. These "Super Clubs" market three big things. Most signed college scholarships for the year, Most National Championships and if they can, National Team Players. Coaches do the same. I believe patience will pay off for those who waited. Maybe, just maybe one of the top schools on my dd soon to be list will have a 2022 commit change their mind, coach is fired and new coach wants his players or God forbid they get hurt.

The PAC 12 and BIG TEN guarantee 4 year scholarship offers and a coach that reneged on offers might as well stick a fork in their career because bad news travels faster than good news.

Also only one player in my daughter’s recruiting class never played in an actual game other than a scrimmage and the reason was that she got a WNT contract and a Nike deal. Her name was Mallory Pugh.

The PAC 12 and BIG TEN guarantee 4 year scholarship offers and a coach that reneged on offers might as well stick a fork in their career because bad news travels faster than good news.

Also only one player in my daughter’s recruiting class never played in an actual game other than a scrimmage and the reason was that she got a WNT contract and a Nike deal. Her name was Mallory Pugh.

UCLA is ROME bro!!! They kinda get the first pic of the 8th graders and soon to be 9th graders around the world. But it got a little out of hand, right? AC even says its wrong. It's embarrassing what I have witnessed and its stupid. It's like the movie "Click." Everyone is clicking FF instead of slowing down a little. I understand UCLA and others have to go after what they perceive to be future studs and it seems AC has picked well every year :) I know in the top male sports those signing 8th or soon to be 9th graders get mocked hard for it. I was tempted to get my dd in the game early by emailing coaches but we decided to wait. Only one school would have made her decide early at that is our beloved UCLA. However, she would need a full ride for financial reasons and that's not going to be happening :( or maybe be a practice player and get her books paid for. If I had the cash, She would walk on and get on that way :). Always the smallest, but just grew to 5'5 with more to come :)

So let's say my little one decided to commit early because dad is poor and a free ride to ASU is too good to pass up and her coach is "Amazing." She gets to her SR year and her coach bails for a new club deal. The new coach is an asshole and she finally confesses that she hates the dessert and really wanted to play by the beach. She is 18 now too. Now what??????????? This is happening all over the country except at UCLA and few others.

So let's say my little one decided to commit early because dad is poor and a free ride to ASU is too good to pass up and her coach is "Amazing." She gets to her SR year and her coach bails for a new club deal. The new coach is an asshole and she finally confesses that she hates the dessert and really wanted to play by the beach. She is 18 now too. Now what??????????? This is happening all over the country except at UCLA and few others.

UCLA just got a transfer because a coach left for a better job and I have seen another local kid that was a two year starter at North Carolina and bailed for the SoCal lifestyle, so I know that it happens.

I am not a fan of early commitments. The more info for both parties the better the fit.

Back