Surf Cup – 05s (8/6 – 8/8) – Tech Specs

They play the prettiest soccer and they are the best team in the age group on the big field. On the small field you have girls that can score once they cross half field so it can be a game changer.

LAGSB team was great to watch! They are well coached and move the ball. Their first touch is on point. Well deserved win against Strikers OC. Strikers coaches didn't adjust well to the quick ball movement of Galaxy and had no answer. They were toying with them after the first 7 min of the game. Good luck in the finals Galaxy.

The 3-1 Blues win was more lopsided than the score. LAGSB looked great against the rest of the competition, but there style didn't play well against a bigger, faster, and equally skilled Blues team. LAGSB struggled to keep possession and their only score came off of a two hand shove that created the space necessary to get a shot off. The Blues dominated possession at least 2 to 1 (that's tough to do considering they just play kickball). The Blues out shot LAGSB at least 5 to 1.

I don't understand some of you posters that harp on style of play so much. I don't care what sport you are watching, the more athletic and physically imposing teams win in every sport as long as the skill levels are in the same playing field. Just like old school baseball and basketball fans that refute "Moneyball" and "3pt Shooting" you don't get it. And before you start to try to tell me about how it is this type of philosophy doesn't work in soccer and the US is proof of that... check yourself and realize that US (mens soccer) gets the left over athletes from basketball, football, baseball, etc. Other countries' best athletes play soccer.

Possession soccer is like possession football (American). Connecting a ton of passes to get a good shot is nice, but what if you don't need to change sides of the field 2 or 3 times to get a good opportunity? Passing for the sake of passing is idiotic. That would be like saying we need to run the football because that is the right way to play. Why have a 10 play dive if you can score a touchdown in 2-3 plays?

As for the field being smaller... that should favor the team that has "more skill" and can connect passes. Being able to shoot from outside the 18 plays on any field size. The smaller field allows less space for players to get shots off. But it is obvious this board is built on parents on teams that don't have size or athletes. Soccer is the only sport you can get away with saying, "we were the better team... they were just bigger, faster, stronger, more physical and have girls that can score".

Always nice to get unbiased analysis from a Blues parent. Thanks RealityChex for that heaping dose of soccer knowledge!

Congratulations Blues! We will be lucky enough to play them our second game this upcoming weekend.

We had a wonderful time at Surf Cup (and spent a ton of $$) Even made it to the quarter finals in the black tier.

Watched the PKs with surf 2 and ie...what a heartbreaker!

We had a wonderful time at Surf Cup (and spent a ton of $$) Even made it to the quarter finals in the black tier.

Watched the PKs with surf 2 and ie...what a heartbreaker!
It was a fun game against your girls at Surf Cup, looking forward to the CRL match-up on the big field.

In regards to the game against Surf II, PKs are always tough and as much as they tend to be a coin flip, both set of girls did an excellent job of trying to slot their PKs in the toughest spot for the GKs to reach. My DD stopped the 3rd PK in the what ended up being 8 rounds of PKs, and almost had the 7th one. She dove the right direction every PK but the shots were always placed just outside of reach. I was extremely proud of her and her teammates.

I'd like to thank the Surf parents for being very gracious after the game. As intense as the game was, afterwards there was a mutual respect and acknowledgement of the efforts by both sides. Surf keeper hugged my DD and the Goal Keeper sisterhood remains as strong as ever!

Last edited:
How was the 9v9 format?
Except for just a couple teams, most that I saw were just playing kickball. Bang the ball forward and try to shoot whenever and wherever possible. In general the teams with the most success were the ones that used size and speed to their advantage to press aggressively, clog passing lanes, muscle players off the ball, and shoot from distance, including kickoffs. In other words, same old sh*t on the small field.

In my opinion US Soccer has made a big mistake if they think the small field mandate at older ages is going to develop more technical, intelligent soccer players. It might work in Belgium and Germany, but in order to make it work you need a soccer culture committed to playing good technical soccer, building out of the back, keeping the ball on the ground, etc. etc. And to do this successfully you need a critical mass of well coached young players with the minimum required skills and soccer IQ to execute this type of play. And excellent playing surfaces that make all of that possible. For the most part we have none of that here in the U.S.

No reality check here and I am not a Blues parent. I just forgot that I am mainly dealing with a small percentage of emotionally charged and biased parents. Nor am I here to say one way of playing is better than the other. Just a soccer and sport enthusiast who is tired of seeing over controlling coaches who try to restrict kids play so early in life. All of the countries these coaches try to emulate do not restrict their players at an early age. Also tired of seeing the same posters on this board who drink the same kool-aid only give credit to the teams that play their style of play. If LAGSB would have won yesterday their would have been multiple post about how amazing they are and they play so beautiful. The post were already piling up. Once they got beat soundly (Lastman14 and ajaxahi you are lying to yourself if you thought yesterdays game was competitive) this board was silent. All the normal posters had nothing to say anymore.

Here ajaxahi... I am not qualified to drop soccer knowledge on you. But here is some food for thought for you...

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/50554/the-secret-behind-the-mystique-of-beautiful-brazil.html

How was the 9v9 format?

I refereed on a U12 field on Saturday. My take away from the games. The small field is unforgiving. A poor first touch, trap that does not stay close, or the ball too far ahead on a dribble normally ended up with the ball getting turned over. On the big field the players are usually a little further apart and there is enough space to recover from a mistake, but the players are usually so close together on the small field there is no room for mistakes. The other thing I noticed was the ability of the players to shoot and score from midfield or beyond. I also had a keeper score on a punt. IMHO, I get what USSF is trying to accomplish, but the fields need to be just a little bigger for the U12's.

I do not referee this age very often and forgot how crazy the parents are at the younger ages. On a big field I usually cannot understand or hear most of what is said on the sidelines. On the small fields I could hear everything. Someone needs to set up a video camera at these games and just record the parents. That would be a hilarious video.

No reality check here and I am not a Blues parent. I just forgot that I am mainly dealing with a small percentage of emotionally charged and biased parents. Nor am I here to say one way of playing is better than the other. Just a soccer and sport enthusiast who is tired of seeing over controlling coaches who try to restrict kids play so early in life. All of the countries these coaches try to emulate do not restrict their players at an early age. Also tired of seeing the same posters on this board who drink the same kool-aid only give credit to the teams that play their style of play. If LAGSB would have won yesterday their would have been multiple post about how amazing they are and they play so beautiful. The post were already piling up. Once they got beat soundly (Lastman14 and ajaxahi you are lying to yourself if you thought yesterdays game was competitive) this board was silent. All the normal posters had nothing to say anymore.

Here ajaxahi... I am not qualified to drop soccer knowledge on you. But here is some food for thought for you...

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/50554/the-secret-behind-the-mystique-of-beautiful-brazil.html
Emotinally charged and kool-aid drinking? Your upset someone questioned your analysis of the game. Your comments were definitely biased and your football analogies were as well. West Coast offense is position/controlled/modified football. Since its inception more teams have had great success using a form of it. I will agree that coaches restrict play preferring to play long or just physical. I have no issue with 1-2 touch soccer, play out the back to keep teams off balance, or mix it up with controlled soccer and occasionally drop the ball over top or switch the ball. But that does not happen often either. In fact at the 04 age group I witnessed DeAnza and MVLA do that in the semi's. But most of it was controlled to keep their opponents chasing and spread out. Brazilian soccer was a form in its own and I am not referring to it at all.

Back