Surf Cup – 05s (8/6 – 8/8) – Tech Specs

LAGSB 2-0 Legends FC.
Our girls battled from the beginning, galaxy got an early goal and controlled a lot of the tempo. We knew this was a tough matchup. Galaxy is going to be tough to beat. Congrats to Galaxy for moving on and congrats to our girls as they left it out on the field.

Verdict so far.....formation, formation, formation. Not a lot of room so better find a good formation to give the girls the best chance to find space.
Curious to hear more about the formations that were used to be successful.
Were teams moving the ball well or camping a big player in the back to boot it up? Were many goals scored from long range bombs?

Curious to hear more about the formations that were used to be successful.
Were teams moving the ball well or camping a big player in the back to boot it up? Were many goals scored from long range bombs?
Few teams chose to adapt to try and play possession from what I saw. Galaxy was one of the few who had it down.

Saw a lot of 3-4-1 being played, with the most athletic player playing target and defenses getting it over the top to that player.

Crossing midfield essentially meant having the liberty to shoot. Saw a lot of goals from distance.

Disappointed to see so many So Cal teams play this style just to win, but with Surf Cup being a 1 time trip back to the small field I understand the reason why they did it.

Impressed with the out of area teams who were familiar to the small field, a lot of control and composure. Saw San Juan, Rush, MVLA, De Anza in several age groups and they played beautiful.

Loads of talent and good soccer if coaches give it time.

Few teams chose to adapt to try and play possession from what I saw. Galaxy was one of the few who had it down.

Saw a lot of 3-4-1 being played, with the most athletic player playing target and defenses getting it over the top to that player.

Crossing midfield essentially meant having the liberty to shoot. Saw a lot of goals from distance.

Disappointed to see so many So Cal teams play this style just to win, but with Surf Cup being a 1 time trip back to the small field I understand the reason why they did it.

Impressed with the out of area teams who were familiar to the small field, a lot of control and composure. Saw San Juan, Rush, MVLA, De Anza in several age groups and they played beautiful.

Loads of talent and good soccer if coaches give it time.

Let me get this straight - you were disappointed to see teams trying to win because they didn't play "correctly"?

This is soccer, not ballet.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight - you were disappointed to see teams trying to win because they didn't play "correctly"?

This soccer, not ballet.
Have seen plenty of these teams play skilled soccer, either via a "direct" or "possession" style and win a lot. Some games were downright kickball, so yes it was disappointing.

To each their own, I must have missed the presentation of college scholarships being handed out to 10-11 year olds this weekend.

Have seen plenty of these teams play skilled soccer, either via a "direct" or "possession" style and win a lot. Some games were downright kickball, so yes it was disappointing.

To each their own, I must have missed the presentation of college scholarships being handed out to 10-11 year olds this weekend.

Some interesting stats --

75% of the people who complain about "kickball" on this forum don't know what they are talking about.

90% of all statistics presented on the internet are just made up on the spot.

I think that is part of it. I think the other part is: the LAGSD v. Surf game was Surf's C team. As for the Blues Draluck v. Irvine Slammers game...no doubt Blues Draluck is one of the best CalSouth teams. Irvine Slammers are good but not in the same category as Blues Draluck. But still, 9-3 is loco.
So, 12 goals in 1 game in the top '05 bracket. Enjoy those goals while you can. That's the average number of goals for the five top '04 brackets in all their group games combined (15, 14, 13, 10 and 8).

This is soccer, not ballet.
But, it's also soccer at the very highest level for this age group. I don't want to speak for Tech. But I believe he is addressing the question, "How do we want our top players trained?" That training includes how the coach expects them to play in games. If a coach defers the expectation of players being able to make passes on the ground to teammates and control the ball under pressure instead of booting it away, it stunts the players' skill development. At 10 and 11, I'd also prefer to see a much stronger commitment to development than winning games.

But, it's also soccer at the very highest level for this age group. I don't want to speak for Tech. But I believe he is addressing the question, "How do we want our top players trained?" That training includes how the coach expects them to play in games. If a coach defers the expectation of players being able to make passes on the ground to teammates and control the ball under pressure instead of booting it away, it stunts the players' skill development. At 10 and 11, I'd also prefer to see a much stronger commitment to development than winning games.

Nonsense.

Agree, my DD team played a very direct game. It worked for the most part but it will probably set them back a bit in the long run. Appeared to be the opposite of what the coach is trying to do on the big field.

The biggest difference was on goal kicks or punts by the keeper, they would send him down so far take one bounce and be right in front of the opposing keeper. The big strong athletic strikers would just run down the field and look for that bounce or bump in to someone trying to cause chaos to free up the ball. Only so two or three teams where the keeper would roll the ball out and play out of the back. Bottom line it was a fun weekend of soccer, my family had a blast. Good luck today to all the teams that are still standing.

It's kinda hard to believe U12 will be 9v9 for everyone next year. I personally don't think there was enough thought put into this decision. I see the way the current U12 teams play on the big field and they are already doing a lot of things right. (Possession, passing, teamwork, decision making etc.) The small field in my opinion takes a lot of that away. Obviously the intention is more touches on the ball if there are less on the field, but who needs more touches if they are not quality touches. Just my two cents!!;)

It's kinda hard to believe U12 will be 9v9 for everyone next year. I personally don't think there was enough thought put into this decision. I see the way the current U12 teams play on the big field and they are already doing a lot of things right. (Possession, passing, teamwork, decision making etc.) The small field in my opinion takes a lot of that away. Obviously the intention is more touches on the ball if there are less on the field, but who needs more touches if they are not quality touches. Just my two cents!!;)

It "should" come down to coaching. But if you are putting the same coaches on smaller fields, then they'll continue to do whatever it takes to win.
US Soccer should have kept this age group at 11v11, but mandated that all clubs play futsal during winter and summer if they want players to get more quality touches and make fast decisions.

LAGSB 4-0 strikers OC. Like I said earlier LAGSB will be tough to beat. I think it will be a LAGSB / blues final. What do you guys think?

They play the prettiest soccer and they are the best team in the age group on the big field. On the small field you have girls that can score once they cross half field so it can be a game changer.

Back