Summary of Tryouts

Anytime we say the curriculum doesn't matter on if the player is going to do well, we are lying to ourselves. Watch the NBA Finals and it is apparent what it takes to be an NBA star now compared to 5-6 years ago has changed dramatically. What once was valued to be successful in the game has changed. This isn't just the usual, high school is coming, boys are coming, burnout is coming change because they are trying to change the fundamental way our kids are playing and thinking the game.

Basically a change in the culture. That what the person who is well known in this scene and I were speaking about. Like many people here, this person expressed doubts, but for different reasons. The discussion was based around the cultural change that comes with the DA rules and how the parents and girls will accept/adjust to these changes. It was really profound and interesting to get the perspective of someone so deep into it on the club level.

We agreed that that it will not be for everyone, no matter how good they are. The other factors besides ability (mentally/physically) will be a deterrent for many girls. The perspective this person hadn't been privy too much was my the one expressed by my family and the other families at our DA. Our kids love the structure, coaching approach, separation of parental influence and no high school. At the end I think while US Soccer wants to get rid of ECNL, there will always be a home for it.

We had some really big team, big baller guest players this weekend and their parents were really impressed by how our team operates on the field. Basically a different mind state and culture. These girls adjusted wonderfully and performed wonderfully. It was impressive.

I don't see what the US 20 men did at this World Cup as a failure. Went out the same level as Germany did and actually gave a better overall performance. We aren't top dogs on that side, the game is ultra competitive world wide and we are a team that every opponent has to grind deep to beat. Would I have liked that Semi-Final berth, of course. This is our 4th or 5th most popular sport (soccer/hockey toss up) and we are gaining ground. This is the 1st or 2nd most popular sport for our competition and they have 60-100 years on us to work out the kinks.

Our mens DA is 10 years old. Lionel Messi is going on 30 and has been at Barcelona since he was at 12. Yeah we are babies learning.
Babies learning? What....US has been playing soccer for decades!

Why would an amazing Da team that plays as well as the uswnt in your estimation need "big baller" guests? So many fishy posts on the forum lately.
And CAM was impressed by the big ballers adjusting to his DDs teams style of play. I thought some of the elite players would struggle in this so called, new DA style of philosophy and style of play.

Doesn't matter, because this 2003 age group are rising HS freshmens. The girls alreay know which girls among their peers are blue chippers.

I lived for many years in a country that lives and breathes soccer. We in America have made it about tournament trophies, acronyms and parent and coach egos. Obviously we all play into it because we have to if our kids have outgrown Rec, but it's a shame.

And CAM was impressed by the big ballers adjusting to his DDs teams style of play. I thought some of the elite players would struggle in this so called, new DA style of philosophy and style of play.

Doesn't matter, because this 2003 age group are rising HS freshmens. The girls alreay know which girls among their peers are blue chippers.

I thought DA was 100% about development? Why bring in "big ballers" unless it was to win games? First games with your DA team and some of your own players sitting the bench to let the non-DA guests play.

In comparison to our top competition. Especially when it comes to building Academy systems. I know we been playing for decades, but at which point have we ever been as organized or even half as interested in building champions in Futbol as the Europeans or South Americans?

It's why IMO Uolders is the BEST. The college coaches recruiting and making offers are the individuals who will sort out who are the best players.

In comparison to our top competition. Especially when it comes to building Academy systems. I know we been playing for decades, but at which point have we ever been as organized or even half as interested in building champions in Futbol as the Europeans or South Americans?
Seriously? Germany revamped their youth development philosophy in the early 2000s and in a decade won a World Cup.

IMO, you are in denial....US Soccer will NOT change unless they overhaul and replace their coaches with international coaches from Spain, Japan, and or the Dutch. If not, business as usual.

I thought DA was 100% about development? Why bring in "big ballers" unless it was to win games? First games with your DA team and some of your own players sitting the bench to let the non-DA guests play.
Or hoping those big baller guest players will switch clubs. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

I won't disagree. My question to you is do you feel that if we changed the coaches but kept the same style of play we will be successful where we haven't in the most recent Youth World Cups?

We have won the U20 WWC in the past so I'm pretty confident that we have sufficient talent to do it again. We have the largest player pool so it would not be outrageous for a coach to pick a pool of 36 players and spend 2 years working on a "style" instead of spending 2 years picking a team. That is just an idea and I am pretty sure there are plenty of other ideas out there that would work better than our current system.

I can see a lot of girls that will fall off the DA 1 teams if they plan on teaching connection and team work as the primary goal from the 03 and up. The club game in 99% of all teams we have seen in SD has been play the girls that run wild and score with or without the team input because in the club world in the USA wins= next yer team and club growth. Most coaches don't have the skill set or want anything to do with building girls based on a solid foundation of actual technical ability or a true understanding of the game or real team work. It is win at all cost so they parents chase the wins over the actual quality of training offered to these kids.

Ya that Kooi guy has been striped of all top teams and is now a B team coach. Albion wont give that guy even back up assistant water boy spot on one of the "USDA" teams.

What happened? Noah Kooiman was always one of the better coaches in my player's age group.

I can see a lot of girls that will fall off the DA 1 teams if they plan on teaching connection and team work as the primary goal from the 03 and up. The club game in 99% of all teams we have seen in SD has been play the girls that run wild and score with or without the team input because in the club world in the USA wins= next yer team and club growth. Most coaches don't have the skill set or want anything to do with building girls based on a solid foundation of actual technical ability or a true understanding of the game or real team work. It is win at all cost so they parents chase the wins over the actual quality of training offered to these kids.
The 03's will be evaluated by college coaches starting at Surf Cup. IMO, it's to late for the 03's. The 04 are a year from being recuited, so I'm going to say not much will change going a year younger either.

If there is this so "called" change of style of play and player preferences by Girls DA and US Soccer (which I don't personally). It won't matter for this age group, because vast majority of the posters in this age group will slow their postings down to a halt. No different than any other older age groups.

As I posted earlier, the college coaches will sort this all of you.

You are living in a fantasy land if you think the DA is going to radically change things.

Around 2-3% of the girls in the DA will ever get called into an actual USYNT camp. So the rest of the girls (and their parents) are going to measure the success of their development on what? Pass connection percentage? Strings of passes? Possession %? Juggling achievements? It will not be how they play against outside competition, since they are prohibited from doing so. They will measure it based on performance in the DA, the only measure they have. A losing DA team that is sending 1 girl to regional camp every year, and is maybe getting one (1) girl on the actual YNT every few years, is going to be viewed as a success and be a huge draw? Not likely, since US Soccer is awarding DA status to so many clubs. Winning will be important (they keep standings and hold championships at the end of the season), and coaches will do what it takes to win, even in the DA.

I agree, US Soccer should focus on coach education and improvement, a path they started down with Claudio Reyna's curriculum and standards, which unfortunately where put on the shelf in 2011 only weeks after they were released, as Klinsmann was hired and assumed the technical director role as well. I still think that was a better path and strategy to start with than DA. It needs to come first in order to make the DA actually have the impact everyone wants.

What happened? Noah Kooiman was always one of the better coaches in my player's age group.
I understand your point of view from the outside looking in. He is a Circus clown and a big time Cheer leader of himself. The guy has an excuse and story for everything, he builds himself up to the point that he honestly buys into and believes his own BS story. But as you can see from where he started with Albion 4 years ago to where he is today even the Big Blue machine had enough of his crap and demoted him to (4) B teams! Go look @ Albions girls record of actual wins and loses over the past 3-4 years it is an average SDDA flight 1 club that forces their players and teams into flight 1 level tournaments and leagues on the girls side anyway. They figure its best to finish mid pack in Coast flight 1 then 2nd or 3rd in SDDA flight 1 and honestly they are correct in the marketing side of things because that is what makes the coaches and club the most amount of money. And yes they might have one or two semi solid teams on the girls side out of the 25-28 girls teams but Kooi and Ernie Romero are the leading force behind the past 3-4 years of average and below! The same coaches will create the same results no matter how many fancy names you give the teams, no matter how you shuffle the SAME coaches with new titles its all the same year in and year out. But Kooi has been pushed to the bottom of the Albion pecking order, he has been stripped of all fancy titles and coaching jobs. His bigger than life ego got deflated and now he is a mid level coach at a mid level club. But HEY>>>he still looks really good in his color matching long sleeve jackets with the collar flipped up with color matching shoes and a gallon of cheap 1980's cologne! Oh don't forget his cute little back pack and his cool guy tooth pick hanging out of his blow hole along with his "Brother this and "Brother" that ALL topped off with a macho 1/2 manly hug and a fist bump hahaha this guy is classic DB.

Back