Summary of Tryouts

I don't think living life as a minority is in any way the answer to learning to appreciate and not judge others by the color of their skin. It all starts at home behind closed doors.

And I 100% agree on the rest of your response. Success comes from within and is not determined by a certificate hanging on the wall.

Living life as a minority provides perspective that even very cerebral and forward thinking people from a majority ("in power") group don't have. My best friend is white but grew up in Hawaii and was a minority there. Trust me when I say my friend is not your average bear and my friend attributes it to growing up as a "minority." I always laugh when I hear it said but it is very true. And this friend grew up extremely affluent as my friend's father was CEO of Matson shipping before he retired a few years ago.

Life is about experiences and those experiences shape a person. Good luck to you and your player.

But..we all want to provide our children with the best choices and best paths for success in their lives.

Well again I don't disagree but I know for a fact having several children that each one of my children are different and yet all have grown up in the same home. Everyone sees and processes life experiences differently.

It's tough expressing everything in 2-dimensional writing. Didn't even cross my mind that you were judging any player. I agree with the value.of one school being greater than another. Not all players are cut out for the academic rigors of a Harvard so they choose to go to Michigan State or the University of Missouri. Just supporting that each players soccer / academic journey is the own and parents of those players should support them.

One things I find hilarious is how whenever Legends gets new commits added to their site, after a couple weeks, SK still ends up at the very top of the list....

I think the actual % of soccer scholarships money given to these players should be also posted! I love these clubs that post outlandish statements like "Over 2-million in scholarship granted" on their advertising. Disclaimer Mommy & Daddy: read the fine print ask questions and see what the % of actual soccer money that number truly is? Also what colleges are these offered for?
I know for a fact Albion SC was soliciting several girls to take a hard look at
Prairie View A&M University, is a historically black university located in Prairie View, Texas, United States.
Acceptance rate: 85.9% (2014)
Graduation rate: 37.2% (2014)
Prairie View A & M University's educational quality places it below average on our nationwide Best Colleges ranking. The school's net price reflects the overall quality.

Last year this coach was walking around boasting about how bitchen he was landing some of these players a full ride at this school! And if you were being solicited by him he would throw this accomplishment out 3-4 times in your conversation. If you did not know any better you would walk away thinking what a great club, coach and opportunity it would be to play on his team! It all looks and sounds good until you see the details.

Wow Sandshark, we get it. You really hate not just NK as a coach, but Albion as a club, and Prairie View A&M as a college.

Albion also claims they have the largest number of players in the Ivy League (they claim it is a "fact"). Could that imply a balanced approach (some people need options that provide the most $, some want the highest ranked college), or is their something disingenuous there as well? It seems you are the one to ask.

Wow Sandshark, we get it. You really hate not just NK as a coach, but Albion as a club, and Prairie View A&M as a college.

Albion also claims they have the largest number of players in the Ivy League (they claim it is a "fact"). Could that imply a balanced approach (some people need options that provide the most $, some want the highest ranked college), or is their something disingenuous there as well? It seems you are the one to ask.

Ha ha let's get something clear, I do not "hate" Albion SC I think they employee a small group of scammers with almost zero consideration for the consequences to the children, but do I hate Albion.. NO.

NK AGAIN I don't hate that Snake Oil Salesman, Im just pointing out what has been proven by Albion's actions of stripping him of all his super cute titles and demoting him down to a low lever B / C team coach. Honestly as I see it Karmas a bitch and NK has received huge cup of what he deserves. But don't get me wrong he and his side kick have earned more and I'm sure Karma still has some surprises saved up for them And FYI I actually dislike more about the person NK is then I do about his 2 bit coaching.

Albion SC does have a couple good people in the company and those people have always proven to be a step above the rest.

Prairie A&M I have zero issues with, my point was I find it funny listening to coaches boast about getting players into that college as if it was UCLA haha It is great for many people, but to listen to the coach boast about it you would think he landed them in a real powerhouse program! Just another example of "the sham"

Oh please. I wasn't judging them. I was just saying you all spend a lot of time talking about commits at big clubs but some of us aren't impressed with the quality of college. No one was judging the kid but if you want to spend some time this morning attempting to convince me that a degree from Kansas State or University of Missouri for soccer is more valuable then let's say gosh I don't even know then save your breath because it won't happen.
It's called a different point of view.
D1 isn't everything.
Some of these commits are getting a chance that very few wil ever have so GOOD ON THEM!
However to be clear some of us aren't in this for the money we are in it to get them a leg up in a difficult process for a top tier school. A scholarship is the least of my concerns when discussing her college choice.
I would rather her gain entry to a school than take a full ride at a lower tier one.

I agree, and disagree. With college tuition at 120k+ for 4 years, it makes sense for most to accept that scholarship to University of Missouri or whatever. Certainly there is no replacement for a top 25 university, and it would be hard to turn one down if accepted, but some of the most accomplished (and well-paid) of my colleagues graduated from random, no-name schools.

I agree, and disagree. With college tuition at 120k+ for 4 years, it makes sense for most to accept that scholarship to University of Missouri or whatever. Certainly there is no replacement for a top 25 university, and it would be hard to turn one down if accepted, but some of the most accomplished (and well-paid) of my colleagues graduated from random, no-name schools.
I'm I missing something. What is wrong with Missouri? They are Big12 school and ranked academically for large universities at #111. It's not like it's the University of Central Arkansas or is it? hahaha!

Not to mention that top 25 schools are extremely hard to get into. If your DD has the credentials to get acceptance, great. Sometimes, even the credentials aren't enough. A lot of folks, particularly with more than one kiddo, simply can't afford college tuition for one, let alone multiple. So, to those that earn an offer from whatever college, I say "go on with your bad self, kid!" "You are 1 of thousands of hopefuls"

@sandshark I am glad this question was asked would love to know as well!

I'm I missing something. What is wrong with Missouri? They are Big12 school and ranked academically for large universities at #111. It's not like it's the University of Central Arkansas or is it? hahaha!

Ok, bad example! I just meant a non-top 50 school. How about university of southern Idaho?

Not to mention that top 25 schools are extremely hard to get into. If your DD has the credentials to get acceptance, great. Sometimes, even the credentials aren't enough. A lot of folks, particularly with more than one kiddo, simply can't afford college tuition for one, let alone multiple. So, to those that earn an offer from whatever college, I say "go on with your bad self, kid!" "You are 1 of thousands of hopefuls"

Less kids are going to college in general due to the cost. We are lucky to even be talking about our kids going to good schools! It is off the table for many families.

Listen in all honesty what would you rather- a partial scholarship at Univ of Souh Utah Valley or saying "hey let's do a JC for a year or two and see what happens?"
My point being if you are going to make choices on those schools you should also be frank about how it sets them up for grad school or whatever.
Why I also find interesting is sooooooo many people on this board are so focused on club branding and feel like for example "surf always produces so it will continue to" and "blues always produces top people" (even though coaching staff at both is basically unrecognizable from five years ago) but when it comes to an EDUCATION some are like "well is a good school" and don't recognize that the college your child chooses very well can shape a large portion of their twenties. The same logic as to why you chose a club isn't applied to college.
It's odd.
I have always thought the committ page was a sham. I stick to the google doc.
I don't begrudge any family but I agree with the poster that said some of these schools are nothing to brag about. Just because you got money to go to school doesn't mean you should. For example a law degree from that school in San Diego isn't worth toilet paper anymore and grads are suing..

Less kids are going to college in general due to the cost. We are lucky to even be talking about our kids going to good schools! It is off the table for many families.

Not even child belongs in college- that's a western myth. Trade schools and vocational schools are amazing and many kids are forced into a mindset that doesn't suit them. That's a whole different discussion but for example I met a girl from Legends and she said "I don't want to go to college I just want the ball at my feet.." For her though being able to play means college. Her father and I had a great conversation about it all.

I just checked Legends commits out....no names? SK?

Where I'm talking about is on their website. ( http://www.legendsfc.net/ )

They just added a couple of girls who committed to Cal State Fullerton, but one of their first commitments of the 2019's was SK (YNT defender) to USC. I'll bet in week or two her name will be at the top of that list again, I've watched it happen several times already. It's why even though she's one of their earliest 2019 commits, she's shown as the third commitment in the column, showing up after several girls who she committed way before than and before girls who were added to the site way way after she was.

And here is one other thing most forget..college is NOT always the answer to a full happy successful personal life for all young adults. College does not guarantee monetary success, college is not mandatory in life. It seems at times standing on the sidelines of the the "olders" games that the parents are so brain washed that the only thing they can talk about is college this and college that! NEWS FLASH college is not the answer for everyone! And further more how many have truly allowed their children the choice of not playing soccer or going to college right out of high school or not going to college at all? I know several examples in my family and friends that are happy and successful and have not attended any type of college and others that are very happy that have done 12 years of college.
Little personal story..a couple years back we were driving to Vegas for a college showcase. The day before my DD coach had told me he had 3-4 big time scouts coming to watch her play in this showcase (she was only 15) and so as we were driving I looked in my rear view mirror at my little girl and point blank asked her "hey ----- do you want to go to college?" She took a minute and rolled her eyes and looked back at me through the rear view mirror and said "umm IDK, really I just want to go to play soccer and if college is the only way I can play after HS & club then yes"
It hit me then and there she had no clue, shit most these little kids don't really even understand what college truly is at 15 years old!

Back