Summary of Tryouts

Two weeks into tryout season for ECNL players. I would expect more activity after this final weekend of games. DD's will be deciding between DA or ECNL at their current club or looking at new opportunities at clubs recently added to the DA program. Clubs that have both DA and ECNL seem to have a big advantage in offering either option or a blended version based on how DA rules are set up. Will be interesting to see which clubs benefit most in the new environment and which ones will struggle. Time will tell.

Blended version?
I'm guessing those DA players that choose "development player" status so they can play DA (6 games unless DP designation removed then more), ECNL and HS. Seems to be a lot but might be a good mix for players wanting this type of experience? Again, just a guess.

I'm guessing those DA players that choose "development player" status so they can play DA (6 games unless DP designation removed then more), ECNL and HS. Seems to be a lot but might be a good mix for players wanting this type of experience? Again, just a guess.

I am seeing some DA2 players making what I feel is a great decision. Instead of going and playing ECNL and trying to be seen by the DA they are choosing to be developed in the system and learning the in and outs.

I see some players who are physically able to play DA but not technically or tactically. This can be due to injury lay offs, not being developed by previous coaches or just maturity. Our brains and brawn are rarely in sync at these ages. I think after a year or two there may be 25% of the girls DA ready. Seems like a low number until you think girls playing SCSDL or ECNL (talented but structured differently) have a 5-10% chance.

This of course is only if the particular DA actually follows the curriculum set out. If they don't this is useless information.

Got a 1st look at the Albion DA Team @ Cerritos Memorial Cup. 2 wins and 2 losses. Wcfc Ecnl beat them 3-0 and Slammers Larsen beat them 1-0. They beat FC Premier 2-1 and CDA Slammers 1-0. I would have expected Albion DA to win Cerritos Memorial Cup being the only DA Team in the 03 age group. Looks like the Albion DA team has a lot of work to do to be able to be a competitive team.

Got a 1st look at the Albion DA Team @ Cerritos Memorial Cup. 2 wins and 2 losses. Wcfc Ecnl beat them 3-0 and Slammers Larsen beat them 1-0. They beat FC Premier 2-1 and CDA Slammers 1-0. I would have expected Albion DA to win Cerritos Memorial Cup being the only DA Team in the 03 age group. Looks like the Albion DA team has a lot of work to do to be able to be a competitive team.

Albion SC Academy G03 Kooiman is the DPL team, not the DA team.

For the first year of GDA, here is what I expect for all 14 teams (03 bracket only):

Strong Teams:
  • Beach, LAG San Diego, Slammers, Legends, Surf and Blues
Average to Above Average:
  • Albion, Eagles, LA Premier, Pateadores and LA Galaxy (because of the fully funded option), Real So Cal, SC Del Sol and West Coast

Basically, the teams that had a strong foundation before this coming DA season should be well ahead of the pack on talent. The middle teams could end up being in the top bracket if they are able to land a couple of "unicorns".

I think it will take at least a few years with the GDA before we get a real sense of the strong clubs versus the average clubs.

For the first year of GDA, here is what I expect for all 14 teams (03 bracket only):

Strong Teams:
  • Albion, Eagles, LA Premier, Pateadores and LA Galaxy (because of the fully funded option), Real So Cal, SC Del Sol and West Coast

Basically, the teams that had a strong foundation before this coming DA season should be well ahead of the pack on talent. The middle teams could end up being in the top bracket if they are able to land a couple of "unicorns".

I think it will take at least a few years with the GDA before we get a real sense of the strong clubs versus the average clubs.

From what the old schoolers are saying; Wins and Losses are not imperative but what is significant is how your DD develops, learns, and performs under their particular coach. I would look at the track records of each coach including previous older teams that they have successes in providing College opportunities to their kids they have coached in the past..

From what the old schoolers are saying; Wins and Losses are not imperative but what is significant is how your DD develops, learns, and performs under their particular coach. I would look at the track records of each coach including previous older teams that they have successes in providing College opportunities to their kids they have coached in the past..

I expect my DDs team to be pretty good, but am not concerned with the record. Coach will push development first and results second. Basically we won't vary from the teams objective for the day/game to get a win, but definitely will try to win while accomplishing our objectives. I expect some bad results when he puts them through certain challenges and hope to be slight surprised when I am wrong.

Strong Teams:

If these teams you expect to be better actually follow the DA script you will see many players previously touted as stars struggle and players seen as average shine. The curriculum ask for different tools, skills and play styles to be executed than what most of our girls were taught and reinforced over the past 6-7 years. I expect a bigger adjustment period than most others do.

IF THEY FOLLOW THE CURRICULUM, I only expect Beach and Surf to remain in that strong group from the beginning. Word is Blues is going to see major changes with the DA group and Slammers for all intensive purposes has a lot of girls who don't play the way prescribed. I also hear Slammers had a major coaching change occur. We never know how the girls will react, but I suspect some serious feelings to be hurt since different coaches value different tool sets and mind frames.

If these teams you expect to be better actually follow the DA script you will see many players previously touted as stars struggle and players seen as average shine. The curriculum ask for different tools, skills and play styles to be executed than what most of our girls were taught and reinforced over the past 6-7 years. I expect a bigger adjustment period than most others do.

IF THEY FOLLOW THE CURRICULUM, I only expect Beach and Surf to remain in that strong group from the beginning. Word is Blues is going to see major changes with the DA group and Slammers for all intensive purposes has a lot of girls who don't play the way prescribed. I also hear Slammers had a major coaching change occur. We never know how the girls will react, but I suspect some serious feelings to be hurt since different coaches value different tool sets and mind frames.

Can you provide a link to the DA script?

Thanks

Can you provide a link to the DA script?

Thanks

No I can't. The club sent us the info US Soccer sent them when my girl signed and told her to study it and study it well.

If you follow USSOCCER_ACAD on Instagram they said today they would be posting mini series breaking down the core principles.

@C.A.M. Why do you think girls previously seen as "stars" are not fundamentally talented as well? What is with some people being stuck on"only girls who are big and fast are considered good", or "Big and fast = unskilled with the ball", Newsflash, some kids are in fact big, fast, AND technically skilled.

I know alot of parents who felt their DD was bypassed in the past are hoping this is their shining moment.It may be and it may not. it may be because there are now 300 DA/ECNL teams lol. But PLEASE stop acting like the girls who have put all this work in to be at the so called "top" haven't done the work to be there. Its a slap in the face to their hard work and skill. Theres room for everyone to shine if you are truly at that level. I don't even know if my kid is "elite" but damn I'm not going to put down others to make it seem she is.

@C.A.M. Why do you think girls previously seen as "stars" are not fundamentally talented as well? What is with some people being stuck on"only girls who are big and fast are considered good", or "Big and fast = unskilled with the ball", Newsflash, some kids are in fact big, fast, AND technically skilled.

I know alot of parents who felt their DD was bypassed in the past are hoping this is their shining moment.It may be and it may not. it may be because there are now 300 DA/ECNL teams lol. But PLEASE stop acting like the girls who have put all this work in to be at the so called "top" haven't done the work to be there. Its a slap in the face to their hard work and skill. Theres room for everyone to shine if you are truly at that level. I don't even know if my kid is "elite" but damn I'm not going to put down others to make it seem she is.

I never said all. I said plenty. I never pointed out a certain body type or speed. I never put down anyone's kid. I never pointed out anyone's kid. Please don't put words in my mouth. Don't take it personal because you feel someone is talking about your girl or a friend/teammate who has seen success. My kid has been on the team with girls who will continue to be successful and girls who will fall off. This is just how it is.

I said it because it's true. I have been railing on this topic for over two years. I said it because I watch them play and not as a parent, but as an observer and student of the game. Like any athlete in any sport the best system is the system that fits the mind frame and physical abilities of that particular player. Value of a player depends on the system.

If you have an issue with my statements then in effect you have an issue with the DA system and why it was created. Our failures at the YNT international level is clearly showing we are lacking girls with the ability to pass and defend in the midfield. I didn't make this up. I stayed up in the middle of the night and was horrified observing Japan run through with ease. The whole time the announcers were praising this American midfielder unable to defend or get out of her own way forcing the other mids and the defenders to cover for her so Japan had open passing lanes. ALL DAY!

You see my issue is with the coaches being obsessed with a certain type of player that looks good, but isn't effective. My issue is with coaches putting fast girls up top and having them chase the ball and score with speed, but not teaching them the hold up 9 game and how to pass. My issue is with midfielders who over dribble, dribble into double teams and lose the ball and never connect with their fellow midfielders, wings and forwards but stays on the field while a midfielder who touches it twice and feeds the ball properly is benched because it just doesn't look fancy enough. My issue is with a 10 that loses the ball and can't waste her precious energy to go get it back right away but stays on the field over the effective 2 way player.

My issue is we pay these damn coaches to develop these girls and most of them don't.

The girls we have propped up as stars through ECNL/ODP are no match for the midfields that Germany, France, Japan, South Korea and now Mexico throw at us. Our disjointed version of kickball masquerading as "direct play" is easily shut down by back fours who don't send the wings forward leaving them exposed for the counter and every top country has figured it out.

If a current "star" becomes a "great" or "good" player it isn't necessarily his/her fault at U15. The systems they have been in are geared towards winning because that is what is best for the clubs. Showmanship gets more kids through the door. I know plenty of good defenders who will not be effective in this system where they must trap the ball and pass out to the wings and not just boot it up. I know plenty of fantastic strikers that will struggle because they can't play with their backs to goal and feed the wings and mids making runs. I know plenty of keepers who will struggle because they have never been taught to play out the back.

So yeah I said it. Frankly I don't give a shit if you like it or not. Truth hurts.

In reviewing the curriculum, I agree with your assessment that slammers and blues will struggle with this style of play; however, if there's no accountability, it will be the same old same old.

Pooka I understand your frustrations; but the girls that are GDA material for the most part are already identified or at the top of the pyramid. Now if those girls dont work hard, get injured, lose interest, obviously those players slide down the pyramid.

I never said all. I said plenty. I never pointed out a certain body type or speed. I never put down anyone's kid. I never pointed out anyone's kid. Please don't put words in my mouth. Don't take it personal because you feel someone is talking about your girl or a friend/teammate who has seen success. My kid has been on the team with girls who will continue to be successful and girls who will fall off. This is just how it is.

I said it because it's true. I have been railing on this topic for over two years. I said it because I watch them play and not as a parent, but as an observer and student of the game. Like any athlete in any sport the best system is the system that fits the mind frame and physical abilities of that particular player. Value of a player depends on the system.

If you have an issue with my statements then in effect you have an issue with the DA system and why it was created. Our failures at the YNT international level is clearly showing we are lacking girls with the ability to pass and defend in the midfield. I didn't make this up. I stayed up in the middle of the night and was horrified observing Japan run through with ease. The whole time the announcers were praising this American midfielder unable to defend or get out of her own way forcing the other mids and the defenders to cover for her so Japan had open passing lanes. ALL DAY!

You see my issue is with the coaches being obsessed with a certain type of player that looks good, but isn't effective. My issue is with coaches putting fast girls up top and having them chase the ball and score with speed, but not teaching them the hold up 9 game and how to pass. My issue is with midfielders who over dribble, dribble into double teams and lose the ball and never connect with their fellow midfielders, wings and forwards but stays on the field while a midfielder who touches it twice and feeds the ball properly is benched because it just doesn't look fancy enough. My issue is with a 10 that loses the ball and can't waste her precious energy to go get it back right away but stays on the field over the effective 2 way player.

My issue is we pay these damn coaches to develop these girls and most of them don't.

The girls we have propped up as stars through ECNL/ODP are no match for the midfields that Germany, France, Japan, South Korea and now Mexico throw at us. Our disjointed version of kickball masquerading as "direct play" is easily shut down by back fours who don't send the wings forward leaving them exposed for the counter and every top country has figured it out.

If a current "star" becomes a "great" or "good" player it isn't necessarily his/her fault at U15. The systems they have been in are geared towards winning because that is what is best for the clubs. Showmanship gets more kids through the door. I know plenty of good defenders who will not be effective in this system where they must trap the ball and pass out to the wings and not just boot it up. I know plenty of fantastic strikers that will struggle because they can't play with their backs to goal and feed the wings and mids making runs. I know plenty of keepers who will struggle because they have never been taught to play out the back.

So yeah I said it. Frankly I don't give a shit if you like it or not. Truth hurts.

Crap that was seen at the u17 and u20 NT was really embarrassing... Besides the mids, The left/right backs for these teams were atrocious. You forgot to mention Politics dictactes player selection in most cases.

Back