San Diego Area?

A lot of parents here who have axes to grind. Their kid didn't make the top team and all of a sudden it's all about "winning" or "business".

I came into this area two years ago and I didn't listen to this parent or that parent because face it, everyone has their own opinion based on their expereiences. What I did, and what I encourage all parents to do, is use your eyes and look at how the kids in that club PLAY SOCCER. At 90% of the games it's the same thing, big, fast, and pushy soccer. Terrible fundamentals. Very little strategy or tactics.

I'm taking my kid to Surf tryouts because their teams, the teams I saw, actually try to play good soccer. As my kid isn't the early developing monster that can push her way through, her path to college is to learn to play quick, smart, technical soccer. And that's what Surf teams are, the ones I've seen. They seem to be teaching the soccer that gives players the skills to play at the next level. Is it a style of soccer that produces wins? Yes, if you have the skills to play that way. Take a team that bangs it over the top every time and ask them to play possession and it will be a disaster. There has to be an institutional commitment. And that's what I see with my eyes on the field.

Or you have top kids that are recruited and are exposed to tactics that are unsavory.
Potato or potatoe...you know to each his own. Let's not sugar coat it though that's what started this thread.
As respect to playing soccer many parents have neve played, don't know LOTG, and are a generally uneducated bunch. Sad but true so again depending on who you are speaking about at Surf you could be correct. As I previously stated there is a small contingent committed to education and the rest are sharks. I am sorry this upsets so many of you. It is like this at all the clubs.
So if you are the small minority of parent who knows the difference between rugby and soccer, defense and offense, and:eek:r has actually played then I applaud you.
For what it is worth never at one time did I not say that PD doesn't play a clean game. I believe the term is Cinderella soccer- beautiful.
As far as you assertion about direct ball I would suggest you watch a PAC 12 game or the National Championship last year. It's very eye opening.

This is a very interesting forum with so many facts & an equal amount of fallacies...none the less, extremely entertaining! I really do respect all the parents that take their time to share "their truth" no denying it can be enlightening.

At the end of the day, we have to make the individual choice that works best for our child & us as parents. There is no denying there are pros & cons to each club, coach etc...you just need to find the right fit for you. Some clubs are community clubs & feeders to the bigger clubs. While they may be consistent & convenient , their coaches may only have certifications up to a certain level. The commitment of the parents may be at a certain level...but if it is a fit for you... then it's the right choice.

One thing that I would like to mention...when looking at the club & coaches, take a good look at the skill level of the players too. Many times the club is good, the coach is good, but the pool of players that they had to choose from is not up to par. Sometimes being the "big fish in a small pond" may be ego boosting (for the child & the parents) but it may lead to a frustrating journey for your child...if your child is not developing, becoming bored, or is the player that the coach uses to demonstrate the drills to the other players...it may be time to reassess.

Listen to your child's goals/dreams, let them help guide you to the right choice: do they just want to play for fun? Do they just want to hang out with their soccer friends? Do they want to play high school soccer? Do they want to play college soccer?

Last but not least, the journey is what you make it.
I don't care what club you choose, know your value & threshold of what you are willing to accept. Then if it is crossed...speak up & handle it.
Don't bad mouth a club, coach, etc...take action!

Thank you for joining the forum today to give us your opinion! Glad to see the soccer mom coconut line is doing strong work! I wonder when the other 8 members of the squad will join us for a fireside chat?
In all seriousness we need a new thread. How about it's called "Ops at Clubs".

Thank you for joining the forum today to give us your opinion! Glad to see the soccer mom coconut line is doing strong work! I wonder when the other 8 members of the squad will join us for a fireside chat?
In all seriousness we need a new thread. How about it's called "Ops at Clubs".

On board...let's get it started..."OPS at Clubs".

Sunny was never on the B team so wrong.

Yes she was. After moving from her original club from up north, her first year at Carlsbad Lightning she was on the "black" team.

She definitely started with that team,.. Now was she moved up quickly? Of course,.. But initially on the B team.

It's a great story, I am not sure what's the shame in starting off on a second team and growing in to a player who has made USNT appearances.

Back