San Diego Area?

All about anonyminity in a soccer forum but if these posts are new parents who came from another club mid season you do not see the full picture of what happened this last season.
So yes, all opinion should be taken with a groan of salt especially if from parents who left a club to go to another before State Cup.
My eyes are wide open. Surf is a brand and a business. The Surf brand is about winning with their top teams and the Surf business is about building revenue through their B and C teams. I fully expect Pauly to pull from anywhere in San Diego or Orange County to put the best players on the field in order to win. I also expect Surf to put DA’s winning at a priority over developing our B players. By the way, Surf is not the only brand willing to recruit players outside the club to their top team for the sake of winning.

@Lone Wolf indicated that we will lose a player or two to Duggan’s DA team. This doesn’t surprise me at all. I do believe Blues Kale and Surf Condliffe have the strongest B teams in all of SD and Orange. If Pauly is not going to promote our best players, but Duggan will take them on his DA team, then they are making the right move for their family.

Duggan has a great team and is trying to build a brand as well, so pulling from our B team to fill a spot or two makes more sense than giving those spots to his top developing B players. I am not saying Duggan might not pull up a developing B team player just like Pauly will do, but obviously if he takes 1 or 2 of our players those were spots that he could be giving to his B team.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I would bet there will be unhappy parents on LAGalaxySD 04 Academy II team when Duggan pulls a few of our players and their little Mia didn’t get a chance to move up to his DA team. I am sure LAGSD coaches will have to tap dance around the parents and try to convince them they are just as important to LAGSD.

I understand some might not like Pauly’s approach or Surf’s approach to tapping dancing around and trying to keep their B and C Teams happy while they build their brand with their A, but for me it is a not issue. My eyes are wide open and I do know what Surf is about and I am a parent that has been with GC’s team since the start of the season.

I love competitive sports because it is all about real life. I don’t care what club your DD plays for, there are going to be some form or politics, or favoritism, or veil of secrecy, or promises not kept, or coaches that are not perfect, or coaches that suck, or management that is terrible… the list goes on and on.

I teach my DD to take accountability for what she can control, not worry about what she can’t control, and go to work. If my DD never makes the Surf DA team, then she has to ask herself if she has done everything under her control to make the team. If she hasn’t, then it’s her own fault. If she has and still can’t make the DA team than that is life. Maybe her best is simply not good enough for DA. That doesn’t mean she can’t stand tall and walk proud for giving everything she has.

Some may not like my opinion and that is fine. But don’t tell me I don’t understand what is going on at Surf. I know perfectly well what goes on at Surf. I just don’t care, because I can’t control what goes on at Surf. I care about what I can control which is myself, my attitude, how I react, and how I choose to teach my DD to take accountability for her own actions and work hard despite all the noise of club soccer.

My eyes are wide open. Surf is a brand and a business. The Surf brand is about winning with their top teams and the Surf business is about building revenue through their B and C teams. I fully expect Pauly to pull from anywhere in San Diego or Orange County to put the best players on the field in order to win. I also expect Surf to put DA’s winning at a priority over developing our B players. By the way, Surf is not the only brand willing to recruit players outside the club to their top team for the sake of winning.

@Lone Wolf indicated that we will lose a player or two to Duggan’s DA team. This doesn’t surprise me at all. I do believe Blues Kale and Surf Condliffe have the strongest B teams in all of SD and Orange. If Pauly is not going to promote our best players, but Duggan will take them on his DA team, then they are making the right move for their family.

Duggan has a great team and is trying to build a brand as well, so pulling from our B team to fill a spot or two makes more sense than giving those spots to his top developing B players. I am not saying Duggan might not pull up a developing B team player just like Pauly will do, but obviously if he takes 1 or 2 of our players those were spots that he could be giving to his B team.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I would bet there will be unhappy parents on LAGalaxySD 04 Academy II team when Duggan pulls a few of our players and their little Mia didn’t get a chance to move up to his DA team. I am sure LAGSD coaches will have to tap dance around the parents and try to convince them they are just as important to LAGSD.

I understand some might not like Pauly’s approach or Surf’s approach to tapping dancing around and trying to keep their B and C Teams happy while they build their brand with their A, but for me it is a not issue. My eyes are wide open and I do know what Surf is about and I am a parent that has been with GC’s team since the start of the season.

I love competitive sports because it is all about real life. I don’t care what club your DD plays for, there are going to be some form or politics, or favoritism, or veil of secrecy, or promises not kept, or coaches that are not perfect, or coaches that suck, or management that is terrible… the list goes on and on.

I teach my DD to take accountability for what she can control, not worry about what she can’t control, and go to work. If my DD never makes the Surf DA team, then she has to ask herself if she has done everything under her control to make the team. If she hasn’t, then it’s her own fault. If she has and still can’t make the DA team than that is life. Maybe her best is simply not good enough for DA. That doesn’t mean she can’t stand tall and walk proud for giving everything she has.

Some may not like my opinion and that is fine. But don’t tell me I don’t understand what is going on at Surf. I know perfectly well what goes on at Surf. I just don’t care, because I can’t control what goes on at Surf. I care about what I can control which is myself, my attitude, how I react, and how I choose to teach my DD to take accountability for her own actions and work hard despite all the noise of club soccer.

My guess is that Duggan has zero issues pulling up a B team kid. His current 04 team has several current starters (at least four) that were kids that worked hard coming from Lightning B teams.

Additionally, I can name a player currently on UCLA that came from a Lightning B team and was promoted from within. There are kids all throughout the club that can tell this same story.

My guess is that Duggan has zero issues pulling up a B team kid. His current 04 team has several current starters (at least four) that were kids that worked hard coming from Lightning B teams.

Additionally, I can name a player currently on UCLA that came from a Lightning B team and was promoted from within. There are kids all throughout the club that can tell this same story.
I agree. I didn't meant to imply Duggan would not pull from his B team and that LAGSD doesn't promote from within. I was just drawing the parallel that LAGSD will certainly recruit from outside the club as well.

Just like Surf will and has promoted from their B and C teams throughout the years as well. DA clubs should be trying to get the most elite players they can whether they recruit or promote. However, the comment has been made that Surf keeps bubble players on the bubble and then recruits from outside. I am just contending that Surf is not the only one. We live in a world where loyalty only runs so deep for either the player or club. I am just a realist. A player is on the bubble because they are lacking something that puts them on that elite team.

My point was if Duggan takes a player or two from our team, then there is one or two less opportunities on Duggan's team for likely a deserving hard working player on his B team. I don't think there is anything wrong with Duggan getting one or two of our players. If I were a coach and I could pull one of the top players from our team or Kale's team I certainly would as well and I would expect any good coach to do the same.

5 players? I call BS. If he lost players due to concerns over favoritism, good since the only favoritism I have seen him show is for good, hardworking players. And at this age this is exactly who should be getting playing time.

I have seen parts of games of this team including Manchester Cup. They pass the ball well and there are no show offs. Every win is due to the hard work of the entire team. The parents are supportive on the sidelines too. GC has done a great job building this team with the age change.

Now as far as the things you have heard, I have heard the same, probably from the same people. But what you have to remember is the history of this age group. The 03's and 04's are the product of the Steveo generation and entitled parents buying privileges. Add to this the pres dd being an 04 and you create a toxic situation of families with unrealistic expectations based on friendships. If you recall, the 04 A team final roster had to be redone this year due to certain players not making the team.

The B team has done a great job staying out of this mess this year with GC at the helm. Continue to stay out of the drama and they will do more great things in the future.

Love the post but know of at least 3 who left and reasons were not complimentary. No one is knocking b team- the thread is about a person finding a team and his particular style and organization was one that was not listed as conducive to a self described middle of the road player
As far as the rest, there was a very "colorful" post like yours is in the old forum. It coincided with the forum disappearing.
I can only say there are a lot of people who paint that surf a 04 as the "showcase team"but I don't know why they would want to draw attention to the team dynamics.
Remember Pauley was NOT the DA coach when it was 03/04 and he currently had that age group- Louis was!

This post is a passionate and well written one. I respect that and your opinion as it does appear you recognize the game but have found what is a good fit with coach and team. You are the minority. The majority of people going to Surf are unaware of those practices. I mean really who would go to an age group where half a team was from out of county and the other was "personal"? Think about that for a second- half the team doesn't have to show up to practices, or practices with San Clemente Surf, or PD drives up to OC to train.
Please do not draw parallels to LAGSD. That team that has been pillaged by Surf and Blues since 9 years of age and still gets rebuilt stronger every year by developing and keeping their own. I don't know if you "did the rounds this year" at all the DA tryouts but LAGSD really stuck out as being focused only on their players.
You mention other clubs that recruit from outside I assume you mean Blues. I would agree with you on that and look it where it has gotten them? They have the best B team in our age group and have had two of the worst years on record for their A teams because of not pulling up those girls and trying to "build a brand " from the outside. Next year that will fall apart yet again as most of the A team and many from that B team are gone now on other DA.
The arrogance at the "greats" is staggering and they truly believe it's "business as usual".
Also don't know if you are aware but the DA is totally player focused. Wins are not an issue and rumor is no scores until 15 (rumor for girls DA). So let's see if a recruitment and retention strategy will work for Surf now. I expect them to win State Cup in our age group. I expect them to win most everything but that doesn't mean I respect the game. Just like you I have my limits and when politics in little girls soccer starts I move away!
This year has been plagued by some very sad stories on this forum with Anaheim Surf and Arsenal mess. I think Surf 04 ranks right up there with a brand of politics and ethics that although not "bad" leave a bad taste in my mouth.
These clubs can build their "brand" all they want. According to US SOCCER the only brand is my daughter and I am building her. I know that I am not alone in quietly finding the right coach and team but focusing mainly on her, recruiting and technical development. All the best to you and your player.

Correct Sombitch. The current 04 team has "5" starters that came through the ranks from the "B" team and one even started as "C". Much of the team's success has come from development in house. One can also look at how long this group has played together. You don't see that too often. This is a team who is as close as any out there. It extends much farther than just the pitch. They push each other in good times and in bad. They pick each other up. Most of all they truly care about each other. And when a new player comes in they are made to feel at home. With the age group change this year we saw some new faces. They will tell you themselves that it didn't take very long for this team to accept them. Parents as well. I can't tell you how many sleep overs and parties this group has had outside of soccer. These are just some of the reasons why you haven't seen anybody from this 04 team leave for any other club. It's a lot deeper than just soccer. The coaches are very selective with who gets to come in. Of course the talent needs to be there but more importantly is how those players fit in.

These clubs can build their "brand" all they want. According to US SOCCER the only brand is my daughter and I am building her. I know that I am not alone in quietly finding the right coach and team but focusing mainly on her, recruiting and technical development. All the best to you and your player.
IMO this is the best quote on the whole thread. Good luck to everyone trying to find the right spot for their kid(s).

What player? If you are talking about Sunny I know her and her family very well and she was in ODP at age 11 (U12 she has a July birthday). I'm going to have to ask her parents if she was ever a "B" team player because I don't ever remember her being on anything other than Duggan's team before she left for Surf. Both of her sisters play for Surf "A" teams too.

Sweet kid, great family. She is going to help the Bruin attack this year.

What player? If you are talking about Sunny I know her and her family very well and she was in ODP at age 11 (U12 she has a July birthday). I'm going to have to ask her parents if she was ever a "B" team player because I don't ever remember her being on anything other than Duggan's team before she left for Surf. Both of her sisters play for Surf "A" teams too.

Correct. She was on a "B" team prior to her rise like many of the girls there now. They still have a player at LAGSD as well. The youngest dd is an 03. The girls all moved over together. Great family is right.

O

Sweet kid, great family. She is going to help the Bruin attack this year.[/QUOTE

Go for it -

I know her family just as well if not better.

She first came to the lightning b team from RSC.

It is true. But feel free to check the facts

"My eyes are wide open. Surf is a brand and a business. The Surf brand is about winning with their top teams and the Surf business is about building revenue through their B and C teams. I fully expect Pauly to pull from anywhere in San Diego or Orange County to put the best players on the field in order to win. I also expect Surf to put DA’s winning at a priority over developing our B players. By the way, Surf is not the only brand willing to recruit players outside the club to their top team for the sake of winning."

My retort to this is multiple likes for everything that is wrong with youth soccer summarized in one paragraph with families buying in.
By all means stay and play!
@Fact you nailed it bud

Sorry I typo'd that.

Yes - That's who I am talking about. I know the family just as well. Feel free to ask them all you want.

She came over to a Lightning B team from RCS and was moved to the top team the following year.

Sorry I typo'd that.

Yes - That's who I am talking about. I know the family just as well. Feel free to ask them all you want.

She came over to a Lightning B team from RCS and was moved to the top team the following year.

I will ask. I had a nice conversation with them this past weekend. They were excited about their middle daughter committing. I might just ask her myself. See what her perspective is. She is a great kid and my daughter adores her.

Correct Sombitch. The current 04 team has "5" starters that came through the ranks from the "B" team and one even started as "C". Much of the team's success has come from development in house. One can also look at how long this group has played together. You don't see that too often. This is a team who is as close as any out there. It extends much farther than just the pitch. They push each other in good times and in bad. They pick each other up. Most of all they truly care about each other. And when a new player comes in they are made to feel at home. With the age group change this year we saw some new faces. They will tell you themselves that it didn't take very long for this team to accept them. Parents as well. I can't tell you how many sleep overs and parties this group has had outside of soccer. These are just some of the reasons why you haven't seen anybody from this 04 team leave for any other club. It's a lot deeper than just soccer. The coaches are very selective with who gets to come in. Of course the talent needs to be there but more importantly is how those players fit in.

I am confused are you saying soccer is an actual team sport and cohesion and relationships matter? What?!
I thought soccer was recruiting random all stars every year and thinking that if you put a bunch of stars together they automatically work. Just like the u20

I'm curious as to why you would pay so much on a club that you admit cares more about the top team winning than your b team daughter's development. I would take my wallet and go elsewhere.

The Surf B team has been successful because of GC and hard working girls on the team. The strength of the team came stemmed from great coaching, supportive parents and a cohesive group of girls. There are no egos on the team
I'm curious as to why you would pay so much on a club that you admit cares more about the top team winning than your b team daughter's development. I would take my wallet and go elsewhere.

Surf's style of soccer is effective which contributes to their success. My DD has developed into a more dynamic player after joining Surf. My DD is also surrounded by talented players which elevates her level of play.

Surf's style of soccer is effective which contributes to their success. My DD has developed into a dynamic player after joining Surf. She is surrounded by talented layers which elevates her level of play.

Surf's style of soccer is effective which contributes to their success. My DD has developed into a dynamic player after joining Surf. She is surrounded by talented layers which elevates her level of play.

That's great, as long as you are ok with the top team coach choosing to travel up to Orange County to train ex-blues players rather than ever pick up your daughter for his team.

It's not a dead horse yet @Kicker4Life .
Anaheim has 18 pages and going.

I do think it's important to start a new thread though about Team Snap and the parents who reply all to manager emails. Important issues ..

Back