San Diego Area?

Surf's style of soccer is effective which contributes to their success. My DD has developed into a dynamic player after joining Surf. She is surrounded by talented layers which elevates her level of play.

Subjective. Coach specific although I am very impressed with not only CB style of play but also his commitment to education. This can also be said about PD. It cannot be said about GC so please- no.

Again my only reply is the quote from a current B team GC parent. It's really the quote of the thread. It should be used on he registration site. Make sure you heed these words when you decide between LAGSD, Sharks and surf all on the same day at the same time.

"My eyes are wide open. Surf is a brand and a business. The Surf brand is about winning with their top teams and the Surf business is about building revenue through their B and C teams. I fully expect Pauly to pull from anywhere in San Diego or Orange County to put the best players on the field in order to win. I also expect Surf to put DA’s winning at a priority over developing our B players. By the way, Surf is not the only brand willing to recruit players outside the club to their top team for the sake of winning."

Again my only reply is the quote from a current B team GC parent. It's really the quote of the thread. It should be used on he registration site. Make sure you heed these words when you decide between LAGSD, Sharks and surf all on the same day at the same time.

"My eyes are wide open. Surf is a brand and a business. The Surf brand is about winning with their top teams and the Surf business is about building revenue through their B and C teams. I fully expect Pauly to pull from anywhere in San Diego or Orange County to put the best players on the field in order to win. I also expect Surf to put DA’s winning at a priority over developing our B players. By the way, Surf is not the only brand willing to recruit players outside the club to their top team for the sake of winning."
Well
Well of course. Isn't this the nature of club soccer across the board? Some clubs just have more bargaining power than others. They would all do the same if the could.

Well
Well of course. Isn't this the nature of club soccer across the board? Some clubs just have more bargaining power than others. They would all do the same if the could.

Ha yes that's perfect. Let's all turn a blind eye to abhorrent behavior because we can. It really sends a beautiful message to women everywhere.
Soccer is so much more important than personal ethics, teamwork or gasp! Adherence US SOCCER GUIDELINES regarding developmental academies. They truly are worthy of all those passes..
The force of delusion is strong on this thread.
Surf has done their job magnificently with parents. Baaaaa baaaaa baaaa

Ha yes that's perfect. Let's all turn a blind eye to abhorrent behavior because we can. It really sends a beautiful message to women everywhere.
Soccer is so much more important than personal ethics, teamwork or gasp! Adherence US SOCCER GUIDELINES regarding developmental academies. They truly are worthy of all those passes..
The force of delusion is strong on this thread.
Surf has done their job magnificently with parents. Baaaaa baaaaa baaaa
My comment comes from a a deep sense of disillusionment with club soccer and it's administrators. I do believe many of the clubs would do what you say Surf does if they could. I'm not saying "sure why not?" I'm being irreverent. I just think this is how it is now. And I agree, it's disgraceful.

I'm curious as to why you would pay so much on a club that you admit cares more about the top team winning than your b team daughter's development. I would take my wallet and go elsewhere.
All I said was that I understand Surf's Philosophy. I agree with Striker17 the only brand that matters to me is my DD's brand.

My DD is not straddling the fence between GC's team and PD's team. Our family had a great year on GC's team. In my opinion, he is a great coach. We had an awesome group of players and parents and my DD did develop, competed against some stellar teams, and grew as a player. Oh yeah and she loved her teammates and had a lot of fun.

As far as I am concerned, I think Surf has a great program that fits my DD well. Next season, if my DD makes GC's team, she will be playing in the ECNL. Maybe the ECNL will not be the same with the advent of DA, but it will likely still be some of the best competition behind the DA. I fully expect my DD to continue to develop under GC's team and under Surf. I am not looking for greener grass and most importantly, my DD is happy where she is at which is all I really care about.

It's not a dead horse yet @Kicker4Life .
Anaheim has 18 pages and going.

I do think it's important to start a new thread though about Team Snap and the parents who reply all to manager emails. Important issues ..
LOL...I think we need to start a new thread since this dead horse just will not die and we have definitely hijacked @Alone's thread and veered just a bit off course from the original question.

@Alone, I haven't forgotten about you. I wish you all the luck in finding a team for your DD. There are enough clubs and teams in SD you should be able to find a good fit for you DD. Don't worry about any tryouts that have passed. I would begin contacting coaches if you find a club or team that interests you. And as stated they are still Tryouts for Surf, Sharks, LAGSD, and Cardiff Mustangs (tomorrow and Monday, the 6th).

I am helping everyone out. Let's just start a thread:
Things I dislike about Surf
Things I dislike about Blues
Things I dislike about Arsenal

That way it's easy access for everyone.

I am helping everyone out. Let's just start a thread:
Things I dislike about Surf
Things I dislike about Blues
Things I dislike about Arsenal

That way it's easy access for everyone.
Really....How about not just focusing on the negative. Let the parents that "like" their clubs be heard as well.

How about:
Things I Like or Dislike about Surf
Things I Like or Dislike about Blues
Things I Like or Dislike about Arsenal
Things I like or Dislike about LAGSD (come on, you didn't include LAGSD? I can show you a line of disgruntled LAGSD parents) And trust me it goes back far before the days of Carlsbad United.

Really....How about not just focusing on the negative. Let the parents that "like" their clubs be heard as well.

How about:
Things I Like or Dislike about Surf
Things I Like or Dislike about Blues
Things I Like or Dislike about Arsenal
Things I like or Dislike about LAGSD (come on, you didn't include LAGSD? I can show you a line of disgruntled LAGSD parents) And trust me it goes back far before the days of Carlsbad United.

You are right I failed! Yours is much better.
Yes I forgot LAGSD!
Let me start
I hate playing LAGSD lol!

Pssst.... Don't be fooled. Surf is not the only 1. Some clubs just hide it better. You don't think LAGSD is about revenue??? Come'on now.

Find a good coach and team for your player. What ever you think of as the "Club" is only based on your experiences with the teams your player has been on and maybe the team above or below. Some have good experiences, some don't. I have yet to see a club that has not had problem coaches, politics, problem parents, DOC's that have upset parents, etc...

LOL...I think we need to start a new thread since this dead horse just will not die and we have definitely hijacked @Alone's thread and veered just a bit off course from the original question.

@Alone, I haven't forgotten about you. I wish you all the luck in finding a team for your DD. There are enough clubs and teams in SD you should be able to find a good fit for you DD. Don't worry about any tryouts that have passed. I would begin contacting coaches if you find a club or team that interests you. And as stated they are still Tryouts for Surf, Sharks, LAGSD, and Cardiff Mustangs (tomorrow and Monday, the 6th).
Thank you. With Surf and Carlsbad the main issue is what are the tryouts for? Won't be good if they just trying to see how many teams they can create.

Thank you. With Surf and Carlsbad the main issue is what are the tryouts for? Won't be good if they just trying to see how many teams they can create.
If I was in your situation, I would contact coaches at all the clubs mentioned and ask if your players can attend some practices. I am not familiar with this age group, but the clubs mentioned are all good options depending on what the long term goals are. Talk to the coach a bit after practices and discuss options. Talk to some of the parents. Talk to your player and pick the best fit. You know your kids and will probably do better than any of us could advise you.

File this under advice for tourists and newbies at the beach: Teach your kids the stingray shuffle before you go to the beach. A stingray sting before a tournament would suck. Stingrays are not evil, they just don't like to be stepped on by monsters. Locals drag their feet when walking in the water (even ankle deep). Tourists pick up their feet. Guess who gets stung more often? I've kicked lots of unidentified swimming things over the years. The only time I have ever been stung was when I stepped over a pile of rocks into a sandy, ankle deep pool. When learning the area, start with beaches that have life guards (which are usually the best family beaches anyway). Ask them where the rips (rip currents) are, how to recognize them and what to do if caught in one. Boogie boards are great fun. Go to garage sales and get a few (and wet suits if the right size and cheap). Stay in the swimming area unless you are a surfing. If you leave food in a flimsy bag in your pile of beach stuff and go in the water, the seagulls will steal your food make a mess. If you are lucky, you will see dolphins. Good luck and have fun!

I agree. Sometimes the b
I personally don't have any problem with teams like LAGSD having many teams 4 to 5 deep at many age groups. They are just filling demand. That 5th team means some soccer player that wants competitive soccer, but is not quite good enough to play at the higher level still gets to play competitive soccer. The fact that LAGSD (whom I am focusing on because they have some of the most deep teams out of any club) has so much depth at each age group also means they have enough money to hire good coaches. So even thought a player might be playing on a 5th team, they are still within the structure of LAGSD getting good coaching and good development.

I have stated that Surf is about Brand and Business, but really every club should be about brand and business. If they are not, then they might not be around long enough to serve the soccer community. I think the spin this thread has taken is really more about the operating procedures of the clubs discussed. With so many clubs, teams, coaches, and players you will always have different opinions at every club about how each club decides to operate business.

The bigger clubs like Surf and LAGSD tend to have very good coaches and systems across the board. We might all have different opinions on which system is better, but really you find many very happy families at every club.

In my opinion it doesn't matter which level team a player is on, I think it matters that they are playing at the right level for their particular skill set and LAGSD offers a lot of variety or options in that area. You could find that LAGSD has the right coach and right team for your DD because they do have 5 teams at the 04 age group.

While I do believe both Surf and LAGSD care about the money aspect of running their businesses...err soccer clubs..., they can also care about the players development. It is a Both/And philosophy not an Either/Or philosophy. Clearly some on this thread believe I have just accepted the fact that Surf is about Brand and Business only, but as a result doesn't care about the players. That is not what I intended. I have been around big business most of my career and I understand there is a delicate balance between an organizations goal of making money and building their brand while still operating their particular business and developing a culture. The culture aspect of a business is what draws and detracts employees. With all our different preferences some cultures draw us in and some repel us away. A culture that repels me away is not bad it is just not for me, but it may be the perfect culture for someone else.

Getting back to soccer, when club that has been mentioned is San Marcos Revolution. They have a lot of volunteer coaches that are very passionate about soccer and really don't care about the business of club. You may also seriously consider the Mustangs. This smaller club has a big focus on individual soccer skills and have a very passionate base of skilled coaches.

Back to the original question. Find a great coach who cares about more than winning. Someone who is invested in your daughter. Don't worry about club or the various acronyms floating around.

A lot of parents here who have axes to grind. Their kid didn't make the top team and all of a sudden it's all about "winning" or "business".

I came into this area two years ago and I didn't listen to this parent or that parent because face it, everyone has their own opinion based on their expereiences. What I did, and what I encourage all parents to do, is use your eyes and look at how the kids in that club PLAY SOCCER. At 90% of the games it's the same thing, big, fast, and pushy soccer. Terrible fundamentals. Very little strategy or tactics.

I'm taking my kid to Surf tryouts because their teams, the teams I saw, actually try to play good soccer. As my kid isn't the early developing monster that can push her way through, her path to college is to learn to play quick, smart, technical soccer. And that's what Surf teams are, the ones I've seen. They seem to be teaching the soccer that gives players the skills to play at the next level. Is it a style of soccer that produces wins? Yes, if you have the skills to play that way. Take a team that bangs it over the top every time and ask them to play possession and it will be a disaster. There has to be an institutional commitment. And that's what I see with my eyes on the field.

Take a team that bangs it over the top every time and ask them to play possession and it will be a disaster.
The opposite is true as well. While everyone should emphasize possession, it is good to be able to play direct as well since all it takes to shut down a possession team is a few key match-ups in midfield.

Back