San Diego Area?

Alone

BRONZE
Any middle level teams looking for players? Planning on going to the Surf of Sharks tryouts but would prefer other options.

Any middle level teams looking for players? Planning on going to the Surf of Sharks tryouts but would prefer other options.

Middle level? So you are starting at the most expensive?

Where do you live? What is the player's experience? What can you afford? What is the long-term objective?

As I have stated in a different thread recently, most players would get the same results (training, exposure, enjoyment) with an AYSO select team for a lot less money, end to end. Find the nearest three clubs (our beloved State organization has a club locator at
http://www.calsouth.com/en/league-club-locator/)
and pick one.

If we are being brutally honest I would avoid the B team situation at Surf 2004 like the plague as well as the Sharks ECNL and below teams due to the coach plain and simple
If you are looking for a good team :
NOTTS FOREST- local, great coach, has beaten many of the bigs this year
REBELS- consistent and can see whose coaching
SDSC- Montoya is a good coach always a solid group of girls and families- solid development but lots of tourneys
LAGSD- I don't know who is coaching the 04 B but I like what they are doing
SD FORCE- formerly Arsenal . Adrian is doing 04 and they are looking for players. 03 a is Jose and no one is better than that guy!
If it were me and I was looking mid level, local I would firmly choose either Notts or FORCE with the Ocampos

Middle level? So you are starting at the most expensive?

Where do you live? What is the player's experience? What can you afford? What is the long-term objective?

As I have stated in a different thread recently, most players would get the same results (training, exposure, enjoyment) with an AYSO select team for a lot less money, end to end. Find the nearest three clubs (our beloved State organization has a club locator at
http://www.calsouth.com/en/league-club-locator/)
and pick one.

Those are the last two with scheduled tryouts. Since most teams are still forming hoping that a parent or coach knows of a team still looking.

If we are being brutally honest I would avoid the B team situation at Surf 2004 like the plague as well as the Sharks ECNL and below teams due to the coach plain and simple
SDSC- Montoya is a good coach always a solid group of girls and families- solid development but lots of tourneys
SD FORCE- formerly Arsenal . Adrian is doing 04 and they are looking for players. 03 a is Jose and no one is better than that guy!
If it were me and I was looking mid level, local I would firmly choose either Notts or FORCE with the Ocampos
Thank you, I think most of those are formed but may try Force.

Those are the last two with scheduled tryouts. Since most teams are still forming hoping that a parent or coach knows of a team still looking.

All those I listed are in fact still looking.
All the coaches have cells and or emails and are readily accessible.
If you need their info PM me.
For the record I only care not to help with the coach but because I would never want my kid on that surf b team or sharks and there are much better options at a more reasonable price with better families . No one deserves to feel pressured when there are still options

A good experienced player can try out any time. Contact a local club and find out when they are practicing. Teams below high school age may be on a long-term break; high school players are going through CIF playoffs now but clubs will be working out soon preparing for State/National Cup.

On my son's team, we had midsummer additions of players moving into town (one from Ohio, one from Iceland) that were signed up by the end of the first practice.

Coaches are always looking for players. I like Striker17's list. If you are not going to be on the DA or ECNL teams at Surf, I would avoid them. Sharks can be hit or miss with coaches. It also depends on where you live and how far you want to drive to practice 2-3 times a week.

At 04 we have time. I know it's a stressful time of year but we have time. Find a good coach, focus on good grades, encourage a athletic and school and social balance, and let her grow.
You are looking for a mid level team- at the very least reach out to the coaches and see their style and what she likes. You may be suprised!
Don't be discouraged

PSS I seem like a fan girl but I also want to add something about my list-
Those coaches are looking for pieces and they are good at their jobs! Don't feel pressure. They have a tendency to look at the whole package and you won't feel that "put in your stomach" feeling when you reach out and meet with them. They are good coaches and good people - especially Jose Ocampo!

Contact the coaches as said above. At this point, many coaches are looking for specific needs. Your DD might just fit a number of team needs.

I would try SDSC if you are up north inland (RB, PQ, Scripps,Poway). They have multiple teams in this age group and can find a good fit for yours. Notts and Force are smaller clubs with one or two teams and typically a very strong and weak team that might not fit your mid level player

I would try SDSC if you are up north inland (RB, PQ, Scripps,Poway). They have multiple teams in this age group and can find a good fit for yours. Notts and Force are smaller clubs with one or two teams and typically a very strong and weak team that might not fit your mid level player

I agree that it may not be worth your time to look at force or notts with a mid level player but I am not sure what you mean by mid level. SDSC and sharks b are good options. There's also rebels b and Encinitas. I would say it depends on where you live and now far you want to travel. Good luck!

I agree that it may not be worth your time to look at force or notts with a mid level player but I am not sure what you mean by mid level. SDSC and sharks b are good options. There's also rebels b and Encinitas. I would say it depends on where you live and now far you want to travel. Good luck!
Mid level, good touch, good knowledge/vision, not fast, not big, uses both feet both but is not aggressive enough to be good yet, needs to learn some things but is getting better. I hoped she would quit but she actually wants to play. I have an older kid so have seen a lot of the changes and know a lot of the coaches/clubs and what they do. My kid needs a coach that understands how girls work, cares enough to shows up 15 min before practice starts, and is encouraging. That's what mid level means to me. High level girls don't need some of that.

Not sure about rumors I heard today but you may be right. I don't know what CSL, SCDSL or SDDA will be like next year with no Carlsbad, Albion, Surf. These are extra strange times as a parent. Because of all of the changes what I thought was a good situation ended up not so good, not the first time that has happened. A few years ago being on a B-team for Surf wasn't bad. Maybe with the changes it won't be so bad again? I don't think the Albion situation is going to end very well. Any insight on the Sharks and Surf? Will the B and C teams be valued at all?

Mid level, good touch, good knowledge/vision, not fast, not big, uses both feet both but is not aggressive enough to be good yet, needs to learn some things but is getting better. I hoped she would quit but she actually wants to play. I have an older kid so have seen a lot of the changes and know a lot of the coaches/clubs and what they do. My kid needs a coach that understands how girls work, cares enough to shows up 15 min before practice starts, and is encouraging. That's what mid level means to me. High level girls don't need some of that.

Not sure about rumors I heard today but you may be right. I don't know what CSL, SCDSL or SDDA will be like next year with no Carlsbad, Albion, Surf. These are extra strange times as a parent. Because of all of the changes what I thought was a good situation ended up not so good, not the first time that has happened. A few years ago being on a B-team for Surf wasn't bad. Maybe with the changes it won't be so bad again? I don't think the Albion situation is going to end very well. Any insight on the Sharks and Surf? Will the B and C teams be valued at all?

You seem like an honest parent who wants the best for their girl and is realistic.
Due to that I will be frank with you. There has never nor will there ever be a time when a B or C team parent or child is valued at Surf. Save your self the 3k, bad coaches at 04 all the way down and go to a local good club like SDSC, NFFC or even more local than that. Think she is on the fence now on whether to play or not? Put her at B or C at Surf at 04 and watch her quit by July

What do you mean by the Albion situation? Thanks.

Don't fall for the A/B/C/D team nomenclature. Since you are late to most clubs' tryouts, talk to the director girls coaches and find teams fitting your child's play level, practice with them for a few sessions to get a feel of skill levels etc.

Back