Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying or maybe I said it poorly. Not talking on personal character at all only about financial pay to play model of DA soccer. Dinho and Pele are men from Brazil and have no merit in the conversation of American girls or boys DA soccer or on my point. My contention to the statement I referenced, Is the parent comes out feeling great because their DD is on a DA team, the club gets the money that pays for the top, but the player is never truly developed to their potential because they just are filling a void that typically club coaches don't have time to or care to push to get better. The player usually will max out of their ability. Thus the player was used. No I don't like this who does? And I do try to change it....everyday.
You stated your position clearly. I just took it in another direction.
People and players get used everywhere.
Players and people also use the systems in place.
Our job is to figure out how to come out on the winning end of things.

@MakeAPlayThere are entire boys teams where the parents pay $0.00 which is why it is important to have a girls program for the clubs.

If this is true and those clubs EVER use a public park or field, then they are in violation of California's "Fair Play in Community Sports Act".
From http://legalaidatwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Fair_Play_Act_FAQ.pdf

"The law requires that girls’ and boys’ sports be given equal access to resources such as athletic fields and sports equipment. The Fair Play Act covers programs run directly by park and recreation departments as well as programs offered by third-party youth sports organizations that use park and recreation facilities."

you played professionally? Prem League? Bundasliga? MLS? Im not being a dick, just want to get background. Thx

Yes but not soccer. Which was my point. We are talking about soccer so if you have a kid who is a pro baseball player or volleyball player or surfer or cyclist or skateboarder or golfer then your experience is irrelevant. Me and my player's other parent both played sports at a very high level yet when we entered the soccer recruiting arena it was 100% different than both of our experiences with recruiting in OTHER sports so we sought out help from people who HAD BEEN THROUGH THE PROCESS BEFORE.

I hate having to use capital letters so much but clearly there are reading comprehension problems on this board...

Sometimes, i think that many clubs, coaches, docs, and homers would love this site to be gone.
attacking folks who are trying to help out and pass on the knowledge, leaving parents to figure stuff out alone while
getting their pockets picked and their kid messed up. don't get caught up on the messenger, but rather listen
and follow the message. The Knowledge.

I personally do not know any of these folks, but I appreciate them. they do not need to be here. they have their own
secret college players parent's circle, if you really think about it the number of kids who played from u-5 to u18, it is a really
small club of knowledgeable folks. So, don't leave. Well, not until my kid plays college ball. ;)

Sometimes, i think that many clubs, coaches, docs, and homers would love this site to be gone.
attacking folks who are trying to help out and pass on the knowledge, leaving parents to figure stuff out alone while
getting their pockets picked and their kid messed up. don't get caught up on the messenger, but rather listen
and follow the message. The Knowledge.

I personally do not know any of these folks, but I appreciate them. they do not need to be here. they have their own
secret college players parent's circle, if you really think about it the number of kids who played from u-5 to u18, it is a really
small club of knowledgeable folks. So, don't leave. Well, not until my kid plays college ball. ;)

But you also need to realize that their experience is just their experience. It won't be your experience. Some people on this forum think that they are just "telling it like it is" and if you don't agree with them, then "you don't know what you are talking about", also known as a Know it All. My player was recruited in 8th grade and committed in Dec of her sophomore year in high school. She is not a purple unicorn...she left the ECNL when the recruiting process started, and never got a sniff from ODP. Her individual accolades are limited...But she will be playing in the ACC next year with a team that finished in the sweet 16 of the 2016 Women's College tournament. Plus she gets a huge variety of majors to choose from, at an institution close to family and a myriad of job opportunities. Our experience won't be yours either, nor will Ricky F's or gkent. Your path is going to be your path, so take any of our experiences with a grain of salt. And good luck on your journey GrassKicker.

Here is a list of questions we developed when speaking to a college coach during unofficial visits or player initiated phone calls...just thought I would share in case it could help out any pre-commitment players:

College Coach Questions

-What was your (insert conference)record last season?

-What was your overall record last season?

-What is your program’s most impressive accomplishment during the last 5 seasons?

-How would you describe your coaching style?

-What formations do you run?

-What is the style of play that you want to see?

-What are your goals for the team next season? And the one after that?

-How many players do you normally carry on the roster? How many do you normally rely upon in game situations?

-What is the practice schedule during the season?

-What is a typical day like for your players during the season? How about in the offseason?

-What type of training happens in the offseason and over the summer? Is there an offseason?

-What is the team’s overall GPA?

-What does (insert school name) do to academically support the players?

-What GPA do I need to maintain to gain admission?

-What should I shoot for on the SAT test?

-How do players compensate for time away from class?

-Do all of the players live in the same dorm?

-What state do most of your players come from?

-If I am able to earn a scholarship and then I get injured, what happens to the scholarship? Does it go away? Do other schools do it differently?

-Given the limited number of times you’ve been able to see me play, do you see me as a serious prospect for (insert school name)?

@CaliKlines you just can never really tell the whole truth now can you. Your embrace of the classic fallacy is going to lead to my prediction coming true. Keep on playing checkers Captain Cali. Keep on playing.

Tell me about how great the ACC is. Is it the Legends FC of conferences. I'm sure that you are familiar with the coaches from the top teams. How do Anson, Mark, Steve and Robbie like to run their ships?

You know what eventually happens to all false prophets don't you...

Interesting that many college coaches say ID camps are their preferred way of finding players.
It is interesting. My DD's recruitment journey started the summer following her 8th grade year at a couple "conglomerate" type camps attended by a couple hundred college coaches ranging from NAIA to national champion P5 programs. The camps were very well run so we were FORTUNATE because her teammates didn't enjoy the same level of organization at other camps.

One piece of advice, it is MORE important for your DD to play against top level talent then with top level talent. If your DD can hold her own one-on-one CONSISTENTLY while playing against g/wnt camper types, sleep well because she will get noticed and be recruited.

Jeff Jaye is all business. He probably paid goal
Nation to interview him. Coaches are any top players so they can keep their jobs. If your kid is good enough to play DA, ODP, ID2, ecnl PDP and she is willing to be aggressive and call many coaches she will likely play in college. Jeff prays on the middle and lower third kids’ dreams and desires to play college soccer. He’s here to make a buck.

All the info. You need us on the internet for FREE!!!!!!!! Any questions private message me and I’ll give advice for free. Don’t be a sucker to any of these recruiting services.

FREE ADVICE:

1) Play and develop at highest level possible. Play against the best competition in front of colleges and make sure your coach places you in the best position to maximize your potential.

2) Map out all options (D1, D2, D3, NAIA). Understand that some of the top programs demand lots of time and you may not be able to major in what you want.

3) It is very remote to receive a 100% athletic scholarship but it is possible to receive 100% funding through both athletic AND academic means. D3 you can receive 100% funding for your academic but 0% for athletic.

another way to get into a D1 squad is for dad or mom to call the coach and say “my daughter loves your school and will not need any money during her 4 years at your school”. Provided your dd can play that can be very attractive to the coach. I know families that have done this.

Totall disagree with Jaye about parents not being involved in the process. I wrote the barebones of the initial emails and allowed her to read them and add her two cents when necessary. I also collected emails from coaches all over the US. The first step is to let the coach know U interested. Buzz words like DA, ECNL, ID2, WNT, ODP attract their attention. A short video of two minutes can also help. Make sure you have your BEST clips in the beginning. Coaches have a short attention span and know from the first 2-3 clips if they are interested.

Videos that show execeptional speed, quckiness and technical skills are best. Goal scoring no so much unless you are scoring via the head or off one touch defelections. Most videos I have seen are boring.

another way to get into a D1 squad is for dad or mom to call the coach and say “my daughter loves your school and will not need any money during her 4 years at your school”. Provided your dd can play that can be very attractive to the coach. I know families that have done this.

The ideal candidate for a college soccer coach is a national team player with 110% of normal physique, rich parents who attended his school, and Merit Scholarship academics. None of the parents of those players (if they exist) are reading this thread.

Low budget programs D1 , D2, D3 and NAIA likely recruit at their ID camps.

Recruit from the bottom up. Look at the NCAA standings. Last place teams mid major conferences give one a
Higher probability of making their team. Then check their academics. Do they meet your needs?

WNT players can start at the top and move down. Most other recruits should start from the bottom (bottom as in D3 or obscure D1/D2 soccer programs).

Back