Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

During the high school season are kids allowed to attend a college ID camp? Thanks in advance!

I read today that CIF SS limits two camps per player, per season. They have to be hosted by a college and college coach. You need the HS head coach, Athletic Director and CIF SS admin approval prior to attending. Does anyone know if all this is true?? What a pain. Why does San Diego have so much more restrictions than our other CIF counterparts?

I read today that CIF SS limits two camps per player, per season. They have to be hosted by a college and college coach. You need the HS head coach, Athletic Director and CIF SS admin approval prior to attending. Does anyone know if all this is true?? What a pain. Why does San Diego have so much more restrictions than our other CIF counterparts?

It used to be worse - no ID camps with full-side games were allowed. If it weren't for rules, there would be no need for CIF.

From San Diego Section Green Book --

http://www.cifsds.org/uploads/2/3/3/6/23368454/greenbook_2017-18.pdf

<...>
c. Attendance at College ID camps in all sports
1. With CIFSDS prior approval, student-athletes are permitted to attend two college ID camps in any given season of sport. Attendance at any camp beyond two ID camps is a violation and would result in the penalties described in 601.A.
2. A College ID camp is defined as a sport specific camp, held on a college campus under the direction of a college coach.
3. Student athletes must receive permission from the site sport head coach and the Athletic Director/Administrator prior to attending the ID camp. ID camp participation form must be completed, signed and approved by CIFSDS prior to a student attending. Participation in an ID camp without prior approval would result in the penalties described in 601.A.
4. Camp flyer or link to camp website must be forwarded to the CIFSDS office along with completed ID camp participation form.
5. The section office will list approved college ID camps on the CIFSDS web site for reference purposes.

<...>

601.1 PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF BYLAW 600
A. Individual
(1) First Offense in High School Career in Any Sport 48 The student becomes immediately ineligible for participation with his/her high school team for a number of contests equal to twice the number of contests of outside competition or twice the number of practices/tryouts in which the student participated.

Funny how none of this affects the mostly male football players, yet disadvantages the most direct female counterpart to football (which would be soccer). If someone had the money and time, this would be an easy Title IX lawsuit to win. If a college coach is very interested, have your player attend the ID camp, inform the HS coach and AD and take the lumps. For my DD, this resulted in a scholarship to good D1 program. Fuck CIF.

Funny how none of this affects the mostly male football players, yet disadvantages the most direct female counterpart to football (which would be soccer). If someone had the money and time, this would be an easy Title IX lawsuit to win. If a college coach is very interested, have your player attend the ID camp, inform the HS coach and AD and take the lumps. For my DD, this resulted in a scholarship to good D1 program. Fuck CIF.

Yep. How anyone can possibly be scared of a school district is humorous.

Anybody have any experience with the upcoming Legends FC ID camp for girls that they would like to share on this forum?
Anybody know at how many campers do they limit this camp to?
Thanks in advance.

Anybody have any experience with the upcoming Legends FC ID camp for girls that they would like to share on this forum?
Anybody know at how many campers do they limit this camp to?
Thanks in advance.
They say that space is limited, but seems there are usually over a couple hundred and we've never had trouble getting in. It was a good experience for my kid and not very expensive in my opinion. The talks at the end of camp from the coaches was very helpful for families unfamiliar with the college recruitment scene. Not especially valuable as far as getting "discovered" by a school, if that's your aim, but it does expose the players to big time coaches and my player found the feedback as far as what she needed to do to play at the next level quite valuable. Don't go in expecting that a coach will see your kid and then suddenly she will be recruited. That's often a hope that parents carry, but not how these things go. I did see coaches really showing interest in a few players who were uncommitted junior/seniors but who must have already been on their radar. So manage your expectations. But the training is very high quality and my DD asked to go back each year. We're skipping this year because of other soccer plans, but they run one of the better camps she's been to.

If you player is a freshman or older, they should be emailing the coaches of schools they are interested in before the camp.

If you player is a freshman or older, they should be emailing the coaches of schools they are interested in before the camp.
My DD is a sophomore and has been emailing a few schools prior to all the showcase's and large tournaments she's attended.
She attended the LMU womens ID camp back in summer 2016 which was limited to 50 campers. It was a great experience for her even with being the youngest one there as a incoming 8th grader.

Will the Legends ID Camp notify us which college coaches will be in attendance prior to the camp so she can email them prior to attending?
All they show on their website is which colleges have attended in the past.

My DD is a sophomore and has been emailing a few schools prior to all the showcase's and large tournaments she's attended.
She attended the LMU womens ID camp back in summer 2016 which was limited to 50 campers. It was a great experience for her even with being the youngest one there as a incoming 8th grader.

Will the Legends ID Camp notify us which college coaches will be in attendance prior to the camp so she can email them prior to attending?
All they show on their website is which colleges have attended in the past.
Yes, after registering, they will email you a list of the coaches w/ contact info.

Just starting the recruiting process with my 9th grade daughter and we are not from So Cal. But I find this forum to be the most helpful. My daughter played ECNL last year and wasn't a starter. When clubs went DA many of her teammates chose DA and we stayed with the same team. This year she does start and is having a good season. Last year we received many ID camp invites because we played ECNL and that was it. Now that we are actually reaching out to coaches with video and resume, some coaches are replying back to us right away mentioning the NCAA rules but thanking us for reaching out, asking us to keep them updated with schedule, and pointing us to their ID camp. I'm guessing this is somewhat a good sign there is some level of interest by them.

Since we are new to all this, how serious should I consider doing these camps? The schools we are reaching out to are mainly D2 with a few lower D1 schools. How often do we contact the coaches that have asked us to update them? And what exactly are we updating them with - just tournament schedules? We are a middle-class family helping to put 2 kids in college right now at our local college. We support our daughter playing ECNL because this is what she wants--- to play in college. But it has been a stretch for us financially and I am trying to understand which ID camps we should invest in and at what point. Her sophomore year? And at what grade do interested coaches really start contacting club coaches?

And for those of you who have gone through this before with your 9th-10th grade daughters who were not the countries top prospects can you share your experience?

Just starting the recruiting process with my 9th grade daughter and we are not from So Cal. But I find this forum to be the most helpful. My daughter played ECNL last year and wasn't a starter. When clubs went DA many of her teammates chose DA and we stayed with the same team. This year she does start and is having a good season. Last year we received many ID camp invites because we played ECNL and that was it. Now that we are actually reaching out to coaches with video and resume, some coaches are replying back to us right away mentioning the NCAA rules but thanking us for reaching out, asking us to keep them updated with schedule, and pointing us to their ID camp. I'm guessing this is somewhat a good sign there is some level of interest by them.

Since we are new to all this, how serious should I consider doing these camps? The schools we are reaching out to are mainly D2 with a few lower D1 schools. How often do we contact the coaches that have asked us to update them? And what exactly are we updating them with - just tournament schedules? We are a middle-class family helping to put 2 kids in college right now at our local college. We support our daughter playing ECNL because this is what she wants--- to play in college. But it has been a stretch for us financially and I am trying to understand which ID camps we should invest in and at what point. Her sophomore year? And at what grade do interested coaches really start contacting club coaches?

And for those of you who have gone through this before with your 9th-10th grade daughters who were not the countries top prospects can you share your experience?
If finances are important then your player might also focus on getting the highest grades and scores possible. This will create more opportunities and options. For example, at Azusa Pacific DII, here in Socal, a score above 30 on the ACT can get your student a 100% free ride. A score of 25 on the ACT gets approximately $15-18,000 knocked off the tuition. My numbers might be slightly off but you get the picture. Academic $ combined with athletic $ can help the full picture.

As for ID camps one suggestion is that she target the schools she wants to attend and then go to those camps. Some of the big mega camps are money makers. Target selected colleges and write to specific college coaches and attend their specific camps if possible. Register your player on the specific college websites. Watch her prospective college's game film on the web if available. In many cases the winter camps are more serious than the summer camps. Look at the biographies and accolades of the players already on the roster to see the type of players the team selects.

As for timing she can call the colleges she is interested in to get some guidance. For example, one college coach told my player to attend his small winter camp where he recruited, and to skip his big summer camp, which was a money maker for him.

Thanks for your reply SoccerObserver. It’s very helpful. I have a couple more questions for those of you who’ve gone through this or know of people who’ve gone this.

What are some things your college athlete wishes they would have done differently in their recruiting process?

I’ve read many student athletes quit soccer their 1st or 2nd seasons or transfer. I’ve read players didn’t like their coaches or playing time. Are there other reasons? I’m asking these questions so my d and I can have frank discussions on what to expect if she decides this is for her.

Thanks for your reply SoccerObserver. It’s very helpful. I have a couple more questions for those of you who’ve gone through this or know of people who’ve gone this.

What are some things your college athlete wishes they would have done differently in their recruiting process?

I’ve read many student athletes quit soccer their 1st or 2nd seasons or transfer. I’ve read players didn’t like their coaches or playing time. Are there other reasons? I’m asking these questions so my d and I can have frank discussions on what to expect if she decides this is for her.

Always, always, always pick the school for academic's first, the average lifespan of college player's is 1.5 years. I kept asking our daughter if she was 100% sure she liked the school as many coaches leave and is it a school she'd want to attend if she wasn't playing soccer, she was sure, 1 month prior to reporting I get a panic text from our daughter, coach (xyz) is no longer the coach! While everything worked out, it does happen!

Always, always, always pick the school for academic's first, the average lifespan of college player's is 1.5 years. I kept asking our daughter if she was 100% sure she liked the school as many coaches leave and is it a school she'd want to attend if she wasn't playing soccer, she was sure, 1 month prior to reporting I get a panic text from our daughter, coach (xyz) is no longer the coach! While everything worked out, it does happen!
The average lifespan of a college player is 1.5 years?? Where did you get this stat? That seems hard to believe. Very interesting though. Thanks for a follow-up with resource, Overlap. I'm sending my dd away to a college for 4 years...no complaining, no quitting (as it's in out region and I still want to see her play) :)

The average lifespan of a college player is 1.5 years?? Where did you get this stat? That seems hard to believe. Very interesting though. Thanks for a follow-up with resource, Overlap. I'm sending my dd away to a college for 4 years...no complaining, no quitting (as it's in out region and I still want to see her play) :)

One of the recruiters and it was also listed in the NCAA booklet 2 years ago. It factored injuries, transfers and those player's that just stopped playing all together. I know 2 kid's that went off to play 1 & 2 years before my DD and the older one red shirted her first year and quit the second year because the coach wouldn't let her do her internship the following year and play soccer, the second kid played her first year, coach left, didn't get playing time her second year and transferred. I know that's only 2 but, I see it happening on my older DD's college team as well, 3 ACL injuries, 2 quit so, just keep in mind, it happens. I'm actually glad our DD went D3 as the scholarship wasn't tied to soccer, just merit so, in the event she decides she's done, they don't pull the scholarship. Be prepared, I felt the same way as you, I was really looking forward to seeing her play in person, she had local offers and I was thinking, this is all falling into place. She gets a call from 4 other schools, goes to visit the first in upstate NY on a Friday, coach is taking her back to the airport on Sunday, local coach calls our DD in the car, wants to facetime, he found out she was in NY, then both coaches know about each other, both want a commitment by Monday, we talk when she gets home. I tell her you need to notify the 2 schools that you won't get to and then make a decision on which school you'd want to play for, keeping in mind, which school would you attend if you weren't playing soccer or if your current coach left, she says she already knows where she wants to go...NY, I was shocked however, I've learned to enjoy watching her from my computer :) and even went to see her play in upstate NY in Oct, pretty awesome and she's thriving, now it's fingers crossed for our younger DD :eek:

Back