Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Lets lay a couple things out.
Club fee's $2200
DD alone with team!
2-3 out of state showcases:
5-day trip with flight - food - transportation team van split - tournament fee's - coach per diem -Hotel- misc "fun for the team" $1100.00-$1500.00
7-day trip with about the same stuff $1300-$1800
8-days National championship $1500-$1900
Family LV Showcase $1000.00 -
Weekends in Ca showcases with gas,food hotel average about $600.00 per weekend including coach per diem
Practice 25 min from home 4 days per week GAS
and the list goes on and on, so ya $8500-up is a real number
We don't have to pay club fee's but everything else we paid.

You missed something...and it's a big one.

Time/discussions/dialog, every weekend, with your daughter = Pricele$$.

The costs are outrageous. It's A la Carte soccer in today's world. The team fee is just the beginning. Travel costs are excessive, uniforms costs are ridiculous, ODP is out of control, coaches per diem, transport and the list grows every month. The worst new one is now clubs who employ skill trainers and private so called strength coaches for DA teams for before practice technical warmup for "skill development". Then turn around and use that connection to grow their own private business and charge obscene amounts for out of club individual training for some players all while other players on same team pay nothing for same session. This is toxic to club soccer and to a team but yet will be the norm soon enough. Clubs create an environment of keep up or fall behind and pay to play or your replaced. The bottom end is paying for the top end. Nothing new in club soccer or America.

The costs are outrageous. It's A la Carte soccer in today's world. Clubs create an environment of keep up or fall behind and pay to play or your replaced. The bottom end is paying for the top end. Nothing new in club soccer or America.

While this is a very true statement, there is one difference. Generally, the top income earners pay for everyone else to play soccer and most will tell you that they don't mind. The reason that this is actually good is that some of these kids should NOT be on the field but because their parents are willing to subsidize other players, they get a pass. It's a win for the club and a win for the parent whose kid would not otherwise make the team. The big loser is the team...which is why you keep this hush-hush from the parents and manager.

While this is a very true statement, there is one difference. Generally, the top income earners pay for everyone else to play soccer and most will tell you that they don't mind. The reason that this is actually good is that some of these kids should NOT be on the field but because their parents are willing to subsidize other players, they get a pass. It's a win for the club and a win for the parent whose kid would not otherwise make the team. The big loser is the team...which is why you keep this hush-hush from the parents and manager.
No the big loser is the kid of those parents who is not being developed properly and is essentially being used.

@MakeAPlayOn the flip side, I think that you would be amazed as what has happened just in the last 2 years with the cost of Club Soccer. It would be safe to say that costs have, on average, doubled in the last 24 months as Clubs look to add heft to compete for market share.

My player paid about 5K last year.

Now, in sharks defense, I know of several people who spend very close to $10K a year and don't bat an eye at it. It is lunacy. They would be much better off opening a college account for their kids.

WTF? What club is charging these fees? This *is* lunacy. Further, my kid never went on a 7 day trip for anything except paid training camps. What trips go 7-8 days?

My player paid about 5K last year.

WTF? What club is charging these fees? This *is* lunacy. Further, my kid never went on a 7 day trip for anything except paid training camps. What trips go 7-8 days?
Maybe the DOC was marking up the travel costs to make mo money, mo money, mo money!

Truth is we have NEVER in all the years of my DD playing had to pay full or even sometime any sign up fee's, but yes we did have to pay all our own travel and personal expense. My "tone" is based on watching others fall for the youth soccer scam, we don't fall for anything, we know exactly what we are getting and we base the worth a lot different than most.
And YES you are correct I do not for a single second believe you only paid $30,000 over a 10-14 years or youth soccer, If what you claim is true??????? Then you and I both KNOW you are in the top 1% and based on your self promoting, crazy ass boasting about your DD being the #1 player in the USA HA HA did you really say that!! OMG your are one of them!! Jesus dude/lady go erase that crap!!
But i will say you proved some great arguments with your crazy ass arrogant claims of having the #1 player in the USA!!:eek: And never paying a penny because she is literally the next big thing and the ECNL team cant afford to play without her.. The only girl that I ever witnessed was that little girl from SURF that was imported from South America to play up in years @ SURF and YES she was something to watch! I know your not her family.
If your DD is a FREE SUPER DUPER STAR player and yet she could only get a 75% scholarship where the hell does that leave the average SUPER STARS? 50%-25% 10%??
I still cant imagine writing something that outrageous on social media..your poor kid has a lot to live up to.

My player is better it's just a fact. I know great players that get zero dollars oh and I said 75%+ get that straight. You don't have to believe me about my player. Most people don't understand the phases of the moon or seasons. Plenty of people don't believe in global warming. I don't really care. Everyone eventually has to admit that I am right when reality hits. Let's hope that it doesn't hit you too hard. Good luck to you and your player.

My player is better it's just a fact. I know great players that get zero dollars oh and I said 75%+ get that straight. You don't have to believe me about my player. Most people don't understand the phases of the moon or seasons. Plenty of people don't believe in global warming. I don't really care. Everyone eventually has to admit that I am right when reality hits. Let's hope that it doesn't hit you too hard. Good luck to you and your player.

Your tone is that of pure arrogance and zero % humble. You are the perfect example of a horrible ambassador of how to act when you have a child that reaches a high level of sucsess in any sport! A little FYI for you, we have TWO professional athletes in our family NOT college level but the real deal professional level and we would never say the kind of arrogant crap your boasting about! Your attitude is horrific and embarrassing to anyone with an once of humility in life. I bet you were a real dam treat to share the sidelines with ha ha
Just by reading your immodest post makes me wonder WTH it must be like to spend weekends riding to and from games with you?

Dunno why some folks are freaking out over $10k for soccer. For some folks, $10k is just another after school activity. Like
some girls living in nice area going to $35k private skools and being "horsey" girls, also. where some dads build an indoor barn with ac
so their dd don't have to be in the sun and bugs. with privates coming to their house and own toca machine. paying for a big ass dinner
with booze for the parents. then, some secret sauce donations. for mere mortals like me, who can blame them if they can?
like it or not, elite soccer is a high status sport for girls. lots of clubs know that milk folks as much as possible.
just don't be a cow and focus on yoru kid.

Dunno why some folks are freaking out over $10k for soccer. For some folks, $10k is just another after school activity. Like
some girls living in nice area going to $35k private skools and being "horsey" girls, also. where some dads build an indoor barn with ac
so their dd don't have to be in the sun and bugs. with privates coming to their house and own toca machine. paying for a big ass dinner
with booze for the parents. then, some secret sauce donations. for mere mortals like me, who can blame them if they can?
like it or not, elite soccer is a high status sport for girls. lots of clubs know that milk folks as much as possible.
I wish I had a horse.

It paid off for our family.
It wont for everyone.

Be realistic about your kid's talent or lack therof.
Let them find their path and facilitate that goal, and realize there are no guarantees.
Everyone needs to make their own plan based on what God blesses them with.

No the big loser is the kid of those parents who is not being developed properly and is essentially being used.
Not the most positive attitude.
Isnt it the parents who "develop" the character of their children?
As far as skill, who do you think developed Ronaldinho or Pele?

If you dont like the system in place, move to change it or opt out.

Your tone is that of pure arrogance and zero % humble. You are the perfect example of a horrible ambassador of how to act when you have a child that reaches a high level of sucsess in any sport! A little FYI for you, we have TWO professional athletes in our family NOT college level but the real deal professional level and we would never say the kind of arrogant crap your boasting about! Your attitude is horrific and embarrassing to anyone with an once of humility in life. I bet you were a real dam treat to share the sidelines with ha ha
Just by reading your immodest post makes me wonder WTH it must be like to spend weekends riding to and from games with you?

Oh sweet you have a professional athlete in the famiky whoopee. I don't give a $hit. I played professionally too so what a$$hole we are talking about girls soccer. Are your professional athletes girls soccer players? No. So shut up. If you paid $10k+ for kids soccer I would take advantage of your dumbass too. You are an idiot and that is clear. Smart people take advantage of idiots like you.

Now what Mitch?

I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying or maybe I said it poorly. Not talking on personal character at all only about financial pay to play model of DA soccer. Dinho and Pele are men from Brazil and have no merit in the conversation of American girls or boys DA soccer or on my point. My contention to the statement I referenced, Is the parent comes out feeling great because their DD is on a DA team, the club gets the money that pays for the top, but the player is never truly developed to their potential because they just are filling a void that typically club coaches don't have time to or care to push to get better. The player usually will max out of their ability. Thus the player was used. No I don't like this who does? And I do try to change it....everyday.

Oh sweet you have a professional athlete in the famiky whoopee. I don't give a $hit. I played professionally too so what a$$hole we are talking about girls soccer. Are your professional athletes girls soccer players? No. So shut up. If you paid $10k+ for kids soccer I would take advantage of your dumbass too. You are an idiot and that is clear. Smart people take advantage of idiots like you.

Now what Mitch?
you played professionally? Prem League? Bundasliga? MLS? Im not being a dick, just want to get background. Thx

I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying or maybe I said it poorly. Not talking on personal character at all only about financial pay to play model of DA soccer. Dinho and Pele are men from Brazil and have no merit in the conversation of American girls or boys DA soccer or on my point. My contention to the statement I referenced, Is the parent comes out feeling great because their DD is on a DA team, the club gets the money that pays for the top, but the player is never truly developed to their potential because they just are filling a void that typically club coaches don't have time to or care to push to get better. The player usually will max out of their ability. Thus the player was used. No I don't like this who does? And I do try to change it....everyday.
Parents need to deal with reality.
First thing a parent must realize is the realistic ability of their player and the desires of their player.
I'm fortunate to have two extremely talented players.
One had the drive and the self motivation to be in the top couple hundred players of her birth year.
Two had the skills to play at the college level, she didn't have the same drive and motivation as her older sister.
I'm proud of both of them and what they accomplished playing soccer.
Players that have 1/2 the joy and accomplishment of my players will have had a successful career....
Good luck, play good soccer.

Back