Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

FAKE NEWS!
First of all NON of them are anything more than a verbal "OK" as a Freshman. And secondly the word "committed" is thrown around so loosely its crazy! The huge majority are not getting enough to pay for their gas to and from! Its a sham, if you truly look into the actual amount being offered to Women's soccer it is sad. Make sure you are doing club soccer for one reason and one reason only..the FUN of it, NOT the future of some great full ride scholarship in college. YES some do get that, but the time and money invested into club Soccer is not even close worth the investment if you think your getting a payback in college. Clubs blow this crap out of the world and ego maniac parents like to exaggerate what their kids are actually getting.

Mine committed as a sophomore and I'm getting a very very good ROI

Okay if you think so. I know that the $30k that I spent is much less than my player is getting so preach what you want to but the truth is very different. If I was you I would wait until I got a Uolder player that has been through the recruiting process before I made a negative OR a positive comment.

You are clearly no in the know based upon your post and plenty of parents with players know this. A 50% scholarship at pretty much any private university in America will cover what a SMART soccer parent will spend on club soccer. Now if you need to travel everywhere with your little Mia (or Mallory) then that number might be different...

First of all where and how in 10-14 years of youth soccer did you get away with only spending $30,000? We have spent (U-Olders) $8500.00 - $10,000 PLUS in one year on one kid flying and driving around the US playing soccer! You are crazy as it gets thinking you got away with $30,000 in a kids complete run of youth soccer! (notice i did not use the word career)
I have no idea where your player plays or what level they play (and I don't care) but your are totally out of touch with U-15 up top level youth soccer.
Just sign up fee's alone are way over $2000.00, one out of town 4 day trip with plane, travel, hotel, coach fee's and misc is minimum of $1700.00 per player! Keep in mind if you have a U-older player and they play at the top level they will try and scam you for 3-plus out of state tournaments "showcases" and almost weekly games out of town, plus 4 days per week training sessions and all the misc BS. Oh and don't forget out of state college tours!
So.. don't talk to me about my knowledge on what it cost. You never know who is on the other side of these conversations when using the computer for info.

First of all where and how in 10-14 years of youth soccer did you get away with only spending $30,000? We have spent (U-Olders) $8500.00 - $10,000 PLUS in one year on one kid flying and driving around the US playing soccer! You are crazy as it gets thinking you got away with $30,000 in a kids complete run of youth soccer! (notice i did not use the word career)
I have no idea where your player plays or what level they play (and I don't care) but your are totally out of touch with U-15 up top level youth soccer.
Just sign up fee's alone are way over $2000.00, one out of town 4 day trip with plane, travel, hotel, coach fee's and misc is minimum of $1700.00 per player! Keep in mind if you have a U-older player and they play at the top level they will try and scam you for 3-plus out of state tournaments "showcases" and almost weekly games out of town, plus 4 days per week training sessions and all the misc BS. Oh and don't forget out of state college tours!
So.. don't talk to me about my knowledge on what it cost. You never know who is on the other side of these conversations when using the computer for info.

If you spent that much it sounds by your tone that you are spending too much for what you are getting. I don't care if you believe me I know what I spent and for U10-U18 on an ECNL team that went to PDA showcase, Phoenix showcase and the ECNL championships every year. Not to mention ODP regionals and nationals. I spent under $31,000 (I kept careful track of it so again I don't give a $hit what you believe). Oh and my player plays on a top 10 D1 team and got more than a 75% scholarship. Oh and she is the best in the country under the age of 24 at her position.

I probably got a better deal on a lot of things compared to you. Don't be mad be a better consumer.

The only colleges that my player visited were in the state of California. They also did the Vegas showcase all but her U18 year. Also her last year I didn't pay anything. It was valuable enough having my player show up. Don't believe me if you want but don't be a hater.

Truth is we have NEVER in all the years of my DD playing had to pay full or even sometime any sign up fee's, but yes we did have to pay all our own travel and personal expense. My "tone" is based on watching others fall for the youth soccer scam, we don't fall for anything, we know exactly what we are getting and we base the worth a lot different than most.
And YES you are correct I do not for a single second believe you only paid $30,000 over a 10-14 years or youth soccer, If what you claim is true??????? Then you and I both KNOW you are in the top 1% and based on your self promoting, crazy ass boasting about your DD being the #1 player in the USA HA HA did you really say that!! OMG your are one of them!! Jesus dude/lady go erase that crap!!
But i will say you proved some great arguments with your crazy ass arrogant claims of having the #1 player in the USA!!:eek: And never paying a penny because she is literally the next big thing and the ECNL team cant afford to play without her.. The only girl that I ever witnessed was that little girl from SURF that was imported from South America to play up in years @ SURF and YES she was something to watch! I know your not her family.
If your DD is a FREE SUPER DUPER STAR player and yet she could only get a 75% scholarship where the hell does that leave the average SUPER STARS? 50%-25% 10%??
I still cant imagine writing something that outrageous on social media..your poor kid has a lot to live up to.

Hold on let me correct myself, we did pay for AYSO for a couple years but when we were asked by the clubs around town to play for them they all offered a 100% scholarship, then as she got older we paid once or twice some small paper work processing fee.
Did you really post about your kid being the #1 player in the USA? I still cant imagine writing such a thing, even if its true and I am sure plenty of other crazies could argue that claim. :confused: Just the fact that you wrote it on social media is AWESOME!:cool:
And let me get this clear, are you saying the ECNL team your kid played on paid all your travel expenses? Uniform? Fancy new patches? Because we both know the outside "sponsorship" never seems to cover everything.

Wow. 8500-10K in one year? You are paying way too much. The max I paid in one year of U-older ECNL was 5K (fees and travel). ODP is extremely low cost (100.00 per round) and YNT is free.

Further, if your kid is really good and can make a funded academy team, then those costs go away as well.

Wow. 8500-10K in one year? You are paying way too much. The max I paid in one year of U-older ECNL was 5K (fees and travel). ODP is extremely low cost (100.00 per round) and YNT is free.

Further, if your kid is really good and can make a funded academy team, then those costs go away as well.

I agree 100% with you @gkrent . We did it on the cheap with the Strikers. Noway would my kid have played ECNL at $10k a year. I would have just put that in her college fund and got her some academic money. Or had her run track....

@sandshark : Legit question: does that $8-10K include travel for family members cross country for tournaments/showcases? Or is that just for the player costs?

Hold on let me correct myself, we did pay for AYSO for a couple years but when we were asked by the clubs around town to play for them they all offered a 100% scholarship, then as she got older we paid once or twice some small paper work processing fee.
Did you really post about your kid being the #1 player in the USA? I still cant imagine writing such a thing, even if its true and I am sure plenty of other crazies could argue that claim. :confused: Just the fact that you wrote it on social media is AWESOME!:cool:
And let me get this clear, are you saying the ECNL team your kid played on paid all your travel expenses? Uniform? Fancy new patches? Because we both know the outside "sponsorship" never seems to cover everything.

My player is the #1 player in the country at her position I will say it again. Regarding ECNL we didn't pay her LAST year so please pay attention. The U18 year they had no travel expenses. They went to Arizona and that was it and I paid $170. You don't have to believe me. All my kid's info is out there and you can judge for yourself you just have to watch her on TV although live is better (you can appreciate what she does a lot more when you aren't forced to follow the camera). From U10 to U18 for 3 ECNL clubs I paid a total including travel less than $31k. That includes trips to the Nike Manchester Cup at U14, to Chicago, Denver, PDA twice, Phoenix showcase 4 times, San Diego showcase 5 times, Norcal for interconference play at U14, Vegas showcase 4 times and twice for the ODP Region IV and National championships and 6+ YNT camps.

Just because you can't IMAGINE something it doesn't make it untrue. Our kids obviously are in different orbits. Good luck to you and your player.

I have muted him so I don't know what he is saying, but sharks ecnl NOT 8-10k per year.

I have no idea where they come up with that number. I think that they must travel the whole family. That or I want a part time job working for that club. That is one helluva mark up!!

Same here, Eagles ECNL was $2200 club fee, includes training, uniforms, coaches per diem and $2700-3000 for ECNL travel fee includes, flight, hotel and meals. Total about $4900-$5200 a year.

Sandshark, your club is bending you over big time!

I have no idea where they come up with that number. I think that they must travel the whole family. That or I want a part time job working for that club. That is one helluva mark up!!

The only way you would hit that is if you traveled with the whole family. I don't understand why he would make up a number at random. Maybe he's including the Ruth's Chris meal he must treat his daughter to after each game?

This shows me that the soccer pyramid is in full effect. Players at the top will and do have a vastly different experience than players at the bottom, especially financially. have no doubt both MAP and the other poster are speaking their truth to their own experiences. It's just that the difference between those two families is night and day.

This shows me that the soccer pyramid is in full effect. Players at the top will and do have a vastly different experience than players at the bottom, especially financially. have no doubt both MAP and the other poster are speaking their truth to their own experiences. It's just that the difference between those two families is night and day.

I have another player that is not ODP caliber, and her costs are even LESS.

@MakeAPlay...keep in mind that everyone's perception is going to be different. There are a lot of people on this board that really don't know who your daughter is, and so many people in club soccer in general, who live in a bubble. Refer back to a previous post when I stated that the baller's don't pay or pay very little and rarely does anybody on the team know the specifics...ESPECIALLY TEAM MANAGERS. There are entire boys teams where the parents pay $0.00 which is why it is important to have a girls program for the clubs.

On the flip side, I think that you would be amazed as what has happened just in the last 2 years with the cost of Club Soccer. It would be safe to say that costs have, on average, doubled in the last 24 months as Clubs look to add heft to compete for market share. These are no longer non-profits in anything other than IRS Status. Money is driving these clubs to be bigger and bigger and teams are becoming more diluted than ever. Clubs will bring in anyone from anywhere as long as the checks clear the bank. Didn't Legends just add almost 20 teams to SCDSL flight 3 from a signature program to add more players to the Legends pool? These clubs are starting to make the Mafia look like amateurs. Guys that normally would have trouble landing a shoe shine job have figured out how to swindle middle class folks out of millions.

For those of you that don't know, and sometimes MakeAPlay forgets, is that everyone on this board is going to have a different experience. For now, MakeAPlay's kid sets the standard and nobody here will be toppling her from her pedestal anytime soon. As I have stated before, if your kid is the real deal, you would already know because it hardly matters where you play or for what league, recruiters will come knocking.

Now, in sharks defense, I know of several people who spend very close to $10K a year and don't bat an eye at it. It is lunacy. They would be much better off opening a college account for their kids.

Lets lay a couple things out.
Club fee's $2200
DD alone with team!
2-3 out of state showcases:
5-day trip with flight - food - transportation team van split - tournament fee's - coach per diem -Hotel- misc "fun for the team" $1100.00-$1500.00
7-day trip with about the same stuff $1300-$1800
8-days National championship $1500-$1900
Family LV Showcase $1000.00 -
Weekends in Ca showcases with gas,food hotel average about $600.00 per weekend including coach per diem
Practice 25 min from home 4 days per week GAS
and the list goes on and on, so ya $8500-up is a real number
We don't have to pay club fee's but everything else we paid.

Back