Pateadores Girls DA 03/04 - Observations

Well said, Booey.

There may be outliers, but I think your point speaks to a general trend that we will see play out over time.

Friendly devils advocate here but many would be shocked to see the number of B and above licensed coaches at "the bigs".
Again I am of the mindset mainly because I have experience with the boys side DA that many parents who have been a part of the ECNL winning culture will be in shock with what the DA is like.
For the record I want all the DA to succeed as I feel that every club represented is worthy and offers a geographical opportunity to traditionally under represented areas on YNT etc.

This is from a Midwest DA website:

Outside Participation
As many of you know, the Development Academy does not allow players to participate
in high school soccer and the DA at the same time. However, the DA does allow outside
participation in other sports/activities such as high school track and basketball.

Is this a DA rule or is it a club to club decision?

This is from a Midwest DA website:

Outside Participation
As many of you know, the Development Academy does not allow players to participate
in high school soccer and the DA at the same time. However, the DA does allow outside
participation in other sports/activities such as high school track and basketball.

Is this a DA rule or is it a club to club decision?

DA doesn't prevent HS soccer play, you can get an exception but must apply...those at certain scholarship high school's

You can't play both at once so you have to suspend/ drop DA until the HS season is over. There are also CIF rules you have to adhere to

The potential conflicts is all of this is how/if your club will allow you take time off? Some will but by the time you get back from HS play the season is almost over for DA and there may not be any of few roster spots or playing time by the time you return.

High school track can be compatible with a DA soccer schedules but basketball is really difficult being a fall sport. The amount of practice and games for basketball makes it super demanding for those that want to play DA also and have enough time for school work. Practicing 3-4 times a week for DA and playing games on the weekend during the 10-months program while concentrating on school the rest of the time doesn't allow for much time to devote to another sport.

DA doesn't prevent HS soccer play, you can get an exception but must apply...those at certain scholarship high school's

You can't play both at once so you have to suspend/ drop DA until the HS season is over. There are also CIF rules you have to adhere to

The potential conflicts is all of this is how/if your club will allow you take time off? Some will but by the time you get back from HS play the season is almost over for DA and there may not be any of few roster spots or playing time by the time you return.

High school track can be compatible with a DA soccer schedules but basketball is really difficult being a fall sport. The amount of practice and games for basketball makes it super demanding for those that want to play DA also and have enough time for school work. Practicing 3-4 times a week for DA and playing games on the weekend during the 10-months program while concentrating on school the rest of the time doesn't allow for much time to devote to another sport.

Your post is exactly why I think that it will change significantly from what the are proposing now. Having a player specialize in one sport at 12 is ridiculous.

Your post is exactly why I think that it will change significantly from what the are proposing now. Having a player specialize in one sport at 12 is ridiculous.
I agree completely, MAP. But, reality is, the impetus on deciding what sport to focus on will be well before age 12. The thought process will be to, "be better prepared for DA". So, I can see many parents thinking they have to have their little one ahead of the curve, when in doing so, hinders the athletic development. Different sports use different muscles and skills/movements. Just my opinion, but a more rounded athlete is often a better athlete.

I agree completely, MAP. But, reality is, the impetus on deciding what sport to focus on will be well before age 12. The thought process will be to, "be better prepared for DA". So, I can see many parents thinking they have to have their little one ahead of the curve, when in doing so, hinders the athletic development. Different sports use different muscles and skills/movements. Just my opinion, but a more rounded athlete is often a better athlete.

I agree 100% and it is sad that parents trying to do the right thing for their player will have to make this choice. I can understand perhaps if it was a really gifted boy because there is a professional option but even then if they aren't being courted by teams outside of the US then the potential rewards still aren't outweighed by a good degree. Look at the history of the first picks in the MLS draft. Look at the two Stanford players that quit recently. For girls getting drafted by the NWSL means making less than they could at an entry level job most places and most are done in 4 years are less. For the 1-5 kids per birth year IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY that get a national team contract they make a little more but not enough in my opinion to merit skipping out on all the other experiences that they are foregoing.

The question that parents should ask themselves is what is the goal for their player? If it is the national team then realize the reality of the numbers. 1-5 players per birth year out of millions. Good luck with that. I will take the Biology or engineering degree and grad school. Hell ZD's daughter is going to be President. Why would she give that up to maybe be that unicorn. Look what Pugh choose to do and she has full WNT caps and is the darling of US soccer!

Good luck to everyone however they choose.

"As a club, you have to start to think a little bit differently," Richardson continued. "Maybe you are not thinking so much about the team and the outcome of the team, but rather the way in which you are developing your players. As clubs, we are the platform and we have a responsibility to elevate our players."
Article is incorrect since we are talking a 1.5M player pool across 15 years of players. College is 4 years (not 15) and is 9.4% chance, D1 2.25% chance, NSWL 0.04% chance (using the methodology of the pyramid corrected for 1 graduating year of college; although, that is statistically incorrect method), and NSWL contract 0.03%.

Still long odds.

[QUOTE="Still long odds.[/QUOTE]

In general club soccer population, yes. 90% of the kids playing soccer at that bottom tier should be playing AYSO and just having fun but someone figured out how to make a buck. But, for the other 10% there is a 1 in 333 chance they can get a NSWL contract; and, that number is skewed because probably 80% of the girls won't even want a chance at playing NSWL; therefore, it is a 1 in 66. LOL. The whole pyramid scheme taking a general population of soccer players is skewed. A flight 3 player at age 18 should not be considered in these statistics. :)

[QUOTE="Still long odds.

In general club soccer population, yes. 90% of the kids playing soccer at that bottom tier should be playing AYSO and just having fun but someone figured out how to make a buck. But, for the other 10% there is a 1 in 333 chance they can get a NSWL contract; and, that number is skewed because probably 80% of the girls won't even want a chance at playing NSWL; therefore, it is a 1 in 66. LOL. The whole pyramid scheme taking a general population of soccer players is skewed. A flight 3 player at age 18 should not be considered in these statistics. :)[/QUOTE]

Take all of the graduating D1 players and the odds are still stacked against it. Take all of the graduating players with some sort of all conference award. Still long odds.

Article is incorrect since we are talking a 1.5M player pool across 15 years of players. College is 4 years (not 15) and is 9.4% chance, D1 2.25% chance, NSWL 0.04% chance (using the methodology of the pyramid corrected for 1 graduating year of college; although, that is statistically incorrect method), and NSWL contract 0.03%.

So are you saying the odds are pretty good?

Next open tryout for the 03/04 Academy I and II teams will be Sunday, January 29th from 1pm to 2:30pm at Laguna Hills HS.

I am sure Pats will put this on their website soon, but since we attended the prior tryouts, I am receiving these emails, so I thought I would share.
Any updates from Pats da tryouts last night? Any new information to share?

Back