Pateadores Girls DA 03/04 - Observations

For whoever has been to a DA tryout, did they seem to be looking for technique or physicality for the most part? If I'm being honest with myself, my daughter would not make DA if they are prioritizing physical, and I am aware that many clubs already do this. She is rather small and not very fast, but her technique is what has kept her a starter in her elite club and a participant of the national training they do once a month. I don't know if her skills will cut it this time though, being that the DA teams are of combined age groups.

Many variables regarding your inquiry: your dd position is significant regarding speed. If she plays left/right back, she better have afterburners and stamina. If she plays mid, does she get knocked off the ball easily? Physicality is not only important during the game but also in recovery. DD style of play-does she release the ball quickly or dribbles into trouble ( bigger girls will knock her around)?

If they can't do well in the beep test they are one and done at YNT camp. I've seen it. At the international level with only 3 subs everyone has to be extremely fit and ready to play 90 minutes being 100% effective.
I agree that's why I say it's not good data for a 13 year olds in December at a tryout. If you are invited to a NT tryout you better be checked off of a lot of the boxes the Pats had on their clipboards form the start. They stop Jr high p.e. Kids at 41 here in my area. Secret to it is you have to look at the beep test as a box with quicksand. You only let you lead foot hit inside the box X amount of time and that will get you to base. The value of X has to do with the lenght of your dds pants. Lmao but it's true and that will get you to 30 if you are fit. You may throw up but it will get you to 30. Beep Beep

Many variables regarding your inquiry: your dd position is significant regarding speed. If she plays left/right back, she better have afterburners and stamina. If she plays mid, does she get knocked off the ball easily? Physicality is not only important during the game but also in recovery. DD style of play-does she release the ball quickly or dribbles into trouble ( bigger girls will knock her around)?
My DD is a midfielder and relies on her skills to not lose the ball. She knows the game very well and is smart on the field, so she knows when to pass or use skill and dribble, and her passes are very effective. She has a good shot so she's one of the top scorers on her team. Her technique really is notable and she's one of the most skillful girls in the age group, it's just she lacks in speed and it sometimes does affect when she's faced with bigger girls.

I agree that's why I say it's not good data for a 13 year olds in December at a tryout. If you are invited to a NT tryout you better be checked off of a lot of the boxes the Pats had on their clipboards form the start. They stop Jr high p.e. Kids at 41 here in my area. Secret to it is you have to look at the beep test as a box with quicksand. You only let you lead foot hit inside the box X amount of time and that will get you to base. The value of X has to do with the lenght of your dds pants. Lmao but it's true and that will get you to 30 if you are fit. You may throw up but it will get you to 30. Beep Beep

Are they doing the real beep test? I only ask because the fittest runners get high 30's to mid 40's. It would be a stretch for a 12 or 13 year old to approach that.

Are they doing the real beep test? I only ask because the fittest runners get high 30's to mid 40's. It would be a stretch for a 12 or 13 year old to approach that.
Their system doesn't get calibrated like the NT but it's the same concept. I'm just saying it's not data that is useful in a 13 year old soccer tryout.

Beep test might not be super useful in deciding who the top players are, but if 2 players appear to be pretty equal, it can be one of the factors that is looked at.
Not fighting just chatting.

Beep test is nothing more then checking if you are fit. It doesn't really tell you if someone can go full match and it has nothing to do with soccer other then fitness. Only way it's soccer is if our dds yell "ball" shortly after the beep. Preferably at the echo of the beep to show smarts. Better yet yell "ball" and check your shoulders before the beep then I can add awareness to this test. The girls waiting in line can yell "man on" then it can be a group thing. Beep this is just cute lol.

I've had a couple coaches with many, many years experience at top level tell me that speed is crucial for girls at the younger ages. "Because they only get slower" was one quote I heard more than once. I personally believe that speed can be taught -especially speed with a ball- running form can also be worked on. Motivation to give all (or not) can also be at play. If you see her falling behind in speed- you should probably focus on it for sure.

My daughter doesn't play for Tad but I have always thought this was a great article and good synopsis of the items we are discussing

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/43695/growing-pains-girls-face-challenge-of-the-commot.html

Some interesting points. A successful coach no doubt. I wonder what his feelings are on 10 year old kids sitting in the car 2 hours each way to practice? Does that add to burn out too? I can't imagine a coach so sensitive to a child's welfare encouraging that process?

Some interesting points. A successful coach no doubt. I wonder what his feelings are on 10 year old kids sitting in the car 2 hours each way to practice? Does that add to burn out too? I can't imagine a coach so sensitive to a child's welfare encouraging that process?
What Blues team do you know of that only plays 2 tournaments and takes 6 weeks off in the summer? This article is from 2011. When did their philosophy change?

What Blues team do you know of that only plays 2 tournaments and takes 6 weeks off in the summer? This article is from 2011. When did their philosophy change?
It varies by team obviously. Seems like the reference is to his teams...which schedule wise is still accurate in 2016.

So what is a good number for a 13 year old to be at? I've had this question for a while lol

I've had a couple coaches with many, many years experience at top level tell me that speed is crucial for girls at the younger ages. "Because they only get slower" was one quote I heard more than once. I personally believe that speed can be taught -especially speed with a ball- running form can also be worked on. Motivation to give all (or not) can also be at play. If you see her falling behind in speed- you should probably focus on it for sure.
In any sport, speed kills. Pure Speed is not a coachable skill. Sure it can be worked on, but a lot of speed is god given natural ability.

In any sport, speed kills. Pure Speed is not a coachable skill. Sure it can be worked on, but a lot of speed is god given natural ability.
Soccer isn't any sport. Speed endurance is major but Quickness and decision making on the ball is key. I have a spike strip for every track star out there. Keep training for speed if you want to but it's worthless. I'm a T&F coach and I just shag ball for my dd. It's a different quickness we are dealing with. It's a 60m sprint inside of a 5x5 grid. Please Do Not focus on speed focused on making it look smooth and quick.

Soccer isn't any sport. Speed endurance is major but Quickness and decision making on the ball is key. I have a spike strip for every track star out there. Keep training for speed if you want to but it's worthless. I'm a T&F coach and I just shag ball for my dd. It's a different quickness we are dealing with. It's a 60m sprint inside of a 5x5 grid. Please Do Not focus on speed focused on making it look smooth and quick.

I've seen speed make plays that make a huge difference in games. Speed matters at several positions. Watch what happens when a team has a slow backline. Especially when you consider that 95% of all girls soccer is direct.

I've seen speed make plays that make a huge difference in games. Speed matters at several positions. Watch what happens when a team has a slow backline. Especially when you consider that 95% of all girls soccer is direct.
Right but then you call it kickball. Are we talking Baldwin Piano or Casio. We can't have it both ways. Chatting about the game @MakeAPlay nothing more.

@MakeAPlay you out of all people on this forum should know that because of the level your player has reached. You know a true alpha type player won't let a foot race happen in that 110x sometimes 80 if they are lucky. They will help a player up before they let it turn into a track meet. Fair play

Back