National Cup 2017...

I have it on good authority from a friend that the ODP stud from SDSC Navy is hurt and will be out for a few weeks. It should be interesting to see how they play without him.

MY PICKS for the round of 16
Colton America SC Gold - B2003 vs. Rebels Soccer Club - B03 Gold COLTON
Xplosion SC B03 vs. Fullerton Rangers B03 White XPLOSION
San Diego SC B2003 Academy Navy vs. Total Futbol Academy TFA
Valley United - Delgado vs. Albion SC B03 Academy - Garton VAL:LEY UNITED
LA UNITED FA 2003 ACADEMY RESERVE vs. CDA Slammers FC B03 Esparza LAUFA
Oxnard United Soccer Club vs. Oceanside Breakers -B03 Blk OXNARD
CDA Slammers FC HB B03 Godinez Black vs. Downey FC - BU14 SLAMMERS
TFA - FCLA vs. Arsenal FC B03 ARSENAL

Quarters:

CDA Slammers FC HB B03 Godinez Black vs TFA - FCLA

Total Futbol Academy vs Valley United

Rebels Soccer Club - B03 Gold vs Xplosion SC B03

CDA Slammers FC B03 Esparza vs Oxnard United Soccer Club

Both qualifying teams from group B, D, and F are through to the quarters.

remember
West Coast Futbol Classic 2016? godinez beat us one nothing and was a close game!
FULLERTON RANGERS B03 WHITE (CAS) 0 CDA SLAMMERS FC GODINEZ (CAS) 1 but it's OK, don't hate:_} you're an ignorant! so i don't pay any attention to any of your comments,
Yes, that was a close game. Nice job not getting wiped out Fullerton. That's what a 4-5-1 formation does, 95% chance of a 1 or 2 goal loss, 5% chance of a tie or 1-0 win.

It's a pretty ugly style of football though, 10 defenders crammed into the box clearing it for a lone striker who has to beat 4 defenders to even get a shot off. If I remember that game, I think your striker got 3 hard shots off, with 3-4 defenders all over him, all those shots being nowhere near the goal.

Keep up that style of football, you can brag how you just barely lost to the top teams. Meanwhile, mid-level teams will beat you 80% of the time because your kids don't know how to set up legit scoring chances.

Ok somebody just messaged me with this video

Not sure which of these slammers teams are still playing but here you go:

These are two pretty good teams. Esparza' right winger has really improved a lot since my kid last played him. TBH, the whole Esparza team has really improved.

It's hard to judge how good the Godinez Slammers team is from this vid. They got an early lead and subbed in a lot of players, took it easy. IMO, the kids look like they're bored and appear to be playing half speed and with slightly off first touches. They would not be able to get away with sloppy touches vs, good academy teams, but I'm pretty sure they would play harder and tighter vs academy teams.

Would you say either team is playing procession soccer? No offense but that doesn't look like high quality play to me.

For comparison, kids one year younger u13 much different, has play regressed since then ?

To be fair I found this video of the PATS 03 Academy vs. FCGS. Note they are the same age group. Not sure why its says U13 as I am very familiar with these two teams. This is a much more fair comparison to other academies in the area- A mid level and top 3

Not sure what some random last years academy game has to do with the teams in the national cup this year but if anybody has more videos of teams still playing in the topic of discussion would be interested in seeing
those. Anything for this past weekend of action that stands out? PK's and some other last minute action? another coach ejected for Irresponsible Behavior is not a good way to set a role model for players IMO.
http://cysa.affinitysoccer.com/tour...F597775BC9D3&tourappid=8350057&custid=3926764

CDA Slammers FC HB B03 Godinez Black vs Total Futbol Academy
Xplosion SC B03 vs Oxnard United Soccer Club

The final is normally streamed or recorded so should be interested to see those teams in action.

Not sure what some random last years academy game has to do with the teams in the national cup this year but if anybody has more videos of teams still playing in the topic of discussion would be interested in seeing
those. Anything for this past weekend of action that stands out? PK's and some other last minute action? another coach ejected for Irresponsible Behavior is not a good way to set a role model for players IMO.
http://cysa.affinitysoccer.com/tour...F597775BC9D3&tourappid=8350057&custid=3926764

CDA Slammers FC HB B03 Godinez Black vs Total Futbol Academy
Xplosion SC B03 vs Oxnard United Soccer Club

The final is normally streamed or recorded so should be interested to see those teams in action.

Slammers Esparza's coach was losing his mind the entire game. He became unglued at the very end of the game because Oxnard's keeper made a save, followed by their attacker coming in late and falling down, hitting his head. The coach ran onto the field and was screaming at the refs, as well as the keeper. It was pretty ridiculous.

3 of the 4 teams I expected to make the final 4 are in it. CDA Godinez , TFA both went deep last year too. Oxnard has had a solid team for a few years. Xplosion made it and while I didn't expect them they got a chance. The last time these two met Xplosion had a lead with 5 minutes left and gave up the lead and even the tie. Wish they played at a different time slot so I could watch the whole match and a enjoy a good match after such a long drive.
The TFA vs CDA Godinez will be good matchup. I'm looking forward to see a team that likes to move the ball around. The second round opponents we've see have all played different styles. We seen the physical teams and quite a few direct style teams, but I'm looking forward to seeing TFA who will pass the ball around. Still thinking it will be CDA Godinez vs Oxnard in the final. The two most consistent teams left.
One thing that might work against Godinez's boys is that they haven't lost or tied a game since July of last year. If they are losing in the second half I'm not sure how composed they will be to remain calm and continue to battle. Last years Strikers FC run was impressive and the loss to Hawks in the beginning of the season and then the first game in regionals actually helped the team gain some composure and focus. This team has what it takes with out a doubt. But it only takes one goal against you and all the missed opportunities can come back to bite you as the game goes on. And then there always the unexpected injuries or illness that goes around.

The fields at Temecula aren't where a National Cup should be held at IMO. Field 1 had thousands of patches for different grass. Don't know why Oceanside isn't being used if Silverlakee wasn't an option.
The refs continue to be very inconsistent and leaving a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
clown2.JPG
Slammers Esparza's coach was losing his mind the entire game. He became unglued at the very end of the game because Oxnard's keeper made a save, followed by their attacker coming in late and falling down, hitting his head. The coach ran onto the field and was screaming at the refs, as well as the keeper. It was pretty ridiculous.

lol CSL South Gold didn't even make it to the quarter finals.

To think that some of these kickball teams will be playing Premier next season. smh

They just keep stacking these teams with bigger and bigger players but have yet to seen any talent.

lol CSL South Gold didn't even make it to the quarter finals.

To think that some of these kickball teams will be playing Premier next season. smh

They just keep stacking these teams with bigger and bigger players but have yet to seen any talent.

I disagree......Some of the South Teams lost by a goal to some of the Top 8 teams.
A. During the Bracket Round AC Brea lost by 1 goal to Xplosion.
B. Colton lost to Rebels by PK's in the round of 16.

I personally dont like long ball Soccer either but if you look at a Global level, there are great Professional teams and National teams out there that play this style and it works for them.

The English league many years back was criticized for its style with a lot of direct play. But somewhere in the there they mixed a pass or two to the midfield.
Last weekend Godinez played a team that went from the back line to the front line almost exclusively. But I get it the coach had sucked the prior week employing the same style.

Funny how a possession style can at one point become boarderline boring but also a strategy that works as well. Looking back at Barça a few years back would pass, pass and pass and make defenses and teams fall asleep.

The English league many years back was criticized for its style with a lot of direct play. But somewhere in the there they mixed a pass or two to the midfield.
Last weekend Godinez played a team that went from the back line to the front line almost exclusively. But I get it the coach had sucked the prior week employing the same style.

Funny how a possession style can at one point become boarderline boring but also a strategy that works as well. Looking back at Barça a few years back would pass, pass and pass and make defenses and teams fall asleep.

Yeah EPL is still like that compared to some other leagues but good to see different styles, procession is a longer term tactic and takes a lot of discipline and training to get right. Not that many teams have the players, coaching, or commitment to pull that off. Those that do can use skillful players that aren't necessarily the biggest or strongest physically but rely on soccer IQ more.

The trend to get the ball to the "Beast mode" striker(s) and let them go to work individually is something that's a double edged sword for youth players. when that or those strikers are scoring 75% of the teams goals and getting feed balls all the time some of the other players become more limited roles players and maybe don't get enough freedom, opportunities, touches they need over the course. The beast striker develops, gets good stats, but the rest of the team not so much, somethings are missed longer term. Same could be said in a different way for the Sweeper liker center backs that lay and pray, covering for everybody.

Overloading the midfield or on a side while on attack seems to be way to get a better advantage and some teams are quick to adjust to those while others just stick to there formations and can be too slow to change. Adapting and changing to the situations is something teams can almost always work on to approve in some areas.

Not sure what some random last years academy game has to do with the teams in the national cup this year
That's this year's Pats 03 academy team. U13 is 03 this year for academy.
Here's 03 LAUFA vs San Jose Earthquakes for further comparison. Notice how the MLS team turns to boot-ball second half. You can hear Laufa's coach yelling, "I told you guys (at the half break) they were going to go boot-ball!"

The trend to get the ball to the "Beast mode" striker(s) and let them go to work individually is something that's a double edged sword for youth players. when that or those strikers are scoring 75% of the teams goals and getting feed balls all the time some of the other players become more limited roles players and maybe don't get enough freedom, opportunities, touches they need over the course. The beast striker develops, gets good stats, but the rest of the team not so much, somethings are missed longer term.

This is the basic problem of US soccer development. The problem is even worse than you described because often the "beast" striker is simply just physically more mature, and comes back to the average after a couple of years. And now you've spent years developing someone who ultimately turned out to be a physically average academy level player.

Back