GIRLS DAII

In the LAGSD "DA" program the girls will more than likely have true practice 3 days per week and the 4th day will be left for either strength & conditioning, speed & agility, film sessions, and a new "Mindset" program which I am probably most excited about. All LAGSD "DA" teams will be introduced to the program. As parents, we had our initial meeting the other night. This was meant merely as an introduction to the program so that we could gain a better understanding of what the girls would be working through. The founder of the program is part of the LAGSD coaching staff. What excites me the most are not only her Psychology credentials but the fact that she was a D1 head coach and also captained a 4 x national champion UNC team, was named MVP, never lost a college game, and played under one of the best (AW) and alongside some of the greatest players our nation has ever seen. (one girl named Mia) The objectives of the program are to get the girls to discover things about themselves that they may not have realized, explore their relationship with the sport, explore how they view themselves as a player & person. Recognize their personal strengths and enhance self image. What factors may be holding them back? All this and more working in either one on one or team building sessions.
I was able to sit down with my oldest dd last night (04) and walk through the program with her (in between her watching You Tube videos). I know the players will only get out of it what they put in. Like anything in life. I'm excited to know that a program like this will prepare her for her true path and allow her to set her goals accordingly. The first team session is this Sunday and I'm interested to see how the girls react to it. Many of them have already had Mindset Growth Programs introduced to them in school. I had to assure her that this would be much more meaningful. Another great point is that all DA coaches and DOC's at LAGSD will be going through their own programs as well. This is aimed at dealing with all of the different personalities and most importantly becoming better at the communication piece.
I'm not sure yet how this will optimize performance but if it can give just an ounce more of self confidence and self awareness on and off the field I feel it is really worth it. If the girls feel empowered they will be ready for anything.
If anybody wants more info on the program I would be happy to pass along your team's or personal info to the Mindset Sports founders. Just send me a PM as I don't believe their website is on line yet.

Games take a lot out of them if they are giving it 100%. I think coaches should cut down on the 3-4 day a week training during league when they are playing one or two games a weekend. I've seen a lot of bad overuse injuries this past year in 6th and 7th grade girls.
Or maybe they shouldn't be playing 2 (or more) games in a weekend.
In general, playing a contact sport on back-to-back days is not a great idea. The Development Academy is taking the emphasis away from playing in tournaments. They say they'll play 30-40 games over the course of 10 months. That's 3-4 games per month. Some kids are playing that many games a weekend, for 6 weekends across the summer. That's 18-24 games in 6 weeks. About half as many as DA players will play over 40 weeks.
Tournaments are a lot of fun. Teams make a lot of money from them. But are they good for young players?

Not joking not going to miss that scene one second this summer! There should be Manchester, Surf Cup. That's it.
Everything else is a hot mess.

Depends upon her age:

4-8 years old: 1.5 hours twice a week
9-11 years old: 2 hours twice a week plus another hour of privates once a week
12-13 years old: 2-2.5 hours 3 times a week plus another hour of privates once a week for about 2/3 of the year
14-17 years old: 2-2.5 hours 3 times a week plus another hour of conditioning and an hour of privates once a week for about 2/3 of the year
18+ GAP pack (YNT and college) once club was over and in between camps. In season training about 2 days a week plus 20-25 games. Just walk through 2 days a week. 1 full recovery day. Offseason training about 3 days a week plus weight training during the winter, 2-3 days of training plus weights and 6 spring games. Summer 4 days a week plus WPSL games and weights.

Does that answer your question?
MAP,
Did your daughter's team practice 2 - 2.5 hours 3 times a week? I really appreciate that you share your experiences.

They have straight up said they do not want Surf, Slammers, Blues or West Coast to be a part of this. Even if they opt out of ECNL down the road. Those clubs B teams would destroy the likes of LAP, Carlsbad, Albion, Pats and others. They want no part of playing them in the DPD.
You seem to have a lot of insider information which isn't public knowledge (which we appreciate you sharing to some extent). Where are you getting all of this?

MAP,
Did your daughter's team practice 2 - 2.5 hours 3 times a week? I really appreciate that you share your experiences.

Yes, once she hit U12 the practices were on average a little over 2 hours. Once she hit U14 (her first year of ECNL) they added a conditioning day where they would run for about an hour. They would do some distance and then short sprints. She also did privates once a week for about 2/3 of the year. If she had a showcase she would ease up on the conditioning and the privates due to 3-4 games over the course of a 3-4 days period is a lot. I would say fatigue is a big contributor to injuries in girl's soccer and we were very big on her having proper rest. She ran track in the spring so it was even more critical the second half of the year. We were lucky that she had a coach that put the players development first even when it might have cost him a game. I can't emphasize enough how important a good coach, that values the girls first and his/her career second, is to a players development and well being.

You seem to have a lot of insider information which isn't public knowledge (which we appreciate you sharing to some extent). Where are you getting all of this?
I hang out in a lot of dark alleys behind the right bars where secret meetings take place and I listen.

Agree. I am talking about an 04 here though. Perhaps it's my professional bias but I won't allow mine to train or lift over a certain amount. I won't ever be joining the 6 day a week single sport train
What are people lifting? I was told by several trainers that no weights should be done until 15/16. Right now she'll do body weight, that's all. We are at 5 days a week plus games. If she has 2 games that weekend we don't train Friday.

Not enough money in the world to be a board member of anything. Been there, done that, never want to do it again. Dark alleys and spy gear are more appealing to me these days.
Should I get my spy gear domestically or out source it? Like to China or the Russian Federation? Dang, maybe Trump can help me...:D

With the deadline of CRL playin being 4/24 does anyone know if any of the DA2/Reserve teams applying for CRL.

Any Cal south registered team can apply for At-Large Play In as long as the team has properly registered and rostered players on an Activated Team within the Cal South Online system.

Notice how the original GN article has disappeared like every thing has been previously referred to as DA2 has. A replacement article with some more different info likely in the works
http://goalnation.com/youth-soccer-clubs-launch-girls-academy-ii/

You can call a team whatever you like, new ones may have a tougher time getting accepted into Play In with no track record. Existing ones need to meet the player retention criteria or they are considered new also.

Any Cal south registered team can apply for At-Large Play In as long as the team has properly registered and rostered players on an Activated Team within the Cal South Online system.

Notice how the original GN article has disappeared like every thing has been previously referred to as DA2 has. A replacement article with some more different info likely in the works
http://goalnation.com/youth-soccer-clubs-launch-girls-academy-ii/

You can call a team whatever you like, new ones may have a tougher time getting accepted into Play In with no track record. Existing ones need to meet the player retention criteria or they are considered new also.
I think what they did with the article is rename the link...using dpl instead of academy ii
http://goalnation.com/youth-soccer-clubs-launch-girls-dpl/

I think what they did with the article is rename the link...using dpl instead of academy ii
http://goalnation.com/youth-soccer-clubs-launch-girls-dpl/

Changed the verbage and added a nice shouting bold quote at the end

Funny things with these teams promising to play in some yet to be founded league division, plus crl, nt cup, showcase, high school it becomes just another club deal that doesn't follow the da manadate of fewer more meaningful games.

Do as say not as you do... just rename this the rainbow unicorn division of the Starbucks league and put out another revision already. Players must be grass feed and drink frappes to qualify.

rainbow_unicorn_soccer_ball-r1096ff775b3a4cf18a040be2189736e7_jhbaf_512.jpg

Back