GIRLS DAII

In order for our DDs to get to the next level they SHOULD be doing this on their own as it speaks volumes about their dedication. I strongly believe DA will undercut that one on one time. Privates work! Our girls need someone besides the coach, whose focus is team concepts, to help with their individual needs. No need to jump on the negative bandwagon. @pooka is pointing out the obvious; a new patch didn't change anything. Top girls, are top because of ALL the outside work.

Uh yeah and that's why I have done it the last five years. Did I say I was giving up her trainer? No. I said scaled back.
You are talking in circles

What is more concerning - and people should take note of- are overuse injuries.
I am already starting to see four days a week combined with people not scaling back their weekend speed and privates starting to impact the sessions. Fatigue, disinterest, injuries... have
This is a whole new era. There are going to be some serious growing pains.

Top club top team.
You snuck in a phrase "on their own". Yes as much as I have enjoyed being a soccer Chauffeur for every speed, TRX, weights, film, team bonding experience at various locations for various private trainers that has scaled back a bit.
I am loving the "included in price and at same geographic location" aspect of the DA.
For better or worse our experience has been great and we won't be jumping on any negative bandwagon. It is the new reality and so we are doing what we can.
I totally agree that it sucks to be a taxi! Not jumping on a negative bandwagon, I am glad you found what works for you.

I am already starting to see four days a week combined with people not scaling back their weekend speed and privates starting to impact the sessions. Fatigue, disinterest, injuries... have

That sounds miserable for parents and child.

Uh yeah and that's why I have done it the last five years. Did I say I was giving up her trainer? No. I said scaled back.
You are talking in circles
I am not talking in circles. I said what I said. Girls need the individual training . TRUE top girls are not scaling back. They are adding more to their plate.

You know you are doing something right when the Surf trolls come out to play... :)

Look I am not a "Surf troll" but I do think that they have done a lot of good things for a long time and consistently put out the top teams in most age groups in San Diego and many of the best teams in SoCal and the country. Do they have the benefit of being a magnet for top talent? Yes they do. Top players migrate there to be around other top players. I don't see any shame in that. Personally it helped my player to have other players who's speed of thought, speed of play, dedication, skill level, etcetera were in the same neighborhood as her own. It was great to carry a team but that only develops a player so far. At some point a great player needs to play with other great players in order to get to the next level and Surf has been the one to consistently do it in San Diego.

I am not talking in circles. I said what I said. Girls need the individual training . TRUE top girls are not scaling back. They are adding more to their plate.

Plenty of time to scale back once the career is over or those couple of weeks during the winter and spring. Now is go time!

Our girls are 4 years away from college and some are heading to high school next year. practice/training everyday will be the norm . if they are having overuse injuries from just training (which has plenty of breaks and times when coaches are talking) then that is another issue...

In order for our DDs to get to the next level they SHOULD be doing this on their own as it speaks volumes about their dedication. I strongly believe DA will undercut that one on one time. Privates work! Our girls need someone besides the coach, whose focus is team concepts, to help with their individual needs. No need to jump on the negative bandwagon. @pooka is pointing out the obvious; a new patch didn't change anything. Top girls, are top because of ALL the outside work.

Sounds like you are speaking from experience.....

I see how that's an common concern. IMO, I think now more than ever these girls should be learning about recover, rest, and how to help themselves. Of course there are (hopefully) going to be team things and coaches helping, but things got to be done on their own time. After practice, stretching asap (as there are players that make the 1-2 hour drive), even if it's during homework or eating; make sure that her muscles stay loose, which allows blood flow, which helps her body recover, etc. Get a roller, have her work out the fascia in her legs. Things like that. Eating right. But a lot of this stuff is something she'll have to eventually take up on her own to do.

Our girls are 4 years away from college and some are heading to high school next year. practice/training everyday will be the norm . if they are having overuse injuries from just training (which has plenty of breaks and times when coaches are talking) then that is another issue...

I agree, overtraining that leads to injury would be practicing and playing to much. Where as injury prevention targeting muscle imbalances through weight training and plyometrics isn't. Example: ACL prevention

How many days a week did your Daughter train/play in her 15-16 years?

Depends upon her age:

4-8 years old: 1.5 hours twice a week
9-11 years old: 2 hours twice a week plus another hour of privates once a week
12-13 years old: 2-2.5 hours 3 times a week plus another hour of privates once a week for about 2/3 of the year
14-17 years old: 2-2.5 hours 3 times a week plus another hour of conditioning and an hour of privates once a week for about 2/3 of the year
18+ GAP pack (YNT and college) once club was over and in between camps. In season training about 2 days a week plus 20-25 games. Just walk through 2 days a week. 1 full recovery day. Offseason training about 3 days a week plus weight training during the winter, 2-3 days of training plus weights and 6 spring games. Summer 4 days a week plus WPSL games and weights.

Does that answer your question?

Agree. I am talking about an 04 here though. Perhaps it's my professional bias but I won't allow mine to train or lift over a certain amount. I won't ever be joining the 6 day a week single sport train

That sounds miserable for parents and child.

Certain girls are not athletes. They have been able to pretend playing three times a week in half ass practices and playing 30 percent. Now they can't. It's showing and I believe this year will be a BIG TIME shift. People who want to play high level will be ok. People who prefer more of a balance or multi sport may do ECNL.

Depends upon her age:

4-8 years old: 1.5 hours twice a week
9-11 years old: 2 hours twice a week plus another hour of privates once a week
12-13 years old: 2-2.5 hours 3 times a week plus another hour of privates once a week for about 2/3 of the year
14-17 years old: 2-2.5 hours 3 times a week plus another hour of conditioning and an hour of privates once a week for about 2/3 of the year
18+ GAP pack (YNT and college) once club was over and in between camps. In season training about 2 days a week plus 20-25 games. Just walk through 2 days a week. 1 full recovery day. Offseason training about 3 days a week plus weight training during the winter, 2-3 days of training plus weights and 6 spring games. Summer 4 days a week plus WPSL games and weights.

Does that answer your question?
Yep, thx, not much of a choice when they get into their college years.

Agree. I am talking about an 04 here though. Perhaps it's my professional bias but I won't allow mine to train or lift over a certain amount. I won't ever be joining the 6 day a week single sport train

Not to mention, middle and high school girls should also have a life outside of soccer

I agree there is a big difference between middle school and college which is why I put ages. My player never lifted weights in middle school and barely did in high school. In college it is huge. Also in college they only train twice a week in season then they have 2 games.

I agree, overtraining that leads to injury would be practicing and playing to much. Where as injury prevention targeting muscle imbalances through weight training and plyometrics isn't. Example: ACL prevention
I "think" part of the DA program is to do training periodization. And 4 days a week of practice is not necessarily 4 days of training. 2 of those days may be weights, film, recovery.

I agree there is a big difference between middle school and college which is why I put ages. My player never lifted weights in middle school and barely did in high school. In college it is huge. Also in college they only train twice a week in season then they have 2 games.

Games take a lot out of them if they are giving it 100%. I think coaches should cut down on the 3-4 day a week training during league when they are playing one or two games a weekend. I've seen a lot of bad overuse injuries this past year in 6th and 7th grade girls.

Back