Game fixing

The truth is right there for everyone to see, if USYS would stop hiding the evidence.

The USYS was not ok with what happened, and is embarrassed by it. Evidence - they hid the video, and fined/suspended the teams/coaches involved.

Dude - we saw the 'evidence' - it is still all over the internet other than the part where they were 'playing'. Just move on with your life. Carlsbad won the championship. Life will move on.

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that what occurred is allowed, and given the standings and scenarios isn't even unethical because it didn't change any outcome. There is no law of the game that dictates a level of effort - or appearance of effort. And when asked, tournament and USYS officials and refs all said it was OK. The Carlsbad coach, at least, was willing to change the game play if the officials requested when asked. I just hope everyone realizes that this whole thing is about optics and appearances and in the context of the false narrative that was originally reported and that came from a club that performed poorly, it made it into a story that, in reality, was never worthy of a second thought.

The worst part about this whole spectacle is perfectly summed up in your response. Fair play means nothing. Sportsmanship means nothing. Winning is everything.

Bottom line is everyone should have owned up to it, said it was a bad idea, and apologized. You are just making your club look worse and worse.

If the tournament organizers and authorities allowed this to happen, why is this still being discussed? Take it up with them to change the rules going forward...

Dude - we saw the 'evidence' - it is still all over the internet other than the part where they were 'playing'. Just move on with your life. Carlsbad won the championship. Life will move on.
Carlsbad U18 was a finalist. Carlsbad U16 won the championship. You are correct about life moving on.

The truth is right there for everyone to see, if USYS would stop hiding the evidence.

The USYS was not ok with what happened, and is embarrassed by it. Evidence - they hid the video, and fined/suspended the teams/coaches involved.
What would you do?
What would be your justification for doing it?

The USYS reps at the field were OK with it and told the coaches they didn't need to change the manner in which the game was being played. If you have an issue with that, funnel your angst at the USYS, not the Carlsbad team that did nothing wrong and rightfully earned their place in the semi finals while denying nobody anything.

Yes, the story that came out afterwards was embarrassing to the rest of the USYS board that was not present at the game, so they responded to the media attention as they did. Their finding of no collusion is the key. Their final statement that they will look into rule changes to prevent this from happening will be interesting to see and even more interesting to see how it's enforced and when. A "perceived effort" rule will present all kinds of challenges, don't you think?

Regardless of appearances, Carlsbad did nothing wrong here and rightfully moved on to the semi finals.

The USYS reps at the field were OK with it and told the coaches they didn't need to change the manner in which the game was being played. If you have an issue with that, funnel your angst at the USYS, not the Carlsbad team that did nothing wrong and rightfully earned their place in the semi finals while denying nobody anything.

Yes, the story that came out afterwards was embarrassing to the rest of the USYS board that was not present at the game, so they responded to the media attention as they did. Their finding of no collusion is the key. Their final statement that they will look into rule changes to prevent this from happening will be interesting to see and even more interesting to see how it's enforced and when. A "perceived effort" rule will present all kinds of challenges, don't you think?

Regardless of appearances, Carlsbad did nothing wrong here and rightfully moved on to the semi finals.

You are missing the point. Again.

Both teams conspired to take an opportunity to advance away from another team by failing to play the game. If that isn't match fixing, I don't know what is.

You think it's fine and no big deal. Great. I disagree, and I would have pulled my kid from the team after the game.

I don't understand your question.
You don't like what happened. So if you were the person in charge of USAYS what would you do?
Fine, kick coaches out, DQ both teams after the fact? It is obvious you don't like it. What should be done?

And justify it on other than the coach is scum. What would be the grounds you would present to USAYS?

I hope you believe by now there was not any law violation there. So your grounds would have to be under other than some law or rule breaking.
What would it be?

You are missing the point. Again.

Both teams conspired to take an opportunity to advance away from another team by failing to play the game. If that isn't match fixing, I don't know what is.

You think it's fine and no big deal. Great. I disagree, and I would have pulled my kid from the team after the game.

Wow, you don't get it. YOU are missing the point. Conspiracy means they planned it out and agreed to do it together = FALSE. I have heard what their instructions were before the game and at halftime.

You say an opportunity for another team to advance was taken away = FALSE. Just because there is still a mathematical chance does not mean it's really a chance. 4 goals. FOUR! Carlsbad had to win by FOUR for the other team to go.

I have nothing more to say to you if you're still hung up on these most fundamental untruths. Good luck to you and your player in ECNL. Oh, pretty classy quote from one of your earlier posts: "People still call it a "National Championship" when all the top teams are in ECNL?" You're pretty transparent with that huge ECNL banner. And you talk about respect when you spew that kind of disrespect? You'd fit right in with SDA if you move to Syracuse, screaming about disrespecting the game while swearing at kids.

The worst sideline soccer parent I have ever seen was the parent of a Syracuse goal keeper. We were playing against them in the 2013 National League in NC. He was literally cussing at his daughter from the sideline, saying things like "God Dammit!, get your body behind the ball!" and "What the hell!". She was visibly stressed. It was all I could do to not tell him to STFU and I still wonder if I should have done something. Is it something in the water?

People still call it a "National Championship" when all the top teams are in ECNL?
I got that too when DD made it to the finals in G19 and held a clean sheet through the full 90. There was not a G19 ECNL team in the Nation that could come close to beating them, or even making it to the finals.

The memories. Skip the beginning ND part as there was nothing there those games except warm up shots. Nationals starts at 1:01. Our forward Cody #13 also scored the winning goal for the UCLA College Cup 5 months later. Cody had never been on an ECNL team.

Last edited:
I don't even know who he is. I've officiated and seen combined over 1,000 games I see stuff like this and find it interesting. And I was surprised by the accusations of a sports media reporter. There may have been an act that was wrong, I just didn't see evidence for it. Certainly not from a laws of the game perspective.

I'm pretty sure every team playing olders at Nationals has some forward that knows how to sell a call, and get some refs to make a call that they would not otherwise have made. And everyone on that team benefits. So those against it, just should not play at that level. For me - I see soccer as a competition. Competitors are supposed to win. If they can win not breaking rules, not hurting someone physically or mentally - they should be creative. I do not see the value in bringing arguments into the game that make touching a ball with a hand, or not kicking it somehow a reflection of character. Kids play by the laws - the referee decides. And the rules - the tournament people decide. And win - not at all costs. At the cost of training more, getting on a better team and being smart about it. If you live in SoCal you have choices - and it may cost time and money where you drive.

Likely for another thread... I don't think my win attitude is an issue at all. It is in fact the point of sport. Once you win you get to keep playing someone better until you loose. That is how it goes.
What I think is wrong with soccer is not a win at all cost attitude. I think it is sports in college and the drive to chase a sport for money/college. I'm an advocate of taking advantage of it because it is there, but that drives this huge club industry/lottery.
Wow, you don't get it. YOU are missing the point. Conspiracy means they planned it out and agreed to do it together = FALSE. I have heard what their instructions were before the game and at halftime.

You say an opportunity for another team to advance was taken away = FALSE. Just because there is still a mathematical chance does not mean it's really a chance. 4 goals. FOUR! Carlsbad had to win by FOUR for the other team to go.

I have nothing more to say to you if you're still hung up on these most fundamental untruths. Good luck to you and your player in ECNL. Oh, pretty classy quote from one of your earlier posts: "People still call it a "National Championship" when all the top teams are in ECNL?" You're pretty transparent with that huge ECNL banner. And you talk about respect when you spew that kind of disrespect? You'd fit right in with SDA if you move to Syracuse, screaming about disrespecting the game while swearing at kids.

You heard the instructions before the game and at halftime? I have been to hundreds of games and never heard the coaches instructions. Were you in the huddle with the girls? BS, these coaches don't let the parents hear anything; I know that first hand.

You heard the instructions before the game and at halftime? I have been to hundreds of games and never heard the coaches instructions. Were you in the huddle with the girls? BS, these coaches don't let the parents hear anything; I know that first hand.
Why did you quote me?

No, from my daughter. Who was just a guest here, and very young, so certainly no reason to not tell me the truth. As a parent also trying to figure out how the game played out that way, I simply asked her.

I was not there so I do not know what really happened. The sad part about all of this is that now people who have heard this story and know nothing of LAGSD will have a negative view of all LAGSD teams and the club. There are some really good coaches and nice people at that club and a lot of players that work their tails off. It is a shame that it not only tarnished the accomplishments of the U18 team, but the U16 team had to put up with the abuse also.

The worst sideline soccer parent I have ever seen was the parent of a Syracuse goal keeper. We were playing against them in the 2013 National League in NC. He was literally cussing at his daughter from the sideline, saying things like "God Dammit!, get your body behind the ball!" and "What the hell!". She was visibly stressed. It was all I could do to not tell him to STFU and I still wonder if I should have done something. Is it something in the water?

He is lucky I was not his referee. That type of language toward a player would not be tolerated on a field that I was the referee. I would have a talk with the coach and politely ask the coach to handle the spectator since the coach is responsible for his spectators. If the coach did not handle it I would remind him that I do not remove spectators but I do remove coaches. I used this at Albion Cup just a few weeks ago and the coach sent the parent about 100 yards away from the field. No youth player should be subjected to degrading comments especially by their own parent.

Last edited:
Back