Game fixing

Here's the problem with Duggan's statement. He said they were "Playing a low pressure style" when that is not what they did. I guess they are banking on that video never being released, because if it is they will be forced to come up with yet another story. They played a "zero pressure style" that looked very similar to not playing at all.

Also clearly not true is the statement that "there was no collusion between the teams". Also, if the video is ever released, this will blow up in their faces as well. I've watched tons of games in which there is nothing to play for, and guess what? They actually played. What happened last week was not that.

This is not a case where there was nothing to play for. Both teams benefited from a tie.

Here's the problem with Duggan's statement. He said they were "Playing a low pressure style" when that is not what they did. I guess they are banking on that video never being released, because if it is they will be forced to come up with yet another story. They played a "zero pressure style" that looked very similar to not playing at all.

Also clearly not true is the statement that "there was no collusion between the teams". Also, if the video is ever released, this will blow up in their faces as well. I've watched tons of games in which there is nothing to play for, and guess what? They actually played. What happened last week was not that.

Were there shots on goal at the beginning of the game?

No horse in this race and I can see both sides of the coin here.
1. Playing like this is lame.
2. Coach is playing to win a championship. Do what you think is best.

Does anyone know how these teams typically distribute playing time? Are there players who don't get many minutes? Why not trot them out there to let them show off to some college scouts that might be in attendance.

This is true. One or both coaches requested the crew to stop filming at halftime, which was refused.

You are forcing a false narrative as being true. No coach or team official from either team approached the film crew at halftime. That is just absolutely not true. You don't think that me and the other parents there were carefully taking in all of the details and interactions that were taking place at this game once it became abnormal? You were not there, I was. I saw and heard what occurred and was within 10 feet of the film crew the whole time. What you insist happened, did not. If it had, I would have seen it and heard it. The only team officials that approached the film crew were those assholes from Syracuse demanding that they send the video to USYS, to which the film crew responded, "We are hired by USYS. It's their film."

Besides, what would they care? They weren't hiding anything. USYS officials - many of them - were at the game watching it. In another post you keep saying if the film comes out it's going to blow up in their face. Get real. Just because the video isn't available on line, it still exists and is owned by USYS. You don't think that was reviewed before they rendered their finding that there was no evidence of collusion or match fixing?

Again, "truth" you should really stop telling lies or at least consider a name change.

I showed my wife the video. She said - "Wow - that's bad". I asked what she would think about the character of her daughter if she did that. I got a weird look. "I hope she wouldn't play like that." she said. Then added, it was about winning Nationals anyway. So at least I married into like thought.

...Why not trot them out there to let them show off to some college scouts that might be in attendance.
I expect they are committed.
I expect some of their coaches were there.

I expect coaches understand winning THE Tournament, as that is how coaches get paid some bonuses...

More denial and failure to accept responsibility from LA Galaxy staff:

A statement from Carlsbad Director of Coaching Michael Duggan and U18 coach Courtney Drummond.

“Going into Thursday’s match against Ambassadors FC, our approach was to sit in and let the opponent come to us. Contrary to what has been reported, the result of the game had no impact on whether or not we would advance, so there was no tactical reason for us to go on the offensive and chase the game. Additionally, it should be noted that the only outcome that would have effected the group standings in any way at that point in time would have been a 5-0 win for our team.

“Playing a low pressure style was in our best interest looking ahead to the semi-final to help preserve our players physically for the next match, having already played two 90 minute games in the extreme heat. Given that the opponent simply had to get out of the game without losing 5-0, they also clearly took a more conservative tactical approach to ensure their place in the next round.

“We understand that the way this game played out was not typical of the level of play one would expect to see in a competitive environment, however it demonstrates two teams, both taking a conservative approach to the game to protect their advantage and there was no collusion between the teams. Both teams performed well in their previous matches, and as a result, were both afforded a position where we could advance to the semis without having to take significant risks in the final bracket game.

“Our ultimate goal in coming to this tournament has always been to win a National Championship. We are no stranger to this tournament having qualified to compete in the National Championships the past four consecutive years, which is a testament to the quality of our players, coaches and organization. It’s unfortunate that the integrity of our team has been called into question. We are honored to have earned a place in the semi-finals after winning our bracket and we look forward to competing in that game this weekend.”

The only inaccuracy in the statement is that the only outcome that would have changed anything would be a 5 goal win for Carlsbad. In fact a 4 goal win by Carlsbad would have. It doesn't change the fact that a 4 goal win for Carlsbad was never in the cards as the game had no impact to them whatsoever. If Ambassadors felt the need to improve their position and seeding, it was up to them to bring the game to Carlsbad. They didn't and showed they were also satisfied with their seeding.

This is true. One or both coaches requested the crew to stop filming at halftime, which was refused.

Careful, your lies are showing. Previously you said, "I also heard that both coaches approached the film crew and told them to stop filming at halftime..." So, in your earlier post you admit that you simply "heard" this, and that it was "both coaches." Now your story is changing as you assert it as first hand actual knowledge when all it really is is heresay that I have first hand knowledge to refute. And your story is so unsure that it went from "both coaches" to "one or both coaches." You, sir, are not even certain of the elements of the inaccurate story you've been told by someone.

I'm trying to figure out your obvious animosity towards Carlsbad. My guess is that you're a jilted ECNL mouthpiece that's had the pleasure of beating the drum of "best clubs in the country" for so long until the DA puts ECNL in the position of 2nd fiddle. So you're potentially with am ECNL club that didn't get DA, so you can't even migrate to support DA. Let it go, man. There are talented teams and players in all leagues and associations. And college coaches will find these kids no matter where they are. Your disdain for Carlsbad is duly noted, but try to stay true to your moniker and stick to that which is true, m'kay?

Besides, what would they care? They weren't hiding anything. USYS officials - many of them - were at the game watching it. In another post you keep saying if the film comes out it's going to blow up in their face. Get real. Just because the video isn't available on line, it still exists and is owned by USYS. You don't think that was reviewed before they rendered their finding that there was no evidence of collusion or match fixing?

Again, "truth" you should really stop telling lies or at least consider a name change.

If there is nothing to hide and everything is above board, why have they hidden the video? Why have they denied every media request to use all or a portion of the video? Why did they hide the livestream link during the 2nd half?

You better hope they never release that video, because it will make you look foolish with everything you've said in this thread.

ESPN picked up the story, for Pete's sake, and you are still in here maintaining that your club did nothing wrong? Shameful.

If there is nothing to hide and everything is above board, why have they hidden the video? Why have they denied every media request to use all or a portion of the video? Why did they hide the livestream link during the 2nd half?

You better hope they never release that video, because it will make you look foolish with everything you've said in this thread.

ESPN picked up the story, for Pete's sake, and you are still in here maintaining that your club did nothing wrong? Shameful.

You are an absolute joke. If you have questions about the video, ask USYS and blame them. They control it, not either of the teams. Further, if you have problems about the manner in which the game was played, also check in with USYS because they said nothing was wrong with it as it happened. The Carlsbad coach specifically asked and asked if anything should be done differently...as it was happening. The response from USYS reps at the field was that it was ok.

Since when did ESPN become the paragon of virtue? Have you ever watched a TV news segment about a subject that you are very knowledgeable about? Were there mistakes in the coverage (there almost always are)? TV news is great at drawing attention to a subject, but they are not very good at reporting ALL of the facts. ESPN picked up the story because all TV news organizations are constantly struggling to fill air time.

The only inaccuracy in the statement is that the only outcome that would have changed anything would be a 5 goal win for Carlsbad. In fact a 4 goal win by Carlsbad would have. It doesn't change the fact that a 4 goal win for Carlsbad was never in the cards as the game had no impact to them whatsoever. If Ambassadors felt the need to improve their position and seeding, it was up to them to bring the game to Carlsbad. They didn't and showed they were also satisfied with their seeding.

ESPN misunderstood what happened and were told a different story (most likely based on the douche parents on the Syracuse team). They were told both teams had to win or tie, etc. This is factual information.

Yep, pretty much every story about aviation accidents or incidents is comically wrong and sensationalized. As a pilot, it's pretty amusing. This story is nothing but an enticing soundbyte accompanied with a compelling video and tagged with a scandalous headline to draw a response. For that, they succeeded. In telling the truth, the circumstances, the scenario...or even an accurate headline - epic fail. Even the original top drawer article has been edited and amended so many times that the story is hardly as compelling anymore, and even the story that remains isn't 100% accurate. But the damage is done. People that already read the article aren't going to read the corrections or updates, and espn, SI, Fox, and everyone else that simply used the original top drawer story aren't updating their story with the revised facts. It's hack journalism to draw a reaction.

ESPN misunderstood what happened and were told a different story (most likely based on the douche parents on the Syracuse team). They were told both teams had to win or tie, etc. This is factual information.

You are correct. The entire source of the story is from the douchebags from Syracuse. They filmed it and submitted it to TopDrawer as they threatened to do as part of their obscenity-laced sideline tirade. They submitted the story with the angle they wanted to have told, and shame on TopDrawer for not fact checking first and reporting it correctly before the damage was done. But you can't put toothpaste back in the tube once it's out. Syracuse was surely feeling to pressure from performing so poorly at Nationals, so what a brilliant scapegoat and distraction for them....they'd have made it through if only two teams hadn't conspired! They're a f-ing disgrace of a club.

I saw the video and that definitely wasn't "low pressure". You can put lipstick on a pig but that's still a pork product.

I saw the video and that definitely wasn't "low pressure". You can put lipstick on a pig but that's still a pork product.
That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that what occurred is allowed, and given the standings and scenarios isn't even unethical because it didn't change any outcome. There is no law of the game that dictates a level of effort - or appearance of effort. And when asked, tournament and USYS officials and refs all said it was OK. The Carlsbad coach, at least, was willing to change the game play if the officials requested when asked. I just hope everyone realizes that this whole thing is about optics and appearances and in the context of the false narrative that was originally reported and that came from a club that performed poorly, it made it into a story that, in reality, was never worthy of a second thought.

You are an absolute joke. If you have questions about the video, ask USYS and blame them. They control it, not either of the teams. Further, if you have problems about the manner in which the game was played, also check in with USYS because they said nothing was wrong with it as it happened. The Carlsbad coach specifically asked and asked if anything should be done differently...as it was happening. The response from USYS reps at the field was that it was ok.

The truth is right there for everyone to see, if USYS would stop hiding the evidence.

The USYS was not ok with what happened, and is embarrassed by it. Evidence - they hid the video, and fined/suspended the teams/coaches involved.

One of the saddest parts of this whole non-story and ensuing discussion is that it overshadowed the fact that the Carlsbad U16 team won the National Championships. They also won the Fair Play award for their age group.

I just hope everyone realizes that this whole thing is about optics and appearances and in the context of the false narrative that was originally reported and that came from a club that performed poorly, it made it into a story that, in reality, was never worthy of a second thought.

That's the world these days. Hawking is correct that social media and news is going to aid in our extinction.

Back