Game fixing

I have no doubt USYS took the video down once they realized what happened. I also heard that both coaches approached the film crew and told them to stop filming at halftime. The film crew refused.

There is no truth to that whatsoever. I was directly behind them. When the Syracuse douchebags came over to swear at children, the broadcast likely had issues with how to handle that. Adults screaming and swearing at children doesn't make for great TV. In fact, the assholes from syracuse were originally filming on their phones from behind the benches. They surely realized they couldn't submit that video to Top drawer as they would have been heard verbally abusing minors.

It's really a pretty transparent effort on the part of a poor club that performed like crap on the national stage. Deflect attention from their own shitty performance and try to get one or two teams disqualified in an effort to advance. I'd say if they spent as much effort and energy on their own game and trainings as they did abusing children and launching a social media campaign to deflect from their own performance, maybe in a few years they can get there on true merit.

There is no truth to that whatsoever. I was directly behind them. When the Syracuse douchebags came over to swear at children, the broadcast likely had issues with how to handle that. Adults screaming and swearing at children doesn't make for great TV. In fact, the assholes from syracuse were originally filming on their phones from behind the benches. They surely realized they couldn't submit that video to Top drawer as they would have been heard verbally abusing minors.

It's really a pretty transparent effort on the part of a poor club that performed like crap on the national stage. Deflect attention from their own shitty performance and try to get one or two teams disqualified in an effort to advance. I'd say if they spent as much effort and energy on their own game and trainings as they did abusing children and launching a social media campaign to deflect from their own performance, maybe in a few years they can get there on true merit.

You might think that someone who uses "Truth" as her posting name would have a little more respect for truth.

It was u18 right? While still "children", it's not like we're talking about 10 year olds.
Wow, are you serious? You're OK with grown men, several of them, verbally assaulting teenage girls? And not just in this game, in the two games that followed, at their hotel, and with plans to scream obscenities at them during their finalist awards ceremony until USYS caught wind of it and ejected them before they could. Also, since the Carlsbad U16s were also there and wearing the same uniforms as the 18s, they were subjected to the same treatment by Syracuse. Is U16 young enough to not be OK? How about my daughter...she is just 14 and was guesting with the 18s. Is that young enough to make it revolting?

Not ok with it at all. But when we say "adults swearing at kids" it sounds like they were swearing at elementary school kids.
Hang around a bunch of 16 year olds. The language they use would make Too Short blush.

I'm quite surprised they were not removed if that was the case. Been a while since I ref'd but that does not merit a warning.

I'm quite surprised they were not removed if that was the case. Been a while since I ref'd but that does not merit a warning.

They were, eventually, and then in each subsequent game where they were there to cheer against our girls, it became a cat and mouse game for them. They would try to discreetly spew insults and slurs at our girls until a game or tournament official was notified, and then they were either ejected or the official stood near them and ensured they shut up and only cheered for our opponents. There are no officials in the hotels, in the parking lots before and after games, nor on social media, and these are the places where their verbal barrages were the worst.

Last edited:
I know this was nationals. But if it continues, the game is suspended. Oh how I'd have loved to hear the ref debrief.

Next step.. Get the police.

You can find a hint of the source of everything good and bad about girls soccer in this thread if you are looking.

Some people have real problems and real dreams. Not us.

I think the 700 some odd posts in the Girls Development Academy thread is an even better (and more disturbing) microcosm of the girls competitive youth soccer world.

Remember - parents post here. Not kids. It is not really a reflection of the future at all.

Not ok with it at all. But when we say "adults swearing at kids" it sounds like they were swearing at elementary school kids.
Hang around a bunch of 16 year olds. The language they use would make Too Short blush.

As a referee I hear what our little 14-18 year old darlings say on the field and they sound worse than a drunken Sailor in an Olongopo bar. But, it should not matter what the players say on the field. These were fully grown adults with teenage children of their own, they should know how to act and behave. Glad to hear USYS banned them from games and events.

More denial and failure to accept responsibility from LA Galaxy staff:

A statement from Carlsbad Director of Coaching Michael Duggan and U18 coach Courtney Drummond.

“Going into Thursday’s match against Ambassadors FC, our approach was to sit in and let the opponent come to us. Contrary to what has been reported, the result of the game had no impact on whether or not we would advance, so there was no tactical reason for us to go on the offensive and chase the game. Additionally, it should be noted that the only outcome that would have effected the group standings in any way at that point in time would have been a 5-0 win for our team.

“Playing a low pressure style was in our best interest looking ahead to the semi-final to help preserve our players physically for the next match, having already played two 90 minute games in the extreme heat. Given that the opponent simply had to get out of the game without losing 5-0, they also clearly took a more conservative tactical approach to ensure their place in the next round.

“We understand that the way this game played out was not typical of the level of play one would expect to see in a competitive environment, however it demonstrates two teams, both taking a conservative approach to the game to protect their advantage and there was no collusion between the teams. Both teams performed well in their previous matches, and as a result, were both afforded a position where we could advance to the semis without having to take significant risks in the final bracket game.

“Our ultimate goal in coming to this tournament has always been to win a National Championship. We are no stranger to this tournament having qualified to compete in the National Championships the past four consecutive years, which is a testament to the quality of our players, coaches and organization. It’s unfortunate that the integrity of our team has been called into question. We are honored to have earned a place in the semi-finals after winning our bracket and we look forward to competing in that game this weekend.”

Here's the problem with Duggan's statement. He said they were "Playing a low pressure style" when that is not what they did. I guess they are banking on that video never being released, because if it is they will be forced to come up with yet another story. They played a "zero pressure style" that looked very similar to not playing at all.

Also clearly not true is the statement that "there was no collusion between the teams". Also, if the video is ever released, this will blow up in their faces as well. I've watched tons of games in which there is nothing to play for, and guess what? They actually played. What happened last week was not that.

Back