G04 Rankings

Ok - the new weekly G04 rankings are out. As I pour through all the tournaments and fix some mistakes and assign games to the correct teams there are a few changes to the rankings that don't have anything to do with games played last week and many changes that do have to do with last weeks games. I think I am getting a good handle on this but there are almost 300 teams - many clubs with multiple teams - many teams that have changed names etc... so bare with me.

One good sign is that the top 23 teams in the rankings are now either SCSDL Flight 1, CSL Gold or SDDA Flight 1.

http://coachingKidsSoccer.blogspot.com/

Tango

Big props for taking the time to put this all together! I have only 1 question on how your system comes up with my favorite team the Rangers as #12 and Sharks at #3?

Those 2 teams have the worst strength of schedule of anyone in the top 20.

Rangers got boat raced by Slammers Pre ECNL who also won Surf Cup and are below them.

Rangers didn't play in Surf Cup or in any tier 1 brackets of the 2 they played in. Not sure about the Sharks either. It seems teams are being rewarded for not playing or playing down.

I know this all for entertainment purposes but everyone knows I love my Rangers!

Keep up the great work

So let's put the spotlight on a team that may be a bit of a surprise near the top of the rankings,DMCV Sharks Toumi. In doing this I noticed I missed their final win over Rebels Gold 2-1 in the Rebels Cup. This shouldn't effect their ranking and the score will be added in for next weeks rankings. Only games vs other Cal South teams are counted.

Team: DMCV Sharks Toumi
Rank #3
Rating: 8.03
Record 8-0-1
GF:GA 32:1

6/11 Rebels Cup - Win 4-0 vs LA Galaxy SD Premier Eckerlin(5.07)
6/11 Rebels Cup - Win 1-0 vs Matrix Elite Trujillo (3.51)
6/12 Rebels Cup - Win 2-1 vs Rebels Gold (6.77)
6/12 Rebels Cup - Win 2-1 vs Rebels Gold (6.77)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7/23 Copa Del Mar - Win 10-0 vs PYSL Blast SC - Evenson(1.94)
7/23 Copa Del Mar - Win 8-0 vs Encinitas Express Full (0.79)
7/24 Copa Del Mar - Win 5-0 vs Matrix Elite Trujillo (3.51)
7/24 Copa Del Mar - Win 1-0 vs Albion Premier (5.57)
7/24 Copa Del Mar - Win 1-0 vs Notts Forest Red (6.46)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/7 SD Surf Cup - Tie 0-0 vs West Coast FC Pre-ECNL Swanson (7.56)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So their record is 9-0-1 and they have only allowed two goals, both in wins against a tough Rebels Gold team. They have played a couple of weak teams in PYSL Blast and Express Full but pounded both of them. Their worst game was the 1-0 over Matrix Elite in the Rebels Cup but they had very good wins over LA Galaxy SD Premier and Rebels Gold (twice) and a tie against a tough West Coast team, plus the 1-0 win over Notts Forest Red to win the Copa Del Mar.

I think we can all agree that they are not the #3 team - but based on summer results they have earned a top ranking.

Biggest flaw in your ranking system is you only count games against Socal teams. Most of the big Tournys had very good Nocal or out of state teams.

Next on the docket, let's look at the body of work from Fullerton Rangers White this summer.

Team: Fullerton Rangers White
Rating: 6.93
Strength of Schedule Rank: #60
Record: 7-1-3
GF:GA 37:10

5/21 Legends Classic - Win 5-0 vs IE Surf MB/SB West (5.38)
5/21 Legends Classic - Win 6-0 vs DMCV Sharks Borowinski(1.46)
5/22 Legends Classic - Tie 1-1 vs Westside Breakers White (5.17)
5/22 Legends Classic - Win 3-0 vs Beach FC - Long Beach Nunes (5.48)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7/23 Cerritos Premier Cup - Tie 1-1 vs Legacy FC Diamond Bar (5.26)
7/23 Cerritos Premier Cup - Win 10-0 vs Inland United Manchester United (-0.31)
7/24 Cerritos Premier Cup - Win 5-0 vs BYSC Corona United White (2.11)
7/24 Cerritos Premier Cup - Win 1-0 vs Legacy FC Diamond Bar (5.26)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/13 West Coast Classic - Win 3-1 vs Real SoCal White (6.32)
8/13 West Coast Classic - Tie 2-2 vs Pateadores Irvine (6.38)
8/13 West Coast Classic - Loss 5-0 vs Slammers FC Pre ECNL Winn(6.64)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the complaint with Rangers White is that they have been playing an easy schedule. Their schedule strength is ranked #60 so that is a valid point. What they have done though is crushed those teams (IUMU, Corona White, Sharks Borowinski) to avoid having their rating dragged down by playing those weak teams. They did manage to play three tough teams in the West Coast Classic beating Real SoCal White a flight one team and tying Pateadores Irvine also a flight one team. Their big bump in the road was obviously the crushing loss against Slammers/Winn which helped drop them from #3 to #12 in the rankings. Obviously, we will need to see the Rangers-White in action against a few more top 25 teams before we really know where they fit. But they've done pretty well so far minus with one blip and a few weak opponents.

Biggest flaw in your ranking system is you only count games against Socal teams. Most of the big Tournys had very good Nocal or out of state teams.

It is not a very big flaw. You always want to include more games and have bigger sample sizes, but once you include NoCal teams then you have to include all NoCal teams to make it accurate and then where do you draw the line? Hawaii teams, Arizona teams, Nevada teams, Texas teams etc...
I am just trying to rank CAS G04 teams. This does a good job of doing so than any other system out there. :) Oh wait, there isn't any.

Next on the docket, let's look at the body of work from Fullerton Rangers White this summer.

Team: Fullerton Rangers White
Rating: 6.93
Strength of Schedule Rank: #60
Record: 7-1-3
GF:GA 37:10

5/21 Legends Classic - Win 5-0 vs IE Surf MB/SB West (5.38)
5/21 Legends Classic - Win 6-0 vs DMCV Sharks Borowinski(1.46)
5/22 Legends Classic - Tie 1-1 vs Westside Breakers White (5.17)
5/22 Legends Classic - Win 3-0 vs Beach FC - Long Beach Nunes (5.48)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7/23 Cerritos Premier Cup - Tie 1-1 vs Legacy FC Diamond Bar (5.26)
7/23 Cerritos Premier Cup - Win 10-0 vs Inland United Manchester United (-0.31)
7/24 Cerritos Premier Cup - Win 5-0 vs BYSC Corona United White (2.11)
7/24 Cerritos Premier Cup - Win 1-0 vs Legacy FC Diamond Bar (5.26)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/13 West Coast Classic - Win 3-1 vs Real SoCal White (6.32)
8/13 West Coast Classic - Tie 2-2 vs Pateadores Irvine (6.38)
8/13 West Coast Classic - Loss 5-0 vs Slammers FC Pre ECNL Winn(6.64)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the complaint with Rangers White is that they have been playing an easy schedule. Their schedule strength is ranked #60 so that is a valid point. What they have done though is crushed those teams (IUMU, Corona White, Sharks Borowinski) to avoid having their rating dragged down by playing those weak teams. They did manage to play three tough teams in the West Coast Classic beating Real SoCal White a flight one team and tying Pateadores Irvine also a flight one team. Their big bump in the road was obviously the crushing loss against Slammers/Winn which helped drop them from #3 to #12 in the rankings. Obviously, we will need to see the Rangers-White in action against a few more top 25 teams before we really know where they fit. But they've done pretty well so far minus with one blip and a few weak opponents.

I dated a few 5's and 6's in college before I married my 10 but that still didn't make me an Abercrombie model.

I guess the key is similar to college football is to schedule cupcakes and pound the crap out of them to make you feel like a top 10 team instead of playing top 10 teams.

Just saying

LAGSD Elite is the top team. (Not Premier). Elite beat Sharks 2-0 in CRL play ins in a game that meant nothing in terms of advancement. LAGSD had already qualified. Sharks did not make the league.
Not a bad squad but certainly not top 10 material.

I think it's sad that whatever happened between you and JO was enough to make a grown adult feel the need to constantly publicly bash a group of 12 year olds who have never done anything to you and who are just working on continuing to develop their soccer skills. I can't imaging what would make someone so upset but I do hope that at some point you can let go of the hatred or at least stop directing it at kids who had nothing to do with it. JO isn't even part of the organization anymore and hasn't been for a while. So whatever it was must have been really impactful to you and your daughter. Hoping at least she has moved on.

Completely agree. These rankings have serious flaws. The 3rd ranked team couldn't qualify for CRL, finished dead last in their group in Surf Cup (flight 2 mind you), and was beat by LAGSD. The 4th ranked team finished last in their bracket in Surf Cup, didn't score 1 goal in the entire tournament (180 minutes without a goal), and was also beat by LAGSD. Not very accurate... West coast at #6 is quite funny as well.

Completely agree. These rankings have serious flaws. The 3rd ranked team couldn't qualify for CRL, finished dead last in their group in Surf Cup (flight 2 mind you), and was beat by LAGSD. The 4th ranked team finished last in their bracket in Surf Cup, didn't score 1 goal in the entire tournament (180 minutes without a goal), and was also beat by LAGSD. Not very accurate... West coast at #6 is quite funny as well.
So does that mean your gonna pick up the torch and carry it??

I think it's sad that whatever happened between you and JO was enough to make a grown adult feel the need to constantly publicly bash a group of 12 year olds who have never done anything to you and who are just working on continuing to develop their soccer skills. I can't imaging what would make someone so upset but I do hope that at some point you can let go of the hatred or at least stop directing it at kids who had nothing to do with it. JO isn't even part of the organization anymore and hasn't been for a while. So whatever it was must have been really impactful to you and your daughter. Hoping at least she has moved on.

Just the response I expected from you Tomnchar. Trying to make it look like I'm going after the kids My beef is with the Rangers organization and the JO cronies and parents that are still there and stupid comments like yours. Your parents walk around and act like they are the bomb. But when you lose you have more excuses why. That's what happen when you play tier 3 and bronze teams in tournaments and scrimmages and act all surprised when you guys get whacked by tier 1 competition. I would rather play the best of best and lose and learn then beat up tomato cans and go around bragging we are the best or put sayings like "more than a club"on our So Cal Blues knock off jerseys. My dd stopped playing soccer because of the Rangers experience and now all I get to do is watch my son play and frankly the boys forum isn't any fun. If you don't like what I post don't respond.
Good luck this season hopefully you guys step it up. I think I will start a weekly Rangers recap once the season starts, look for it on a forum near you.

Peace out

Just the response I expected from you Tomnchar. Trying to make it look like I'm going after the kids My beef is with the Rangers organization and the JO cronies and parents that are still there and stupid comments like yours. Your parents walk around and act like they are the bomb. But when you lose you have more excuses why. That's what happen when you play tier 3 and bronze teams in tournaments and scrimmages and act all surprised when you guys get whacked by tier 1 competition. I would rather play the best of best and lose and learn then beat up tomato cans and go around bragging we are the best or put sayings like "more than a club"on our So Cal Blues knock off jerseys. My dd stopped playing soccer because of the Rangers experience and now all I get to do is watch my son play and frankly the boys forum isn't any fun. If you don't like what I post don't respond.
Good luck this season hopefully you guys step it up. I think I will start a weekly Rangers recap once the season starts, look for it on a forum near you.

Peace out
I don't recall anyone from our team posting that we were the bomb or trying to make excuses for our play. However you seem to feel the need to stalk what tournaments we are playing in and how we are doing. Tango isn't a Ranger parent and just put out a general ranking trying to be objective about performance from 200 teams and you seem to feel the need to continue to target our girls team, who had nothing to do with whatever happened with you and JO or the organization. All of your statements have been derogatory about how our girls play, so I'd say that is pretty much going after our girls. If your beef is with JO then go after JO, who is no longer with the Rangers. Don't go after the parents and players who chose to stay with an amazing coach who is teaching our girls a lot.

I don't recall anyone from our team posting that we were the bomb or trying to make excuses for our play. However you seem to feel the need to stalk what tournaments we are playing in and how we are doing. Tango isn't a Ranger parent and just put out a general ranking trying to be objective about performance from 200 teams and you seem to feel the need to continue to target our girls team, who had nothing to do with whatever happened with you and JO or the organization. All of your statements have been derogatory about how our girls play, so I'd say that is pretty much going after our girls. If your beef is with JO then go after JO, who is no longer with the Rangers. Don't go after the parents and players who chose to stay with an amazing coach who is teaching our girls a lot.

Do you remember your parent who posted how embarrassed they were to take the medal you stole from those Signature teams in the Cerritos Cup? As far as stalking your tournaments unfortunately I don't attend those lower level ones you play in. I did get to watch your meltdown at West Coast. Your parents don't have to post the excuses they make it very clear on the sidelines. As far derogatory comments on the play performance I blame your coach. It's never been about the girls, it's always about the parents, coaches and organization. Like I said if you don't like or agree with me don't respond.

I love how you put down other teams so you can bash ours. Not a first for you. Our coach is a phenomenal coach and our girls continue to grow under him. And yes, our girls did meltdown in their final game. They didn't bring it that day. And that's ok. That is what happens when you are 12. It will make them stronger. I just find it amusing and sad that because of something that happened between you and another adult (JO) some time ago, you now months or maybe even years later feel the need to track our teams performance. Enjoy... It'll be fun to read your commentary.

Back