G04 Rankings

Good on you to put all this work in to create a ranking system. Ignore the ungrateful bastards who are so quick to criticize. No ranking system is perfect.

So I guess my concern is yes Tango city great effort and even better intention.
The result is garbage though. Garbage in and garbage out.
No one is actually taking this mess seriously? I mean we can't be right? Toumi? No.
Please tell me we aren't that far gone.

I'm taking all these ratings seriously. Great for figuring out Vegas odds. Looking forward to betting on this weekends games. J.K.

I like being able to easily search for teams we have played or are going to play and get a general feeling how things are going. Besides my daughters team in 2005 I have friends with many parents that have 2004 kids, so nice to keep an eye on their team. Really no different then the BCS. :)

Anyone know anything about Sereno 2004 Chelsea White from Arizona? They are the only team that I am refereeing at Blues that I cannot find any information on.

Updated rankings (as of 9/5) for CAS G04 teams.

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/2016/09/cas-g04-youth-soccer-rankings-6.html

Sharks Toumi begin their downward fall? Or maybe not.

Biggest drops in the Top 100 are:
Hotspurs Premier (dropped from 56 to 77).
Soccer Life Academy (dropped from 40 to 55).
Simi Valley Eclipse (dropped from 50 to 62).
Encinitas Express Premier Gutierrez (dropped from 70 to 79).

I will continue updating this on a weekly basis with fall league games to the best of my ability.

Enjoy!

Updated rankings (as of 9/5) for CAS G04 teams.

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/2016/09/cas-g04-youth-soccer-rankings-6.html

Sharks Toumi begin their downward fall? Or maybe not.

Biggest drops in the Top 100 are:
Hotspurs Premier (dropped from 56 to 77).
Soccer Life Academy (dropped from 40 to 55).
Simi Valley Eclipse (dropped from 50 to 62).
Encinitas Express Premier Gutierrez (dropped from 70 to 79).

I will continue updating this on a weekly basis with fall league games to the best of my ability.

Enjoy!
I know this is for entertainment purposes only and it doesnt capture games or teams outside of So Cal but not quite sure how a team like Anaheim Surf with a record of 3 Wins and 9 losses doesnt play over the weekend and moves up 7 spots?? One of the biggest jumps by the way.

Does it pay to play or not not?

Like the effort every week Tango but it doesnt make a whole lot of sense sometimes

I know this is for entertainment purposes only and it doesnt capture games or teams outside of So Cal but not quite sure how a team like Anaheim Surf with a record of 3 Wins and 9 losses doesnt play over the weekend and moves up 7 spots?? One of the biggest jumps by the way.

Like the effort every week Tango but it doesnt make a whole lot of sense sometimes

This explanation got left off of the post by mistake.

Rankings for the teams that have a higher sample size are starting to get stable. Teams move up in the rankings by beating a team by more than predicted (by Solver) or losing by less than expected. Teams with smaller sample sizes of games can also move up or down based off of the strength of schedule of teams they have played in the past improving.

So basically it is a combination of math and sample size. Well - - - Just math.

Can't speak for how the algorithm is set up, but SoS seems to be a nicely weighted factor. We have played some of the best teams in so cal in every tournament and have a very high SoS value. Even though we have lost, it helps to play the best competition.

I can see how as teams we have played win and move up, our SoS can rise and bring us up as well.

It's just like the BCS, the computer(Excel) is crunching the numbers. OR, you could just go off "GotSoccer" rankings.

Teams with smaller sample sizes of games can also move up or down based off of the strength of schedule of teams they have played in the past improving.

So basically it is a combination of math and sample size. Well - - - Just math.

Looks like you answered it as I was typing. Just as I expected. The success of the teams you have played (and even lost to) can help a teams ranking almost as much as a win itself in some cases.

Looks like you answered it as I was typing. Just as I expected. The success of the teams you have played (and even lost to) can help a teams ranking almost as much as a win itself in some cases.

Yes - and more so when a team has a smaller sample size of games. And to the other poster - GotSoccer rankings kind of suck. Especially right now since they are including games from the fall of 2015. Just play a lot of GotSoccer tournaments like the Nevada teams seem to do and bump that ranking way up.

Yes - and more so when a team has a smaller sample size of games. And to the other poster - GotSoccer rankings kind of suck. Especially right now since they are including games from the fall of 2015. Just play a lot of GotSoccer tournaments like the Nevada teams seem to do and bump that ranking way up.
True. My kid's team is ranked WAY too high (top 25) based on a single tournament result on GotSoccer. These rankings are way more in line with where they really seem to stand today.

Updated CAS G04 Rankings.

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/2016/09/cas-g04-youth-soccer-rankings-7.html

The top three (Surf, Slammers-Macias, Arsenal) remain the same with some slight shuffling after that. Biggest mover in the Top 25 was Slammers HB Elite Gimenez who had a big 5-0 win over Slammers-Aviles and a 2-0 win over Anaheim Surf. Slammers-Macias did close the gap significantly between them and SD Surf with their 3-1 head to head win at the SCSDL Showcase. A few scores were left unreported, I don't have any results from SoCal Blues-Dido this weekend.

Top 5 strength of schedules (SoS) belong to Beach-Arrache, Blues-Dido, SD Surf, Slammers-Macias and LA Galaxy SD Elite.

To the joy of many on this board, Sharks-Toumi did drop out of the Top 10 to #11. They did manage a 2-2 against Rebels.

Updated CAS G04 Rankings.

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/2016/09/cas-g04-youth-soccer-rankings-7.html

The top three (Surf, Slammers-Macias, Arsenal) remain the same with some slight shuffling after that. Biggest mover in the Top 25 was Slammers HB Elite Gimenez who had a big 5-0 win over Slammers-Aviles and a 2-0 win over Anaheim Surf. Slammers-Macias did close the gap significantly between them and SD Surf with their 3-1 head to head win at the SCSDL Showcase. A few scores were left unreported, I don't have any results from SoCal Blues-Dido this weekend.

Top 5 strength of schedules (SoS) belong to Beach-Arrache, Blues-Dido, SD Surf, Slammers-Macias and LA Galaxy SD Elite.

To the joy of many on this board, Sharks-Toumi did drop out of the Top 10 to #11. They did manage a 2-2 against Rebels.

SOS will significantly drop for those not playing in SCDSL. Not much any of those CSL & SDDA teams can do about that.

SOS will significantly drop for those not playing in SCDSL. Not much any of those CSL & SDDA teams can do about that.
Not necessarily when you consider how SCDSL has three tier 1's rather than 1. Didn't copy well from spread sheet but the numbers after the last team, for example Slammers Huie are as follows:

East Ranking Average, Top 10 teams, Top 15, Top 20

When looked at that way they are all pretty even with the exception of SDDA.

Also CSL has two play each team twice, so take Rangers they have to play six games vs top 12 ranked teams. SCDSL doesn't have to play each top team twice, they do have showcase where the toughest teams usually play each other, though CSL has League Cup where they can match up vs top teams again.

Next year CSL and SCDSL will lose almost all their top teams to DA and ECNL.

G2004 Flight 1
East Ranking Average Top 10 Top 15 Top 20
Anaheim Surf Soccer Club G2004 Vasquez 41
Arsenal - San Diego EGSL 04 Elite - E. Ocampo 23
Arsenal FC G04 Pre ECNL 1 3
Legends FC - East Riverside G04 FC 18
Legends FC - South G04 FC 44
Legends FC G04 FC 19
Murrieta Surf G04 White 42
CDA Slammers FC - Tustin G04 EGSL Aviles 65
CDA Slammers FC - Yorba Linda G04 EGSL Huie 27 31.3 1 1 3
North
Beach FC - South Bay G04 Gouveia 17
Beach FC G04 Arrache 7
CDA Slammers FC - Cerritos G04 Macias EGSL 2
CDA Slammers FC - Cerritos G04 Segovia EGSL 31
CDA Slammers FC - HB 04 Elite EGSL 24
LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2004 Elite 14
Real So Cal - SCV G2004W - Salvadori 22
Real So Cal G04 EGSL 5
Real So Cal G04 EGSL White 20
Westside Breakers 04 White 69 21.1 3 4 4
South
Pateadores - Irvine G2004 SC* 38
San Diego Surf Academy Girls (Condliffe) 2004 13
San Diego Surf EGSL Academy 2004 1
Slammers FC G2004 EGSL 113
Slammers FC G2004 Pre ECNL 25
So Cal Blues 2004 Dido 10
So Cal Blues 2004 Kale 15
Strikers FC - OC 2004 Black 37
Strikers FC - OC 2004 Egsl 4
West Coast FC G04 Pre-ECNL 9 26.5 4 4 4

CSL Gold

LA Galaxy SD Elite 6
IE Surf Premier RB 8
Eagles 12
Fullerton Rangers White 21
CCU SoCal Academy 28
Albion SC Academy 32
Oceanside Breakers Black 33
BYSC Corona United 77 27.1 2 3 3

SDDA
DMCV Sharks Toumi 11
Rebels Gold 16
Notts Forest FC Red 30
LA Galaxy SD Premier Eckerlin 54
Matrix Elite Trujillo 94 41.0 0 1 2

Last edited:
Just a few tidbits I found from this weeks rankings.

Most wins vs teams in the Top 10
(4) SD Surf, Slammers-Macias, Arsenal, Real So Cal EGSL and Beach Arrache

Highest ranked team without a win vs a Top 10 team
West Coast (Ranked #9)

Highest ranked team without a win vs a Top 20 team
Eagles (Ranked #12)

Highest ranked team without a win vs a Top 50 team
UIFC Venom (Ranked #39)

Highest ranked team without a win vs a Top 100 team
UIFC Venom (Ranked #39)

Lowest ranked team with a win vs a Top 10 team
Rebels Gold (Ranked #16)

Lowest ranked team with a win vs a Top 20 team
BYSC Corona (Ranked #77)

Lowest ranked team with a win vs a Top 50 team
BYSC Corona (Ranked #77)

Lowest ranked team with a win vs a Top 100 team
Central CA Aztecs (unranked, out of top 200)
Poway Vaqueros Topete (unranked, out of top 200)

Back