G04 Rankings

FYI - I am working on a spreadsheet that calculates rankings based off strength of schedule and margin of victory. The excel solver macro does all the work and best fits the rankings of each team to best match past results.

I began recording scores of games from tournaments starting at the end of May and beginning of June along the CRL games. I have tried my best to exclude games played by 03 teams and from teams not from Cal South (ie - NoCal or other states).

It is not easy to do all the data entry and some tournaments do better jobs of listing the correct team names than others. So hopefully there are not too many errors. The rankings themselves tend to have some unrealistic results with small sample sizes of games played. I will post the rankings here or a link to them some time early next week after I input games from this weekend.

FYI - I am working on a spreadsheet that calculates rankings based off strength of schedule and margin of victory. The excel solver macro does all the work and best fits the rankings of each team to best match past results.

I began recording scores of games from tournaments starting at the end of May and beginning of June along the CRL games. I have tried my best to exclude games played by 03 teams and from teams not from Cal South (ie - NoCal or other states).

It is not easy to do all the data entry and some tournaments do better jobs of listing the correct team names than others. So hopefully there are not too many errors. The rankings themselves tend to have some unrealistic results with small sample sizes of games played. I will post the rankings here or a link to them some time early next week after I input games from this weekend.

First off - THANK YOU - If this works in a realistic manner, it would be incredible. Most ranking systems are full of SHIT. Understood absolutely that the more inputs the more accurate results.

BUT - more important than ALL of this is ????????????? Roll call yourself my (hopeful) friend.

Amazing work and thank you! Will be great to see how all of this shakes out.
Curious as to when you started counting games and when you finished. Looks like Man City Cup was counted towards this but not CRL play in games. Doesn't appear like this weekends games were counted either.
How do you score this when a team has played up a year in a Cal South tourney.
Once again, amazing work!!

First publication of rankings for Cal South Girls 04 teams. Keep in mind as more games are played the rankings will get better. I may change the publication format later but here is the link for now (blogger website).

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/
Very cool. Nice work Tango. Any chance the De Anza '04s can get an "honorary" Cal South membership to make your list? We've played in three tournaments for a total of 10 games in SoCal in the past 5 months - Pre-ECNL Showcase in March (3 games), Manchester City in May (3 games) and Eagles Classic in July (4 games). We'll have at least 3 more games against SoCal teams at Surf. I'm telling you, our girls' DOC must have stock in the Hyatt Hotel chain. Nothing else explains it.

Yeah - when these teams get a few matches under their belts against quality teams they will settle in to a more reasonable ranking. The fine print says the rankings will have some outliers due to small sample sizes. These rankings are 100% result based.

all spread sheets aside........ive actually watched alot of those teams play, some head to head, some with borrowed players........some missing key players. Rankings seem completely off, we shall see how it shuffles next Tuesday....

First publication of rankings for Cal South Girls 04 teams. Keep in mind as more games are played the rankings will get better. I may change the publication format later but here is the link for now (blogger website).

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/

Great endeavor. Thanks for filling the void. I have no idea what it takes to change the format or add enhancements or new features, but just a potential suggestion if it's easy to do...As a casual observer one of the things I'd always love to do on both the youth soccer rankings site and got soccer rankings site would be to click through on a team's name from the rankings page and see the opponents they played and the outcome of those games. That was always neat to do when DD would be playing a team we weren't familiar with. Not sure if there's an easy way to set something like that up with the software you're using, but if so, that would be great. Also, since it sounds like you're probably dying under the burden of manually entering scores at this point, something like that might let you leverage off the user audience for QC if they click through and see an error in one of the scores. Just a thought if easy to do...always easy to make suggestions to volunteers :)

Hey Frank. You've piqued my curiosity. What gives with your love of bashing the Rangers?
Well besides the obvious that they won the tier 2 bracket at Legends and a tier 3 tournament in FC ManU they don't deserve to be 66th.

I'm also a JO hater and how he treated my kid, so I hope that all the good players and parents find new homes and that club dies a slow death

Well besides the obvious that they won the tier 2 bracket at Legends and a tier 3 tournament in FC ManU they don't deserve to be 66th.

I'm also a JO hater and how he treated my kid, so I hope that all the good players and parents find new homes and that club dies a slow death

That's certainly succinct and to the point! I'm not familiar with the team/program although had seen some of the threads on the prior site about issues. Just helpful info for context/as a filter. Not sure the games they played and Tango pointed out that there would be anomalies early when there's not a solid base of play. At the same time, though, this program seems to make some attempts at filtering for quality of opposition (e.g., there's an 11-0-1 team that's ranked 68, a 6-2-0 team, at 123, etc.) Anyway, hopefully this year is much better experience for you and daughter. Thanks for the frankness and best of luck.

Getting there, but there must be a bug in your algorithm when it comes to the Rangers. How do move up to#3 from #6 when you are scared and don't play in Surf Cup and are begging to play scrimmages against tier 3 teams?

Otherwise I agree 99% of your rankings, great job Tango!

Well the week 3 results should be pretty interesting. Slammers Huie, where did these guys come from? Congrats on the West Coast win.

And my Rangers, what a beat down Slammers Pre ECNL put on them 5-0. They blew a 2-0 lead with 5 minutes left against Irvine Pats. If they don't fall to like 40 or 50 this could be a bigger cover up than the Hillary Clinton emails.

Well the week 3 results should be pretty interesting. Slammers Huie, where did these guys come from? Congrats on the West Coast win.

And my Rangers, what a beat down Slammers Pre ECNL put on them 5-0. They blew a 2-0 lead with 5 minutes left against Irvine Pats. If they don't fall to like 40 or 50 this could be a bigger cover up than the Hillary Clinton emails.

haha, will be interesting to see how far Rangers White drops. I can output the new rankings shortly but I'd really like to get the scores from Sunday's play at the Anaheim FC Summer Showcase from the first flight. They only have one score from Sunday listed. Did anyone play in this tournament and know the Sunday scores from the first flight?

http://events.gotsport.com/events/schedule.aspx?EventID=51639&Gender=Girls&Age=13

Hi! I think maybe u forgot Murrieta surf 04 white. I see u have blue and black .. Those r the second and third teams. Just being nosy... My daughter was on this team last year until the age change put her on 05. Looking out for my friends. ⚽⚽

Hi! I think maybe u forgot Murrieta surf 04 white. I see u have blue and black .. Those r the second and third teams. Just being nosy... My daughter was on this team last year until the age change put her on 05. Looking out for my friends. ⚽⚽

Thanks. I added them and spent a fair amount of time figuring out the differences between a few first-second-third teams from some other clubs. New rankings should be out sometime today. Doesn't look like too many major changes in the rankings for teams with higher sample sizes. A few of the lower sample size teams moved quite a bit.

Back