G04 Rankings

Just reflecting on these rankings and how much I enjoyed watching CRL this last season.........

DD is a 2004 player and the CRL season this past year was by far the most competitive league she has been involved in so far. While there were a few outliers, overall the games/teams seemed super competitive. The teams were largely playing at a level that was pushing each other to get better. Many games that I saw were close enough for the winner to say, "Whew, that was close." And the losing team could say, "We almost had that one." There were also quite a few draws.

By way of comparison, the fall SCDSL season did not feel the same.

So, looking at the top ten teams in the rankings and comparing them with the SCDSL and CSL Brackets (after all the games have been completed):

SCDSL Flight 1 East had one top ten team (1 0f 9 teams for 11%).
CSL Gold had two top ten teams (2 of 8 teams for 25%).
SCDSL Flight 1 North had three top ten teams (3 of 10 teams for 30%).
SCDSL Flight 1 South had four top ten teams (4 of 10 teams for 40%).

By way of comparison, California Regional League had 6 of the top ten teams (6 of 12 teams for 50%). So CRL, as a league, had more of the top competition playing against each other. I think this explains why it seemed to me, as a spectator, to be so competitive (in a positive way).

Now, extending this to next year, the DA would capture 8 of the top 10 teams based on the current rankings (8 of 14 teams for 57%). Now I know there will be a ton of movement before next season, but I think it will only serve to concentrate talent into the DA teams. Even without that, the percentage shows that the DA league would have an even higher percentage of the top teams than the leagues we competed in this last year.

I view this as a good thing and part of the reason why I am optimistic about what next year could bring.

I also want to note that I would be saying the same thing about ECNL, if the DA never came along. In fact, ECNL Southwest would have 8 of the top 10 teams competing (8 of 12 teams for 67%).

Regardless, I like the fact that the trend will be to have these teams pushing each other even more than before. I believe concentrating the high level teams into a more focused league will only increase the development of the players involved.

Thanks for doing this ... I appreciate the time, effort and calculations that go into this ... it's been fun watching this

Just a quick question. I notice many of the post are during business hours. Are people doing this on the employers dime or is everyone working nights? :)

Question? Wouldn't Arsenal Move up in ranking since they beat Surf in National Cup or was that not counted?
I was thinking the same thing. Since LAGSD had beaten Arsenal on a legitimate goal with a full RB squad shouldn't they be #1. Or Blues Kale who recently beat LAGSD - shouldn't they get consideration. And also West Coast who beat LAGSD in Nat'l Cup. etc, etc..
It's a system Kong. It looks at all of thee games through the entire season, strength of schedule, goal differential, etc. Similar to YSR. (which also has Arsenal #2) Got Soccer also has you #2.
I think most would agree that Surf was the team to beat all season and they produced the most consistent results. Certainly deserving of the #1 spot in all of the ranking systems.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the rankings. You guys had a great season. Congrats and good luck at FWR. We need Cal South to bring it home.

Lighting Red, Great Explanation... Makes sense ... basically its a compilation of season and strength of opponent / schedule etc ... Thanks for the Edificaton

Surf is definitely deserving of the #1 rank under this scenario

I like to see the phrase "totality of work" and if you look at it honestly adding in CRL, large tournaments league, and post league players it gives a nice picture and eliminates flukes.

Back