Fall 2016 SCDSL Season

Our Club has never been much for aggressively recruiting and seem to have the position you either want to play here or you don't. I think geographically speaking since they got the DA, the Clubs stock has risen dramatically. I don't think they will be hurting for talent come tryouts.

Our Club has never been much for aggressively recruiting and seem to have the position you either want to play here or you don't. I think geographically speaking since they got the DA, the Clubs stock has risen dramatically. I don't think they will be hurting for talent come tryouts.
I think that, with your mention of "geographically", what you are saying is that the population living within a "comfortable driving radius" of the Club is quite big, and therefore you do not care much about whether some existing players are recruited out because many others will come to try-outs anyways. Thus, keeping existing parents informed and being proactive is not really important to the Club.

Last edited:
The ECNL club that my daughter left a couple of years ago thought the same..."Hey, we're ECNL. We don't need to try to get players. They will come to us because we are ECNL." Then I was asked to help recruit players to their team. As a parent that works 50+ hours a week, and spends $2500 per year to have my daughter work her tail off for the club, I thought it was pretty disingenuous to be tasked with recruiting players too. Just try to make sure they are delivering what they promise.

I think that, with your mention of "geographically", what you are saying is that the population living within a "comfortable driving radius" of the Club is quite big, and therefore you do not care much about whether some existing players are recruited out because many others will come to try-outs anyways. Thus, keeping existing parents informed and being proactive is not really important to the Club.
As I stated, "they have never been..." so this stance predates DA. I am sure certain Coaches within the Club do recruit behind the scenes. Regardless of your interpretation of what i said, I'm happy with how the Club handled the Age Group transition and the fact that the Club is nor overburdening parents with information that will be relevant months from now.

Honestly are you already thinking about what your going to do next season? If so, you are part of the problem!

The ECNL club that my daughter left a couple of years ago thought the same..."Hey, we're ECNL. We don't need to try to get players. They will come to us because we are ECNL." Then I was asked to help recruit players to their team. As a parent that works 50+ hours a week, and spends $2500 per year to have my daughter work her tail off for the club, I thought it was pretty disingenuous to be tasked with recruiting players too. Just try to make sure they are delivering what they promise.
I've always appreciated those who promise less and deliver more!

Honestly are you already thinking about what your going to do next season? If so, you are part of the problem!
I am not thinking about what I am going to do next season, because there is zero clarity about the future in this regard and although it may seem differently, I am quite happy in the Club. But do not be "disingenuous", I and everybody else are thinking about what is going to/could happen next season. That is the reason why it would be nice to have some information from the clubs. The CLUB may not be ready to provide information, but that is not a reason to flip the argument and pretend that I am part of the problem.
What is the problem you are referring to anyways? The problem we have been discussing is that a) a key issue affecting many players/families will happen in the near future; b) clubs are not providing any information about this issue. How am I part of the problem? Because I am conscious?

The "club jumping for the shiny new toy" and/or always looking to what's next rather than what we have in front of us. This is the problem I am referring to. I do believe we are in the same CLUB, just different age groups. My intention was/is to point out that it is September! Tryouts will be held in FEB or MAR. give the Club some time to put a clear, concise message. The USSDA would not have awarded them the DA status if they didn't have their act together. That said, what information do you feel the Club should put out today that will help you or your DD in her present situation or better yet, 6 months from now?

For now, enjoy how well the team is playing and watch how much your DD grows in the program.

The "club jumping for the shiny new toy" and/or always looking to what's next rather than what we have in front of us. This is the problem I am referring to. I do believe we are in the same CLUB, just different age groups. My intention was/is to point out that it is September! Tryouts will be held in FEB or MAR. give the Club some time to put a clear, concise message. The USSDA would not have awarded them the DA status if they didn't have their act together. That said, what information do you feel the Club should put out today that will help you or your DD in her present situation or better yet, 6 months from now?

For now, enjoy how well the team is playing and watch how much your DD grows in the program.
I do not suffer the problem you mention, as the Club has been our only club and most likely will continue being so. But inquiring minds would like to know, for example (just a short list):
1) Coaching assignments
2) The philosophy of the club to form the rosters, in regards to the two possible birth years (e.g. 50/50 vs including best players regardless of age)
3) The philosophy of the club to form the rosters, in regards to Club-developed players vs outside players
4) The philosophy of the club regarding roster size
5) The philosophy of the club to assign Development Player slots
6) Club fees for DA and regular players
7) Are there scholarships? Scholarship requirements
8) DA curriculum: typical training plans
9) Will other, non DA teams, follow the DA curriculum?

Of course, I do not expect the Club to provide all this information now. But there is plenty of room between 0% (now) and 100%

Last edited:
The choice is not DA or ECNL. The choice is going to be between USYS National League teams or ECNL teams. DA will be the best roster for top college bound players, while the next tier down will be for ECNL or USYS teams.

Cali you may be right on this issue. With some of the teams that got the DA designation (Legends, Beach, Pats, etc.), the USYS NL may be as good as ECNL. Time will tell.

I think it depends on where your kid plays. If she plays at an ECNL club, those parents will likely argue that ECNL is better than USYS and vice versa.

For what it's worth, we share a lot of the same concerns. I'll be concerned (and disappointed quite frankly) if some of those questions aren't addressed by the end of Oct.

Back to League.....how did it go this weekend folks?

Battle of the Beach was a pretty evenly contested match with many scoring opportunities, with the edge going to the Hodson squad who banged a few off the sticks and couldn't couldn't finish. Kudos to Demelo's squad for taking advantage of two mistakes which defined the outcome. Very entertaining game, except for the ref.(what's new).
Great start to the season. Go Beach!

Well, two more games and no wins. Saturday's game against Surf was a closer game for Strikers. Surf was in my opinion the better team, but Strikers had a few chances to score. The Surf defender (I think #23) who takes the corner kicks may be the best I have seen at this age group this season. Strikers gave up many corners during the game and #23 put in a beautiful kick every time. Honestly, Surf should have scored more than two goals this game if they could get their head on the end of those corner kicks. The difference was a dumb foul in the box by a Strikers player that generated a PK.

Sunday's game against DMCV was a much closer game. Strikers got the opening goal on a great touch past the keeper close to the 18 yard line. DMCV tied the game about 10 minutes later on a free kick from maybe 25-30 yards. That kick was a thing of beauty - under the crossbar and over the keeper's hands. No scoring in the second half and not many chances as I recall.

After a very competitive spring and summer season for Strikers, I figured the team would be better off than three losses and one tie after four games. Looking at the SCDSL Tier 1 Champions standings, the teams that have ECNL are not faring too well.

Today the referee disallowed a goal scored on a penalty kick where the girl who took the kick had it saved by the keeper bounced back to her and she put it in the back of the net. The referee said there is a new rule this year that the shooter can not be the first to play the ball after her attempt. First of all there is no new rule and second of all the goalie played the ball and the shooter was not the first to play it following her attempt.

We were dumbfounded! a 1-0 victory became a 0-0 tie.

Today the referee disallowed a goal scored on a penalty kick where the girl who took the kick had it saved by the keeper bounced back to her and she put it in the back of the net. The referee said there is a new rule this year that the shooter can not be the first to play the ball after her attempt. First of all there is no new rule and second of all the goalie played the ball and the shooter was not the first to play it following her attempt.

There actually is a new law this season which clearly states; "When referees don't know the laws they can independently create a new one!"

Well, it would appear that the referee did not apply the LOTG properly to your game. I love to use the language that the referees on this board use. Maybe one of those referees can chime in on this issue?

I have noticed that a SCDSL rule is not being applied properly. At 03 and above, players that get subbed off in the first half of the game are done for that half (there is one re-entry allowed in the second half). In the five games my dd's team has played, many times her opponent is not following this rule. To the best of my knowledge, no referee has made an issue of this rule. For those that have played Beach DeMelo, have they followed this rule? When my dd's team played Beach DeMelo, he had multiple players go in and out during the first half.

Well, we played only one game this weekend (yesterday) and still did not win. Five games into the season and no wins.

As for the game, I think the heat played a major role. Game was at 9:45am at Tesoro HS on the turf. Those girls looked drained by the end of the first half. Strikers took the lead in the first half on a nice cross into the box and a tap home past the keeper. WCFC tied the game a little while later on a shot that probably should have been stopped by our keeper. The ball bounced right in front of the keeper and that may have thrown off her timing. No goals in the second half. I think Strikers was the better team and had more scoring chances, but could not find the back of the net. Kudos to both teams, I know I would not have wanted to play that game based on the weather.

Best part of the game.......I sat behind the WCFC parents in the stands. The amount of whining and yelling at the referee was amazing. On one play in particular, WCFC should have been awarded a throw in after the ball went out of play off a Strikers player. AR awards the throw in to Strikers and the WCFC parents went nuts. Calling the AR "dumb" and "blind" was used by multiple parents. I think they argued every call that went against their team.

Strikers two games this weekend are going to be rough. Saturday versus LAGSB and Sunday versus Beach Hodson. I think two ties this weekend will feel like victories.

Well, it would appear that the referee did not apply the LOTG properly to your game. I love to use the language that the referees on this board use. Maybe one of those referees can chime in on this issue?

I have noticed that a SCDSL rule is not being applied properly. At 03 and above, players that get subbed off in the first half of the game are done for that half (there is one re-entry allowed in the second half). In the five games my dd's team has played, many times her opponent is not following this rule. To the best of my knowledge, no referee has made an issue of this rule. For those that have played Beach DeMelo, have they followed this rule? When my dd's team played Beach DeMelo, he had multiple players go in and out during the first half.
Did you take notes to check if the players that were subbed went back in during the same half? It would've been difficult to know unless you wrote down numbers of players subbing going in and out. For me, I just watch the game and don't focus on what the ref is supposed to enforce. So, no, I've never noticed.

Of all the games we played, only one ref played by the sub rule, against galaxy. Both teams used the subs allowed them by the refs.

Of all the games we played, only one ref played by the sub rule, against galaxy. Both teams used the subs allowed them by the refs.
The first half no-reentry rule was also applied in the game DeMelo played against SDSC this past Saturday. But the general observation is correct, most referees do not apply it, which is a pity.
Some parents in the side lines are a shame. When a supposedly grown man yields that a player in the opposite team is small, or yields to the opposite parents to "suck it up", there is little that can be done. Most parents do not live in the stone age, and we do not have the urge to increase the confrontation unless it gets impossible to take, all we want to do is enjoy a day out with our children. The coaches should take care of this, these neanderthals are just giving a bad reputation to their teams. On my side I am happy thinking that in the unlikely case that these neanderthals try to switch to our teams, I will be happy blocking the move.

Back