Fall 2016 SCDSL Season

The first concept that needs to be understood is the genesis of the Southern California Developmental Soccer League (SCDSL). It was not created to "develop" players, it was created for the clubs that have too many teams per age group. Coast Soccer League (CSL) had/has a longstanding concept of allowing a maximum of three (3) teams per gender per age group. So when Slammers, Strikers, Legends, Beach, Pats, Surf and the others went on their buying sprees a few years ago gobbling up smaller organizations, they could not work within CSL's rules. Thus they started their own league so they could cram as many teams into the age groups as possible. Development is not the major focus of club soccer. The main focus is making money. I think once you come to grips with the "goal" of club soccer organizations, you can let go of the "development" concept.

As for the playoff, I am okay with the concept (especially at the older ages). The problem with the playoff in my mind is the compressed regular season schedule to get to the playoff time. The Fall season runs from roughly September 1st through Thanksgiving weekend. That is not a lot of time to get many games in. This year will be the first year my dd has competed in the SCDSL playoffs, so I will keep an open mind until its conclusion.

Last point, wait until the Monday after Thanksgiving when all players (non-ECNL) are effectively free agents. With the incoming GDA, I think there is going to be a ton of movement with players and coaches.
At which age groups does SD Surf carry more than 3 teams?

This doesn't even make sense. Some of these teams were last place in their division.
This is the Europa Division (2nd flight). It consists of bottom 3 from Champions, 3rd&4th teams from the remaining of each region of Flight 1, top 5 teams from each region of Flight 2 and 2 wild cards from the remaining of Flight 1.

CZ Elite is tied in points with Beach Lohn for the Wildcard in the Champions division. We have a win and a tie against Beach in league. Shouldn't CZ advance and not Beach based on the head to head advantage regardless of the goal differential?

CZ Elite is tied in points with Beach Lohn for the Wildcard in the Champions division. We have a win and a tie against Beach in league. Shouldn't CZ advance and not Beach based on the head to head advantage regardless of the goal differential?

Yes they should totally change the rules to benefit CZ and if we want to make it really fair should also give them a 2 goal head start in each play-off game!

Yes they should totally change the rules to benefit CZ and if we want to make it really fair should also give them a 2 goal head start in each play-off game!
I'm not asking for a rule to be changed. The rule is that the head to head is the first tie-breaker. You must be a Beach parent

This doesn't even make sense. Some of these teams were last place in their division.
I actually wondered the same thing- and I am not a CZ or a Beach parent. I thought tie break rules were: head-to-head competition, then goal differential, highest goals for, fewest goals against. CZ wins in head-to-head, but then Beach wins in GD. On the other hand, do you really want to be the lowest seed going into Champions?

I'm not asking for a rule to be changed. The rule is that the head to head is the first tie-breaker. You must be a Beach parent
Actually, the rules state:

TIE BREAKERS for ALL FLIGHTS when determining advancing teams:

When two-teams are tied then total points earned in head-to-head games against each other will determine the winner. If more than two-teams are tied, this tie breaker does not apply. If total points does not determine the winner then:

• Best Goal Differential

• Highest Goals For

• Fewest Goals Against

• Coin Toss

WILDCARDS ARE DETERMINED BY THE HIGHEST PTS/GP (the second column on the standings page) when part of the divisional playoff format. Wildcards can come from any geographical division within said Flight.
Here is the link: http://www.scdslsoccer.com/docs/2016SCDSLPlayoffRules.pdf

I actually wondered the same thing- and I am not a CZ or a Beach parent. I thought tie break rules were: head-to-head competition, then goal differential, highest goals for, fewest goals against. CZ wins in head-to-head, but then Beach wins in GD. On the other hand, do you really want to be the lowest seed going into Champions?
The consensus on the team is we would rather play in the higher division and compete against the best team.

Actually, the rules state:

TIE BREAKERS for ALL FLIGHTS when determining advancing teams:

When two-teams are tied then total points earned in head-to-head games against each other will determine the winner. If more than two-teams are tied, this tie breaker does not apply. If total points does not determine the winner then:

• Best Goal Differential

• Highest Goals For

• Fewest Goals Against

• Coin Toss

WILDCARDS ARE DETERMINED BY THE HIGHEST PTS/GP (the second column on the standings page) when part of the divisional playoff format. Wildcards can come from any geographical division within said Flight.
Here is the link: http://www.scdslsoccer.com/docs/2016SCDSLPlayoffRules.pdf

Again: I'm not a CZ or Beach parent, but those two teams were tied in PTS/GP. They were vying for the last wildcard spot into Champions. If they played head to head twice, with a tie once and a win for CZ once, shouldn't CZ win the tie break and advance to the last wild card spot in Champions? The other wild card team is not in a three way tie, so there is no reason to go to GD.

Again: I'm not a CZ or Beach parent, but those two teams were tied in PTS/GP. They were vying for the last wildcard spot into Champions. If they played head to head twice, with a tie once and a win for CZ once, shouldn't CZ win the tie break and advance to the last wild card spot in Champions? The other wild card team is not in a three way tie, so there is no reason to go to GD.
Ummm, it states in the rules that the first tie breaker IS GD....I've got no skin in this game either, just trying to help clarify what the rules are. It seems to me they are looking at the "body of work" across the season.

Ummm, it states in the rules that the first tie breaker IS GD....I've got no skin in this game either, just trying to help clarify what the rules are. It seems to me they are looking at the "body of work" across the season.

"TIE BREAKERS for ALL FLIGHTS when determining advancing teams:

When two-teams are tied then total points earned in head-to-head games against each other will determine the winner. If more than two-teams are tied, this tie breaker does not apply. If total points does not determine the winner then..."

Bold text is mine, but doesn't that say head-to- head comes first? Maybe I am misunderstanding the wording?

"TIE BREAKERS for ALL FLIGHTS when determining advancing teams:

When two-teams are tied then total points earned in head-to-head games against each other will determine the winner. If more than two-teams are tied, this tie breaker does not apply. If total points does not determine the winner then..."

Bold text is mine, but doesn't that say head-to- head comes first? Maybe I am misunderstanding the wording?
Strong point! Have you contacted SCDSL?

Brackets have not been officially released. I just stumbled on Europa while updating team roster. Just keep in mind, it is not official....
But then again, if this is what they plan to publish, will they make changes? If they err on one, who knows how many other could be impacted. Is their determination final?

Back