Fall 2016 SCDSL Season

Did you take notes to check if the players that were subbed went back in during the same half? It would've been difficult to know unless you wrote down numbers of players subbing going in and out. For me, I just watch the game and don't focus on what the ref is supposed to enforce. So, no, I've never noticed.

No, I did not take notes or mark the players down on the fancy spreadsheet Generik loaned me :))). With DeMelo's team, he only had three to four subs, so it was a little easier to track who went in and out in the first half.

The only reason I noticed this was that I read the SCDSL rules the night before that game and wondered if both teams would adhere to the substitution rule. We had gone through the entire summer tourney season with free subs, so I was just curious how the teams would adapt to the Fall season.

I was alerted of this forum some time ago and have been following to get my finger on the pulse here. While most of it is informational, it is concerning to see how some parents really feel like the success of their child defines them. If you feel like a failure when your child has lost a game that is an utter shame. You need to really ask yourself why you are doing this? Do you want them to play in High School, maybe college? Then what? The goal should be to raise a solid human being. I can only imagine the conversations that must take place in car rides home...blaming coaches, teammates, parents, etc.

This particular thread struck me because of a parent(s) 'calling out' teammates for plays they should have made. Disgusting! Nothing is learned unless mistakes are made and that is why you play...to learn character, sportsmanship, coachability, respect, etc. Tools you can use when this brief soccer thing is over.

As for the parent(s) calling out players...turn that bright light on yourself and your child. What are they doing to be a better teammate? What contributions are they providing the TEAM? How many goals has she scored? How many teammates has she picked up who made a mistake? How many opponents has she congratulated? How often does she take accountability for her mistakes or effort? Cause when I watch, I watch for these things. And when I see them I make point of walking up to them and their parents and letting them know that those intangibles do not go unnoticed and that they are doing an incredible job of raising a superb human being, not another divisive, self-centered brat.

I was alerted of this forum some time ago and have been following to get my finger on the pulse here. While most of it is informational, it is concerning to see how some parents really feel like the success of their child defines them. If you feel like a failure when your child has lost a game that is an utter shame. You need to really ask yourself why you are doing this? Do you want them to play in High School, maybe college? Then what? The goal should be to raise a solid human being. I can only imagine the conversations that must take place in car rides home...blaming coaches, teammates, parents, etc.

This particular thread struck me because of a parent(s) 'calling out' teammates for plays they should have made. Disgusting! Nothing is learned unless mistakes are made and that is why you play...to learn character, sportsmanship, coachability, respect, etc. Tools you can use when this brief soccer thing is over.

As for the parent(s) calling out players...turn that bright light on yourself and your child. What are they doing to be a better teammate? What contributions are they providing the TEAM? How many goals has she scored? How many teammates has she picked up who made a mistake? How many opponents has she congratulated? How often does she take accountability for her mistakes or effort? Cause when I watch, I watch for these things. And when I see them I make point of walking up to them and their parents and letting them know that those intangibles do not go unnoticed and that they are doing an incredible job of raising a superb human being, not another divisive, self-centered brat.
Solid first post!!!

Very solid first post. Welcome aboard.

I have a question about the last two sentences of the third paragraph. How many times have you approached players/parents you don't know and what have been some of their reactions? While I think the gesture is awesome, I am curious how they have reacted.

And when I see them I make point of walking up to them and their parents and letting them know that those intangibles do not go unnoticed and that they are doing an incredible job of raising a superb human being, not another divisive, self-centered brat.
Nice post, but its easy to talk and make nicee nicee comments to the well mannered parents on how there well behaved children plays. How bout lending a hand and try talking to the parents that are screaming there heads off and making derogatory comments while there DD is trucking everyone else on the field. Go talk to that parent, tell them there raising a devisive spoiled brat, see how that plays out. After the brawl is over, and your released from county, then youve got my thumbs up......

Nice post, but its easy to talk and make nicee nicee comments to the well mannered parents on how there well behaved children plays. How bout lending a hand and try talking to the parents that are screaming there heads off and making derogatory comments while there DD is trucking everyone else on the field. Go talk to that parent, tell them there raising a devisive spoiled brat, see how that plays out. After the brawl is over, and your released from county, then youve got my thumbs up......

Why on earth would I waste my time with them? They are a lost cause. Not my job to police the inept.

Besides it is free comedy for me on my weekends; bouncing all across SoCal from sport
to sport.

Well, two more games into this ten game regular season and Strikers OC got their first win.

Saturday versus LAGSB - one of the best games I have seen Strikers play in a long time. Strikers was first to nearly all 50/50 balls and brought great intensity all 70 minutes. The difference between the two teams was the play of the keepers. Strikers keeper played probably her best game I have seen. The LAG keeper in the second half made a couple of mistakes that led to the two goals for Strikers. Final score Strikers 2 - LAGSB 0.

Sunday versus Beach Hodson - Strikers kept the game close for all but the last minute of the first half. Foul about 30 yards from goal and Beach put in a nice free kick right at the stroke of halftime. Beach completely controlled the game in the second half and scored a couple more goals towards the end of the second half. Final score Beach Hodson 3 - Strikers 0.

Best part of the game versus Beach was the Beach dad who proceeded to explain the LOTG every time the referee called a foul against Beach. Thank you sir for explaining the rule book to us parents. It's nice to have a rules expert in the stands.

Why on earth would I waste my time with them? They are a lost cause. Not my job to police the inept.

Besides it is free comedy for me on my weekends; bouncing all across SoCal from sport
to sport.
I completely agree about the free comedy. sometimes I have to walk away because I can't stop laughing. Also when the referee do a terrible job I always say "Can I get a refund?" or "Can I get a discount?". I get some go laugh when the parents go crazy...laughter helps to calm down a bad scenario.

SCDSL has the word "development" in it?

In November we have a "playoff." We played a bunch of games in Sept., a few in October, then we get seeded for a playoff in November. As a newer team, we'll probably lose in the first weekend. In what planet is this called "development?" After the team plays 6-8 scheduled games they begin to improve and played some good soccer. Still too much emphasis on winning, but at least we had a schedule and a chance to play regularly... for about 8 weeks. Then maybe 1-2 games in November, then it's all over and we begin to look for tournaments. Why not at least just play every weekend until Thanksgiving? We already have the state cup in February and coach is forced to find a place for us to play regularly before that so we can prepare. Why do we need 2 playoffs in one "season?"

In November we have a "playoff." We played a bunch of games in Sept., a few in October, then we get seeded for a playoff in November. As a newer team, we'll probably lose in the first weekend. In what planet is this called "development?" After the team plays 6-8 scheduled games they begin to improve and played some good soccer. Still too much emphasis on winning, but at least we had a schedule and a chance to play regularly... for about 8 weeks. Then maybe 1-2 games in November, then it's all over and we begin to look for tournaments. Why not at least just play every weekend until Thanksgiving? We already have the state cup in February and coach is forced to find a place for us to play regularly before that so we can prepare. Why do we need 2 playoffs in one "season?"

The first concept that needs to be understood is the genesis of the Southern California Developmental Soccer League (SCDSL). It was not created to "develop" players, it was created for the clubs that have too many teams per age group. Coast Soccer League (CSL) had/has a longstanding concept of allowing a maximum of three (3) teams per gender per age group. So when Slammers, Strikers, Legends, Beach, Pats, Surf and the others went on their buying sprees a few years ago gobbling up smaller organizations, they could not work within CSL's rules. Thus they started their own league so they could cram as many teams into the age groups as possible. Development is not the major focus of club soccer. The main focus is making money. I think once you come to grips with the "goal" of club soccer organizations, you can let go of the "development" concept.

As for the playoff, I am okay with the concept (especially at the older ages). The problem with the playoff in my mind is the compressed regular season schedule to get to the playoff time. The Fall season runs from roughly September 1st through Thanksgiving weekend. That is not a lot of time to get many games in. This year will be the first year my dd has competed in the SCDSL playoffs, so I will keep an open mind until its conclusion.

Last point, wait until the Monday after Thanksgiving when all players (non-ECNL) are effectively free agents. With the incoming GDA, I think there is going to be a ton of movement with players and coaches.

Last point, wait until the Monday after Thanksgiving when all players (non-ECNL) are effectively free agents. With the incoming GDA, I think there is going to be a ton of movement with players and coaches.
Hey bababooey,
Where can I find it in writing about players are basically free agents after Thanksgiving.

Don't forget the restrictions when transferring between SCDSL clubs...

http://www.scdslsoccer.com/docs/SCDSL Rules_2016Update.pdf.pdf

The transfer rule that the SCDSL adopted is enforceable at the league level. The new Cal South Transfer
Rule (effective 8/1/14) now requires DOC approval from both clubs on the release and transfer, no matter
what league the player participates in. It also includes an appeal process, through Cal South, if the
outgoing DOC refuses the player release. However, for SCDSL purposes, clubs that disregard the SCDSL
rule are undermining the spirit of the league, and will be subject to board and Technical Committee
review, and potential non-renewal for the following season. Even if an appeal is upheld through Cal South
and the player is allowed to release from a SCDSL team, the incoming SCDSL club is expected to obtain
the required approval from the outgoing DOC per the SCDSL Transfer Rule. If the outgoing DOC denies
the transfer then the incoming club cannot register the player via a transfer.
Specifically, a player release (drop) from any SCDSL team and subsequent signing at any time prior to the
end of State/National Cup competition, as defined above, by another SCDSL team, is considered a
transfer and will be considered a violation of the SCDSL rule as it is intended.

Good point especially if your DD is in a new team. I would rather see a playoff system than play a showcase for a weekend which is for the younger group. You play 2 games in one day. My 08 DD will have theirs this Sat (meaningless).

With the playoff system, it will show how the teams have developed from spring to fall. You will be able to tell which team/coach emphasized on development or winning games. So I am looking forward to it but not sure what the format will it be. Are they going to mix the leagues with the flights (all of flights 1) or the seeding will be within you're own league (champions, Europa North, Europa East.....)

Good luck to all

The format last year consisted of the top 8 teams in the Champions division paired with the top 8 teams in the Europa division to form a bracket of 16 teams. The remaining brackets of 16 were then seeded with the bottom 3 teams from the Champions division and the reminder of the Europa teams.

Here's how the rest of the season will work for the rest of my DD's team. 2 more regular season games this month, then wait impatiently for the playoff schedule. Drive to Norco, pay $ for parking, etc. etc. It will probably be a good game since we're mid table. My DD will play the entire game since she's captain and has stepped up, she'll be bummed if she or the others didn't perform because there is no tomorrow, and there will be players on the bench who don't get minutes, and there will be angry parents who probably won't come the following week if we win and their kid didn't play. If we lose, season over. This is the season we've been waiting and training for. In what universe is this better than a showcase where we get 2 games out there, everyone touches this ball, we drive out there once instead of multiple times? We already have a state cup to prepare for. As of early November, our coach, who I really like, has to find places for the girls to develop on a regular basis. Or I find an independent futsal league... or something. This does not make any sense at all if you are thinking that you want your kid to be a better player, build commitment in a team, and be in an environment where everyone is improving. My son's team may play in the USSDA next year, at least that's what I hear, so I'm not coming about this from a Sunday league mentality. My DD spent last year on the bench and worked her way up. I mean developed. I'm talking about our kids being better soccer players and not hear parents screaming win win win from the sidelines so we can play another game. It's just not right.

So nothing before State Cup? We are in Surf Thanksgiving and Vegas Cup. I'm sure we will be scheduling some friendlies to fill in the gaps.

G2003 Playoff Format as of Oct 18

CHAMPIONS DIVISION - Round of 16 comprised of:

Top 8 team from Champions Division

1st and 2nd from each Europa Divisions = 6

2 wildcards based on Pts/GP (points per games, second column on standings page)

EUROPA DIVISION – Round of 16 comprised of:

Bottom 3 from Champions Division = 3

3rd and 4th from each Europa Division = 6

1st place from Flight 2 each geographical division = 5

2 wildcards from Flight 1 Europa based on Pts/GP (can come from any geographical division) = 2

NORTH AMERICAN DIVISION – Round of 16 comprised of: (CORRECTED 10/18/16)

Remaining 9 teams from Europa Flight 1 = 9

2nd place teams from Flight 2 based on geographical standings = 5

2 wild cards from Flight 2 based on Pts/GP

CLASSIC DIVISION – Round of 16 comprised of:

3rd, 4th and 5th OR 4th, 5th and 6th from each Flight 2 geographical group (depending on wildcards for North American Division) = 15

1 wild card from Flight 2 based on Pts/GP =1

SUPER DIVISION – Round of 16 comprised of: (CORRECTED 10/18/16)

Remaining teams from Flight 2 with the exception of last 2 teams in each geographical group = 12

1st and 2nd place Flight 3 North and South = 4

ELITE DIVISION – Round of 16 comprised of:

Remaining 10 teams from Flight 2 = 10

3rd, 4th and 5th Flight 3 North and South = 6

SHOWCASE DIVISION

Remaining 8 teams from Flight 3 will cross play north vs. south in 3 additional games.

Back