Fall 2016 SCDSL Season

Well, since my dd does not play for an ECNL team, I thought I would start a thread that would include the SCDSL Fall games. For those that care to share insight, let's use this thread for all three flights.

I will start the discussion with the two games my dd's team played this weekend.

Game #1 on Saturday versus Beach DeMelo. After having played this team the weekend before at Blues Cup, I figured our team would be competitive. Well that lasted about 10 minutes into the first half. #9 goes right around our outside defender to get into the box and fire a rocket over the hands of our keeper. In hindsight the game was over at that point, but as a parent you hold out hope that we can come back and score to tie it up. Nope, few minutes later on a corner kick ball bounces around the box and Beach taps it home. 2-0 after maybe 20 minutes. Beach scores late in the second half to make it 3-0. At least we had a shot on goal in the game, so Beach's keeper did have something to do.

Game #2 on Sunday versus Beach Kaufman. Not a pretty game and definitely not a pretty field to play on. One of those fields where the dirt was almost as abundant as the grass. Both teams had their chances, but on a play I have never witnessed before with my dd, our keeper handles the ball outside of the 18 (at the top where the semi-circle is). CR calls for the direct kick at the spot of the handled ball and in the confusion of the call, the Beach forward grabs the ball, places on the grass and shoots it into the back of the net....1-0. Very intelligent play by the Beach forward. Beach Kaufman wins 1-0.

Damn, this is going to be a stressful year for us parents.

Well, since my dd does not play for an ECNL team, I thought I would start a thread that would include the SCDSL Fall games. For those that care to share insight, let's use this thread for all three flights.

I will start the discussion with the two games my dd's team played this weekend.

Game #1 on Saturday versus Beach DeMelo. After having played this team the weekend before at Blues Cup, I figured our team would be competitive. Well that lasted about 10 minutes into the first half. #9 goes right around our outside defender to get into the box and fire a rocket over the hands of our keeper. In hindsight the game was over at that point, but as a parent you hold out hope that we can come back and score to tie it up. Nope, few minutes later on a corner kick ball bounces around the box and Beach taps it home. 2-0 after maybe 20 minutes. Beach scores late in the second half to make it 3-0. At least we had a shot on goal in the game, so Beach's keeper did have something to do.

Game #2 on Sunday versus Beach Kaufman. Not a pretty game and definitely not a pretty field to play on. One of those fields where the dirt was almost as abundant as the grass. Both teams had their chances, but on a play I have never witnessed before with my dd, our keeper handles the ball outside of the 18 (at the top where the semi-circle is). CR calls for the direct kick at the spot of the handled ball and in the confusion of the call, the Beach forward grabs the ball, places on the grass and shoots it into the back of the net....1-0. Very intelligent play by the Beach forward. Beach Kaufman wins 1-0.

Damn, this is going to be a stressful year for us parents.

I always thought that a keeper handling outside box was an indirect kick, thanks for the insight

I always thought that a keeper handling outside box was an indirect kick, thanks for the insight
Passback is indirect. Handling outside of the box is just like any other player using their hands on the field. Direct.

To add to Timbuck's response, a second touch (releasing it and picking it up again) within the penalty area would also be indirect (direct if it occurs outside).

Bouncing the ball on the ground or lightly tossing it up and catching it is considered to be a continuation of control, not a release.

Blues Brothas sighting this weekend... Scouting the Beach Hodson vs DMCV game at ... El Camino College .mmmmmmm...heard afterward they went to Alondra Park and Played Pokey Go....
Must have been tracking that elusive Pokemon all the way from their 9am game at Norco College!

Blues Brothas sighting this weekend... Scouting the Beach Hodson vs DMCV game at ... El Camino College .mmmmmmm...heard afterward they went to Alondra Park and Played Pokey Go....
Can't blame them for wanting to get the best talent....who doesn't want to have the best players on the team vs. developing and going through the long process.

Because it's about the process, but if you can't develop, might as well recruit. So much for club loyalty and stability..

Because it's about the process, but if you can't develop, might as well recruit. So much for club loyalty and stability..

The longer I have been in club soccer, the more I realize that club loyalty and stability is not a major focus of parents or clubs. You are going to see more player movement when the 2016/2017 season is over. Parents are going to be angling to get their dd with an ECNL team or a DA team.

I used to think that club loyalty was very important, but the reality is that we as parents have to do what is best for our players. I think we all know that the majority of clubs are not interested in what is best for the player, only what is best for the club.

I agree with your post.
I have a hard time rectifying all of this we have already had movement on and off our team. Most are already angling for the upcoming season and it makes finishing a season difficult.
I do not share everyone's opinion that the best of the best will be in DA- in Orange County it's very diluted now. People have many choices and I wonder how the clubs will be handling this tryout and relegation process. It would be wonderful if clubs recognized family loyalty once in awhile if the girls also were talented and are working. I have great respect for players but club hoppers ruin chemistry.
The poaching and back door deals have already started and some people are trying to do the right thing but honestly you get left out in the cold if you do.

The longer I have been in club soccer, the more I realize that club loyalty and stability is not a major focus of parents or clubs. You are going to see more player movement when the 2016/2017 season is over. Parents are going to be angling to get their dd with an ECNL team or a DA team.
The choice is not DA or ECNL. The choice is going to be between USYS National League teams or ECNL teams. DA will be the best roster for top college bound players, while the next tier down will be for ECNL or USYS teams.

It's not a matter of new and better it's matter of utility. If one coach likes my daughter and is willing to say "you can avoid the headache of whatever mess between Jan-Apr" I am on it.
I have told my friends to be aware of the coaches who are already building "super teams" and promising "girl x will be here " etc. As everyone should have learned from last season a lot changed and there are always suprises.
Some of us though are genuinely interested in coaching and playing time. I would like to know coaching assignments because again as many people know in this age group a lot rest in that

I think clubs need to start talking about their plans for next season in the near future. Or else, yes, parents will take the shiny new car instead of waiting to see what's behind door #3.
I think Clubs are already making plans, but just aren't ready to talk about it. Are parents really that ready to plan for changing clubs based on a new shiny toy when it's only week 1/2 of League? Let's all stop the madness and enjoy the journey for a minute!

I think Clubs are already making plans, but just aren't ready to talk about it. Are parents really that ready to plan for changing clubs based on a new shiny toy when it's only week 1/2 of League? Let's all stop the madness and enjoy the journey for a minute!

Agree the problem is it's already happening so the question becomes do you join in the madness and risk being left behind- or do you relax?
That's the only worry. If the clubs didn't reward parents who have started their email and sideline coaching "choose my daughter" activities it would be good for the whole. Unfortunately that is not what I have seen.

I think clubs need to start talking about their plans for next season in the near future. Or else, yes, parents will take the shiny new car instead of waiting to see what's behind door #3.
Our club is also mute. It is difficult to understand, this transition is clearly most important to most parents and players, I do not see why important information (e.g. coaches assignments; philosophy to make rosters: best available players regardless of birth year vs balanced composition in terms of two year groups) is not released. I can see how a club, by not been proactive, may lose a couple of their top-top players to other clubs with active recruiters like the Bakers. Next year's try-out season is going to be crazy.

Agree the problem is it's already happening so the question becomes do you join in the madness and risk being left behind- or do you relax?
That's the only worry. If the clubs didn't reward parents who have started their email and sideline coaching "choose my daughter" activities it would be good for the whole. Unfortunately that is not what I have seen.
Agreed, collectively we are part of the problem. I went thru the process last year of offers to commit in Nov. We took the position that we weren't ready and if you need to fill the spot, go ahead. In the end, it all worked out!

As for DA, I've already told my DD that if she wants it, she needs to work for it, not me. Even if it doesn't come next year for you, it will only test how much you want it and if you really do want it, the effort you put in will be rewarded. I want to set the stage early because as she gets older, she will need to fight her own battles, so learn young!

Our club is also mute. It is difficult to understand, this transition is clearly most important to most parents and players, I do not see why important information (e.g. coaches assignments; philosophy to make rosters: best available players regardless of birth year vs balanced composition in terms of two year groups) is not released. I can see how a club, by not been proactive, may lose a couple of their top-top players to other clubs with active recruiters like the Bakers. Next year's try-out season is going to be crazy.
It could have to do with the ramifications of Coach A (who wants the DA team) finding out they won't have it and leaving the Club mid season. Coaches can be as fickle as parents!

It could have to do with the ramifications of Coach A (who wants the DA team) finding out they won't have it and leaving the Club mid season. Coaches can be as fickle as parents!
That is some information at last! Now seriously, I understand your point. But if that is really an issue for the club, I imagine that no coaches have been tasked with actively recruiting outside of the club at this point, because if they did Coach A would hear about it and leave. If this is true a club like Blues, which seems to be ahead of the game as demonstrated by the omnipresence of the Bakers in games of an age group that they do not coach at present, will have an advantage in keeping their top players and recruiting new ones. Paranoia? Maybe.

Back