D1 Women's Soccer Transfers

Yeah....unless you are a starting YNT player, the money will be long gone if you wait until the end for women's soccer. Very different from football given the limited number of total scholarships per team and partial nature of scholarships. Everything in football is 100%. Coaches actually told DD during recruiting process that they all hate the current process with early commitments, but system has moved that way and the athletic money is usually gone long before Junior or Senior year. I agree that the transfer rate would go down if the NCAA would step in and change the system. But in the meantime, expect to commit early to get the maximum athletic scholarship. Like I said......there is always the exception....I can think of a late signer to Stanford this year.

She wasn't a late signer if you are talking about Cat. She had committed there when she decommitted from Cal. She just didn't announce it until she had gotten in. Stanford doesn't save money for anyone and they are very upfront about what money your player can expect.

You are wrong. Amy Thorne is a school psychologist. Not even close to a child psychologist. It is like claiming a nurse's aide is a physician. It also makes all of her prior posts (before you took over her account, abdull) even more despicable. She insults children on this board while presumably helping them in her day job.

I doubt your ex wife is going to be super happy with your post. You are not very bright.

I would disagree with your understanding of what/who is a child psychologist. A family member is not only a school psychologist but also has his own practice. A nurse's aide is not a physician but a school psychologist is licensed the same as a private psychologist and in reality they have to have certain education classes and certificates added on top of their degree, volunteer hours and certification. Please do your research.

PorkChops, shouldn’t you be in the DA thread worrying and whining about USSDA dual banding your DD’s 2003 age group with the 2002’s next season? Get use to it, because if your DD plays college soccer it’s quadruple banded!
You do understand that by the time a girl is 18, the difference between an 18 and 22 is not that different. So playing with four age groups is no big deal, in fact, I would bet that some of those 18 year olds are faster and are more skilled than the older women. The few who don't loose it will move on to the pros, others will give it up to focus on careers. It goes fast, enjoy.

Common sense tells me that this all goes back to girls committing in the 9th and 10th grade. Most kids think a lot differently at 12th grade than they do at 9th or 10th. I really don't understand why girls, especially stud girls who have multiple options, would pigeon hole themselves at such an early age. I understand that college coaches allocate all their money early in the process, but why?

I followed college football recruiting for many years and it's the opposite in football. Many players wait until the last minute to commit. And trust me if your a stud, they will find a scholarship for you, maybe even pull someone else's just for you.

If your a stud soccer player why wouldn't you wait until you're older and more certain about where you want to go to school and fit in before you commit. Are you telling me that if the top 300 recruits played it this way that they then would find themselves without any scholarships?

A stud at 14/15 isn't necessarily a stud at 18/19/20/21. Your idea would be great if players didn't change. There are too many reasons for a player to transfer but I will highlight a couple of situations that help to contribute to the current state of recruiting that you might not have thought of.

The first situation that you might not have thought of is the fact that some players transfer because of the team "culture." Each team has a particular collective attitude that is created by the coach and sometimes it goes counter to how a kid was raised or it makes for a toxic environment for the kid. This isn't something that you can necessarily pick up during the recruiting process. In my opinion it is better for the kid to go than to remain in that situation where they will not thrive.

One other situation that you might not have considered that definitely fuels the early recruiting is the fact that players change not only for the better but for the worse after their frosh/soph year. In the case where a player is highly sought after early on it is better for them to commit early and lock in scholarship money that might otherwise go to a player that surpasses them down the road. Recruiting is such an inexact science that unfortunately without any sort of regulations prohibiting the coaches from offering 12 year olds scholarships, the process is going to continue as they try to get every edge that they can. 3 or 4 great players can change the course of a program and get a coach that next big job. So they continue to do it even though they all say that they "hate" it. They just don't hate it enough to do something about it or risk losing that big recruit. Hell they don't even want to lose an average recruit!

I am all for a recruiting rule but unfortunately I am in the minority. My suggestion to all when it comes to picking a place to commit to you pick the school then the team then the coach because a lot changes from a players frosh/soph year of high school and her junior/senior year of college.

Good luck to you and your player.

You do understand that by the time a girl is 18, the difference between an 18 and 22 is not that different. So playing with four age groups is no big deal, in fact, I would bet that some of those 18 year olds are faster and are more skilled than the older women. The few who don't loose it will move on to the pros, others will give it up to focus on careers. It goes fast, enjoy.
LMAO, you don’t have a clue. You are in for a rude awakening!

Last edited:
A stud at 14/15 isn't necessarily a stud at 18/19/20/21. Your idea would be great if players didn't change. There are too many reasons for a player to transfer but I will highlight a couple of situations that help to contribute to the current state of recruiting that you might not have thought of.

The first situation that you might not have thought of is the fact that some players transfer because of the team "culture." Each team has a particular collective attitude that is created by the coach and sometimes it goes counter to how a kid was raised or it makes for a toxic environment for the kid. This isn't something that you can necessarily pick up during the recruiting process. In my opinion it is better for the kid to go than to remain in that situation where they will not thrive.

One other situation that you might not have considered that definitely fuels the early recruiting is the fact that players change not only for the better but for the worse after their frosh/soph year. In the case where a player is highly sought after early on it is better for them to commit early and lock in scholarship money that might otherwise go to a player that surpasses them down the road. Recruiting is such an inexact science that unfortunately without any sort of regulations prohibiting the coaches from offering 12 year olds scholarships, the process is going to continue as they try to get every edge that they can. 3 or 4 great players can change the course of a program and get a coach that next big job. So they continue to do it even though they all say that they "hate" it. They just don't hate it enough to do something about it or risk losing that big recruit. Hell they don't even want to lose an average recruit!

I am all for a recruiting rule but unfortunately I am in the minority. My suggestion to all when it comes to picking a place to commit to you pick the school then the team then the coach because a lot changes from a players frosh/soph year of high school and her junior/senior year of college.

Good luck to you and your player.

I recently played a round of golf with a current Senior Yale college baseball student athlete. We got into the discussion of college recruiting and transfers. He told me all of his buddies who committed to play baseball at D1 universities back East. They all transferred back home after a year or so. He said, a lot of college coaches are liars and will do anything to get a verbal committment. Once they have you in their program their true personalities appear.

He is a bright young man and shared with me that after he graduates in June he already has a job lined up with the Dodgers in player development with their single A affiliate.

Last edited:
I would disagree with your understanding of what/who is a child psychologist. A family member is not only a school psychologist but also has his own practice. A nurse's aide is not a physician but a school psychologist is licensed the same as a private psychologist and in reality they have to have certain education classes and certificates added on top of their degree, volunteer hours and certification. Please do your research.
To be accurate, a psychologist has a doctoral degree (Ph.D or Psy.D) and has a license through the Board of Psychology. A school psychologist has a masters degree and until recently had just the PPS credential to work in the schools. Now there is a new license through a different licensing board that that is different. There is a difference between a psychologist and a psychotherapist. Psychologists are very fussy about having that title after usually spending 5-6 years and $200,000 to get it.

LMAO, you don’t have a clue. You are in for a rude awakening!

I agree that college is eye opening even for well prepared players. We are talking about young women and sports so the team culture is everything and it is hard to know what it will be like until a player gets there. And as we both found out the team environment can vary greatly.

Another local girl Chandler McDaniel from the class of 2016 transfer from Virginia Tech to Univ of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. She played quite a bit for Virginia Tech so I am curious as to what this transfer was about. I know that a local girl transferred to UDub from Virginia Tech last year from the class of 2015 and she was a starter. The rumor was that it was too Pro-Trump in Blacksburg for her tastes. Growing up in Del Mar will make that type of environment extremely unappealing.
Its pretty obvious why Cha left VT and it was definitely not because it was pro Trump. She was probably in heaven with that aspect. OD is at Wisconsin and they are for all intensive purposes - sisters.

Its pretty obvious why Cha left VT and it was definitely not because it was pro Trump. She was probably in heaven with that aspect. OD is at Wisconsin and they are for all intensive purposes - sisters.

It's not obvious to me and if she was in heaven in Trumpland I hope that her awakening isn't a bad one. I know a player that was a starter for VTech that left because of the hostile Pro-Trump environment. White kids can choose to put their heads in the sand about racial hostility. It's a lot harder for non White players sir and that is just a fact.

Leaving school to be close to a friend is an odd but valid reason to leave for a worse academic school.

I used to believe that college was a place to learn about all sides of all issues from neither a left or right leaning professor. Open discussion as kids learn about the world and are given a chance to make a difference in it. Now not so much.

She wasn't a late signer if you are talking about Cat. She had committed there when she decommitted from Cal. She just didn't announce it until she had gotten in. Stanford doesn't save money for anyone and they are very upfront about what money your player can expect.

Yep. Know her and her dad well. My DD was one of the 4 2017s that decommitted with her......all 4 going to different schools better suited them for them individually. A good example of why the early verbals are difficult. And you are right....you never understand completely what the environment is like until you get there. I think all 4 girls are happy with choices. Good players and good kids.....just difficult to make that decision early in your sophomore year. Not fair for girls or schools.

Yep. Know her and her dad well. My DD was one of the 4 2017s that decommitted with her......all 4 going to different schools better suited them for them individually. A good example of why the early verbals are difficult. And you are right....you never understand completely what the environment is like until you get there. I think all 4 girls are happy with choices. Good players and good kids.....just difficult to make that decision early in your sophomore year. Not fair for girls or schools.

I was surprised to see that potential #1 recruiting class fall apart so spectacularly. Good for all the girls that they figured it out before they headed to school. I like Cal's coach as a person but he does less with more talent than anyone I can think of in the women's game other than maybe US Soccer.

I agree with you that early recruiting is difficult at best and shouldn't be forced upon our young women. Good luck to you and your player and go Bruins!

It's not obvious to me and if she was in heaven in Trumpland I hope that her awakening isn't a bad one. I know a player that was a starter for VTech that left because of the hostile Pro-Trump environment. White kids can choose to put their heads in the sand about racial hostility. It's a lot harder for non White players sir and that is just a fact.

Leaving school to be close to a friend is an odd but valid reason to leave for a worse academic school.

You really think averaging 400 minutes a year is playing quite a bit? She started 3 games out of 17 as a freshman and 0 out of 17 as a sophomore. I think the writing was on the wall and she made a move to be with her step sister and will probably play a ton there.

I used to believe that college was a place to learn about all sides of all issues from neither a left or right leaning professor. Open discussion as kids learn about the world and are given a chance to make a difference in it. Now not so much.

I don’t think anyone is talking about the classroom aspect of it, it’s more about the community, culture and environment outside the classroom.

A bunch of snowflakes with snowflake reasons to switch schools.

Also, has anyone else noticed MAP changed personalities again. Welcome back Amy! I think a couple links to the crap you post about kids to saddleback valley USD would be enlightening to your employer.

To be accurate, a psychologist has a doctoral degree (Ph.D or Psy.D) and has a license through the Board of Psychology. A school psychologist has a masters degree and until recently had just the PPS credential to work in the schools. Now there is a new license through a different licensing board that that is different. There is a difference between a psychologist and a psychotherapist. Psychologists are very fussy about having that title after usually spending 5-6 years and $200,000 to get it.
My family member does have his doctorate and is a school psychologist and has a private practice. What you spend depends on where you were educated.

Back