D1 Women's Soccer Transfers

Good morning, do you think political leaning of those 3 schools could have an affect on were the kids goes?

You mean of those 4 schools? There are conservative and liberal kids at every school. Smart kids know how to focus on winning instead of people's personal choices. Maybe you should learn to look at a persons actions not their words when you are judging character. My grandmother used to say that the devil invented words so that people wouldn't focus on a persons actions when judging them.

The one thing that all the kids at those top schools have in common is that they are driven. Driven to learn, driven to work hard and driven to win.

You mean of those 4 schools? There are conservative and liberal kids at every school. Smart kids know how to focus on winning instead of people's personal choices. Maybe you should learn to look at a persons actions not their words when you are judging character. My grandmother used to say that the devil invented words so that people wouldn't focus on a persons actions when judging them.

The one thing that all the kids at those top schools have in common is that they are driven. Driven to learn, driven to work hard and driven to win.
I think you missed my point, just asking if kids and or parents take that into consideration.

Many of those players are. However, not all of them are academically sound students. When at one of the UCLA camps Amanda had the players in attendance helping with the camp list off their majors (amongst other things) and sociology majors won the day. That being said, it is no doubt extremely difficult for many P5 athletes to balance playing at (and maintaining) a high degree of focus / attention to studies in season. Thank God for academic success programs for these athletes.

Many of those players are. However, not all of them are academically sound students. When at one of the UCLA camps Amanda had the players in attendance helping with the camp list off their majors (amongst other things) and sociology majors won the day. That being said, it is no doubt extremely difficult for many P5 athletes to balance playing at (and maintaining) a high degree of focus / attention to studies in season. Thank God for academic success programs for these athletes.

My daughter and her roommates majors are Cognitive Neuroscience, Biology, Mechanical Engineering and Sociology. 3 of 4 are STEM majors. Just like anything it depends upon the kid. Most aren't sociology majors and even the ones that are will do great. Once upon a time I married a sociology major and now that person is a child psychologist.

It's not that hard to balance it all it just requires commitment, a plan and a support group. All of them get a support group it's the other two that require effort on the student athletes part.

I think you missed my point, just asking if kids and or parents take that into consideration.

I doubt it. People don't say no to Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley and $C because they are liberal California universities. If anything they win because of that. It's a lot easier to be a gay athlete at those schools versus West Coast Bible University aka Pepperdine.

Once upon a time I married a sociology major and now that person is a child psychologist.

You are wrong. Amy Thorne is a school psychologist. Not even close to a child psychologist. It is like claiming a nurse's aide is a physician. It also makes all of her prior posts (before you took over her account, abdull) even more despicable. She insults children on this board while presumably helping them in her day job.

I doubt your ex wife is going to be super happy with your post. You are not very bright.

Pepperdine is a target school for parents who are afraid to let their kids be exposed to real life.
Jealous? Why not go to school in a beautiful place if you can afford it? I know plenty of people that went there for graduate school because of scholarships. They also got in Stanford but did not want to graduate with debt. And if it makes you feel any better most people that live off campus live in Calabasas which is the real world, have to fight bumper to bumper traffic on beautiful days, worry about boulders hitting their cars crossing Malibu Canyon during winter storms, worry about the bacteria level if surfing around the Colony and worst of all have to worry about the bible thumping Church of Christ members.

I doubt it. People don't say no to Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley and $C because they are liberal California universities. If anything they win because of that. It's a lot easier to be a gay athlete at those schools versus West Coast Bible University aka Pepperdine.
Yes people do say no to these schools due to being liberal. I've met plenty of Midwest basketball, football and baseball players that upon visiting a school and seeing 2 guys holding hands or 2 girls kissing did an about face immediately.

Ali's last recruiting class had 5 pro players in it. I think that helped a little. It was a hot mess because he was in over his head. KM is a much better coach and a serious pragmatist because he understands that $C is on par with Stanford and UCLA in terms of athletic department success. He also knows that his athletic director has extremely high expectations so he has become a consistent player in the high end transfer market.

It is what it is. As @NoGoal said few kids are going to choose $C over Stanford or UCLA with all things being equal. They have to offer a ton of money in order to compete. I know that 3 starters on $C's team that have 80% and 100% scholarships. Not to mention that they have several bench players that have 80% or more. Not one player on UCLA is on a full ride (since Pugh left) and only a couple getting 80%. There is no need to because out the door you are talking $29k so if a player gets at least 50% it's under $14k a year. I know that I personally pay less for college than I did for ECNL all but her last year when I didn't have to pay anything. Cal is identical. I also know that several $C players would have gone to UCLA if they had been offered more money or offered at all.
MAP,
If USC is handing out 100% and 80% scholarships to many of its players, doesn't that also mean that a good portion of the roster is receiving very little to no athletic aide? There are only 14 scholarships to be divided up among all the players, so if some are getting full rides many have to be getting next to nothing and as such footing a huge bill to attend USC. Is this how it works?

MAP,
If USC is handing out 100% and 80% scholarships to many of its players, doesn't that also mean that a good portion of the roster is receiving very little to no athletic aide? There are only 14 scholarships to be divided up among all the players, so if some are getting full rides many have to be getting next to nothing and as such footing a huge bill to attend USC. Is this how it works?
Not to reply for MAP, but bingo.

MAP,

It is a very interesting juggling act that is being pulled off by the coaches at $C. They have quite a few players getting little to nothing in terms of athletic aid. There are players on most college teams that are getting little if anything in terms of athletic money. They may get need based money or academic aid if the school offers it but the athletic money is distributed often 3 years in advance. With the 4 year scholarship guarantee that the PAC 12 and Big Ten now have makes only trickier for the $C staff. It helps if you recruit a certain demographic that can afford to plop down $70k a year. Personally once you go past about $20k a year out of pocket for college my eyes roll back in my head and you lose me.

The staff does what they have to do to compete with the other 3 in state PAC 12 schools. I remember when they were recruiting their current best player. She wanted to go to UCLA and they offered her a 50% scholarship. She was the 3rd rated midfielder in her recruiting class and a top 6 or 7 recruit overall. The problem was that UCLA already had the top two midfielders committed so more money wasn't coming. $C gave her a full ride. Another starter on their team was offered a 50% scholarship and told that she would play a different position than she wanted. $C offered 80%+ and told her she could play her preferred position so she went there (they lied and she played the same position UCLA was recruiting her to play). I am not mad at them for doing what they feel that they need to do in order to compete. I have always found the UCLA and Stanford coaching staffs to be straight shooters and everything that they told my daughter has been 100% true.

Good luck to you and your player.

MAP,
MAP,

About 70% of the students at USC receive need based financial aid, so I am sure many of the soccer players also receive financial aid if they do not have an athletic scholarship.

Yes people do say no to these schools due to being liberal. I've met plenty of Midwest basketball, football and baseball players that upon visiting a school and seeing 2 guys holding hands or 2 girls kissing did an about face immediately.

I sure many players from the west coast visit midwest schools and turn around because of the bigotry and bias too. To each his own.

Does it really matter, if it’s a quick fix or not? Your DD has a college cup ring and will be graduating next year, so why is it bothering you?

USC’s tuition at 70K a year puts USC at a disadvantage in the recruiting process vs Stanford, UCLA and Cal. The avergae 50% athletic ship money still requires a family to fork out a 35K tuition per year. If a family is debating verbally committing to USC or Stanford (both private universities)...Stanford will win 99% of the time, if cost of tuition after ship money are equal. 50% ship money at UCLA and CAL will also win out, because their tuition and board is less expensive being public universities. The net net is USC has to offer more $$$ to a potential recruit than the other competing programs and rely on the wealthy recruits who can afford the full tuition to round out their roster. Meaning they will not be as deep as the schools mentioned and why they need the player transfers.
Again, about 70% of the students at USC are on financial aid. If an athlete doesn't have an athletic scholarship they, for the majority, are probably getting need based financial aid.

PorkChops, shouldn’t you be in the DA thread worrying and whining about USSDA dual banding your DD’s 2003 age group with the 2002’s next season? Get use to it, because if your DD plays college soccer it’s quadruple banded!

PorkChops, shouldn’t you be in the DA thread worrying and whining about USSDA dual banding your DD’s 2003 age group with the 2002’s next season? Get use to it, because if your DD plays college soccer it’s quadruple banded!
A lot of people give lip service to honesty and integrity. You obviously don't have an 03 daughter and never attended US soccer presentation for the 03 group. So I get why you don't get it. No problem. I don't get why you even care. Guess what, in five or six years, no one will remember who played where in college this year. In ten years no one will even remember NCAA college cup finals. For the long run it really only matters to your daughter, family and maybe a few friends. What's the saying, "the game lasts 90 minutes, education lasts a lifetime", and I would add "character and honesty last a lifetime. By the way, I don't have concerns where my daughter will play next year but do care for many other 03 girls.

Again, about 70% of the students at USC are on financial aid. If an athlete doesn't have an athletic scholarship they, for the majority, are probably getting need based financial aid.
You don’t know, lmao! I know a player who committed her sophomore year to USC and was offered only book money. Then decommitted and committed to another Pac12 out of state school her Sr year. BTW, her dad is a lawyer.

I know a YNT USC starter who was offered almost a full ride at USC. Her first choice was UCLA, but they were not going to offer her more than 50% there. If her parents qualified for financial aid. I’m sure, she would be on the UCLA roster now.

I also know another USC YNT player who comes from money and she isn’t getting financial aid and not much in the form of an athletic scholarship.

If you can’t contribute anything with facts! You might as well go back to the Girls DA thread where you belong.

Last edited:
A lot of people give lip service to honesty and integrity. You obviously don't have an 03 daughter and never attended US soccer presentation for the 03 group. So I get why you don't get it. No problem. I don't get why you even care. Guess what, in five or six years, no one will remember who played where in college this year. In ten years no one will even remember NCAA college cup finals. For the long run it really only matters to your daughter, family and maybe a few friends. What's the saying, "the game lasts 90 minutes, education lasts a lifetime", and I would add "character and honesty last a lifetime. By the way, I don't have concerns where my daughter will play next year but do care for many other 03 girls.

Someone please cue the tiny violin. Like I posted right above take yourself back to the DA thread where you belong.

Last edited:
Back