College life ...

Since I'm getting disagreement - How much do soccer shoes cost?
I know - they should be free.

To all you parents who dropped your Darlings off this year for their first semester in the service academies congratulations and thank you.

23 years USAR and still going strong.

Go Army

To all you parents who dropped your Darlings off this year for their first semester in the service academies congratulations and thank you.

23 years USAR and still going strong.

Go Army
They played to a 0-0 tie against Long Beach last week 1 week out of BCT.
I love this picture:
upload_2016-8-17_18-19-56.png
USC was a little tougher.

It's a pretty good idea to have your player ready for the beep test and the other stuff that they have them do when they get to college. Again that is assuming that they want to play.

For the class units, yes, and there is a small housing fee. Its not a lot, but I'm hoping her coaches will find it in their budget to cover the costs...

As long as it is reasonable I recommend it. Assuming she is in competition for playing time this year it will most assuredly help. If you don't think she has a shot at contributing this year (backup GK's don't play much in most cases) then it still might help her get ahead in school (which at the end of the day is the most important). It was a lot of hard training in the summer heat but that ocean breeze will mitigate a lot of it.

As long as it is reasonable I recommend it. Assuming she is in competition for playing time this year it will most assuredly help. If you don't think she has a shot at contributing this year (backup GK's don't play much in most cases) then it still might help her get ahead in school (which at the end of the day is the most important). It was a lot of hard training in the summer heat but that ocean breeze will mitigate a lot of it.

I think she has a very strong shot at playing in Fall ;) but of course what do I know I'm just a proud parent.

I think she has a very strong shot at playing in Fall ;) but of course what do I know I'm just a proud parent.

I hear ya. It's hard not to be proud. At the same time being pragmatic and managing expectations is important. I would go by the eyeball test. If you watched enough games including scrimmages and took a good look at the roster it is usually pretty easy to figure out where your player stands in the pecking order. Of course the physical nature of women's college soccer can be very eye opening especially if your player is on the slender side. Some games can be closer to rugby matches than tiki taka possession displays unfortunately.

It must be hard to be a college coach. Head Coaches with a losing track record get fired and have to chase openings. Associate and Assistant Head Coaches are trying to climb the coaching ladder and always moving. It must be hard on their family, especially their kids if they have any.

A few examples:
1. Diego Bocanegra
Was Assistant Coach at Cal State Fullerton (SoCal)
Was Assistant Coach at Notre Dame (Indiana)
Now Head Coach at Houston (Texas)
Moved 3 times in 4 years.

2. Keidane McAlpine
Was Assistant at Auburn (Alabama)
Was Head Coach at Washington St (Washington)
Currently Head Coach at USC (SoCal)
Last 6 years

3. Theresa Romagnolo
Was Associate Head Coach at Stanford (NorCal)
Was Head Coach at Dartmouth (New Hampshire)
Currently Head Coach at Norte Dame (Indiana)
Last 6 years

It must be hard to be a college coach. Head Coaches with a losing track record get fired and have to chase openings. Associate and Assistant Head Coaches are trying to climb the coaching ladder and always moving. It must be hard on their family, especially their kids if they have any.

A few examples:
1. Diego Bocanegra
Was Assistant Coach at Cal State Fullerton (SoCal)
Was Assistant Coach at Notre Dame (Indiana)
Now Head Coach at Houston (Texas)
Moved 3 times in 4 years.

2. Keidane McAlpine
Was Assistant at Auburn (Alabama)
Was Head Coach at Washington St (Washington)
Currently Head Coach at USC (SoCal)
Last 6 years

3. Theresa Romagnolo
Was Associate Head Coach at Stanford (NorCal)
Was Head Coach at Dartmouth (New Hampshire)
Currently Head Coach at Norte Dame (Indiana)
Last 6 years

You better love the game and the interaction with the players if coaching is your career of choice.

Back