College life ...

My other kid. There are soccer balls somewhere in this video I just found today. My son is @11:45 learning how to salute. If you kid is up for it and they want to serve - the Academies should be on a short list. They also pay your kid to be there. Soccer is a great help to getting you in. Athletics of some sort (can you spot the footmall players?) is required.
This video is of the hardest and toughest part - I-Day (In-processing Day). This week they are rolling in the mud, jumping over logs and and shooting - targets.
http://www.usafa.af.mil/News/Video.aspx?videoid=474911

My other kid. There are soccer balls somewhere in this video I just found today. My son is @11:45 learning how to salute. If you kid is up for it and they want to serve - the Academies should be on a short list. They also pay your kid to be there. Soccer is a great help to getting you in. Athletics of some sort (can you spot the footmall players?) is required.
This video is of the hardest and toughest part - I-Day (In-processing Day). This week they are rolling in the mud, jumping over logs and and shooting - targets.
http://www.usafa.af.mil/News/Video.aspx?videoid=474911

That is all a Hollywood production. Those of us who served in the Navy, Marines and Army know that the Air Force Academy and Bootcamp is just like a trip to a 5-star resort with waiters, maids and gourmet food.

All joking aside, congrats on your son getting accepted.

That is all a Hollywood production. Those of us who served in the Navy, Marines and Army know that the Air Force Academy and Bootcamp is just like a trip to a 5-star resort with waiters, maids and gourmet food.

When the Navy builds a new air station, the first building erected is the control tower.

When the Air Force builds a new base, the first building is the Officers Club.

Thank you. Although the physical is a non issue for my kid (same test as Army, Navy). He's been gaining weight and afraid his fitness is going away. It is, but we have a plan for that.
These guys can destroy families and villages remotely with a trigger. The mental/moral/decision making part behind that is pretty sobering.

Good joke:
Top guys decide to get individuals from the fighting forces together to see how they deal with danger. They decide to throw a scorpion in each tent.
-Navy - takes broom and dust pan and sweeps it out of the tent.
-Army - take boot and squishes it. Uses boot to kick it out of tent.
-Marines - picks it up by legs, rips off tail and eats it.
-Air Force - Picks up phone and calls room service and asks why there is a tent in the room.

But they do mud - guess you guys didn't get the shower.
DanielShowerBCT-2sm.jpg

FWIW - I don't value pain for pain sake. I believe both my wife and son do. DD does not, I'm a big baby. I make pain stop by stopping what is painful.
I don't quite get how people are wired a certain way, but I am convinced they are.
This is actually a problem for little Z as he pretty much all his life ignores physical pain. He whines about life - not athletics. He will continue to injure himself when he should shut off. I have seen this in some soccer players and others. All in all I don't think it is a good thing. The self preservation of CR7 being the other extreme - but we even saw a different side of CR7 recently.

FWIW - I don't value pain for pain sake. I believe both my wife and son do. DD does not, I'm a big baby. I make pain stop by stopping what is painful.
I don't quite get how people are wired a certain way, but I am convinced they are.
This is actually a problem for little Z as he pretty much all his life ignores physical pain. He whines about life - not athletics. He will continue to injure himself when he should shut off. I have seen this in some soccer players and others. All in all I don't think it is a good thing.......

Z- Based on that description, your son may have joined the wrong branch.....OORAH!!

Z- Based on that description, your son may have joined the wrong branch.....OORAH!!
Are you a Marine?
But talk to Issa. I think he answered the questions wrong for Army or Navy.
For those that do not know, you do not apply to the academies without a congressional, senator, or VP nomination first which has its own application process. In CA it is very competitive to just get the chance to apply.
But taking it back to this thread - soccer players would do well to look at the service academies. The death rate is low. In peace time (when is that?) lower than not being in an academy. It is still very low. They can't have motor cycles, scooters. The character building is high. The education is great. The mid-career pay is higher than you will find about anywhere else. But, yes they are putting their life on the line, or willing to.

Are you a Marine?
But talk to Issa. I think he answered the questions wrong for Army or Navy.
For those that do not know, you do not apply to the academies without a congressional, senator, or VP nomination first which has its own application process. In CA it is very competitive to just get the chance to apply.
But taking it back to this thread - soccer players would do well to look at the service academies. The death rate is low. In peace time (when is that?) lower than not being in an academy. It is still very low. They can't have motor cycles, scooters. The character building is high. The education is great. The mid-career pay is higher than you will find about anywhere else. But, yes they are putting their life on the line, or willing to.

No, but close brothers of mine who are (OCS/Navy grads w/15yr + many combat deployments) - humbled I am of their service & dedication.

Yes, the Academies are a prestigious, phenomenal option that are very difficult to get into.....of course, with the soccer ticket, moves you to the front of the line.

No, but close brothers of mine who are (OCS/Navy grads w/15yr + many combat deployments) - humbled I am of their service & dedication.

Yes, the Academies are a prestigious, phenomenal option that are very difficult to get into.....of course, with the soccer ticket, moves you to the front of the line.

And the coach doesn't have to worry about a limit on athletic scholarship money.

And the coach doesn't have to worry about a limit on athletic scholarship money.
One of the things I like is it brings back the "purity" of the sport. Actually I have no idea, but I think it is still a year to year commitment. So I think those that do it do it because they want to, not because then have to for their scholarship.

However like some parents insist the kids do something, they have to do something. So unlike a regular DI where no sports means more video time, or more study time - they have to still do something physical. And it can be "worse" (being yelled at). they still have to meet the physical tests (6 min mile ave for guys) so doing the NCAA sport may just be a familiar route.

In general - they don't win in NCAA sports all that much. But seems priorities change quickly.

Last edited:
One of the things I like is it brings back the "purity" of the sport. Actually I have no idea, but I think it is still a year to year commitment. So I think those that do it do it because they want to, not because then have to for their scholarship.

However like some parents insist the kids do something, they have to do something. So unlike a regular DI where no sports means more video time, or more study time - they have to still do something physical. And it can be "worse" (being yelled at). they still have to meet the physical tests (6 min mile ave for guys) so doing the NCAA sport may just be a familiar route.

In general - they don't win in NCAA sports all that much. But seems priorities change quickly.

I don't think you understood my comment.

Maybe not. I have become accustom to us talking past each other. Certainly as recent as yesterday something too complicated for you was not for others.
Please explain again so I may understand it.

Maybe not. I have become accustom to us talking past each other. Certainly as recent as yesterday something too complicated for you was not for others.
Please explain again so I may understand it.

No one at the Service Academies gets an athletic scholarship.

No one at the Service Academies gets an athletic scholarship.

This is a silly comment, don't you think? There is no scholarships in service academies. Its the taxpayers funds that pay for prepping future officers - full ride for everyone accepted.

Same as Ivy's. That was my purity of sport comment. They both play for other than money.
But in both soccer can help get you in.

Endowments pay for financial aide at Ivys and is not a full ride for everyone. Only if the household income, after adjustments, are lower than $60k/yr. All other are scaled to some subsidies up to around $200K/yr where it not supported.

As for soccer/sports helping, yes some but its, I believe based on what I'm seeing, is an over generalization to state that soccer + bottom 25 percentile in the school's accepted test scores will get you in. Maybe its different on the girls side but for the boys side, any of these non-revenue generating sports have harder time.

As for title IX helping the girls and hurting the boys, Z, I agree. I think the number of scholarships per sports should be the same. D1 girls soccer is, I think, 13 whereas boys are 9.9, as an example....

This is a silly comment, don't you think? There is no scholarships in service academies. Its the taxpayers funds that pay for prepping future officers - full ride for everyone accepted.

Endowments pay for financial aide at Ivys and is not a full ride for everyone. Only if the household income, after adjustments, are lower than $60k/yr. All other are scaled to some subsidies up to around $200K/yr where it not supported.

As for soccer/sports helping, yes some but its, I believe based on what I'm seeing, is an over generalization to state that soccer + bottom 25 percentile in the school's accepted test scores will get you in. Maybe its different on the girls side but for the boys side, any of these non-revenue generating sports have harder time.

As for title IX helping the girls and hurting the boys, Z, I agree. I think the number of scholarships per sports should be the same. D1 girls soccer is, I think, 13 whereas boys are 9.9, as an example....

The reason for my "no athletic scholarships" comment was a followup to my comment that the coaches don't have to worry about the athletic scholarship budget. In a typical school, if a player can't keep his spot on the roster, his scholarship is not offered the next year, so they often drop out or transfer to a school that offers a better fit. At the service academies, the players that don't make the roster see no financial impact whatsoever.

Title IX does not require that womens' soccer get more scholarship-equivalents than mens' soccer. The numbers are set by the Presidents' Committee that runs D1. Those are the numbers that a majority of the schools are willing to support.

In practical terms, if the President's Committee makes a recommendations, who's really going to go against it? There are plenty of politics in sports and in NCAA. It is, practically, a rule as enforced by NCAA.

And why does the committee favor more for girls than boys? Again, there is a bias. I realize it is what it is but it is very affirmative action-like implementation....

In practical terms, if the President's Committee makes a recommendations, who's really going to go against it? There are plenty of politics in sports and in NCAA. It is, practically, a rule as enforced by NCAA.

And why does the committee favor more for girls than boys? Again, there is a bias. I realize it is what it is but it is very affirmative action-like implementation....

The Presidents' Committee doesn't make recommendations - they make the rules.

Both mens' and womens' soccer scholarship numbers are too low for a reasonable-sized team roster. The big elephant in the room is the 85 scholarships the big schools hand out for football. Title IX requires a reasonable effort at balancing that, so you see all kinds of otherwise nonsensical behavior by schools, like cancelling a long-lived wrestling program and starting women's crew teams in the middle of the prairies.

Technically, it's not affirmative action - it's equality. Some sports are strictly equal (ice hockey - 18 for both men and women) or slightly favor the men (lacrosse - 12.6 for men, 12 for women). The overall intent is to provide equal opportunities for men and women, based on relative enrollment and interest.

Like I said, it is what it is.

Tell me that it makes sense to provide 18 for Ice Hockey, when the total player on the ice is half of soccer. I guess hockey is considered revenue generating sports...

As for not being "equal", I cannot see how that would be when one gender has a higher quota than another in the same sport. It should be the same.

Back