College life ...

Like I said, it is what it is.

Tell me that it makes sense to provide 18 for Ice Hockey, when the total player on the ice is half of soccer. I guess hockey is considered revenue generating sports...

As for not being "equal", I cannot see how that would be when one gender has a higher quota than another in the same sport. It should be the same.

I guess you haven't seen much ice hockey. Most games involve a goalkeeper, three lines and two or three set of defenders, since substitutions are usually performed on the fly.

What schools have full-up 85-scholarship womens football teams?

.....What schools have full-up 85-scholarship womens football teams?

This is an asinine comment. The football revenue funds much of non-revenue generating sports in college athletic programs. It is an outlier and should not be used to "even-up" the gender scholarship count.

If we take your mentality, we should just fund men's sports from football revenue...

I think you just like to banter to pass the time....

This is an asinine comment. The football revenue funds much of non-revenue generating sports in college athletic programs. It is an outlier and should not be used to "even-up" the gender scholarship count.

If we take your mentality, we should just fund men's sports from football revenue...

If your stated goal is to have equal scholarships for boys and girls then it makes sense to either reduce the number of scholarships for football or increase the number of scholarships for girls across sports. You can't have it both ways.

Of course it's asinine. The situation is asinine - the big schools start with 85 scholarships handed out to men, by far the most of any sport, and then try to balance that with little accommodations here and there, or outright things such as sponsoring a sport only for women. For example - NCAA has a complete DI program for womens crew, including a national championship tournament, but nothing for men.

... state that soccer + bottom 25 percentile in the school's accepted test scores will get you in. Maybe its different on the girls side but for the boys side, any of these non-revenue generating sports have harder time.
So I'm clear. soccer = coach has recruited you. That may mean money, it may mean nothing. But they will tell Admin they want you and they are not over their budget for how many get in. For that athlete - they are in - if they are also a 25%er or more. Sometimes less.
As for title IX helping the girls and hurting the boys, Z, I agree. I think the number of scholarships per sports should be the same. D1 girls soccer is, I think, 13 whereas boys are 9.9, as an example....
There are 2X as many soccer scholarships for women as for men allowed nationally by the NCAA. More teams and more spots per team.
For rowing it is in the 20s for girls 0 for guys.
For football it is (*I recall*) 108 - girl or guy.

Last edited:
o they often drop out or transfer to a school that offers a better fit. At the service academies, the players that don't make the roster see no financial impact whatsoever.
Like I said, it is what it is.

Tell me that it makes sense to provide 18 for Ice Hockey, when the total player on the ice is half of soccer. I guess hockey is considered revenue generating sports...

As for not being "equal", I cannot see how that would be when one gender has a higher quota than another in the same sport. It should be the same.
I don't like any of it. But demand is totally different based on sport and gender. I expect those in some sports train twice as long/or hard as others. It is really very hard to make it fair IMO. Rowing is an easy full ride for girls. It is a hard sport, but they often don't fill rosters. Same I hear for woman's golf.

If your stated goal is to have equal scholarships for boys and girls then it makes sense to either reduce the number of scholarships for football or increase the number of scholarships for girls across sports. You can't have it both ways.

I have seen proposals that the few schools that actually turn a profit with football could start an organization independent from NCAA just to play "collegiate" football. The FBS schools are heading that way anyway.

So I'm clear. soccer = coach has recruited you. That may mean money, it may mean nothing. But they will tell Admin they want you and they are not over their budget for how many get in. For that athlete - they are in - if they are also a 25%er or more. Sometimes less.
There are 2X as many scholarships for women as for men allowed nationally by the NCAA. More teams and more spots per team.
For rowing it is in the 20s for girls 0 for guys.
For football it is (*I recall*) 108 - girl or guy.

Where do you get the 2X number from?

Where do you get the 2X number from?
That was a miss type. 2X for DI soccer.
Almost exactly 2X allowed (not all are funded).
I am looking at opportunity. I do believe in the case of soccer, more girls play.
Women's teams 333DIX13 (or is it 14) = 4,329
Men's teams 206X9.9 = 2,039
DII offers 9.9 for girls.

The reason for my "no athletic scholarships" comment was a followup to my comment that the coaches don't have to worry about the athletic scholarship budget. In a typical school, if a player can't keep his spot on the roster, his scholarship is not offered the next year, so they often drop out or transfer to a school that offers a better fit. At the service academies, the players that don't make the roster see no financial impact whatsoever....
Very freeing...
About 4 years ago I noticed my kid was a real good shot with his AirSoft gun. I called the rifle coaches for the USAFA coach and the Navy and said my son was a real good shot - could you get him in. Later I called the rowing coach at the Navy and said my son was a real good engine - could you get him in. No real bites from that. Soccer would have worked IMO. I did that to another school (Ivy) and it was "come on over". Each coach / program is different. In the end it was he didn't want to shoot as a sport and didn't want to row. He wanted to cycle.

Now - that he is there - he is a really good shot. I'm curious how this will play out as to your point - nothing matters for money. So will he want to shoot or cycle. Cycling is club and certainly 2nd class. Rowing is not there. Rifle is an NCAA sport and pretty respected. They are also in great shape and control of mind and body to shoot calm, and between heart beats.

What makes a Service Academy and Ivy "pure" is the choice does not affect much at all. It is a choice based on what they want to do.

Very freeing...
About 4 years ago I noticed my kid was a real good shot with his AirSoft gun. I called the rifle coaches for the USAFA coach and the Navy and said my son was a real good shot - could you get him in. Later I called the rowing coach at the Navy and said my son was a real good engine - could you get him in. No real bites from that. Soccer would have worked IMO. I did that to another school (Ivy) and it was "come on over". Each coach / program is different. In the end it was he didn't want to shoot as a sport and didn't want to row. He wanted to cycle.

Now - that he is there - he is a really good shot. I'm curious how this will play out as to your point - nothing matters for money. So will he want to shoot or cycle. Cycling is club and certainly 2nd class. Rowing is not there. Rifle is an NCAA sport and pretty respected. They are also in great shape and control of mind and body to shoot calm, and between heart beats.

What makes a Service Academy and Ivy "pure" is the choice does not affect much at all. It is a choice based on what they want to do.

Accuracy with an airsoft gun?

Accuracy with an airsoft gun?

Yes - very accurate like bottom left.

His first and only go at the shooting range he was also precise and grouped them very well like top right - but was less accurate. Borrowed gun.

precision_accuracy.png

Who wastes the time to like their own posts? You are pathetic.

What the heck is Kangaroo leather and why do you put it on your feet?
I can put a full beer in a hollow tusk, I get that...
It is the skin of a Kangaroo and made into leather, then a shoe is both supporting and flexible and was the most popular material - for a while.

Back