College life ...

Zoro

SILVER ELITE
This is similar to the tip thread but more about life of your kids post SoCal life. We might keep the Tip thread about pre college tips. The word "soccer" (or equivalent) should be someplace in the post, or at least implied. Pictures with a ball are good.

I'll go:
DD continues to play, just not varsity anymore. She played in Italy, NYC, and four leagues at school the last two years. I just recently bought new Adidas Copas from Russia (banned in CA) as she's wearing out shoes. No longer playing GK. She also coaches mini people. I posted before the Delete that she is playing more than ever. Just - for no money.
This summer interning in Dallas:
13769560_1221013987929007_1172891201271856712_n.jpg

DD played a couple small sided pick up games a week until practices started two weeks ago. Now she is just playing the Friday evening pickup indoor game at The Catalyst Training Center in San Diego. DD wears the Nike Tiempo VI Pro (Kangaroo leather). We have a friend who travels to Toronto for business every couple of months and he pick up new ones when she needs them about every 3-4 months. They are also about $60 cheaper in Canada for some reason. This whole Kangaroo leather ban in California is BS. I have spent enough time in Australia to know that kangaroos are a nuisance to the locals. Once outside the cities you will see a dead one on the side of the road every couple of miles.

Last edited:
This is similar to the tip thread but more about life of your kids post SoCal life. We might keep the Tip thread about pre college tips. The word "soccer" (or equivalent) should be someplace in the post, or at least implied. Pictures with a ball are good.

I'll go:
DD continues to play, just not varsity anymore. She played in Italy, NYC, and four leagues at school the last two years. I just recently bought new Adidas Copas from Russia (banned in CA) as she's wearing out shoes. No longer playing GK. She also coaches mini people. I posted before the Delete that she is playing more than ever. Just - for no money.
This summer interning in Dallas:

Why did she stop playing varsity?

My player is loving college life. She is a little bored because all that is around right now are in her words, "foreign students and creepy football players," but she is liking her summer session classes and working out and hanging out with her new team. Camp starts for them on Tuesday so she is super excited. She has very high expectations for herself and the team this year so it is fun to see.

Curious if anyone can compare/contrast the level of commitment, soccer wise, between D1, D2, and D3? My DD was recently scouted by Pacific (D1), which is a solid academic school and she's not even remotely interested. She said that she doesn't want soccer to be her main focus in college. She wants to focus on her academics and getting prepared for a real life job that pays good money after graduating. She also said she wants to have time to enjoy the college experience.

Is her perception that soccer at the D1 level is huge commitment and is the primary focus even over academics correct? How much time does college soccer at the D1 level really consume? Is there time outside of soccer to have fun doing other things, like study abroad, etc.?

Curious if anyone can compare/contrast the level of commitment, soccer wise, between D1, D2, and D3? My DD was recently scouted by Pacific (D1), which is a solid academic school and she's not even remotely interested. She said that she doesn't want soccer to be her main focus in college. She wants to focus on her academics and getting prepared for a real life job that pays good money after graduating. She also said she wants to have time to enjoy the college experience.

Is her perception that soccer at the D1 level is huge commitment and is the primary focus even over academics correct? How much time does college soccer at the D1 level really consume? Is there time outside of soccer to have fun doing other things, like study abroad, etc.?
D1 is a full-time commitment from mid-August to Mid-November (and later if you're lucky) and a part-time commitment the rest of the year. D2 is a lot like D1 but with a lower budget, so you get things like sharing coaches and travel schedule between men and women. D3 is all over the map, depending on the school and the conference they play in.

Why did she stop playing varsity?
Simple answer core class conflicts.
Longer answer.
I may have mentioned she always wanted to be an architect. Notre Dame was chosen for that and the goal was to use soccer to get her in.
We knew she would have to spend a year in Europe. We disclosed that to the coach 2 years before joining.
What we didn't know is that her sophomore year she would have studio (lab time) that conflicted with soccer practice and it was intense. Part of that was DD skipped the calc classes and it was not really easy to reschedule with that major AND do the Italy year (whole year).
Also ND had just come off winning College Cup when they recruited DD and that had some very good players and the intensity was all about getting another one. It was about 5:1 practice vs games (fun). They won the Big East - and DD treated it like a participation trophy. As parent/advisers/funders it was pretty clear doing both would be too much, soccer was a JOB - and we had that class conflict.
She had a meeting with coach and assistant coach and left with blessing and still offer of coming back and support if she played.
When she came back from Italy of course her interest was lower. ND had a new coach and while I think the financial agreements would have been honored - she was wound up on her career. She went to team banquette the next year (a little weird IMO) and best friends are still on the team. As mentioned - she plays a whole bunch now. She says her co-rec team (two girls) and some aged out NCAA champ guys are on it and it is the best team she's ever been on. The downside of course is financial aid/soccer money. DD was not going to get a full ride anyway but it mattered. So I'm a little sore over it but in the end it was the correct choice. She has been extremely successful in what she was sent there to do.

Last edited:

If the school is on a quarter vs semester system then Euro trips may not conflict with soccer. Semester systems do. Year study programs of course do.
There are over 300 DI woman's programs.
IMO it is more about where that school is in ranking. I expect a top DII/DIII is more intense than a bottom half DI. There are about 10-20 schools that think they can make the final four. That becomes their bar. They do every trick in the book to suck up player time. Trick because NCAA limits time, but they didn't say a kid might not also be running on their own, or a nutritionist having them do food logs etc. So it can be much more intrusive than that 20 hours/week. Then the level of players also affects the intensity. So in those soccer serious schools there is really little extra time and many kids chose easier majors. But get out of that batch and there are many less intense. Still some schools set the bar as making the tournament. So it depends.

It depends upon the school. Mine has about 4 hours a day of soccer/working out, another 4 of school and plenty of time for other things. They are a D1 program in a power 5 conference with an expectation of making the college cup every year so soccer is a big deal at the school, however, it is also a top 25 academic school so grades are part of the expectation too. She has complained that she gets bored although it is summer session so I know that will not be the case come September.

When we were advising our player we told her to pick a school that she would be happy at if soccer ended tomorrow or if she never saw the field. She is happy so far and love the coaching staff, her recruiting class, the veterans, the school and the city. Have your little one pick the school first and she will never regret it.

This is going to be a really stupid question but I have to ask....what does DD stand for? I'm sorry in advance...I feel like I should know..but I don't. Help1 :eek:

are you sure it doesn't stand for Demanding Diva...

I seem to recall this exact subject of what DD stands for in the old forum.....

That is what is nice about deleting a forum every 5 years or so. Gives us something new, that is really old, to talk about.

So last year - her 4th year (she is on a 5 year program) we went to visit. I think this was to see the Navy game. This is club soccer. I think the school pays for kits and fuel. The club soccer is pretty good. Not varsity, but good.

Anyway club vs Butler game, then we went to studio and she showed us stuff and worked an hour and went and played the 2nd game. She was a bit bummed they were short on keepers and she couldn't show us her forward skills - so that is her, in goal again.

Totally kick back. The morning game a bunch of guys came out and did a BBQ breakfast, with the Irish drink/s.

So last year - her 4th year (she is on a 5 year program) we went to visit. I think this was to see the Navy game. This is club soccer. I think the school pays for kits and fuel. The club soccer is pretty good. Not varsity, but good.

Anyway club vs Butler game, then we went to studio and she showed us stuff and worked an hour and went and played the 2nd game. She was a bit bummed they were short on keepers and she couldn't show us her forward skills - so that is her, in goal again.

Totally kick back. The morning game a bunch of guys came out and did a BBQ breakfast, with the Irish drink/s.
Very cool Z.

DD plays a couple was playing a couple small sided pick up games a week until practices started two weeks ago. Now she is just playing the Friday evening pickup indoor game at The Catalyst Training Center in San Diego. DD wears the Nike Tiempo VI Pro (Kangaroo leather). We have a friend who travels to Toronto for business every couple of months and he pick up new ones when she needs them about every 3-4 months. They are also about $60 cheaper in Canada for some reason. This whole Kangaroo leather ban in California is BS. I have spent enough time in Australia to know that kangaroos are a nuisance to the locals. Once outside the cities you will see a dead one on the side of the road every couple of miles.
Surfref,
The Kangaroo ban is because of their ivory tusks.
If you've noticed, none of the road kills have ivory tusks.
That's because the poachers remove those tusks....therefore the ban.
:cool:

My son did some research before I got him his K shoes (I went on a K buying spree).

Apparently as they are free range Ks sometimes the pregnant ones get shot and the joeys also do not get to live.

You can use that as a reason for factory farming.

Back