College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

You really think "the poorest parents are spending 5-12k on soccer"?HOW? what poor people do you know, that also have kids in club soccer? Who do you personally know?

LOL you’re as ignorant as they come. point was they find a way. Poor parents can get financial aid and spend weekends volunteering, I know of several. Or they join a Mexican league, whatever. Point is when they want it, they make it happen. It’s no different with academic achievement.

omg all I got was a head start in the race, why can't everyone else catch up“

- it’s not about catching up, it’s about making progress. Why should an underperforming kid get a spot at a top school just because he was poor? Should we have an extra set of bigger goals for players who can’t afford private’s too?

“Why not just distribute the money to all schools so that they can have the resources from the jump? Oh no, you want poor people to come beg your ass so you can then go back and brag to your friends that you "totally helped those poor kids, and you're so totally gracious".

Um... isn’t distributing money to all schools evenly the same thing? You do realize that the money to schools comes from taxes, right? Poor families contribute basically zero in income taxes after credits and deductions, so all/most money allocated to their schools come from wealthy families. So yeah, when you’re asking for more funding and resources for your schools, you’re begging my ass for money because you and your neighbors can’t pay for it yourself. When you rely on gov services, like WIC or Medicare, that’s money I earned that’s paying for it. I’d be more than happy for you to pay for it your own damn self... but you can’t and educating your ass is our only hope so you can actually contribute to society and have a better life. The other option is I have to pay for your food stamps the rest of your life or support your sorry ass in jail. Believe me, nobody wants you to be poor or uneducated there is absolutely zero incentive.

Ever think Dookie, you’re the privileged one who is getting a free education until 18 on everyone else’s dime... And now you want some bonus pts on your SATs too? Who’s the entitled one now?!?

You're an idiot. Full stop. soooooo every other child has the "luxury" to screw around and make mistakes, but a poor child needs to be perfect. A poor child can just change their mindset, and then they will change their entire life huh? It's just that easy huh? Damn why has no one hired you to just fix it? Stupid poor people, if they would just listen to you, their life would be perfect!

And this is exactly why the poor stay poor... no sympathy for you my friend.

Come on. Do I need to spell it out for you? Privilege doesn't mean you dont have to work hard. privilege means that when you DO work hard, and are, say ready to buy a home, that you don't get directed to 3 "acceptable" neighborhoods in a city;
You can call up any realtor to see a home. Realtors have an incentive to sell that home because they get commission. They nor the person selling the home cares who buys it so long as they get top dollar. The only reason a realtor wouldn’t take you to see a home or neighborhood is because they know you can’t afford it and it’s a waste of their time. A realtor will take a wealthier person to see other neighborhoods because they know they can afford it in both cases they want to sell the highest priced home they can.

or worse, automatically offered a higher interest rate on your mortgage.

Your interest rate is based on your credit score and points paid. If you have bad credit or low income, you will have a higher interest rate because you’re at higher risk of default. Sure, banks want to charge as high a rate as possible, but the rates are published and the lender wants your business because that’s how they make money. Beware, some Realtors may direct you to lenders with higher rates because they’re getting a kickback. Be sure to educate yourself on the different types of loans so you don’t get into a bad situation. They are designed for different purposes. If you’re unhappy with one, look elsewhere. Many applications are online so it’s not as easy to discover race unless you have an ethnic name and personally I’ve found aimloan.com has pretty good rates.

its when a white man who shoots up an entire church in South Carolina or San Antonio is taken into custody ALIVE, but a black man selling illegal cigarettes is choked to death on a sidewalk.
I’ve watched a lot of these bodycam videos and usually it’s pretty obvious, at least to me, where the person who got shot went wrong. You have to look at the entire video in context. every situation is different but a lot of times the difference is whether the person is resisting arrest or surrenders voluntarily. I’ve been pulled over and profiled before. It’s infuriating. But then, I see some of the knuckleheads out there and I don’t blame em.

Do you need ME to continue breaking it down?

FYI, I will call EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU OUT. this is NOT 1950, 60, 70, or 80. No more getting to say random, racist, whoa is me crap in peace. The only safe place for you to spew your hatred is at home alone with your other friends. Read. Learn. Try to see that it's not all about you.

I will be happy to return the favor and call you out as well... if you’re gonna give it, you better be able to take it. between the two of us, seems like you’re certainly the one with the hate all built up. might want to take your own advice on it not being about you and your woe is me crap. You made your choices in life. (Btw, it’s not spelled whoa)...

You're not a racist, you've just convinced yourself that your situation was the worse it can get and since you were able to pull yourself into a better financial life, you expect that others should too. What you fail to see, is that you didn't have it as bad as many people out there. As a friend of mine once said...I thought I had it bad until I knew your story. I told him, I'm one of the luckier people I know.

As for your argument - it's flawed bc you're not willing to look at the finances , WE (liberals, conservatives and moderates) as a country use to fight illegal immigration. That money - could be spent helping illegal immigrants, which would make us more humane and follow the teachings of Christ. Look at Europe...why do you think an open border method was created with the European Union? They realized they were spending a lot of money trying to keep people out when the net financial benefit would be better if they help make it easier for people to move around.
A lot of illegal immigrants work and pay taxes as they generally use other people's social security numbers, but are not able to collect a tax refund from the number they use bc it's illegal. A lot of illegal immigrants spend money on food, housing, clothes, etc...putting money into our government with sales tax, putting money into US citizen landlords, pay for jobs in clothes manufacturing, etc.... Illegal immigrants do not utilize benefits and are not drain resources from the poor communities bc they can't qualify for those programs. Take a look at the states and counties that utilize the most federal assistance...they're red states.

As for the name calling - don't call someone's opinion asinine if you want to debate issues rationally. This whole country needs to stop calling each other liberals and conservatives as if they're bad words or insulting words. We have different ways of looking at how to solve the same issues and instead of working together, we choose to fight each other to the death. Watch our kids on the soccer pitch...we tell them to work with each other as a team bc each player has their own abilities and areas to cover, but outside of soccer, we set ourselves up as opposing forces. We're not. We're a team. Liberals are attackers and go full force to try to score, conservatives want to protect the goal more, and moderates are our midfielders.

The media is just representative of the US as a country what we want to see on TV. They do it for ratings and money. Do not blame the media for anything, blame ourselves - take responsibility. Currently we are all the media bc we choose to voice our opinion on a public forum, even with our thumbs up and thumbs down.
Thanks for making our point.
You think the EU is a success?
Worst post ever.

You really think "the poorest parents are spending 5-12k on soccer"?HOW? what poor people do you know, that also have kids in club soccer? Who do you personally know? "Wish you could move but can't afford to? Make better decisions?" You, are seriously what is wrong with this country. Head up your butt, "omg all I got was a head start in the race, why can't everyone else catch up" STUPID. The fact that a FEW make it out of poverty and are able to transcend is not something to brag about. " Go to a wealthy school and ask the parents to buy you books"? Seriously? Why not just distribute the money to all schools so that they can have the resources from the jump? Oh no, you want poor people to come beg your ass so you can then go back and brag to your friends that you "totally helped those poor kids, and you're so totally gracious". As one of the richest nations in the world the US should be ASHAMED that our educational system has such huge disparities. But no, we have people like you who continue to look the other way and take it for granted that since YOU'RE ok, and YOUR KIDS are ok, screw everyone else. GFYS.
You are the 53%. Idiot. I'm blocking your dumb ass, so don't bother responding.
And @Sheriff Joe affirmative action isn't just for black people. I'm blocking your dumb ass too. God forbid your precious snowflakes have to actually compete on a level playing field. WHATEVER WILL THEY DO when the poor folk, and the brown folk, and all the other folk who don't automatically get the benefit of the doubt like your snowflakes do, get to start at the same point and run the same race.
And we're the snowflakes?
Back to your safe space.
MAGA.

You're an idiot. Full stop. soooooo every other child has the "luxury" to screw around and make mistakes, but a poor child needs to be perfect. A poor child can just change their mindset, and then they will change their entire life huh? It's just that easy huh? Damn why has no one hired you to just fix it? Stupid poor people, if they would just listen to you, their life would be perfect!
I thought you were blocking SM?

Couldn’t agree more. In fact, the adversity score is sooo far down the wrong road. It solves nothing and has the potential to make racism and discrimination worse.

By saying we need to give the poor, black, and Latino kids more points, it essentially says regardless of how hard they work, no matter what, they will never score as well as the whites, Asians and middle class. To argue that poverty makes it impossible, the fact that Asians still do well proves otherwise and implies that blacks and Latinos are genetically disadvantaged. This is racism plain and simple and it’s a lie.

Just like soccer... if you’re on a bad team with a bad coach, sure, it’s going to make it harder to develop, but if you have the talent and want to compete and keep up, it just means you’re going to have to train on your own, find other opportunities to play, and find a way to surround yourself with like minded players who can challenge you. If you do nothing but blame your situation and don’t get better, you’ve got no one to blame but yourself. Academics is no different.

to come full circle with the original topic, like the scam, yes, the sad reality in life is there are coaches out there who will take players not because they’re the best players but because the kids parents are paying for private’s or they made a donation to the club, etc... in rare cases the coach is flat out getting kickbacks. but those cases are limited to a few and is overall noise - ending this will only improve your situation if you’re on the bubble - and you shouldn’t be training just to be on the bubble anyway.

And just what is that "proper perspective"?

The last time I looked, we don't live in a country that predetermine person's place in society.

Because as a college admissions administrator you are trying to asses the student's potential and capacity. Let me put it in a way that I think everybody on this board can relate to.

Instead of a college admissions administrator, lets say you are a college soccer coach looking for recruits. You get two "resumes" and each has the exact same qualifications. I play ECNL, I'm the 2nd best player on my team, I made ODP, my team is ranked 2nd in my state, I'm the 2nd ranked player in my state, I made 1st team all league 4 years straight, etc. etc.

As a college soccer coach I want to know which state you play in, what team, what ECNL league, what high school league, etc. That is all that the adversity score is doing! All it tells is you where that "soccer player" comes from. Because if I have all those same credentials from two players and one is from SoCal and one is from Montana, guess what, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PLAYER! 99% of the time (maybe a little lower), the player from SoCal is going to be BETTER. So not all scores are the same.

In my previous post I said a 1050 SAT score from Bill Gates son is an utter disaster while a 1050 score from an inner city first generation Latino whose first language was Spanish was a very good score (also probably a good/decent score for a rural white kid from Mississippi). In this scenario, the Montana player is Bill Gate's son (i.e. much easier for a Montana player to have those accolades than a SoCal player, just as Bill Gate's son should be able to roll out of bed and score a 1050). Similarly, the inner city kid is the SoCal kid where it is much harder to achieve that score and have those soccer accolades.

And yes, I will take the SoCal kid and inner city kid, all day every day. They are not the same soccer player or student. The ceiling on both these kids is much higher than the others. Are there exceptions, of course, but if I'm a betting man . . . .

Supermodel 56, you want an intellectually honest discussion on immigration, cool, I'll be posting later. But let me leave you with one question to ponder, you point out all the costs of illegal immigration (economically speaking), and that's fine, because surely there is a cost, but what are the economic benefits, if any? Everybody points to the costs because they are perhaps easiest to calculate (welfare, food stamps, medical, etc.), but again what are the economic benefits? There are tow sides to the ledger, red and black.

It's like pointing to the rocket and saying "look at that big plume of smoke, those emissions are horrible for the environment . . . . " What they forgot to mention is that the rocket got somebody to the moon. What country had "open borders" till 1923 and became the richest country in the world? Which state has the highest rate of illegal immigration (for decades upon decades) and is 5th richest country in the world (if it were a country) and the richest state in the United States by a country mile? And guess which states are the next richest (hint they all have high rates of illegal immigration)? Scoreboard my friend, scoreboard!

Because as a college admissions administrator you are trying to asses the student's potential and capacity. Let me put it in a way that I think everybody on this board can relate to.

Instead of a college admissions administrator, lets say you are a college soccer coach looking for recruits. You get two "resumes" and each has the exact same qualifications. I play ECNL, I'm the 2nd best player on my team, I made ODP, my team is ranked 2nd in my state, I'm the 2nd ranked player in my state, I made 1st team all league 4 years straight, etc. etc.

As a college soccer coach I want to know which state you play in, what team, what ECNL league, what high school league, etc. That is all that the adversity score is doing! All it tells is you where that "soccer player" comes from. Because if I have all those same credentials from two players and one is from SoCal and one is from Montana, guess what, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PLAYER! 99% of the time (maybe a little lower), the player from SoCal is going to be BETTER. So not all scores are the same.

In my previous post I said a 1050 SAT score from Bill Gates son is an utter disaster while a 1050 score from an inner city first generation Latino whose first language was Spanish was a very good score (also probably a good/decent score for a rural white kid from Mississippi). In this scenario, the Montana player is Bill Gate's son (i.e. much easier for a Montana player to have those accolades than a SoCal player, just as Bill Gate's son should be able to roll out of bed and score a 1050). Similarly, the inner city kid is the SoCal kid where it is much harder to achieve that score and have those soccer accolades.

And yes, I will take the SoCal kid and inner city kid, all day every day. They are not the same soccer player or student. The ceiling on both these kids is much higher than the others. Are there exceptions, of course, but if I'm a betting man . . . .

Supermodel 56, you want an intellectually honest discussion on immigration, cool, I'll be posting later. But let me leave you with one question to ponder, you point out all the costs of illegal immigration (economically speaking), and that's fine, because surely there is a cost, but what are the economic benefits, if any? Everybody points to the costs because they are perhaps easiest to calculate (welfare, food stamps, medical, etc.), but again what are the economic benefits? There are tow sides to the ledger, red and black.

It's like pointing to the rocket and saying "look at that big plume of smoke, those emissions are horrible for the environment . . . . " What they forgot to mention is that the rocket got somebody to the moon. What country had "open borders" till 1923 and became the richest country in the world? Which state has the highest rate of illegal immigration (for decades upon decades) and is 5th richest country in the world (if it were a country) and the richest state in the United States by a country mile? And guess which states are the next richest (hint they all have high rates of illegal immigration)? Scoreboard my friend, scoreboard!
The negatives of illegals far out weigh the positives.
We can't even take care of our own citizens, just look at the homeless in LA and Frisco. Ca is a disaster and you can blame the libs for that.

We can't even take care of our own citizens, just look at the homeless in LA and Frisco. Ca is a disaster and you can blame the libs for that.

So you’re saying that economically speaking it’s a net negative? If that was the case, we would have been bankrupt a long time ago and we certainly wouldn’t have moved up to be the 5th largest economic power in the world.

Notice I’m only speaking in economic terms, because all other issues you may have with illegal immigration are certainly subjective.

So you’re saying that economically speaking it’s a net negative? If that was the case, we would have been bankrupt a long time ago and we certainly wouldn’t have moved up to be the 5th largest economic power in the world.

Notice I’m only speaking in economic terms, because all other issues you may have with illegal immigration are certainly subjective.

Overlooked benefits: the cost of our produce and other agg products, the cost of our dinners when we eat out, the cost of our lodging when we stay in any of these places for soccer tournaments and showcases, the cost of construction if we are able to build or remodel our home, the cost of caring for our little ones so that we can go to our own jobs, etc. Obviously, not every picker is an undocumented worker but the presence of undocumented workers impacts the salaries that the business owners are willing to pay and that keeps the cost of a head of lettuce or those tomatoes much lower than they would otherwise be, just like childcare costs for me were way higher b/c there were not as many undocumented caregivers than the costs for my sister-in-law who lives in an area with an entire industry of undocumented babysitters. Other overlooked benefits are the sales taxes that those folks are paying, just everyone else, when they buy their TP, soap, plastic bags, shirts, jeans, gas, etc. Do the social programming costs outweigh these benefits? Is there a comprehensive study on the true - not just direct but ascertainable indirect - economic costs/benefits of undocumented workers? Some are making pretty definitive assertions about "costs" - not that I don't believe you but I'd love to see the sources of those costs (in a rigorous study, not an op-ed piece, no matter what side of the position you are on).

You complain about illegals, and your argument is about the homeless.

Coocoo.

I wonder what Kate Steinle thinks about that?

Overlooked benefits: the cost of our produce and other agg products, the cost of our dinners when we eat out, the cost of our lodging when we stay in any of these places for soccer tournaments and showcases, the cost of construction if we are able to build or remodel our home, the cost of caring for our little ones so that we can go to our own jobs, etc. Obviously, not every picker is an undocumented worker but the presence of undocumented workers impacts the salaries that the business owners are willing to pay and that keeps the cost of a head of lettuce or those tomatoes much lower than they would otherwise be, just like childcare costs for me were way higher b/c there were not as many undocumented caregivers than the costs for my sister-in-law who lives in an area with an entire industry of undocumented babysitters. Other overlooked benefits are the sales taxes that those folks are paying, just everyone else, when they buy their TP, soap, plastic bags, shirts, jeans, gas, etc. Do the social programming costs outweigh these benefits? Is there a comprehensive study on the true - not just direct but ascertainable indirect - economic costs/benefits of undocumented workers? Some are making pretty definitive assertions about "costs" - not that I don't believe you but I'd love to see the sources of those costs (in a rigorous study, not an op-ed piece, no matter what side of the position you are on).

I see your general argument is that it helps the economy because it’s cheap labor and keeps consumer costs down.

In other words, you agree with republicans that the minimum wage is too high for a sustainable economy - which is contradictory to liberal demands to increase the min wage, in other words, liberals created this problem.

Furthermore, this means that the liberal claim saying the min wage is not a living wage is bunk since obviously illegal immigrants are able to thrive and even enable their kids to succeed and go to college.

On top of that, libs want to expand healthcare and social security - which would put more strain on businesses. Since this is withheld from legal employee paychecks, illegals don’t pay into this system because it is illegal activity and the wages need to be kept off the books (paid in cash) and as such they are not only driving down wages for already poor unskilled workers as you stated, but they are drawing down funds from Medicare programs or skipping out on medical bills altogether when they use public services. It’s stealing, plain and simple.

You admitted illegal immigrants are also taking jobs away from legal unskilled workers - leaving these workers with less options and the higher likelihood they’ll be on welfare - another strain on the economy. If your argument is that US citizens aren’t willing to do that kind of work for min wage, then they need to either pay more or the farmers/hotels can apply for H1B visas so they can hire workers who are willing - they can come from Honduras, wherever but this guarantees the businesses are responsible for these workers and taxes are collected and paid.

Bottom line, there is no excuse for illegal activity and keeping these off the books and your arguments for illegal immigration are entirely hypocritical to the liberal position on wages and social services.

I wonder what Kate Steinle thinks about that?

Did you give up on the economic argument? Kate Steinle, very legitimate point. So do we demonize all illegal immigrants for one nut job? Do we take everybody’s guns away for the actions of Stephen Paddock, the Vegas shooter? I can respect either side you take, but be consistent.

I’m not saying those things and you know that I am not. What I am saying is that the economic argument - undocumented people are a drain on the economy - is often stated as an absolute but I don’t recall seeing data to back that up. The data might but if it does not consider ways in which undocumented immigrants contribute to our economy is overly simplistic at best and disingenuous or misleading or intentionally ignorant at worst.

Without the name calling and taking of concepts out of context, and with the caveat that it is an odd digression from the original topic, I think the discussion is a good one and I think it is important to consider opposing viewpoints (I don’t consider disagreements to be character flaws). I do think honest discussion is essential to civil discussion. And I always enjoy learning - whether on the micro level (about specific stories of specific individuals) or on a macro level.

Did you give up on the economic argument? Kate Steinle, very legitimate point. So do we demonize all illegal immigrants for one nut job? Do we take everybody’s guns away for the actions of Stephen Paddock, the Vegas shooter? I can respect either side you take, but be consistent.
The economic issue is a non issue, we spend billions of education, medication and incarceration. I will gladly pay the price.
We have to deal with whatever crime citizens commit, but we sure don't need to import crime and disease.
Democrats will do anything for votes and power.

I see your general argument is that it helps the economy because it’s cheap labor and keeps consumer costs down.

In other words, you agree with republicans that the minimum wage is too high for a sustainable economy - which is contradictory to liberal demands to increase the min wage, in other words, liberals created this problem.

Furthermore, this means that the liberal claim saying the min wage is not a living wage is bunk since obviously illegal immigrants are able to thrive and even enable their kids to succeed and go to college.

On top of that, libs want to expand healthcare and social security - which would put more strain on businesses. Since this is withheld from legal employee paychecks, illegals don’t pay into this system because it is illegal activity and the wages need to be kept off the books (paid in cash) and as such they are not only driving down wages for already poor unskilled workers as you stated, but they are drawing down funds from Medicare programs or skipping out on medical bills altogether when they use public services. It’s stealing, plain and simple.

You admitted illegal immigrants are also taking jobs away from legal unskilled workers - leaving these workers with less options and the higher likelihood they’ll be on welfare - another strain on the economy. If your argument is that US citizens aren’t willing to do that kind of work for min wage, then they need to either pay more or the farmers/hotels can apply for H1B visas so they can hire workers who are willing - they can come from Honduras, wherever but this guarantees the businesses are responsible for these workers and taxes are collected and paid.

Bottom line, there is no excuse for illegal activity and keeping these off the books and your arguments for illegal immigration are entirely hypocritical to the liberal position on wages and social services.

You never answered my question. Your going off on tangents and did not address dk_b’s point. Putting the “liberal” label on everybody without addressing the content of the argument is weak. Your not being intellectually honest.

Even after I admitted there are costs to illegal immigration, Sheriff Joe did not have the integrity to admit there are any benefits. He’s so emotionally involved that he can’t handle even admitting a very basic fact.

Look, you may not like or agree with America’s or California’s economic model, but you can’t argue that it has been successful. What’s the model? Take young, healthy, hungry, and ambitious immigrants (legal or not) and let them be the fuel to your economy and growth. It’s that simple. In California we have an endless supply of this “fuel.” It has made both the USA and California number one.

You know why SoCal is number one in girls soccer, because we have a seemingly endless supply of talent coming through the pipelines. The South and the SEC dominate college football because they have an endless supply of 6’6” 350 lb linemen who can run a 4.5 40.

Now I’m going to anticipate the “well, I’m only against illegal immigration, let them do it legally and get in line...”. First, there has never been a line to do America’s dirty work (think cotton, railroads, and fruits and vegetables).
Before 1923, as long as you were not missing two arms an a leg, you were allowed in. Sound like open borders? There have been restrictions ever since but we all know illegal immigration exists. Have American businesses turned a blind eye, of course and we all know why.

You want to change the economic model and kick all illegal immigrants out, thats’s fine, just don’t shot on the illegals immigrants and pretend you did not gain any benefit from it.

Back