College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

Oh, you poor little baby! Who’s playing victim politics now? Get off your lazy boy, stop eating fried twinkies and hit the f’n books!
What could be more fair than the SAT?
Everyone takes the same test at the same time.
Maybe you should tell these People who want this carve out to hit the books.
Anyone who thinks this is anything other than affirmative action needs their head examined.

Providing equal education funding to all schools instead of basing their funding on their local tax base would be an even better idea. When inner city schools don't have enough books but the school in the neighboring suburb has a campus that rivals many college campuses it highlights the inequities in our educational funding.

This is asinine. Nice buildings aren’t going to teach your kids how to read and let’s be honest, access to books are not the real issue - it’s mentality. I say each neighborhood should fund their own. Federal funding should be a flat rate per head count - every kid gets the same amount, same treatment. Then, local funding should go to local neighborhoods because those are dollars coming directly from the parents and local neighbors. There is no reason your tax dollars should pay for my kids education and vice versa. If you want to support inner city kids, donate to a non-profit or volunteer your time - I certainly have and people should have a choice as to whether or not they want to support other people’s kids. Don’t like the kids or schools in your neighborhood? Move. Wish you could move but can’t afford to? The reality is you probably should’ve made better life choices - you’ve got no one to blame but yourself. but now it’s time to make the most of what you have. I know plenty of inner city kids who have made it out - there’s really no excuse.

At the end of the day, it’s the parents responsibility to provide for your kids, whether food, education, books, environment, or otherwise. It’s the kid’s responsibility to make the most of his/her education, resources, opportunities or lack thereof - regardless of what the parents do/don’t provide. And if they care, they can and will make it happen - just look at soccer - ever the poorest parents are spending $5-12k a yr on soccer, countless hours at training and private’s - and it’s not like the parents are dropping off, they’re sitting and watching, doing nothing. If they spent that time studying or even the cost of a few private’s for SAT prep, they’d do fine. Sure, expensive tutors may help, but you really don’t need that much to succeed academically and there are plenty of free resources out there, especially online and at your local library. Go into any wealthy school and tell them about how your inner city school doesn’t have books and you would be hard pressed to find a parent who wouldn’t buy your kids the books they need. More likely than not, you’d see the students start a fundraising campaign to raise money for your school. And yet poor kids and families resent them.

Access to resources is not the problem.

This is asinine. .
Wow. So the quality of the school has no bearing on the success of the students? You get no benefit from the educational success of other people's children that go on to become the work force that will keep society running when you are old? You are clueless and your privilege is showing.

Wow. So the quality of the school has no bearing on the success of the students? You get no benefit from the educational success of other people's children that go on to become the work force that will keep society running when you are old? You are clueless and your privilege is showing.

Lol, it’s always the idiot middle class white dude who knows neither what it’s like to be rich nor poor who uses that line...

Dude, I lived in the ghetto when I was a kid, you have no freakin clue. I went back to visit a couple years back and drug deals were going on in front of the house i lived in in broad daylight. When I was a kid, my neighbors pulled a prank and dumped mud into the mail slot in our door. When my dad confronted the parents, they didn’t even have towels to wipe it up, they literally had to use their shirts and underwear. I witnessed first hand what it took to get outta there and making excuses because of lack of resources was not one of them.

The people who talk about privilege only do so because they have no idea why people are in poverty, nor how to solve it.

This is asinine. Nice buildings aren’t going to teach your kids how to read and let’s be honest, access to books are not the real issue - it’s mentality. I say each neighborhood should fund their own. Federal funding should be a flat rate per head count - every kid gets the same amount, same treatment. Then, local funding should go to local neighborhoods because those are dollars coming directly from the parents and local neighbors. There is no reason your tax dollars should pay for my kids education and vice versa. If you want to support inner city kids, donate to a non-profit or volunteer your time - I certainly have and people should have a choice as to whether or not they want to support other people’s kids. Don’t like the kids or schools in your neighborhood? Move. Wish you could move but can’t afford to? The reality is you probably should’ve made better life choices - you’ve got no one to blame but yourself. but now it’s time to make the most of what you have. I know plenty of inner city kids who have made it out - there’s really no excuse.

At the end of the day, it’s the parents responsibility to provide for your kids, whether food, education, books, environment, or otherwise. It’s the kid’s responsibility to make the most of his/her education, resources, opportunities or lack thereof - regardless of what the parents do/don’t provide. And if they care, they can and will make it happen - just look at soccer - ever the poorest parents are spending $5-12k a yr on soccer, countless hours at training and private’s - and it’s not like the parents are dropping off, they’re sitting and watching, doing nothing. If they spent that time studying or even the cost of a few private’s for SAT prep, they’d do fine. Sure, expensive tutors may help, but you really don’t need that much to succeed academically and there are plenty of free resources out there, especially online and at your local library. Go into any wealthy school and tell them about how your inner city school doesn’t have books and you would be hard pressed to find a parent who wouldn’t buy your kids the books they need. More likely than not, you’d see the students start a fundraising campaign to raise money for your school. And yet poor kids and families resent them.

The government control of education isn't working.

Wow.

I give you props for owning this and not trying to sugar coat it. The ignorance and arrogance without even a shade of trying to make it palatable is refreshing.

I will forever link this post so when people wonder what white privilege is I can easily find it.

Wow.

I give you props for owning this and not trying to sugar coat it. The ignorance and arrogance without even a shade of trying to make it palatable is refreshing.

I will forever link this post so when people wonder what white privilege is I can easily find it.

Umm.... nice try, except I’m not white... maybe you should forever link this post so you can remind yourself just how ignorant you are.

Quit drinking the liberal koolaid and start thinking critically for once, will ya?

Umm.... nice try, except I’m not white... maybe you should forever link this post so you can remind yourself just how ignorant you are.

Quit drinking the liberal koolaid and start thinking critically for once, will ya?
Liberals are and always have been the party of racism.
KKK
FDR
Civil War

Anyone who thinks this is anything other than affirmative action needs their head examined.

Guess what genius, there’s no race involved whatsoever. And this is nothing more than most schools do already. And guess what, if there is any benefit, Trump’s base will benefit. You’ll be surprised how much I’m common Trump’s base, disenfranchised white people, have with people of color.

Believe it or not, that rural white kid from Mississippi from a single parent home whose mother is unemployed or hooked on opiates has many of the same disadvantages as an inner city kid with similar circumstances. And nobody is saying it can’t be done, it’s just harder.

Raising victims isn't the answer.

Well Trump’s base sure thinks it is. “Yeah it’s that undocumented gardener busting his ass in 100 degree heat that’s the cause of all my problems.” Why are there no white kids at the spelling bee? Who’s stopping them from busting their ass like the Indian-American kids? Again, get off your lazy boy, and put down those fried twinkies!

This thread now officially belongs in the "kitchen"......for those of you old timer on the forum!

SAT is not fair, per sa, in the absolute terms. But no test is, neither is life so it is what it is.

Adversity score is reverse discrimination against middle class kids. What it says is that all things being equal, kids from one of the included criteria gets rated higher or supposed to get preferential considerations. It is affirmative action - agree.

Hope you were in a different time zone when you posted these comments...Yikes 4.45AM!!!

Sat is fair-

The library is free! With plenty of resources.

Can anyone tell me why kids from China and other countries can score higher in the English section than kids in the US?

Adversity score is reverse discrimination against middle class kids. What it says is that all things being equal, kids from one of the included criteria gets rated higher or supposed to get preferential considerations. It is affirmative action - agree.

You are not being intellectually honest. There is no discrimination whatsoever. It just puts kids of all races, creeds, and colors, in their proper perspective.

I agree with most points. Its quality of teachers and teachings, not buildings that inspire and motivate kids to learn. While infrastructure of nice buildings and equipment and supplies help, it pales in comparison to teachers that actually care and want to inspire the students (I know there are many out there teaching - not saying that they don't exist).

It all starts with self will and motivation to want to get better and succeed. NOT entitlement mentality that says the government/others must take care of me.

Because of our modest success in life, we are now faced with negative adversity score - not consistent with the American values and way of life.

You are not being intellectually honest. There is no discrimination whatsoever. It just puts kids of all races, creeds, and colors, in their proper perspective.
And just what is that "proper perspective"?

The last time I looked, we don't live in a country that predetermine person's place in society.

Back