2006 - ODP Player Pool

Of course I would have my kid play for the Bakers! Little Susie is going to be on the National team plus they make sweet slideshows and videos about their teams. If this doesn't get you pumped up what will ?!

Mine thought that they were jerks. She sure loved the way one of them tried to talk to her during a high school game against JSerra. I called them right after the game. Of course they didn't answer or reply to my text. She is not a fan. Good luck to their players.

I've heard the Baker move is on hold for now. The ANA Surf team has not dispersed as much as people assumed at this point and that were some key players they wanted to build with. I could be wrong but that's what I heard.

Our coach definitely didn't "nominate" any girls as he didn't know it was happening. A coach with our club that is also an ODP coach didn't even know they were doing ODP for the 06's. There's players on the list that only played the first weekend, so the ODP scouts were definitely at Galway Downs...not sure about the 2ND and 3RD weekend of games. So the players that make the cut will be able to attend the ODP summer camp at no cost? Would this be the same ODP summer camp that anyone can just pay and go to?

Bakers unleashed on ten year olds never did I think I would see the day! And a B team no less
Just remember - that is the age their current 2002 & 2001 teams started. Love them or hate them (and I know there are both camps) - it all started with girls around this age.

In different time and era when they had a choke hold on the market and controlled the local high school as well - yes you are right

Cal south
Our coach definitely didn't "nominate" any girls as he didn't know it was happening. A coach with our club that is also an ODP coach didn't even know they were doing ODP for the 06's. There's players on the list that only played the first weekend, so the ODP scouts were definitely at Galway Downs...not sure about the 2ND and 3RD weekend of games. So the players that make the cut will be able to attend the ODP summer camp at no cost? Would this be the same ODP summer camp that anyone can just pay and go to?

Cal south has to make that money off ulittle parents before the scam is up! I bet they do 2007 too! I bet they also make lots of "traning camps" you can go to. My hypothesis is that because their cash stream has now diminished SIGNFICANTLY u14 and above they will need to start with some new scam or resign themselves to the fact that they are a tier 3 talent ID and still be ok with it because it was never about the kids anyway.

Cal south

Cal south has to make that money off ulittle parents before the scam is up! I bet they do 2007 too! I bet they also make lots of "traning camps" you can go to. My hypothesis is that because their cash stream has now diminished SIGNFICANTLY u14 and above they will need to start with some new scam or resign themselves to the fact that they are a tier 3 talent ID and still be ok with it because it was never about the kids anyway.
That might be a plausible explanation in other ODP programs, but not Cal South's Pro+, which only charges $100 for the two day training camp and something like a $125 meal fee for the Ojai training camp. The rest is subsidized by Cal South and Nike through its sponsorship of the Pro+ program. Other regions charge thousands and make you travel much farther distances (at your own expense). If you look at ODP discussions on parent forums like this around the country, Cal South is routinely praised because the fees are so much less than where they play. Parents there attribute Cal South's success in ODP nationals to that feature of the program. None of that, of course, says anything about whether ODP is worth it as an ID program now that Development Academy extends down to U12 and US Soccer does not let those kids do ODP and USSDA.

I disagree myself - I feel that Cal South again could do this because it had the talent represented. Now the talent will be in the DA. Nike sponsered ECNL as well I am sure that there was some link there.
We will see it Cal South has success when the majority of their players on the girls side are no longer there but in DA. I personally do not think they will share the success at all and this will be evident within 2-3 years time.
As far as fees I think you are incorrect-
It's 100$ for Ventura.
If you get chosen for Ojai it's free but if you don't get chosen and still want to try it's $595 (worth every penny by the way because I love the camp).
I will be very interested to see how this shakes out but again the sponsorship I believe was very closely linked to an ECNL one.

I disagree myself - I feel that Cal South again could do this because it had the talent represented. Now the talent will be in the DA. Nike sponsered ECNL as well I am sure that there was some link there.
We will see it Cal South has success when the majority of their players on the girls side are no longer there but in DA. I personally do not think they will share the success at all and this will be evident within 2-3 years time.
It's 100$ for Ventura.
If you get chosen for Ojai it's free but if you don't get chosen and still want to try it's $595 (worth every penny by the way because I love the camp).
I will be very interested to see how this shakes out but again the sponsorship I believe was very closely linked to an ECNL one.
I'm really not sure what you disagree with and what you characterize as "incorrect." As far as the latter, it is a $100 fee for this first training camp - we both state the same thing. If you are chosen for the summer training camp in Ojai, there is no charge (although there is a $125 meal fee). Not sure why you bring up the option to sign up for $595 and participate anyway if you are NOT chosen for the summer training camp. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. Do you mean the public camp (which is on different dates and doesn't pretend to be an ID camp)? If you're upset that the public ODP camp is just a cash cow, I'm not sure what that has to do with the selection of the 2006 player pool. It doesn't apply to them if they make it through the process. If they don't make it through, they can sign up for all sorts of soccer camps and pay $595 or more. That's not really an indictment of ODP. If you mean that players invited to the player pool, but not selected for the final 18-22, are permitted to pay to sign up for the actual ODP camp (not the public one) if they pay, that's news to me. It's not indicated on any of the materials, but if it's true, then it seems like parents would definitely have their eyes wide open if they pay the $$. After all, they know that their kids were not in the selected pool, so they know it's basically just a camp with a guarantee of higher level of competition than the public camp at the same price, which actually doesn't sound like such a bad deal for parents who had the dough to pay for the public camp in the first place. All I was saying is that if this is designed to be a cash cow, they are really bad at making cash because they are likely charging a below market rate.

As far as your disagreement, do you mean about Cal South's historic dominance in ODP national competitions? I wasn't making a prediction about the future. I was just describing what parents have said from other parts of the country about Cal South's ODP program.

It's 100$ for Ventura.

The sponsorship was not ECNL related. ODP will still be strong. GDA is not going to be all that people think that it will be. Look on the boys side. Even without the academy boys Cal South still does pretty good at ODP regionals and nationals.

Just remember - that is the age their current 2002 & 2001 teams started. Love them or hate them (and I know there are both camps) - it all started with girls around this age.
They are the best coaches Blues has, but they are certainly not for everyone. Their players are studs, talent is off the charts, training is top notch, but not for everyone. If any dd is lucky to be coached by the Bakers, the sky is the limit. Can't wait to see where all of their players end up at in college and future years. So very exciting!!

The sponsorship was not ECNL related. ODP will still be strong. GDA is not going to be all that people think that it will be. Look on the boys side. Even without the academy boys Cal South still does pretty good at ODP regionals and nationals.

Good post... and backed up by some facts, rare for this place :)

Back