Tough road for 2022 class

They all understood family budget is the big elephant in the room and teenagers aren’t qualified to make family budget decisions on their own.
Money is not brought up in early discussions except for Ivys.
I got this story that adds up to a million in bribes that just popped in my head and it sounds like cheating to me to get in or some like to say, "pay to play." I remember reading a story where a Ivy coach confessed to taking over a $1,000,000 in bribes. That is what he confessed to. How did those family discussions go down you think? 100% no teenager could handle those discussions.

Each family is unique and each soon to be adult is unique. Not everyone has Ivy's after their kid either and a lot of D1s, FYI. No offense, but if you plan on state or local little school, I'm not so sure they need to meet all my kids family and siblings. I'm assuming she has a very high GPA and SAT and highly sought after student who can ball? To each his own is my motto. These are real life stories. They dont sound right to me either but not all dd have a success story yet like yours. Congrats bro. I have never heard about meeting the whole family and the siblings but no Ivys either.. That's cool to and your dd must be really special person and I mean that. My pals dd committed back in 8th grade on a one call close. I actually think your dd story is wonderful and I applaud it and wish her the best. I wont deny a little jealousy even :) Not all stories have such happiness to it..

Kids been doing the ID clinics and getting good interst but coaches are all saying 2022 are screwed. So many 5th seniors staying over with the extra year of eligibility that only leaves very minimal roster openings. Fortunately, she has been invited to interview with a head coach, tour the campus and meet an admissions advisor at one of her top school choices. 2022 are going to struggle to get recruited and I feel bad for the kids. One thing I found out though is a lot of colleges have club teams to that travel, play in a league and represent their school. This might be a good option if you can't make the varsity team during your freshman year to keep your skills up then try a walk on try out when the rosters open up more next year. I've heard the club teams at college are pretty good competitive soccer too.
I think the extra year offered to those in college impacts players all the way up to class of 2024. I don’t think it was just seniors who received an extra year of eligibility? Isn’t it all of them, Frosh-Sr?

My post wasn’t meant too brag or boast only to be informative. To share information I wish I knew going into the recruiting process even well intentioned DOC’s and coaches come up short in this area.

Believe me the final outcome of my daughter’s recruiting process was great, she is very fortunate, and we are very grateful to her club and college coaches who showed interest in her BUT there were a lot of lows and emotional roller coaster rides to get to her college commitment as other families can contest too. We won’t be 100% relieved until she signs her NLI in November because of all the twists and turns she’s gone through.

I also think they’re amazing players that go un-recruited because of lack of information to navigate the recruiting process.

Seeing a lot more 2022’s committing over the past few weeks. Very excited for these girls to be finding their future homes.

In regards to the Communication, in my DD’s process, she told us that she will handle the calls and bring us in when and where necessary. There were 3 schools that after having a few calls with her, wanted to have a call with us as well. They were more meet and greet style calls than anything and the schools that she was very interested, we did get more involved as the process continued.

She even called the schools she didn’t choose to tell them in person because she felt they deserved to hear it from her.

Good luck to all the players out there finding their way thru this!

I think the extra year offered to those in college impacts players all the way up to class of 2024. I don’t think it was just seniors who received an extra year of eligibility? Isn’t it all of them, Frosh-Sr?

Every registered player from 20-21' has the potential for a extra year of eligibility

1199177930374389.tuIPOLM2xIsOm7fddBmH_height640.png

Going to effect students up until 2025 actually.

My post wasn’t meant too brag or boast only to be informative. To share information I wish I knew going into the recruiting process even well intentioned DOC’s and coaches come up short in this area.

Believe me the final outcome of my daughter’s recruiting process was great, she is very fortunate, and we are very grateful to her club and college coaches who showed interest in her BUT there were a lot of lows and emotional roller coaster rides to get to her college commitment as other families can contest too. We won’t be 100% relieved until she signs her NLI in November because of all the twists and turns she’s gone through.

I also think they’re amazing players that go un-recruited because of lack of information to navigate the recruiting process.
Cool man.

Has anyone's kid asked the coach their position on Jab or no Jab? It looks like no jab, no play? Is that a no no or should potential recruit just be up front and honest about their position? Second Q. Does anyone recommend a great school that does not force jab to play and go to school? Asking for a friend :)

yup, every student athlete enrolled in 2020-21 got an extra year, not just seniors.

but, coaches this summer fairly consistently said they expected the impact to winnow out in couple of years.

not sure how much 2024s will be affected. likely some but not as much as 2021s thru 2023s.

Has anyone's kid asked the coach their position on Jab or no Jab? It looks like no jab, no play? Is that a no no or should potential recruit just be up front and honest about their position? Second Q. Does anyone recommend a great school that does not force jab to play and go to school? Asking for a friend :)
I think that would be a school policy question rather than a question for a coach. Your friend can just google it, many schools (most?) have a policy established already.

Every registered player from 20-21' has the potential for a extra year of eligibility

1199177930374389.tuIPOLM2xIsOm7fddBmH_height640.png

Going to effect students up until 2025 actually.

Another thing to consider is that even though these players have the potential extra year of eligibility that doesn't necessarily mean that it is an option for them, or an option on their current team. I've talked to coaches who have said that they have had to have difficult conversations with players with extra eligibility and their future on their current team. I don't think that means that those players can't go play elsewhere with their eligibility, but my point is that there may be teams who do not offer a returning spot for some of those players to make way for other players who may be more beneficial to the team. Obviously, this extra year of eligibility will make it more difficult for high school players wanting to play in college, but it may not be as dire as it appears. Also, for west coast players I think it's beneficial to them to cast a wider net. There are so many college programs out there - players will have to get more creative in finding the right fit for them academically and athletically.

Another thing to consider is that even though these players have the potential extra year of eligibility that doesn't necessarily mean that it is an option for them, or an option on their current team. I've talked to coaches who have said that they have had to have difficult conversations with players with extra eligibility and their future on their current team. I don't think that means that those players can't go play elsewhere with their eligibility, but my point is that there may be teams who do not offer a returning spot for some of those players to make way for other players who may be more beneficial to the team. Obviously, this extra year of eligibility will make it more difficult for high school players wanting to play in college, but it may not be as dire as it appears. Also, for west coast players I think it's beneficial to them to cast a wider net. There are so many college programs out there - players will have to get more creative in finding the right fit for them academically and athletically.

College coaches will definitely have to factor in more things before extending an offer to a High Schooler. The 5th is not guaranteed to current rostered players but most core players a coach is familiar with will be asked to return for a 5 year. Just off the top of my head I know Santa Clara, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, USC, ASU, and Washington all have several 5 year Sr this season.

Only the marginal prospective recruits will be impacted and not all 5th year players are receiving scholarship dollars.

Any advice or knowledge on these phone calls between college coach and the player on the first phone call? Example, player has interest from a college after seeing her play and a couple emails and the college would like to schedule a talk. Anything the player should be prepared to answer or ask or know?

College coaches will definitely have to factor in more things before extending an offer to a High Schooler. The 5th is not guaranteed to current rostered players but most core players a coach is familiar with will be asked to return for a 5 year. Just off the top of my head I know Santa Clara, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, USC, ASU, and Washington all have several 5 year Sr this season.

Only the marginal prospective recruits will be impacted and not all 5th year players are receiving scholarship dollars.

There are now grad students on several rosters like Portland with 3, UCLA, etc. Scholarship aside the impact will be felt for several years.

There are basically a 3 year difference in some freshman now: redshirted in '19 , took the Covid-19 extra and now they are freshman again this year. Playing against older players now: 18yr freshman vs a 21yr old one for example.

The incoming freshmen numbers at most places are down by a lot, down 30% or more at some university that we checked with. 2022 the numbers will be down again, how many years that takes to recover to a normal level of 2019 remains to be seen but it will be until 2025 until this new class graduates so impact will be felt until then+ in some manners or ways.

Any advice or knowledge on these phone calls between college coach and the player on the first phone call? Example, player has interest from a college after seeing her play and a couple emails and the college would like to schedule a talk. Anything the player should be prepared to answer or ask or know?
I will give you the same advice I have to my DD, be yourself, be confident in yourself and be humble.

Most coaches make the first call really easy and do most of the talking. They usually just give some background on their program and express their interest and lay out a next step (might be tell me when you play next so we can watch, might set up a visit, might be let’s talk again next week, etc). However, my dd had a couple calls where the coach simply asked if she had any questions.
I would recommend looking at some info about the school ahead of the call and having at least a few questions prepared in advance so the conversation is not one sided. Also, they may ask the players timeline for when he/she wants to commit, so be prepared to answer that.
Although this article is about volleyball it has a lot of good questions to give you some ideas.

My kid and I just had a meeting with her college athletic counselor to explore options. Her counselor mentioned an option that I’d never heard of before that I think could help some kids get recruited.

If I had a 2022 kid, I would instruct her to talk to all coaches about the feasibility of being a “grey shirt” recruit which will allow a players to take up to 11.5 units, practice with the team, and not start the NCAA clock.

Hope this helps someone!

My kid and I just had a meeting with her college athletic counselor to explore options. Her counselor mentioned an option that I’d never heard of before that I think could help some kids get recruited.

If I had a 2022 kid, I would instruct her to talk to all coaches about the feasibility of being a “grey shirt” recruit which will allow a players to take up to 11.5 units, practice with the team, and not start the NCAA clock.

Hope this helps someone!
To clarify, a player can participate in “captains practice” but not official practices.

To clarify, a player can participate in “captains practice” but not official practices.

Yeah need individual NCCA approval & clearance for real official practices.

If no coach is present and the captain sessions are run by students that's a possibility. That's basically like intramural or club sports at some schools. Not sure about the liability issues or use of campus facilities but why not explore the possibilities.

Creative solution but I'm not getting the help getting recruited part?

Back