PK???

One if the objection is that the remainder did not stay on topic, that's a fair objection (but one that I happen to disagree with). I don't subscribe to topic rigidity...if the conversation is interesting take it where it may go. The remedy is if you are uninterested, don't read or block. Others may disagree, and I do see their point. However, I note that by objecting to the drift in conversation, you yourself have now drifted the conversation. So it goes in online forums.

Two if the objection is a line drawing one (it's o.k. to criticize a player conduct for whether a foul was committed, but it's not o.k. to criticize the tactics of the team that led to the foul), that's a silly nonsensical one which has absolutely no basis in reason. I would be just as offended if some third party without authorization (I think we are all assuming the OP had the authorization to post this video) posted a video accusing my kid of a foul that wasn't called v. a tactical mistake. In fact I would be more offended by the foul (particularly if it was for a call for a card for misconduct) than a mistake (because they are kids and just learning).

I'm willing to buy the premise that we shouldn't post videos showing the errors of those under 18 unless we are the parents of said error making player. That's a completely 100% legitimate gripe. But it's either all o.k. or none of it is.
Close analysis of situations that turned out badly is how we learn from our mistakes.

Close analysis of situations that turned out badly is how we learn from our mistakes.

Yeah but I get his point. Do we really want folks criticizing our kids publicly for their mistakes (whether foul or tactical error) on forums, especially considering they are children? Where I disagree with him is fouls are o.k. but the tactics which led up to the foul aren't-- a foul (unless it's made strategically) is by definition a mistake and you can't criticize the ref without criticizing the player. There's no way the foul in this video is strategic if it results in a penalty/card.

One if the objection is that the remainder did not stay on topic, that's a fair objection (but one that I happen to disagree with). I don't subscribe to topic rigidity...if the conversation is interesting take it where it may go. The remedy is if you are uninterested, don't read or block. Others may disagree, and I do see their point. However, I note that by objecting to the drift in conversation, you yourself have now drifted the conversation. So it goes in online forums.

Two if the objection is a line drawing one (it's o.k. to criticize a player conduct for whether a foul was committed, but it's not o.k. to criticize the tactics of the team that led to the foul), that's a silly nonsensical one which has absolutely no basis in reason. I would be just as offended if some third party without authorization (I think we are all assuming the OP had the authorization to post this video) posted a video accusing my kid of a foul that wasn't called v. a tactical mistake. In fact I would be more offended by the foul (particularly if it was for a call for a card for misconduct) than a mistake (because they are kids and just learning).

I'm willing to buy the premise that we shouldn't post videos showing the errors of those under 18 unless we are the parents of said error making player. That's a completely 100% legitimate gripe. But it's either all o.k. or none of it is.

I do scroll on by most of the time and did choose to participate in this one. And despite many justifications people are using to analyze/criticize tactics of a youth player, the analysis/criticism rings hollow and the justifications are self-serving. In a different context (not a public board, for example) or with express permission, I’d feel differently.

And obviously online discussions often veer to a different topic. That’s clearly not the issue here - as I know you (@Grace T.) have noted. If the clip in question were of a college-age or older player, I’d have little issue. (My favorite gk was given (or earned) a red card in the college season. If someone posted that clip and it was analyzed as here, I might not have liked it but I would not have had any criticism)

Yes - was there a foul or not? Just like, “was that a handball?” “Was that a clean tackle?” Etc. But the analysis has gone well beyond what the ref might have seen and why the ref called what the ref called. Whether the kid found a teammate or cleared the ball or did something else is irrelevant to the original post and strikes me as odd and inappropriate for this forum. This is a kid who did not sign up to be publicly analyzed with respect to all the steps he should or should not have taken in the moment. The question was not - nor should it have been (unless the initial poster was the player himself) - “what could the GK have done to avoid a foul, prevented a goal and done the ‘proper’ thing to advance his development in the game?”

The board is nothing if not consistent, however, so I’m not surprised.
I agree with not criticizing a child publicly. Apologies for my part in it. I do think he did what he thought was the best in the moment and I'm sure he learned from it. That's all there is to one moment to any child's play.

I agree with not criticizing a child publicly. Apologies for my part in it. I do think he did what he thought was the best in the moment and I'm sure he learned from it. That's all there is to one moment to any child's play.

To be clear, I don't think anyone on here has been mean-spirited about this. I actually think it is borne by everyone's shared enthusiasm for the sport. But I also think we need to pause and remind ourselves when the subject is a kid or the tangent changes the subject to a kid (I also think this kid is probably identifiable to someone on this board).

Back