PK???

Frank

GOLD
This was called a PK this weekend and a yellow for the keeper.

Ugh

Looks like the Keeper through an elbow to the head of the attacker during a shoulder to shoulder situation.

Looks like the Keeper through an elbow to the head of the attacker during a shoulder to shoulder situation.
I think you might be right. I only looked once and saw what your post. I slowed it down. Hard to see still but I do see elbow. I will look again tmrw. Good catch. I take back, "horrible call" and now say, "play under review."

I think you might be right. I only looked once and saw what your post. I slowed it down. Hard to see still but I do see elbow. I will look again tmrw. Good catch. I take back, "horrible call" and now say, "play under review."

Eagle eyes on that ref. It's hard to see even in the vid.

The pass into the keeper from the LB is too soft forcing the keeper up to meet it. The RB is jogging and not getting wide to give the keeper an angle. The CB is moving in instead of long crowding the passing angel. The keeper took too much time and should have seen there were no good options available and either banged it long or kicked it out given his teammates left him with no good opportunities. It's why learning possession is hard. To work they all have to be doing what they are all supposed to be doing, but instead none of them are. The keeper of course will get blamed even though it's only 1/5 his fault (the final 1/5 going to the coach who should provide the keeper a preference to be done in the event the teammates are not positioned to hold posession). Depending on the level of play it's either a good for them trying it and learning, or what the hell are you thinking.

Ref called a trip. Not anything related to elbow.

Ref called a trip. Not anything related to elbow.
I looked again. I do see Elbow but not enough for me to make that call. I do agree with Grace that put the GK in a tough spot with the pass back. Elbow trip? That's a no call but maybe from the other angle GK used a elbow to the neck. Maybe one of the refs that lurk on here can make that call.

I looked again. I do see Elbow but not enough for me to make that call. I do agree with Grace that put the GK in a tough spot with the pass back. Elbow trip? That's a no call but maybe from the other angle GK used a elbow to the neck. Maybe one of the refs that lurk on here can make that call.

After all the calls I've seen against my kid, against other GKs he's played against, and at games I've AR'd, I am firmly convinced, even though I have no actual data to support it, that there is a heavy anti-GK bias in the refs out there in the SoCal youth game. If there's any doubt, the ref is going to call it against the GK. I think ultimately there was an elbow or shove from behind, but even if the ref didn't see it and thought it was a trip, they were going to give the striker the benefit of the doubt particularly off a possession mistake by the team in possession.

I once saw a couple years ago my kid go for an out of the box header challenge on an aerial ball against a striker for a ball over the top. The striker lifted his leg over 90 degrees studs up pointed at my kid, they collided, the striker got him in the throat, my kid fell to the ground, and the ball falls and the striker taps it in. Against any CB such an aerial challenge would have rated at least a yellow. Against the GK, it's a goal.

Despite having discussions with other refs I'm not sure why this is. I don't know if it's a resentment that the GK isn't really a soccer player because he can use his hands, an attempt by refs to balance the supposed advantage, memories of getting squished by a GK, the thought that a good GK should be able to rise above and dominate, or that when the GK is in a possible foul it's usually a game changer and as a result will always give the attacking team the benefit of the doubt.

Ugh

Tough to see but the left arm of that keeper may have been a little extra. The striker does lunge at the ball a bit but the keeper knew he was in trouble and the optics are just bad. The ref doesn't get to watch it 5 times like I did, either.

Eagle eyes on that ref. It's hard to see even in the vid.

The pass into the keeper from the LB is too soft forcing the keeper up to meet it. The RB is jogging and not getting wide to give the keeper an angle. The CB is moving in instead of long crowding the passing angel. The keeper took too much time and should have seen there were no good options available and either banged it long or kicked it out given his teammates left him with no good opportunities. It's why learning possession is hard. To work they all have to be doing what they are all supposed to be doing, but instead none of them are. The keeper of course will get blamed even though it's only 1/5 his fault (the final 1/5 going to the coach who should provide the keeper a preference to be done in the event the teammates are not positioned to hold posession). Depending on the level of play it's either a good for them trying it and learning, or what the hell are you thinking.

The keeper never had enough time to take a touch. His bad.

Ugh
Goalie raised his elbow to and made contact with attacker's head. Intentional contact to the head, unless it's two players go in with their heads for a header, is always a card for the safety of all players. Defenders and attackers always get called if they are raising their arms/elbows above their opponent's shoulder while fighting for position or pushing someone off the ball.

Seen this call made everywhere on the field. Mine has been the recipient of the yellow card and given it.

The goalie also looped is leg around the attacker's leg, tripping him. The center and sideline refs were positioned well to see this.

Hook with the left leg while the left arm gives a push to the neck.

Only saw it with slow replay, though.

The keeper never had enough time to take a touch. His bad.

No not all his bad. The timing problem was partially the function of a bad pass into him. If it had been firmer, quicker he would have not had to move up and had more time. He also can't play it off the one touch because none of his other players are in proper position. His only options were to smack it up or kick it out. We don't know what instruction the coach has given in the event his players are not open....some will come down on the keeper if they don't try to maintain possession since they want possession before anything so the kids can learn.

Goalie raised his elbow to and made contact with attacker's head. Intentional contact to the head, unless it's two players go in with their heads for a header, is always a card for the safety of all players. Defenders and attackers always get called if they are raising their arms/elbows above their opponent's shoulder while fighting for position or pushing someone off the ball.

Seen this call made everywhere on the field. Mine has been the recipient of the yellow card and given it.

The goalie also looped is leg around the attacker's leg, tripping him. The center and sideline refs were positioned well to see this.

Doesn't the striker partially cause the trip by reaching into to try and get the ball?

After all the calls I've seen against my kid, against other GKs he's played against, and at games I've AR'd, I am firmly convinced, even though I have no actual data to support it, that there is a heavy anti-GK bias in the refs out there in the SoCal youth game. If there's any doubt, the ref is going to call it against the GK. I think ultimately there was an elbow or shove from behind, but even if the ref didn't see it and thought it was a trip, they were going to give the striker the benefit of the doubt particularly off a possession mistake by the team in possession.

I once saw a couple years ago my kid go for an out of the box header challenge on an aerial ball against a striker for a ball over the top. The striker lifted his leg over 90 degrees studs up pointed at my kid, they collided, the striker got him in the throat, my kid fell to the ground, and the ball falls and the striker taps it in. Against any CB such an aerial challenge would have rated at least a yellow. Against the GK, it's a goal.

Despite having discussions with other refs I'm not sure why this is. I don't know if it's a resentment that the GK isn't really a soccer player because he can use his hands, an attempt by refs to balance the supposed advantage, memories of getting squished by a GK, the thought that a good GK should be able to rise above and dominate, or that when the GK is in a possible foul it's usually a game changer and as a result will always give the attacking team the benefit of the doubt.
Sorry you have this experience. 99% of the times, refs for my son's team do a good job of protecting the goalies. I've only seen one game for my daughter where the ref was letting everyone kill the goalie. Then again, that same ref was letting everyone get hammered on the field too.
No not all his bad. The timing problem was partially the function of a bad pass into him. If it had been firmer, quicker he would have not had to move up and had more time. He also can't play it off the one touch because none of his other players are in proper position. His only options were to smack it up or kick it out. We don't know what instruction the coach has given in the event his players are not open....some will come down on the keeper if they don't try to maintain possession since they want possession before anything so the kids can learn.

Doesn't the striker partially cause the trip by reaching into to try and get the ball?
The goalie had plenty of time to take a touch and pass it to the outside back on the opposite direction the ball came from. That being said, my view is limited by the camera lens.

That's the striker's job, to go for the ball. First leg there gets to own the space, second leg there gets to do a nut meg for the ball but not a loop around the existing leg.

The goalie had plenty of time to take a touch and pass it to the outside back on the opposite direction the ball came from. That being said, my view is limited by the camera lens.

That's the striker's job, to go for the ball. First leg there gets to own the space, second leg there gets to do a nut meg for the ball but not a loop around the existing leg.

From the LB to the RB? No way. The RB is still high and the path is blocked by 1. the CB from his own team who is moving in towards the keeper crowding the space, and 2. by the opposite 10 who is lurking ready to pick off the pass. The RB should have run (not jogged) all the way wide to give the keeper a clear receiver to the ball. You don't stay up in an obstructed position where the passing lane can be intercepted. That's basic basic basic back pass stuff 101.

I see your argument re the trip....still not 100% convinced but I see the point.

From the LB to the RB? No way. The RB is still high and the path is blocked by 1. the CB from his own team who is moving in towards the keeper crowding the space, and 2. by the opposite 10 who is lurking ready to pick off the pass. The RB should have run (not jogged) all the way wide to give the keeper a clear receiver to the ball. You don't stay up in an obstructed position where the passing lane can be intercepted. That's basic basic basic back pass stuff 101.

I see your argument re the trip....still not 100% convinced but I see the point.
A curved pass to the outside of #15 or a clearance shot in that direction is the way to go from that lens. I can't see where everyone else is. It's better than fighting against a forward right in front of the goal.

A curved pass to the outside of #15 or a clearance shot in that direction is the way to go from that lens. I can't see where everyone else is. It's better than fighting against a forward right in front of the goal.

Uh uh. There's NO WAY he makes a curved pass to the outside because he is out of position (again through no fault of his own....he is having to run up to meet the pass because of the bad pass in from the LB). If the pass had been good, he could have been flat parallel to the goal line, taken a touch with his right foot out in the direction of the RB and then curved it, but facing directly in to receive the bad ball doesn't give him time to turn out to curve.

He could have just sent it into the open space by the RB's corner and hoped the RB would collect it, but the RB is just jogging there with no sign of any urgency whatsoever...we don't know what kind of trust relationship those have to do a risky move like that and for all we know the RB is a Harry McGuire. He absolutely could have made a clearance shot up the field (either in the direction of the RB, towards the winger, towards an open player and towards the center) but we don't know what instructions the coach has given the keeper (sometimes the instruction is possession before anything else for the sake of the players learning it and not to "AYSO the ball"-- yeah I actually heard a girl's coach once yell that at their keeper along with "this is not AYSO sweatheart")

All 4 of the players aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing. All 4 of them bear part of the blame.

Uh uh. There's NO WAY he makes a curved pass to the outside because he is out of position (again through no fault of his own....he is having to run up to meet the pass because of the bad pass in from the LB). If the pass had been good, he could have been flat parallel to the goal line, taken a touch with his right foot out in the direction of the RB and then curved it, but facing directly in to receive the bad ball doesn't give him time to turn out to curve.

He could have just sent it into the open space by the RB's corner and hoped the RB would collect it, but the RB is just jogging there with no sign of any urgency whatsoever...we don't know what kind of trust relationship those have to do a risky move like that and for all we know the RB is a Harry McGuire. He absolutely could have made a clearance shot up the field (either in the direction of the RB, towards the winger, towards an open player and towards the center) but we don't know what instructions the coach has given the keeper (sometimes the instruction is possession before anything else for the sake of the players learning it and not to "AYSO the ball"-- yeah I actually heard a girl's coach once yell that at their keeper along with "this is not AYSO sweatheart")

All 4 of the players aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing. All 4 of them bear part of the blame.
I agree with you that many bad decisions led to the team being in this position of forcing the goalie to make this decision. I disagree with you that clearing the ball when you don't see passing alternative is an AYSO move. Preventing a goal is the primary duty of a goal keeper, not possession. A keeper needs to learn how to recognize when to pass and when to clear the ball.

A goalie with good footwork and accurate passing skills under pressure would be able to make that pass. I've see it plenty from goalies to midfielders, etc.

I'm also of the mindset that it's good this happened because the goalie and the entire team can learn from their mistakes. It's no big deal. It's how players get better through the years.

Back