ODP tournament

I think you still have a lot of ECNL players, at least on the girls side, participating in ODP. This year’s 2008 ODP team had 8 of the 18 girls from the same ECNL team…Eagles (currently in second place). The 2009 team had 6 of the 18 from the Blues ECNL team.

My only question would be: Why so many from the same club? As there are undoubtedly plenty of girls, even ones not playing at that level, who are capable of making an ODP roster. Is truly going out and evaluating talent, too daunting of a task? Or could it be that some clubs do a poor job of reaching out and suggesting that they have girls that should be added to the player pool?
I'm thinking some ECNL clubs don't want their kids playing ODP. Plus many clubs don't promote their players very well.

It might be time to have an open cattle call a month before they cut down to 40-50 players and allow players to tryout without being scouted. I know many states use this process. Choose 20 players from that group and combine them with scouted players.

I'm thinking some ECNL clubs don't want their kids playing ODP. Plus many clubs don't promote their players very well.

It might be time to have an open cattle call a month before they cut down to 40-50 players and allow players to tryout without being scouted. I know many states use this process. Choose 20 players from that group and combine them with scouted players.
Many clubs dont want to highlight their best players b/c this opens them up to recruitment.

I think you still have a lot of ECNL players, at least on the girls side, participating in ODP. This year’s 2008 ODP team had 8 of the 18 girls from the same ECNL team…Eagles (currently in second place). The 2009 team had 6 of the 18 from the Blues ECNL team.

My only question would be: Why so many from the same club? As there are undoubtedly plenty of girls, even ones not playing at that level, who are capable of making an ODP roster. Is truly going out and evaluating talent, too daunting of a task? Or could it be that some clubs do a poor job of reaching out and suggesting that they have girls that should be added to the player pool?
We see the same thing on the AZ side. Seems like a couple players from one ECNL team have fun at ODP and tell their teammates. Barely any participation from other ECNL, GA or ECRL teams. But a bunch from a single team. It benefits the team as they already have chemistry but makes it hard for others to join. But we only have 3 ECNL teams here so...

We see the same thing on the AZ side. Seems like a couple players from one ECNL team have fun at ODP and tell their teammates. Barely any participation from other ECNL, GA or ECRL teams. But a bunch from a single team. It benefits the team as they already have chemistry but makes it hard for others to join. But we only have 3 ECNL teams here so...
A majority of the 2006 AZ girls team was from the fc tucson ga team this year and last year (when they were dpl)

My only question would be: Why so many from the same club? As there are undoubtedly plenty of girls, even ones not playing at that level, who are capable of making an ODP roster. Is truly going out and evaluating talent, too daunting of a task?

Again. It all starts at the top. Whos in charge?

A LOCAL community college coach who wants to land some mid tier players for his program who have no chance going D1 right after high-school. By throwing these kids a bone, even when they are younger the hope is for parents to remember the coach from ODP. Its great for recruitment and building a strong Community College program. 384-120-59 in 26 years gets you some job security.

Ventura College Women's Soccer Record

2022 - 10-9-4, 1-1 post season
2021 - 16-4-3, 1-1 post season
2020 - COVID
2019 - 12-6-4, 1-1 post season
2018 - 10-7-5, 0-1 post season
2017 - 9-12-2, 0-1 post season
2016 - 16-6-1, 1-1 post season
2015 - 5-13-2
2014 - 11-5-5, 0-1 post season
2013 - 14-5-2, 0-1 post season

Zero CCCAA Championships. In the last 25 years VC has made the post season 24 out of the last 25 years under Steve Hoffman.

You also need to remember where Cal South holds their ODP Camps. Thacher in Ventura County, Ojai. Good luck pulling kids from Orange and San Diego County to attend the Camps when better players and competition are directly in their area locally. Again, if ODP wants to hold any credibility they need to make changes. What worked in the early 90's doesn't work today. Find a program director who's lives where the hot bed of talent lays. Don't care if its the boys or girls program but you could put together better teams plucking 14-18 kids from Great Park on a Thursday evening than anyone of these ODP teams.

Many clubs dont want to highlight their best players b/c this opens them up to recruitment.
I really started to notice recruiting in High School. Seems when you mix a number of clubs together on a High School team the players start talking, plus they start telling their coaches to come watch player x.

I really started to notice recruiting in High School. Seems when you mix a number of clubs together on a High School team the players start talking, plus they start telling their coaches to come watch player x.
Same thing happens on Futsal teams but generally at a younger age.

Cal South ‘06 girls went 2-2 at the regionals. Looks as though only (3) ECNL players were on the roster; all from Eagles.

Was just checking out the rosters for the ODP National teams that will be participating in events in Vegas, Dallas and England. Across all six age groups (2005 - 2010), only three girls from southern CA made the rosters.

Was just checking out the rosters for the ODP National teams that will be participating in events in Vegas, Dallas and England. Across all six age groups (2005 - 2010), only three girls from southern CA made the rosters.
i think there were about 2 or 3 three from arizona

Cal South ‘06 girls went 2-2 at the regionals. Looks as though only (3) ECNL players were on the roster; all from Eagles.
Yet another failure.

No knock to the kids who represented the team but the foundation of ODP was to group together the best players and talent across the region. How does a team from socal go 2-2 at the regional level? The programs flawed and people need to stop throwing money away at ODP. Once the money stops flowing change will happen.

Now for the ODP National Selection it shows the biggest flaw of them all.

Look how many kids were selected from Florida for the 2008's

Can you guess what state made the final selection for the team?

Its all one big circle jerk.

The Circle Jerks was a killer punk rock band.

Back