ODP tournament

I know many here think ODP sucks (and it probably does) but for those involved, they are kicking off this weekend. Good luck to those kiddos involvex, hope you play your best

Agreed - good luck to the players.

I don't think ODP sucks....it certainly needs to be improved (if it is even necessary anymore), but I wish AZ ODP staff had better communication at the very least o_O

The US Youth Soccer ODP Philosophy
To identify players of the highest caliber on a continuing and consistent basis, which will lead to increased success for the U.S. National Teams in the international arena.

Purpose
To identify and provide opportunities for high potential players, facilitate their development, and expose them to the next level of their chosen pathway.

Goal
To be a nationally recognized youth identification and development pathway for US soccer players.

When you sign your kid up for ODP, the above is what you're signing up for. You can evaluate whether the product is worth the time, investment and money accordingly.

My thoughts:
  1. If your kid is younger, not at a club that offers ECNL or MLS, and wants to try out for one of those teams - might be worth it. Coaches from those clubs will show up to see what's out there or check in on their younger kids that don't have a HS season in the winter.
  2. If your kid wants a "free" hoodie - definitely worth it
  3. If you want some fun bragging posts on IG - most definitely worth it. All of your friends outside of the soccer community will hear the word "Olympic" and be instantly impressed. Then, if your kid gets an invite to the Regional Camp and maybe even the National Camp, you can ask all those "likes" from your posts to pitch in on your gofundme you'll need to start to pay for the travel and accomodations for such a lucrative opportunity.
  4. If your kid is just a soccer junkie and just loves to play - ABSOLUTELY worth it. Until he/she tells you they're over ODP because their friends aren't doing it anymore or they already have pathways to all those stated goals and purposes through their club team.

To identify players of the highest caliber on a continuing and consistent basis, which will lead to increased success for the U.S. National Teams in the international arena.

Purpose
To identify and provide opportunities for high potential players, facilitate their development, and expose them to the next level of their chosen pathway.

Goal
To be a nationally recognized youth identification and development pathway for US soccer players.

When you sign your kid up for ODP, the above is what you're signing up for. You can evaluate whether the product is worth the time, investment and money accordingly.

My thoughts:
  1. If your kid is younger, not at a club that offers ECNL or MLS, and wants to try out for one of those teams - might be worth it. Coaches from those clubs will show up to see what's out there or check in on their younger kids that don't have a HS season in the winter.
  3. If you want some fun bragging posts on IG - most definitely worth it. All of your friends outside of the soccer community will hear the word "Olympic" and be instantly impressed. Then, if your kid gets an invite to the Regional Camp and maybe even the National Camp, you can ask all those "likes" from your posts to pitch in on your gofundme you'll need to start to pay for the travel and accomodations for such a lucrative opportunity.
  4. If your kid is just a soccer junkie and just loves to play - ABSOLUTELY worth it. Until he/she tells you they're over ODP because their friends aren't doing it anymore or they already have pathways to all those stated goals and purposes through their club team.
Considering the invites to YNT ID camps seem to all come from clubs in ECNL, MLS Next, GA or other club based channels I feel the day has past for ODP. Think you are dead on with your thoughts. Number 4 you need to add the caveat for all the politics that have turned parents/kids off to ODP over the years by picking some players over others not based on performance. By the time they are in the last year of eligibilty the coaches are calling players asking them to show up because they don't have enough quality.

Purpose

Goal

My thoughts:
I agree with this. My kid (06) played one year at u13 with some of her teammates and really enjoyed it. She got invited to the regional camp and made the regional team but couldn't play in the event because of DA at the time. She still talks to some of the players she met at the regional camp and they always try to meet up and take selfies when they are at the same events, the latest was at the last Surf Cup.

My daughter made it last year but not this time. I did notice in her age group (both years) that the final team included many kids who did not tryout, or out or weren't listed on the training pool. One of the parents I know has "complained" in writing to ASA. Not that it will change anything, but I think they need a more clear and more open process. I think where it sucks is when parents drive with their kids that far, and at the end kids who didn't invest the time, are selected. Of course, you want the best players on the team, and if it's communicated properly then I think most would be fine. But the way it has been done is inconsistent and leaves a bad taste

I agree with this. My kid (06) played one year at u13 with some of her teammates and really enjoyed it. She got invited to the regional camp and made the regional team but couldn't play in the event because of DA at the time. She still talks to some of the players she met at the regional camp and they always try to meet up and take selfies when they are at the same events, the latest was at the last Surf Cup.

It’s those moments and relationships that make the whole marathon worth it!!

First off, Bell Bank is a great place to watch soccer. My daughter played with the 2005 Cal South ODP team last year and was in goal for the win in the Championship game. She also represented the West Region in Florida. She was one of the few that wasn't from ECNL. She is still in contact with most of the girls from that team, with almost all of them going to college this coming year, including one player that will join her in college. She only played two years with ODP but it will always be thought of as a great experience for her and myself. Still think it is a way to find diamonds in the rough giving many players chances to shine.

My daughter made it last year but not this time. I did notice in her age group (both years) that the final team included many kids who did not tryout, or out or weren't listed on the training pool. One of the parents I know has "complained" in writing to ASA. Not that it will change anything, but I think they need a more clear and more open process. I think where it sucks is when parents drive with their kids that far, and at the end kids who didn't invest the time, are selected. Of course, you want the best players on the team, and if it's communicated properly then I think most would be fine. But the way it has been done is inconsistent and leaves a bad taste

Anything to do with the process is tainted because it involves Cal South. Politics and money play a bigger roll for player selection especially if the players clubs moved to Socal.

The boys coahing staff's terrible and I won't even scratch the surface with the girls. I've seen some of the best players out left off a team due to chaperones not liking a players parents.

For starters, Change needs to start at the top and what happened and who played 25 years ago has nothing to do with the current environment.

One of many flaws in the process. I know at least one U16 that hasn't played since August but somehow made the team having never put cleats on during tryout or pool. Granted the selection is subjective but ... they can do better. To me this is the worst part of the process and why there is no one left by U17. Plenty of kids develop later and after they have been snubbed for players they know to be worse due to politics or club affiliation it leaves a bad taste in their mouth and they don't come back. Why spend the money and the time when you don't get a fair evaluation. Also teammates of those players start not going as they know the team won't be that good. Looking at the scores .. answer is clearly they aren't.

In Arizona at least, there are 3 componens to ODP (more if your kid moves on to regional or national levels).

1) Identification- it’s clear that the tryout is, at the very least, an opportunity to be identified, but not the only way to be identified. Common sense also dictates that kids are identified by: having been seen by the coaches previously at league games, tournaments and club activities, word of mouth recommendations from other coaches, rostered on higher level/performing teams and historical performance in the ODP program.

2) Selection- after the first 10-12 kids, the next 6-8 are very subjective. I’m sure each coach is different and looking for different things. It’s typically those last 3-4 spots where there is the most dissatisfaction. There are kids as the age goes up who don’t show up for the tryout or pool play for various reasons that may have previously been identified. I don’t see a problem with that. If a coach wants to try and “win”, I don’t see why they shouldn’t be allowed to select players they have previously identified. Again, the tryout and pool is a component of the selection process, not the only opportunity to be selected. In their program overview, they note that there are no negative consequences for missing any of the pool training sessions. When you register, they encourage those that will miss tryouts or the pool to email the technical director.

3) Training and competition- probably the worst part of the process. Very little time to prepare for the showcase with little to no discussion on actual tactics. Simply scrimmaging a couple times to get prepared. Then a 2 week break before an 8AM game on Friday.

It’s a money grab. Your kid can have a fantastic experience and enjoy it though. Are there politics involved? I’m sure to a degree, but I don’t think there’s widespread corruption. I think the coaches want to win, for whatever reason, and that impacts the bottom of the roster.

Also, if your kid makes Regionals or Nationals, the ODP program is an annual program. Which means if your kid goes to Nationals in the ‘22 cycle, they have to restart with new registration, pay all the fees all over again, and go through the entire process again in ‘23. Better stop buying eggs at the grocery store to pay for that trip to Oregon in June .

In Arizona at least, there are 3 componens to ODP (more if your kid moves on to regional or national levels).

1) Identification- it’s clear that the tryout is, at the very least, an opportunity to be identified, but not the only way to be identified. Common sense also dictates that kids are identified by: having been seen by the coaches previously at league games, tournaments and club activities, word of mouth recommendations from other coaches, rostered on higher level/performing teams and historical performance in the ODP program.

2) Selection- after the first 10-12 kids, the next 6-8 are very subjective. I’m sure each coach is different and looking for different things. It’s typically those last 3-4 spots where there is the most dissatisfaction. There are kids as the age goes up who don’t show up for the tryout or pool play for various reasons that may have previously been identified. I don’t see a problem with that. If a coach wants to try and “win”, I don’t see why they shouldn’t be allowed to select players they have previously identified. Again, the tryout and pool is a component of the selection process, not the only opportunity to be selected. In their program overview, they note that there are no negative consequences for missing any of the pool training sessions. When you register, they encourage those that will miss tryouts or the pool to email the technical director.

3) Training and competition- probably the worst part of the process. Very little time to prepare for the showcase with little to no discussion on actual tactics. Simply scrimmaging a couple times to get prepared. Then a 2 week break before an 8AM game on Friday.

It’s a money grab. Your kid can have a fantastic experience and enjoy it though. Are there politics involved? I’m sure to a degree, but I don’t think there’s widespread corruption. I think the coaches want to win, for whatever reason, and that impacts the bottom of the roster.

Also, if your kid makes Regionals or Nationals, the ODP program is an annual program. Which means if your kid goes to Nationals in the ‘22 cycle, they have to restart with new registration, pay all the fees all over again, and go through the entire process again in ‘23. Better stop buying eggs at the grocery store to pay for that trip to Oregon in June .
I don't think #2 is necessarily true. The coaches know who plays where. They may take a flyer on a player that trys out well but most are well known players especially at the older ages. Most of your ODP starters on the girls side are ECNL/GA/ECRL. This is where the problems come in. Players will be selected and not attend some or all of the tryouts or pool training. They are simply given a slot. Is this fair to those that show up and sweat for their slot... no its not. Also there are natural rivalries within the clubs in the valley and the ODP coaches come from those clubs. They will pick players they know or know of from their club over others. Honestly I don't know the coaches want to win. I think they want to advance certain players either from their club or from other coaches they know and trust. The coach mafia is strong at ODP. The other thing is the quality of the coaches. ODP should recruit the top coaches in the valley. No way should a coach of a third tier competitive team be an age level head coach for ODP, yet that happens and is another symptom of the decline of the program.

So on the girls side you had all the CalSouth teams go 3-3 in terms of winning the tournament, boys 0-6

The only Cal South winners were girls U15,U14,U12.

Embarrassing showing by the boys program.

The coach mafia is strong at ODP. The other thing is the quality of the coaches. ODP should recruit the top coaches in the valley. No way should a coach of a third tier competitive team be an age level head coach for ODP, yet that happens and is another symptom of the decline of the program.

I only see one from Cal South and that's at the Discovery Level.

Here's who's do doing the evaluating and coaching on the girls side for Cal South.

Steve Hoffman - Head Coach Ventura Community College
Michael Munoz - Assistant Coach Ventura Community College
Sara Garcia - Volunteer Assistant Coach Ventura Community College (Hoffman's Granddaughter)
Eric Lowa - Goal Keeper Trainer - Legends FC
Emilee Tominovich - Beach South Bay 2005 (Discovery)
Guadalupe Magana - No Previous Coaching Experience / NSCAA All-American 2013
Wendy Espejel - Soka University Head Coach NAIA
John Napier - Most Experienced Coach before the transition from black and white to Color TV

My oldest participated in Cal South ODP and the experience was mixed. She made the roster in 2020 (regionals) and 2022 (regionals), was invited to the inter-regional event in November 2020 (cancelled) and was invited to a few ODP camps. Whole heartedly agree (as others have mentioned) she made friends for life and enjoyed the experience.

As a parent, I’ve always been skeptical of the selection process as it seems (and is rather clear) that most players come from just a handful of clubs.

This year, of the 18 girls on the 2009 roster, (6) were from one club/team. The 2008 roster had (8) from one club/team. Doesn’t seem there is much evaluation going on prior to players being invited

So on the girls side you had all the CalSouth teams go 3-3 in terms of winning the tournament, boys 0-6

The only Cal South winners were girls U15,U14,U12.

Embarrassing showing by the boys program.
Last year there were still a number of ECNL players in ODP. 4 girls teams won it all (05,07,08,09), 1 boys team (07). What was the top state for winners this year?

Last year there were still a number of ECNL players in ODP. 4 girls teams won it all (05,07,08,09), 1 boys team (07). What was the top state for winners this year?

I think you still have a lot of ECNL players, at least on the girls side, participating in ODP. This year’s 2008 ODP team had 8 of the 18 girls from the same ECNL team…Eagles (currently in second place). The 2009 team had 6 of the 18 from the Blues ECNL team.

My only question would be: Why so many from the same club? As there are undoubtedly plenty of girls, even ones not playing at that level, who are capable of making an ODP roster. Is truly going out and evaluating talent, too daunting of a task? Or could it be that some clubs do a poor job of reaching out and suggesting that they have girls that should be added to the player pool?

Back