More potential NCAA changes

I have a very good friend whose daughter is studying biology in England and then plays on the soccer team for fun and competition. The schools in England are more specific, like a biology only Big U. Gov pays a little, Parents pay a little, she works part time to pay a little and she gets a little help for being on the club soccer team for the school. Soccer is very popular in England. I think we need to blow up this sports system and just focus on your specific trade.
College is a place people go to learn a "trade" as you defined. If this is the case do college coach's have an obligation to train student athletes for playing the game professionally?

If above is true why did Mens D1 soccer only change to International substitution rules recently. And again if true why doesn't Women's D1 soccer follow international rules for substitutions? If this is how the game is played professionally colleges should mirror it while preparing players to play professionally.

The answer is that college sports have lost their way. Through the NCAA enablement of student athlete exploitation college sports became entertainment, a spectacle, and a recruitment tool. Now that NCAA is losing in court and colleges will soon be forced to pay players it will be interesting to see how many just drop sports all together.

Best thing that could happen is college sports goes away, and colleges focus on education and research. The althetes can continue to play in free-market sports leagues for compensation, or in local leagues for the love of playing the game.
I've been kicking this conclusion in my head since the NIL decision came down. Like the last poster said, this conundrum is one most people just can't wrap their heads around, me included. I'm pretty much a fanatic of college sports, so it is hard to swallow for me, but there doesn't seem to be any other outcome that has a more logical basic. Sports just isn't properly in the mission of an institution of higher learning. TOTALLY fun, and college wouldn't be the same, but there's no logic to it - - at least no logic that sticks with all these thorny issues to be resolved. It just comes down to: everyone wants money and college sports gives lots of people money.

I've been kicking this conclusion in my head since the NIL decision came down. Like the last poster said, this conundrum is one most people just can't wrap their heads around, me included. I'm pretty much a fanatic of college sports, so it is hard to swallow for me, but there doesn't seem to be any other outcome that has a more logical basic. Sports just isn't properly in the mission of an institution of higher learning. TOTALLY fun, and college wouldn't be the same, but there's no logic to it - - at least no logic that sticks with all these thorny issues to be resolved. It just comes down to: everyone wants money and college sports gives lots of people money.
I think part of the purpose of college sports is to create an on campus social scene.

Colleges have symphonies and theater productions. This serves to entertain both the audience and the participants. At many schools, sports fit into that space.

It gets weird when alumni donations turn out to depend on the W/L record of the football team. That's when you get scholarships, million-dollar coach salaries, and so on. But that's nothing to do with sports. You'd see a 5 million dollar theater director salary if there was TV revenue on the line.

I think part of the purpose of college sports is to create an on campus social scene.

Colleges have symphonies and theater productions. This serves to entertain both the audience and the participants. At many schools, sports fit into that space.

It gets weird when alumni donations turn out to depend on the W/L record of the football team. That's when you get scholarships, million-dollar coach salaries, and so on. But that's nothing to do with sports. You'd see a 5 million dollar theater director salary if there was TV revenue on the line.
I really don't buy your opening sentence above. If it was qualified with football and basketball, then I'd say it's slightly closer to the truth. That said, I don't even then agree ... its all about the money. My eldest just started in college - the football ticket allocation for the students section in his college is 10% of the stadium capacity. They have to pay for those tickets, if they get them (demand based, money still taken!). That's it. They are not expecting students to fill the rest of the stadium though.

Generally football (mostly) and basketball pay for everything else, if even. Take those two out, and the rest fold as unsustainable. Nobody is going to pay additional tuition fees to subsidize college sports. As for the amount the college coaches get paid, that's just obscene.

I really don't buy your opening sentence above. If it was qualified with football and basketball, then I'd say it's slightly closer to the truth. That said, I don't even then agree ... its all about the money. My eldest just started in college - the football ticket allocation for the students section in his college is 10% of the stadium capacity. They have to pay for those tickets, if they get them (demand based, money still taken!). That's it. They are not expecting students to fill the rest of the stadium though.

Generally football (mostly) and basketball pay for everything else, if even. Take those two out, and the rest fold as unsustainable. Nobody is going to pay additional tuition fees to subsidize college sports. As for the amount the college coaches get paid, that's just obscene.
My daughters current university fundamentally changed after it became a members of the PAC12 thirteen years ago (obviously when the PAC12 still had prestige). The amount of money and exposure that it brought into the school, not just for sports, but donorship for academics and facilities (not to mention enrollment) was just insane. The academics improved so dramatically that WSJ rated it the best public school in the West.

NCAA is going to keep the collectives terminology + think they just need to explain it better to the judge that has already rejected it

Good choice, judges generally love when lawyers explain to them why they made the wrong decision

Best thing that could happen is college sports goes away, and colleges focus on education and research. The athletes can continue to play in free-market sports leagues for compensation, or in local leagues for the love of playing the game.
Disagree. College athletes are better students than regular students. After graduation they hold a higher percentage of jobs and income. I'm hiring the applicant that got a degree and played 4 years of sports over someone that just got a degree. Having the focus to juggle their time between school and a sport (and work for many of them), learning to work in groups and teams. Much more rounded students.

NCAA is going to keep the collectives terminology + think they just need to explain it better to the judge that has already rejected it

Good choice, judges generally love when lawyers explain to them why they made the wrong decision
I've been reading that many on the NCAA side are now leaning towards a jury trial. It would be fun to watch this if I wasn't worried what might happen to my kids scholarship.

Disagree. College athletes are better students than regular students. After graduation they hold a higher percentage of jobs and income. I'm hiring the applicant that got a degree and played 4 years of sports over someone that just got a degree. Having the focus to juggle their time between school and a sport (and work for many of them), learning to work in groups and teams. Much more rounded students.
I'm hiring the person who got their degree, worked part time and took no loans out. I will super hire you if you worked part time, played sports and got degree and did it all with no loans. Now that is a Unicorn :)

absolutely. resume straight to the top every time for me. I'm seeing it right now in high school. The average kid vs the sports kid and the commitment and focus required to stay top of the game in both is crazy. To all those freshman out there playing ECNL or MLS Next and multiple Varsity Sports their Freshman year my hats off to you.

I am not sure with the correlation between college athletes and "regular" students. People play club sports are from privilege, high income families. Statistically these kids will have better jobs and higher income. It is not a direct result of playing soccer in college.

I'll hire a "street smart" employee over a "book smart" employee every day of the week. Kids that play sports or worked during college tend to know there way around things better than some kid that can regurgitate information from a textbook. That "street smart" kid is better at handling challenges and not stopping at speed bumps.

I'll hire a "street smart" employee over a "book smart" employee every day of the week. Kids that play sports or worked during college tend to know there way around things better than some kid that can regurgitate information from a textbook. That "street smart" kid is better at handling challenges and not stopping at speed bumps.
100%. I remember getting hired with the Yellow Pages back in early 90s. Degree was required to get interviewed. However, a new VP of Sales told the Elites at the top that we need to higher some street-smart door knockers who won't take no for an answer. I was hired because I was street smart. My sales training class was about 30 and 29 had a degree. Miss USC was #1 in our class. Did the best at roll play and was voted most likely to succeed. She quit the first month because she didn't like being told, "GTF out of my store you loser." I learned from the street what the real objections were and learned how to overcome them. I became #1 and the rest is history.

"Over the past four fiscal years, the organization spent an astonishing $234 million on legal fees"

"In 2011, the NCAA only spent $4.1 million on legal fees, compared to $61.5 million last year. The organization’s investments only generated $2.5 million more than they expended on legal fees last year. This is the business equivalent of a 103 degree temperature. Something is very, very wrong."

NCAA won't be able to continue fighting all the lawsuits soon. Amazing when you consider college could pay players as employees and everything would work out. All this just to continue exploiting student athletes.

NCAA just got rid of the National Letter of intent.

This means players can be added or removed up until the day they step on campus.

It also means that players can go to the highest bidder and change bidders up until the day they step on campus.

NCAA just got rid of the National Letter of intent.

This means players can be added or removed up until the day they step on campus.

It also means that players can go to the highest bidder and change bidders up until the day they step on campus.
More details...

Change is Inevitable. NLI had a lot of grey area. It was far from perfect.
The national letter of intent for college athletes is going away. But terms in the LOI aren’t. They’ll be incorporated into new agreements between schools & athletes that lay out the athlete’s compensation (NIL, Alston, scholarship aid, etc.).Will be important contracts. Some of the language that was previously in the letter of intent will now be incorporated into school scholarship/financial aid agreements. And instead of the NLI program being something separate from the NCAA, its rules and regs will be incorporated into NCAA bylaws.

Change is Inevitable. NLI had a lot of grey area. It was far from perfect.
The national letter of intent for college athletes is going away. But terms in the LOI aren’t. They’ll be incorporated into new agreements between schools & athletes that lay out the athlete’s compensation (NIL, Alston, scholarship aid, etc.).Will be important contracts. Some of the language that was previously in the letter of intent will now be incorporated into school scholarship/financial aid agreements. And instead of the NLI program being something separate from the NCAA, its rules and regs will be incorporated into NCAA bylaws.
The big difference is that whatever contracts are signed aren't binding to either party (player or coach). In the past once you signed NIL with a college other colleges could no longer recruit you.

Now a jerkoff college coach could verbally commit to a player with the intention to keep looking for better and replace them at the last minute. Leaving the player out in the cold without a team.

The other side of the coin is that players can commit speak with multiple schools playing their offers against each other all the way up to the day before attending classes in college. Leaving open a roster spot that needs to be filled last minute.

This is going to open the door for agents to get involved with players being recruited. There's too much potentially going on in the last minute for a single coach or player to be able to manage it all.

Back