Labor Day Heat Wave

This...

OMG the sky is falling .. the thermometer its... its.... at almost 90 <gasp>. We live this day in and and day out for years. It does not stop us from practicing or playing. Think of the teams in GA and TX. 90 degrees and 100% humidity. You make this sound like the heatpocalypse. It may be uncomfortable but with simple preparation and common sense and it is easily doable. So if your weather isn't absolutely perfect you should not play? You are seriously spoiled by your climate. Hope your teams never have to travel to Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix or Houston in May or you just may melt.
Common sense? What on earth makes you think people accustomed to 72 degree days have common sense for how to deal with heat waves?

Common sense? What on earth makes you think people accustomed to 72 degree days have common sense for how to deal with heat waves?
Yep, common sense. If your team has been practicing/playing in an aveage temp of 72 DEG in norcal, and the average temp in socal (wherever the games will be held) are going to be above 100, you should be acutely aware of how dangerous that can be. Don't expect the tournmanent organizers to care much. They'll throw a few more trainers at it, maybe give local EMS a heads up. There will be water breaks, etc. Sounds to me like parents need to use commo sense...and maybe the clubs as well. Living in 72 DEG and playing 5 games over 3 days in excess of 100 deg likely not a good idea.

Now, if you live in socal, especially inland, then no big deal if managed correctly. Common sense again - ulittles playing in the heat can be dangerous. They aren't exactly known for their nutritional prowess. If you live in AZ and have been practicing since 1 AUG at 4:15 pm, your perspective is different.

Pretty myopic view considering this is amateur youth soccer we're talking about. We as parents do lots of things to mitigate risks for our kids. When I was a kid you didn't have a concussion unless you couldn't remember your name. Now we know more about brain injuries and limit headers for the littles. This is a good thing. Telling your kid to suck it up and quit whining is not the best parenting if there are real risks of injury. Every parent can make the decision that is right for their kid.
It's not myopic if you live/practice/play in the heat. As crazy as it may appear (and it often is crazy) kids in AZ are acclimated to the heat. 100s of kids every day are out in the heat every day participating in youth sports. The coaches understand and adjust accordingly. If you don't live in these conditions, then you should parent and not be bullied by your club to suck it up and play in conditions not favorable to the potential health of your child.

Sounds to me like temperate climate clubs and the parents need to make some decisions about this type of stuff. Generally speaking, adolescents make poor nutrional choices..not good when subjected to extreme heat.

Yeah GLangevinito don’t lump everyone together, for many people youth soccer games are so meaningful that it’s totally worth risking their kids getting heat stroke. To each their own. Crazy!

More faulty generalizations I see!! Guess what, if you think your kid will get heat stroke, don't play. Since there are kids getting heat stroke and falling over all the time, better be safe. Like wearing a mask outside, keeping kids home from school for a year, not giving kids an F in school, making sure everyone gets an award. That's what the snowflake comment @tjinaz was talking about!

It's not myopic if you live/practice/play in the heat. As crazy as it may appear (and it often is crazy) kids in AZ are acclimated to the heat. 100s of kids every day are out in the heat every day participating in youth sports. The coaches understand and adjust accordingly. If you don't live in these conditions, then you should parent and not be bullied by your club to suck it up and play in conditions not favorable to the potential health of your child.

Sounds to me like temperate climate clubs and the parents need to make some decisions about this type of stuff. Generally speaking, adolescents make poor nutrional choices..not good when subjected to extreme heat.

Do you think these kids are coming from somewhere in the artic to play these games? They have been practicing in the heat all summer and this past week, its not something new

Do you think these kids are coming from somewhere in the artic to play these games? They have been practicing in the heat all summer and this past week, its not something new
wut are you talking about and who are you talking to? Who are these kidz and where are they coming from? What "heat" have they been practicing in? CA is a pretty big state....san jose weather doesn't = Norco weather....a few days of "heat" doesn't acclimate anyone.

If your ulittle hasn't been playing in temps close to what they will be playing in this weekend, be cautious. 1 game, no big deal with close supervision. 5 games over 3 days...increased risk. Common sense really. But you do you. Make sure your ulittle drinks and eats, doesn't hang around after the game, eats a good lunch/dinner, and is in bed early. Make sure you get plenty of shade and drink while watching from the sideline.

if you are a parent of an older, they are most susceptible since they know it all and parents are scared of the club coaches. They are normally the age group that dies of heat stroke.

More faulty generalizations I see!! Guess what, if you think your kid will get heat stroke, don't play. Since there are kids getting heat stroke and falling over all the time, better be safe. Like wearing a mask outside, keeping kids home from school for a year, not giving kids an F in school, making sure everyone gets an award. That's what the snowflake comment @tjinaz was talking about!
Now who's generalizing? Seems like you've got a lot on your chest. It's okay get it all out!

Oh you mean arctic. I thought you said attic. My kids train in the attic it's like 160 degrees up there. So yeah they're hella ready for some meaningful games.

I ask myself would I play in this condition. If the answer is no, I won't subject my kid to it. As simple as that. Especially if the club chooses to play a tournament in the desert when there is one on the coast in the same weekend.

my son is playing at the tourney at silverlakes. our schedule for just the first game has changed 3 times since yesterday. good lord. either play the games, or cancel the tourney. My dd plays collegiately in Texas. They have a game in Norcal that was supposed to be played at 2:00pm on Sunday. Guess what? It was moved to 11am due to excessive heat warning. D1 level won't play in that hot train wreck of the afternoon sun. both our kids grew up in the az weather. acclimated, but idk if either really enjoy being out there getting lit up by the sun. i will be under shade and a cooler of provisions to lessen the pain, all the while yelling to keep going as the kids swelter and want to run away...lol..good times in ie.

100% agree!

I ask myself would I play in this condition. If the answer is no, I won't subject my kid to it. As simple as that. Especially if the club chooses to play a tournament in the desert when there is one on the coast in the same weekend.
At the end of the day, any tournament still playing in this weather is about the money and the venue is about the parking fees. As a parent, make the decision that is best for your kid. Not the team, the club, the tournament or the venue. It should be a very easy decision.

At the end of the day, any tournament still playing in this weather is about the money and the venue is about the parking fees. As a parent, make the decision that is best for your kid. Not the team, the club, the tournament or the venue. It should be a very easy decision.

It'll be 90 degrees tomorrow at the Blues Cup in Oceanside. Hot and humid LET'S GO! lol Glad we'll be at the bay paddle boarding.

43 lightning strike deaths per year.
702 heat stroke deaths per year.
You tough heat loving elites shouldn't let these snowflakes cancel games for thunderstorms either. Those players down in Florida probably just pull off Elasticos and Cruyff around the lightning bolts when they hit the field at practice.
Seriously though, we should give extreme temperatures the same considerations as other high risk weather events. Why risk a death for bragging rights over a tournament win; heat related deaths are obviously much more likely, and therfore a higher risk than playing in lightning.

Oh you mean arctic. I thought you said attic. My kids train in the attic it's like 160 degrees up there. So yeah they're hella ready for some meaningful games.

So what would you say would be the hottest it should be before the games get cancelled. Particularly in the Inland Empire where average temp in June, July, Aug. and Sept. is in the 90s and July and August are mid 90's?

Back