Labor Day Heat Wave

So Cal is facing near historic-record temps this weekend, over 110 degrees inland. If your kids aren't playing on the coast, PROTECT THEM. Kids can suffer heat stroke.

Symptoms of heat stroke include:
  • Confusion, altered mental status, slurred speech.
  • Loss of consciousness (coma)
  • Hot, dry skin or profuse sweating.
  • Seizures.
  • Very high body temperature
Playing in another meaningless game is not worth the risk to your child's health. Ask the tournament director to switch times, or just sit your kid out.

So Cal is facing near historic-record temps this weekend, over 110 degrees inland. If your kids aren't playing on the coast, PROTECT THEM. Kids can suffer heat stroke.

Playing in another meaningless game is not worth the risk to your child's health. Ask the tournament director to switch times, or just sit your kid out.

Was wondering about this. I’ve seen guidelines for playing soccer in the heat, and our area caps playing safely at under 90 degrees F. (You’re not even supposed to play at all if it’s above that.)

Do any of the sanctioning bodies/tournaments follow any sort of safety rules with regards to heat?

Was wondering about this. I’ve seen guidelines for playing soccer in the heat, and our area caps playing safely at under 90 degrees F. (You’re not even supposed to play at all if it’s above that.)

Do any of the sanctioning bodies/tournaments follow any sort of safety rules with regards to heat?
How about the parents? At what point do they get the kids out of the heat and just leave?

How about the parents? At what point do they get the kids out of the heat and just leave?

That sounds so simple and easy to do! Have you ever let your players play in conditions that seemed too hot?

How many people travel to AZ in the fall for league games (like mid-September for back to back 1 PM games)? And those are 35-45 minute halves with no re-entry per half.

At least most tournaments are 30 minute halves with free subbing. (Maybe coaches should refresh the field players every 2-3 minutes.)

I’m not saying any of this is ok. I’m just saying it’s hard to be the one to pull their kid (for any reason, including excessive heat).

Thankful to be playing in Oceanside this weekend. And for once, my kid will probably be happy the halves are only 30 minutes.

That sounds so simple and easy to do! Have you ever let your players play in conditions that seemed too hot?

How many people travel to AZ in the fall for league games (like mid-September for back to back 1 PM games)? And those are 35-45 minute halves with no re-entry per half.

At least most tournaments are 30 minute halves with free subbing. (Maybe coaches should refresh the field players every 2-3 minutes.)

I’m not saying any of this is ok. I’m just saying it’s hard to be the one to pull their kid (for any reason, including excessive heat).
A referee yelled at me once because I tossed my son a water bottle during a stoppage in play. I yelled back at him. During the conversation, my son watered up and then tossed the bottle back to me.

How those poor kids playing soccer in Africa? :rolleyes:

Your question was meant in jest, but it should be answered. People who live in hot and/or humid climates acclimate over time to the temperatures and can generally withstand higher temperatures and greater exertion. It does not remove the danger, but acclimation can mitigate it.

Qatar is in Asia not Africa.
It is, however, relevant to the discussion of soccer in intense heat.

Take a look at Khartoum, Aswan, or Niamey if you need an African example. Ajaxahi was cheating by only including cities that are either coastal (Lagos, Casablanca), or at elevation (Nairobi, Johannesburg)

Be careful and fully hydrate well in advance of the activity.

Its not just game playing either, practice in the heat can be a problem.

Couple years ago a HS aged player passed away after/during club practice, possibly due to heatstroke out in ontario ca this time of year.

Many Schools have heat and air quality guidelines! All youth sports should have them as well during any playing, prep, or practicing.

Rebels Tournament in Temecula is not going to have games between noonish and 4 this weekend and extra water breaks

Still ~ 100 or more @ 4pm and Excessive Heat Warning until 8 PM PDT MONDAY

105-107 projections are really not good for soccer activities no matter if it cool downs a few degrees later

It is a real risk. Look at the available info on the internet about "wet bulb globe thermometer" and the risks of heat-related injury/death and decide for your own kid if it is worth the risk - keeping in mind that it is the VERY rare kid who will take him or herself out when the risk or heat stroke creeps up on them. When the signs of heat stroke are visible, there might not be much time to act.

Still ~ 100 or more @ 4pm and Excessive Heat Warning until 8 PM PDT MONDAY

105-107 projections are really not good for soccer activities no matter if it cool downs a few degrees later

glad we are not plying in Rebels

the proposed changes may not even fix the issue, and if you Have 9v9 or younger looks like the game time will be max of what , 35 mins ?

Back